PDA

View Full Version : Redwall VG

Darkhood_343
November 7th, 2002, 12:08 PM
And the time is riiiiiiiight...Now! I'd like to start one but I just don't know whaat to say..

Dandin said this reffering to a redwall video game thread so I'll start one. First of all I want to let u all know that this will NEVER happen. When me and Sarkin went to meat Brian, Sarkin asked if there was gonna be a VG 'bout Redwall and he said no 'cause he HATES VIDEO GAMES!!! Okay, now that u all know that My idea for a Redawll game would either be an RPG(like Final Fantasty) or an adventure game (like Zelda:Ocarnia of Time) with cool cutscenes. Another idea is the same thing but with cel-shading.

Slagar the Cruel
November 7th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Personally, I'm happy with no Redwall video games. I'm unsure of Redwall's ability to translate into a video game. It would either be an RPG, which would mean random encounters, which would NOT fit in with Redwall (a party of rats attack Matthias!)... or it would be a completely non-Redwallish type of game with a Redwall theme applied to it, which while good for some fun between fans (:rolleyes: *whistles* ;)) would be bad for obvious reasons... or a strategy game of some kind, which has the *slightest* chance of working as a Redwall game, maybe, possibly... but I can't see anybody actually making. So in short, an actual Redwall game just wouldn't work. IMHO. ;)

I'm also happy with no Redwall games because I have a lot of respect for BJ's willingness to protect his books from commercialization... which J.K. Rowling, suffice to say, failed MISERABLY at. ;)

dandin1
November 7th, 2002, 06:15 PM
well, I think that a fan-made strategy game (like V I) would be good. What I would like to se is a redwall game that is not 'Official', but made by someone who had time on it's hands.

I said Strategy game because an RPG, or a game where you're one person and you walk around a 3D world would be to complex for 'Joe Redwall obssesed guy with way to much time on his hands'. A strategy game, on the other hand, could be made with a game like that more complex version of Games Factery, that slagar talked about on MSN.

* Slagar the Cruel: Never Trust a VCR - 08/22/02 14:49:03 **
[14:58] :'(dandin1 says: ah
[14:58] Slagar the Cruel: Never Trust a VCR says: Clickteam made a new Game creator, too... Multimedia Fusion.
[14:59] Slagar the Cruel: Never Trust a VCR says: But it's much more expensive... 100-some dollars, I think. :O
[14:59] :'(dandin1 says: ouch
[14:59] Slagar the Cruel: Never Trust a VCR says: And I looked at a demo... and it's only an updated Games Factory with a couple new features and a slightly more needlessly complex interface.
[15:00] Slagar the Cruel: Never Trust a VCR says: Although a few of the features would be EXTREMELY useful...
[15:00] Slagar the Cruel: Never Trust a VCR says: You can give objects personal values... that would be GREAT for making strategy games.
[15:01] :'(dandin1 says: wow, a redwall strategy game would be nifty.

MoonShadow
November 7th, 2002, 07:16 PM
Hey, you stole my idea! ;) No, I'm not upset at you or anything.

Now for my opinion.... I have always thought that Redwall would make a nice video game, or maybe my mind is so warped with computer animation thingies that maybe in my head, I'm unconciously want a Redwall game for its graphics. :\

Well anyway, it'd fellow the storyline , and maybe contain more than one book, but probably not, since that's not a very good idea in the game-producer's viewpoint if they want to make more money from it, but... I'll stop that idea here, since I could go on for awhile with stuff that nobody but me will be able to understand...

Anyway, it still seems like a cool concept... If BJ can get out an educational Redwall computer game, that would be great as well.

dandin1
November 7th, 2002, 07:20 PM
Well, if there is a RWgame, it's not going to come from BJ's direction. From what bleez said, BJ hates Video Games. (no supprise there...) So I stick with my idea that a fan would make it... BTWm I off to download the Advanced Games Factory demo..... When I have time, of course!

I don't know about 'educational' (uuhhg)
You (or mabey only I) always lose interest fast in those educational games...

Chesk Otter
November 7th, 2002, 09:16 PM
Vermin Invaders is AWESOME! :slagar ! Just so you know (I think someone said something about this) the idea of a game is not original. In fact, I'm planning one if I get time. However, I would not like to see an official Redwall game. If there was a Redwall game, it would be the beginning of the downfall of Redwall. I think that Harry Potter is ruined too. I woulda just been happy with the books. But then they gotta make all this other stuff. Also, 3D is not good. It is easier to represent the characters and it just plain looks better with something like NES graphics. The reason so many people still play their any NES games is because more time went into the game than the graphics. A Redwall game should be made by a fan who has time, it should not be made by an official company, as that would ruin the books. A company would put more time into graphics. A fan who knows the books and knows what other fans want should make it. Basically, an official game would never happen and it should not, but if done the right way, a non-official game is good.

Lyrian Aryns
November 7th, 2002, 09:16 PM
Well, even though this really isn't an issue, I would argue against an official, game console, buy-in-stores video game... number one, *I* wouldn't be able to play it, and since we all know that I'm the most important person in the world... :rolleyes: and number two... well, what Slagar said. Yeah. Gee, I hope that doesn't sound too stupid...

But, basically, I agree that a strategy game would be interesting. Yes.

But, if I may ask... how could a Redwall game be educational? :\

Baby Rollo
November 8th, 2002, 07:03 AM
Well, if there was a videogame, I think it should be like the game Morrowind--except better. You get to pick your species and gender and your skills and stuff like that. Then you do quests and fight roaming groups of vermin. However, there are dibbun mini games like pinching pies from the kitchen or seeing how much strawberry cordial you can drink before you have to go to the bathroom. But there is also a strategy part when you fight a whole vermin army!

But you can also play as the vermin and attack mice and other things or lead an army.

That would be a good Redwall game. But it won't be made unless BJ started liking video games.

dandin1
November 8th, 2002, 07:11 AM
ok. We woudnt call it a Video Game, we'll call it a computer game. Because anybody can make a computer game, you just need practice and time. Only 'official' companies can make a console game.

I never liked those game where you can pick who you are, and pick your gender, weapons, armor etc... I'd stick with strategy....
The way Redwall is, I don't think we could make a game like "Commander Keen"

Martin the Warrior
November 8th, 2002, 04:09 PM
This is always an interesting topic. ;) Brian's dislike of video games, by the way, stems from his general dislike of technology. He doesn't like to use computers, not even electric typewriters. He's an old fashioned kind of guy and, as such, would never allow his creation to become a video game.

Now, right off I'll tell you that I oppose any Redwall game, be it console or PC. There is a line between respectable book series and cash-cow that must never be crossed in Redwall's case, and this would most certainly do it.

That being said, I can envision a few scenarios where Redwall could be made into a decent video game. My top choice would be a 3D adventure set up, similar to the Mario and Zelda games. Instead of a combat game (which isn't required to make a good game), it could focus on the riddle aspect of Jacques' books and you would have to scour the Abbey for clues, perform tasks such as giving Ambrose a hand in the cellar, etc. Keep the game rooted in Abbey life and you can stay true to the books while making an interesting game.

Now, for the strategy fans in there, I'd suggest crafting a game around Salamandastron in the style of StarCraft/WarCraft. A plausible story could be crafted over a Badger Lord leading a campaign against an invading vermin army, culminating in the defense of the mountain itself. Different species allows for different unit-types and more in-depth gameplay.

Those are just a few of the ways a worthwhile game could be crafted (although I oppose it strongly).

I also disagree with the idea that a fan in a garage could do better than an official company. Not all companies pour their every effort into graphics. And nice graphics aren't a crime. There just needs to be a very good balance between graphics, gameplay, sound, and all the other factors. I'd much rather have a programmer who knows what they're doing making the game. But, that's just me.

As a point of interest, a few years ago I'd have opposed any video game about Lord of the Rings. Yet, lo and behold, I find that The Two Towers is an excellent sword-fighting sim that is a lot of fun to play. So, game makers can surprise you.

MoonShadow
November 8th, 2002, 04:18 PM
And this is my idea of a topic. *glares at Dark-Dark* ;)

Well, rollo's dibbun mini-games seems to be a good idea. It'd be fun to be throwing pies and stuff and having scoff contests. :)

Well, and "educational" Redwall game would be like using your mind to solve riddles and stuff I think (don't remember), and BJ mentioned something about a game where you would solve riddles and stuff somewhere.... (Ooh... repetitive sentence. :\)

Chances are that Redwall will not become a video game while BJ's alive, but maybe many years later when Redwall becomes some sort of legendary work (:confused:) like with Tolkien's, maybe a video game or pc game will be created....

Chesk Otter
November 8th, 2002, 04:41 PM
I think that you're talking about the Redwall CD-ROM. It's been put on hold. It said in Ask Brian 4.

THE REDWALL SERIES WILL NOT BE TOUCHED WHEN BRIAN JACQUES STOPS WRITING! It would be ruined. Not even a video game. Brian Jacques wouldn't want it and Redwall would be turned into the Harry Potter craze. :eek: NEVER!

Baby Rollo
November 8th, 2002, 05:57 PM
I think Harry Potter is going to lose its popularity without the 5th book arriving soon. She delayed it even before I was born. I think. The 5th book better be worth the wait.

Chesk Otter
November 8th, 2002, 06:04 PM
What are you talking about?! Sorry, but your post didn't make sense, or part of it. I'll keep reading Harry Potter. I think it's good that it will lose popularity. Finally it will stop being a craze, but I don't think it will ever be known again for just being a good book series.

dandin1
November 8th, 2002, 06:09 PM
Re-Aligns the topic. We are not talking about HP, we're talking about a readwall computer game!

I talked about I would prefer a fan-in-a-garage-transformed-into-a-computer-labatory, because a caompny doing it would mean that it was BJ decision, and that would go like what happened to JK. But a fan-in-a-garage-tranformed-int(... yhea) woulf be free, and other stuff

MoonShadow
November 8th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Well, if Redwall were to go into a HP marketing craze... *shudders* Imagine a Redwall trading card game, redwall strawberry cordial making sets.... Well, I personally don't care whether it be a fan-in-a-garage-thing or a huge's company's product, as long as it's decent.

Baby Rollo
November 8th, 2002, 06:39 PM
I want a strawberry cordial making set! But the people in the cellar are going to teach me how to make strawberry cordial anyway. I drink a gallon a day at least. That's why I have to go to the bathroom a lot.

The Red Badger
November 8th, 2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by dandin1
I talked about I would prefer a fan-in-a-garage-transformed-into-a-computer-labatory, because a caompny doing it would mean that it was BJ decision, and that would go like what happened to JK. But a fan-in-a-garage-tranformed-int(... yhea) woulf be free, and other stuff

And would more than likely stink because we'd be stuck with *that* person's view of what Redwall should be. ROC experience has taught me that a lot of fans have a VERY warped sense of what Redwall is and that anything having to do with it should be left solely in the hands of BJ, as his vision is what we *all* fell in love with.

Me, I don't want to see a Redwall video game, but I'd buy it if it came out. A pretty safe statement to make considering it would have to get a *lot* colder before BJ would allow something like that to happen. :rolleyes:

Slagar the Cruel
November 8th, 2002, 11:31 PM
Well, if there was a videogame, I think it should be like the game Morrowind--except better. You get to pick your species and gender and your skills and stuff like that. Then you do quests and fight roaming groups of vermin.Sounds like Redwall D&D, to me... ;)

My top choice would be a 3D adventure set up, similar to the Mario and Zelda games. Instead of a combat game (which isn't required to make a good game), it could focus on the riddle aspect of Jacques' books and you would have to scour the Abbey for clues, perform tasks such as giving Ambrose a hand in the cellar, etc. Keep the game rooted in Abbey life and you can stay true to the books while making an interesting game.Kinda like a 3D Monkey Island with mice? ;) Whoa... that actually sounds really interesting and fun... *jots something down* ;)

Me, I don't want to see a Redwall video game, but I'd buy it if it came out. A pretty safe statement to make considering it would have to get a *lot* colder before BJ would allow something like that to happen.Yes... a *lot* colder... the day a RW game is on the market, we'll be riding Wooly Mammoths over glaciers to our local Wompa's game store... ;)

Sorry if I got silly in this post... just in a slightly silly mood... sorry. Okay, I'll make this post have a point.

This topic's direction begins to swerve away from the speciffic point of a Redwall console game, widening to include computer games... so let's take it one step further. Redwall board games. Yes or no? There are some people that give the Redwall board game concept a lot of backing... personally, I find the idea slightly silly...

MoonShadow
November 9th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Redwall board games? What would it be? I'm not a huge fan of board games, since they're all just.... the same for the most part.

"You've just ran into Cluny's horde. Skip one turn."
"You have just found the Martin the Warrior's sword. Advance 4 spaces."

*shakes head*

The Red Badger
November 9th, 2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Slagar the Cruel
Redwall board games. Yes or no? There are some people that give the Redwall board game concept a lot of backing... personally, I find the idea slightly silly...

Strangely, the thought of a Redwall board game terrifies me more than the thought of a Redwall video game.

I'd buy it, but. . . nah.

Chesk Otter
November 9th, 2002, 08:44 PM
Board game? No way. Just as if not worse than a video game. I wouldn't want one, but if there were it would have to be a variation of chess, you know, it would be a strategy game, not a luck game.

Darkhood_343
November 9th, 2002, 11:18 PM
BTW Dandin it was me who said that Brian hates VGs and I think that the strategy game idea is kewl.

dandin1
November 10th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Whoops! Sorry darky, it's easy to confuse you with sarkin!

A board game? I definatly don't like the idea.... Aint a big fan of board game.

Baby Rollo
November 10th, 2002, 12:01 PM
I like board games. They're fun! I like monopoly and game of life and Hungry Hungry Hippo! Wait, Hungry Hungry Hippo is not a board game.

Darkhood_343
November 11th, 2002, 12:00 AM
MY NAME IS NOT DARKY !!!!!!!!! If anyone calls me that again I WILL RIP THIER SOUL FROM THIER MOUTH !!!!!!!! Mu-HA-HA-HA!!!

dandin1
November 11th, 2002, 07:02 AM
*tries to looks in to mouth**rubs eyes*

My soul is in my mouth? Cool!
Sorry darky.... hood!! Won't happen again;)

MoonShadow
November 11th, 2002, 05:46 PM
No, it's in your ear dandin. And back to the topic....

How far can a Redwall board game go? Well, besides the typical "roll the die and move the spaces it says on it", can you think of anything original (which excludes a Redwall Trivia board game, which might be interesting, but unoriginal)?

Well if you can...

dandin1
November 13th, 2002, 06:33 PM
A board game would be boringness... I am definately agains that idea. Lets stick to the Computer Game idea.

Baby Rollo
November 14th, 2002, 07:44 PM
The video game would make more sense as an action RPG/strategy/FPS game. The RPG part is like where you can pick your own animal, gender, skills, etc. The strategy part is like controlling a huge army. You can even fight in the battle. The FPS shooter part is like going into Mossflower woods as the vermin and taking stuff from travelling woodlanders with a bow, spear, knife, etc. You have to use stealth, or else others might come to the woodlander's aid. Or you can play as some sort of woodlander like a squirrel and stalk vermin from tree-tops. You can also switch between 1st and 3rd person views for better gameplay.

Or it could be like sort of free for all type game where you pick an animal, arm it with weapons and armor, and fight to the death with about 20 other warriors. You can also play on the internet! There can also be capture the flag!