PDA

View Full Version : Decline? What decline?

Martin the Warrior
December 1st, 2003, 10:20 PM
Just a quick note to let everyone know Terrouge's December issue is up, featuring Keyla's long-awaited rebuttal to the argument that there is a "decline" in the Redwall Series.

Read the article for yourself here (http://terrouge.com/terr/article10.html).

Keyla-- you did an excellent job with the article. Well-thought-out, well-reasoned, and very interesting to read. I wouldn't be surprised if you convinced a few people to reconsider their positions. I'll say this over at Terrouge, too, once their December Issue forum goes up. ;) Nice job!

Everyone else-- go read it.

t@gg :)
December 2nd, 2003, 01:44 PM
great article, keyla.

Nora the Rover
December 2nd, 2003, 06:49 PM
The editorial was very well-written! It changed my views on how I thought of the books, I'd been wondering alot about that issue, so it was a big help. Good job. :D

Glenner
December 2nd, 2003, 07:21 PM
Excellent article. Keyla made some great points there.

LadyBeelze
December 3rd, 2003, 09:28 AM
Great Article =) =P =0

Keyla
December 3rd, 2003, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the positive feedback, everyone. I appologise for the rather odd punctuation in places; I think it must have somehow changed when I e-mailed the file of when the article was uploaded to the ezine.

Chelki Sureshot
December 4th, 2003, 12:37 AM
No offense, but you sounded like kids I know at school that hate Redwall. It was critical through and through. Of course they might be declining a little bit, but do you know how many pages he's written? I don't think any of us could write that much and still come up with fresh ideas for every book. And I think the Rackety Tam sounds good. We've never had a mercenary before. And I think the voices add a lot to the character. It's dull if they all sound exactly the same. It was a well written article, but I think you're being to hard on BJ.

rowanoak
December 4th, 2003, 01:46 PM
Pretty good editorial, IMO. I think that as people get older, their taste get more refined and they expect more(in general) out of the various kinds books or media that they use, and this can lead to them not liking certain books, TV shows ect... as much as they used to.

Keyla
December 4th, 2003, 02:14 PM
No offense, but you sounded like kids I know at school that hate Redwall. It was critical through and through. Of course they might be declining a little bit, but do you know how many pages he's written? I don't think any of us could write that much and still come up with fresh ideas for every book. And I think the Rackety Tam sounds good. We've never had a mercenary before. And I think the voices add a lot to the character. It's dull if they all sound exactly the same. It was a well written article, but I think you're being to hard on BJ.
The article was against the notion of this so called "decline". The aim was to show that he is not repeating himself in his latter books but developing it. In looking at the different arguements for the supposed drop in quality I tried to address them in a fair manner instead of simply writing them off without though but then showing their flaws and, in parts, bad perspectives. In order to do this I looked at the truth in them then showed the holes. This may have conveyed the idea that I agreed with them; I most certainly do not.
In regards to the accents I agree that they do add a richness to the characters and the books themselves. The arguement being made by some was that beyond this there was nothing to the newer hares and mole but that and that therefore the series was declining in that aspect. However, I did not agree with this. On the contrary, I think we have seen some of the best hare characters in the series in recent books, to focus on the species specifically addressed, and I have not even read "Loamhedge" yet, where there are, I have heard, several key characters of that species.
I never intended for the article to be critical of the series or Brian's writing, which I still hold in great esteme. If anyone finds a bit in the article that suggests the contrary, please post it or e-mail me so I can be more careful in regards to that in the future.
Chelki, thankyou for giving such a well put reply with such conviction. There are those in the ROC who do think that the series is declining and suppose it is a debate that will never go away, but posts like yours keep the sense of optimism alive in the community when some, and I repeat some, simply want to criticise.

Slagar the Cruel
December 24th, 2003, 01:58 PM
I'm a bit late in responding to your editorial, Keyla... *cough* but I just thought I'd tell you that I thought it was great. Like Martin said, well-thought-out, well-reasoned, and very interesting to read. It was definately the best article Terrouge has carried in a while.

Keyla
December 24th, 2003, 04:51 PM
I am sorry I did not mention this before, I meant to post it but never got round to it.
Thankyou to everyone whose imput in threads in the forum contributed to this article. I meant to put a footing at the bottom of the article but forgot in the rush. Once again a big thankyou.