PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Redwall Book

Delhome
December 22nd, 2003, 12:31 PM
My favorite Redwall book is Triss, whats yours?

LordTBT
December 22nd, 2003, 01:46 PM
mossflower.

Keyla
December 22nd, 2003, 01:49 PM
Well, it is always a choice between "Martin the Warrior" and "(The) Taggerung". In the end I chose the former as it is marginally dearer to me, being the fiction book that has moved me the most in recent years.

t@gg :)
December 22nd, 2003, 04:03 PM
go the taggerung! hey... isnt this exactly the same thread i posted except with a poll?

LadyBeelze
December 22nd, 2003, 04:14 PM
I didn't vote but my favorite is The Long Patrol

Edit: Wait..it's on the poll. Nevermind '_'

Lord Sarkin
December 22nd, 2003, 11:29 PM
i am torn between loamhedge,taggerung,marlfox,martin the warrior,and lord broktree.thats a lot to choose from.

Firesox
August 2nd, 2006, 12:31 PM
I liked either Loamhedge or Taggerung best, so that last option works perfectly for me.

Chesk Otter
August 2nd, 2006, 01:50 PM
Mossflower with Triss in extremely microscopically close second. I just chose Mossflower because it's more old-school and has more nostalgia. Kind of the opposite of Keyla's reasoning. Taggerung is my least favorite.

Lord Mactalon
August 2nd, 2006, 01:58 PM
I hope you relized that this thread was over two and a half years old.......

On-topic: Lord Brocktree!

Brocktree1
August 2nd, 2006, 03:15 PM
There had been alot of thread reserecting, but since the mistake has been made, I'm going along with it.

Torn between Bellmaker (excellent character backgrounds and such), Martin the Warrior (saddest) , and Redwall (most standing out in my opinion)

Each book have different virtures that make them awesome, except a few bland ones *cough LoamhedgeandTrissdon'tforgetabouttaggerung for beingsortofstereotypical.* cough

Badrang3
August 2nd, 2006, 03:26 PM
Each book have different virtures that make them awesome, except a few bland ones *cough LoamhedgeandTrissdon'tforgetabouttaggerung for beingsortofstereotypical.* cough

I've been driven into responding in a revived thread... curses...

What was stereotypical or bland about Taggerung? It shattered the so called "mold" of Redwall books into a million different pieces, had well developed characters... what more could you want?

Brocktree1
August 2nd, 2006, 04:30 PM
The arguments been brought up too many times, the fact the otter remained naturally good being surrounded by Juska for years. I want to see Brian make an otter who is considered 'vermin'. That would also break one huge mold.

Folgrimeo
August 2nd, 2006, 11:10 PM
I'm not voting for Taggerung when Loamhedge sits right beside it (Tagg would be No. 1 on my list, and Loamhedge dead last).

Actually, I voted for Martin the Warrior (despite it being on my list at #4 at 87%) because it probably influenced me the most. Martin's an iconic figure, I thought the duo of Badrang and Clogg was the best thing ever, The Warden was hilarious, a wide variety of places along with the charisma of the main characters to keep things going, the strong friendship between Martin and Rose, and the best Redwall ending I've ever seen.

Other favorites:

Taggerung (#1, 97%): I've called this my favorite Redwall book thanks to the interesting quirky pair of Tagg and Nimbalo, a lot of variety in all the characters, an incredible sense of adventure that no other Redwall book has been able to match, constantly getting better as the book goes on (I go wild for that), Ruggan Bor the best villain of all time appearing at the end (kicking the book a few notches above excellent), and the cool U.S. cover.

Rakkety Tam (#2, 94%): Just the wide variety of stuff, including Scottish squirrels, a boxing match, the only chase scenes in the entire series that I thought were exciting, one heck of an intimidating villain, the great arguments between Doogy and Yoofus, some scenes that felt like real danger as if no place was safe for our heroes, and the funny hare nickname of Brigadier Wotwot.

The Legend of Luke (#3, 92%): It was so HAPPY. A relaxed trip to and from Martin's birthplace that was as great as Luke's adventure, the promise of a short seafarin' story since I was kind of burnt out on searat tales at the time, and one of my favorite funny scenes when Beauclaire finishes rambling on about something and Vurg remarks "You didn't say wot wot." It all felt like a reward for having made it this far through the series, a nice summer book.
Extra points to the memorable cover, the mystery of that wrecked ship stranded up in the air is what made me read it in the first place.

Redwall (#5, 85%): This will forever stand out for being so different from every Redwall novel after it. Thanks to this, it remains fresh every time. Cluny's still an amazing villain, I can't ask for a better introduction to hares than Basil, and I'll never forget the time Matthias stood in front of the tapestry and Cornflower walked up to him. But since the rest of the series has improved in many ways, and more memorable scenes come to mind from "Triss" and "Lord Brocktree" than this, this book remains with a somewhat-average score.
And I've decided to make this obligatory statement every time I speak of the original: Silent Sam was the best Dibbun ever.

Lord Brocktree (#6, 82%): Mostly in that the charm of the characters made up for its multiple flaws. Dotti and Fleetscut and especially Jukka were unforgettable when they started arguing or throwing a fit. But I must admit part of the reason I laughed so much at Jukka's priceless glares of hatred was because it reminded me of how Tammo used to tick off Russa through his ineptitude.

Triss (#8, 79%): Forever remembered in that, for being an underdog Redwall book, it was surprisingly good. Nowhere near my top favorites, but it made a valiant effort. And it had Scarum, one of my favorite hares.

Truffen
August 4th, 2006, 08:19 PM
OK guys I have read up to Pearls Of Lutra. I am almost done with Pearls. But I will give you my list of books that I have read so far. A brief review.

1. First place goes to Martin the Worrier. It was the most emotional by far. Rose's death was a real shocker. It was very sad. It made me cry. (Which I seldom do) And the fact that Martin went threw alot of ahrdship as a slave really helped the story. I felt the slaves had alot more hatred toward Badrang rather than the Redwallers hatred to Cluny. The lans are pretty expansive with all teh place's they visited. The Warden rocked. I love herons. Boldred was cool too. I just think it was the best book. Badrang was arguably the best vermin warlord I have read about. the addition of Clogg added to it too. The ending battle was awsome:D

2. Second place goes to The Bellmaker. It was very well caracterized in my opinoin. It had great characters. You had Mariel the most awsome heroine since slice bred. And Dandin wasn't so bad either. Dandin showed alot more maturity than he idd in the first book. I also loved the fact that it didn't revolve around the sword of martin the worrier. Infact it wasn't in the book. That is both a good and a bad thing. Castlefloret was so fun to explore. I loved Southsward and the introduction of new lands. Egbert the mole was a very nice addtion diverting from the homely mole to a well scholard mole. To top it off with great charadcter's like Finbarr it is hard to beat. Finbarr knew how to get it done. e killed the main villian Urgan. Urgan was nice but I have seen better. When Finbarr died it was a real heart breaker. I loved the addtion of an otter to kill a main baddi. All inall a good book.

3. Third goes to Mossflower. It was a well orginized book. Martin seemed more matrue in this book than in Martin the Worrier. We got to go to places like Brockhall, Campwillow, and Kotir was nice to see fall. All in all a good book. Told us how the sword of Martin was made. Lots of battles, riddles, and glory. Another Goodbook

Chelki Sureshot
August 5th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Mattimeo for me. It had the super tough badgers, and Basil Stag Hare! Plus Sir Harry the Muse was a really cool guy for being added in late.

Delhome
August 5th, 2006, 03:21 PM
I have to say, that well, it ain't listed... but yeah... Rakkety Tam, or Triss... Triss is really cool!