PDA

View Full Version : Reading in School

Goozy
November 8th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Currently, I'm in a study hall and listening to the senior English class in the next room. They're watching The Lord of the Rings...the teacher adores J.R.R. Tolkien's works. The Nazgul are currently chasing after Frodo....well, by the end of this post... the 'Wind Lord' has swept Gandalf away and Frodo is in Rivendell.

At the beginning of the year, he immediatly has his class read The Hobbit and gives them the option of read The Fellowship of the Ring as well. Personally, I think is a great experience for many people.. but... as seniors go, some are enthusiastic and others.. well... they loathe the book. "It's too long!" LAZY SLACKERS! :P

In your English/Literature classes, what do you all read as a whole? What books have been your favorite and what books would you suggest for others to read?

In my three years of high school, most of the books I have read are 8th grade level. In our senior year, we read MANY novels. From The Hobbit to Hamlet. :) Has anyone else encountered things like this? Where you are required to read novels that are much more below your reading level..?

Ahhh.. just felt the need to type this. I can hear the music playing from Lord of the Rings and I felt the need to type this up. :P

Lady Terra
November 8th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Well over the summer we were required to read The Great Gatsby, after a few weeks of school we read The Scarlet Letter, and now we're reading Ethan Frome. Ethan Frome is a 6th grade level book and i'm in the 11th! o.O

Lyrian Aryns
November 8th, 2002, 01:38 PM
So far we've only read two books together in my English class... the first one, The Watsons Go to Brimingham was around maybe fifth-sixth grade level, but it wasn't bad... and we just finished up on Animal Farm, which I also liked. On Tuesday we're starting Romeo and Juliet, which may be interesting although the basic storyline has always seemed kind of boring to me at first glance. :\

But sometimes I really wish that there was an Honors English class for freshmen... It bugs me, all the comlaining about having to read two thousand pages per semester. Oy. It's not that difficult. The kids in my school have got to read more. :\

Gabool the Wild
November 8th, 2002, 01:53 PM
Ugh, I hate when that happens. This year I am in Accelerated English 9 and we have to read ten books from a list that he gave us on our own time over the course of the year. None of the books are accelerated. Most of the books are for 8 and 7 grade. There are a couple that are 9 grade, but none of them are 10 and 11 grade. I mean, this is the level you would expect accelerated grade 9 students to read at wouldn't you? The books that we are reading as a class are more advanced though, even if we are only going to read 3 over the whole year. We've already read John Steinbeck's The Pearl and we are also going to read To Kill a Mockingbird and Romeo and Juliet . But that list really irks me.

Cale Yin
November 8th, 2002, 03:37 PM
I'm in 11th grade. And we have read, so far, The Crystal Cave (book 1) which I highly recommend, especially if you are a fan of anything Merlin or King Arthur. That was the best book I have ever read in school.
And then we read Macbeth, which I hated. And then we picked either A Tale of Two Cities, Jane Eyre or Mayor of Casterbridge. I have read the first part of Tale, and I did not like it; but I had chosen Jane Eyre to read, and I liked it for a while until it got to the more freakish parts, and then it was just like, Blah, now it's ruined. -.- Like a science fiction book almost, Technically it's a Victorian Gothic novel but... it just yucks. <--Not a typo.
I've read Romeo and Juliet about 3 times in class, and Julius Caesar once, and a lot of the novels I read in school, I really don't like. The Crystal Cave was the only good one.

VanessaNB
November 8th, 2002, 04:34 PM
We read The Pearl. And the Outsiders, which I liked (we watched the movie too).
As to what we're reading now...nothing. I'm a senior high student, and we can arrange our subjects so we can take this in the first semester and that in the last one and so on.
I don't have English til the end of the year.:D
I'd like it if we did LoTR. Or the Hobbit.

MoonShadow
November 8th, 2002, 04:44 PM
:eek: Woah! Our sixth grade is reading the Hobbit this year! Or maybe it's the seventh, but I think it's the sixth. *wonders how that happened*

Well, so far this year, we've read Journey, various short stories (The Open Window, The Cask of Amondilado, The Black Cat, The Tell-Tale Heart, The Scarlet Ibis, The Monkey's Paw, and others that I can't remember at the moment :\), and now we're reading Of Mice and Men. Well, it was funny, and weird, when our crazy English teacher was reading all of the curses and swears in it, and she said them out really enthusiastically. *wonders some more*

Journey... it sort of contradicts what some teachers are saying about "being specific". Journey is one of the vaguest books I've ever read! I have to say most of the short stories were very disturbing.... I think we're reading Romeo and Julliet later in the yaer.... You know, I really think that the school needs to get some happier books into our ciriculum. Basically all of them are on the sad side....

They're watching The Lord of the RingsLucky people. :\ We watched this video in science that was sooooo stupid that most people were laughing silently, or out loud, throughout the thing.

Um.... and I have to say that a book we read in 2th grade might have been more challenging then some of the stuff in middle school... but then, we had reading groups back then, so we somehow ended up reading Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. :\ Well, I think the books we read in 5th grade were the best. Matilda, The Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe, the Rats of NIMH, etc. What I think is weird is that one team in our grade is reading "Dragonwings", while many people have read that in sixth grade.....

You people... read... um... don't read Of Mice and Men when your parents are around.

Gabool the Wild
November 8th, 2002, 04:52 PM
And don't read Of Mice and Men if you don't like depressing books. I've only read the first chapter and already it's sad.:(

I read "The Black Cat" last year. It was very...weird

LadyBeelze
November 8th, 2002, 04:55 PM
we never read any books in class or have a specific book that we have to read. Well we do have a book report every quarter, it can be any book you want over 150 pages but thats all. The only books i recall reading in my whole school experiance was maybe in 7th grade we read "were the red fern grows" *sniff* i still like that book even though its bellow my reading level.

You got to watch the "WHOLE" lord of the rings movie at school, wow. Earlier this year in my english 9 class we watched a clip from the movie. Like from the rivendall (can't spell) meeting to when they escape the mines of moria. then our teacher didn't show us more. We had to write notes on acts of fellowship shown in the clip we watched but thats all.

MoonShadow
November 8th, 2002, 06:31 PM
Well, I mean, we watched Annie in 6th grade because the teacher decided the educational video she was showing us was boring... and I thought that might be interesting to know. :\

The teacher said Of Mice and Men is a sad book.... Poe's storie seem to be pretty disturbing sometimes....

Red Draco
November 8th, 2002, 06:47 PM
You all should understand something. There are few, very few people who enjoy reading as a hobby. Of course, we all obviously enjoy it here because this is a Redwall forum. I, for one, absolutely adore reading. One of my favourite hobbies. I've read pretty much all of the classics mentioned in this thread. In grade 12, I snuck into another english class because they were studying The Handmaid's Tale. That's how sad I am when it comes to books.

But think about it from another person's perspective. A complaint I hear often is, "I don't have the attention span required to sit there and read someone else's ideas." It's valid. Even in an "accelerated" class, giving out accelerated reading material could be a disaster. I know many intelligent people who hate to read. And, while I haven't seen it from anyone on this forum, I've seen waaaay to many people elsewhere boast about how smart they are in comparison to the rest of their class just because they enjoy the books handed out for reading while others do not. That's not an accurate way of gauging intelligence. I, for one, hated some of the books I was forced to read, including "12th Night," "Pygmilion," and "Being There." In turn, I loved "The Handmaid's Tale," "1984," and "Macbeth."

Glenner
November 8th, 2002, 07:29 PM
Thats true Red Draco. I was in honors english last year (the same as accelerated english only we had to read just 4 books, not ten)
And there were many people in the class even smarter than I am who said they hated reading.

Even though I love reading, I usually don't enjoy books we have to read in school, But there have been ones I really enjoyed. There was one I read a couple years ago on the holocaust which was good and I loved Island of the Blue Dolphins when I read it in the fifth grade. Theres also another book on the holocuast which were going to read this year called Night. It looks really interesting. But there's really never been a lot I had to read in school that I've liked.

Although Tolkien isn't my absolute favorite author, I think his books are good, and wish I was studying any of his than the one I'm reading now.

Cale Yin
November 8th, 2002, 08:58 PM
We're reading 1984 next, RD. Why was it good?

I remember Mice & Men. It scared me. I hate sad books. They always scare me. I guess because I'm usually so sickeningly happy that sadness scares the living daylights out of me. >_<

I also remember liking Island of the Blue Dolphins. And Poe-- I have a little bookette thingie of The Black Cat and it's very sad. I love kitties. I've also read the Pit and the Pendulum story, which was okay. And that Cask or Flask of Amongardilioyutgfrhuything.

Glenner
November 8th, 2002, 09:17 PM
Now the pendulum story was CREEPY. Well all his srtoies are, but that one was just the funkiest.
I really liked the black cat too.

LadyBeelze
November 8th, 2002, 10:09 PM
i renember 5th and 6th grade where at the end of each quarter my teachers would be speechless when they counted all the pages i've read. 4,000 pages in a quarter (2 and a half months)

oh i do renember reading matilda in like 4th grade in reading class

Baby Rollo
November 10th, 2002, 12:29 PM
I read to kill a mockingbird and right now I'm reading The Odyssey. On Wednesday, our class watched 2 versions of the Odyssey. The first one we watched was a 60's version that had Kirk Douglas and a bunch of French or Italian people. The special effects in that movie were horrible. The cyclops' eye looked fake and you could see that he was holding a doll when he was about to eat a guy.

We watched another version made in 1997 which was boring. Everyone had really long hair and the guy that played Odysseus was a bad actor. I thought that the spansih accent didn't fit in with Odysseus' character who is Greek. The only good part was when you saw half of the guy after Cyclops split him in half and ate him.