PDA

View Full Version : Most Humorous Redwall Moments

Slagar the Cruel
December 24th, 2003, 01:44 PM
Action and adventure have always been a major element of the Redwall series. But so has the light-hearted humor which has brightened up the books since Basil "Stag" Hare first crossed the path of Matthias.

So, what are your favorite moments of Redwall humor?

My all-time favorite Redwall scene in terms of humor would have to be...

The blind herbalist spread his arms wide and cried out, "The Grockledeboo eats noisy Dibbuns!"...from "Mariel of Redwall", if only because it seemed like such a random outburst, especially from a normally timid old herbalist.

Also, I found the bits with Clecky and Gerul in "Pearls of Lutra" very funny...

"Of course I'm a hare, what'd you think I was, a long-legged tadpole out for a bloomin' walk?"
"There's nothin' like a surprise when yer not expectin' it, it's surprisin' how it can surprise yer!"
And I've always found the bits with Matthias and Basil equally funny, such as...

"Why, of course you will Mr. Hare. What a bore you must think me. I'll probably sit around on the common here and teach the rats to make daisy chains."
"Blast, he's as slippery as a greased pig." "Some of my best friends are greased pigs, bottlenose."
Finally, I've always liked what Drooney said about the accents of the eagles in "Salamandastron"...

"Bohurr, you'm heagle do be a-talking funny loik. Oi carn't unnerstan' a wurd 'ee be sayen, Dumble."
All you can think of when reading that is, "that's coming from a mole?" ;)

Chelki Sureshot
December 25th, 2003, 02:40 PM
I only have, Taggerung, Triss, Mossflower, Redwall, and Martin the Warrior.But here are some of my favorites from those.

Taggerung
"Who tella to shushed?, Talk t'me like dat! All shushed now, wait for da snakeyfishes to come. Den after dat we catcher d'mousey anna bigga monister!" P 205

Also the part where Durby is acting as Cregga's echo. P 155

"Open a door. 'Urry up, Firebobb!" P 100

There's a heck of a lot more, but I want to get 2 from MTW.

The part where Brome is banging on the drum, practicing for the Periwinkle parade. P 305-307

"Well hurry up, my back's killing me!" Rowanoak roared out in mock agony.
Ballaw did an elegant bow in the badger's direction."Do not worry, madam. Your face has been killing me for years, let alone your back." P 304

rowanoak
December 26th, 2003, 10:02 AM
Gonff dancing with the crab in "Mossflower."

Nora the Rover
December 26th, 2003, 02:44 PM
Marlfox probably has to be one the funniest books of the series.
I love chapter 22, when Florian accidentially sits on the salad fork. The most hilarious part is the feast:

Florian glared daggers at the cheeky shrew. "Flippin' spiky-mopped waterbeetle, mind your own business, wot! Chap has the right to stand or sit as he jolly well pleases, without your bottle-nosed inquiries, flamin fatbellied boat-bobber! Shove some salad down that great gob of yours an' give it a flippin' rest!"
"I was just about to do that, sir," Bargle shouted cheerfully back, "but I can't find the salad fork noplace. But we all trust you, mister Florian. You will find it!"
Adding insult to injury, Mayon roared out, "Aye, you'll get to the bottom of things, won't ye sir!"
The outraged hare loaded two plates high with food and marched off, balancing a flagon of October Ale between the platters. "A frog's feather for you lot. I'll go an' dine elsewhere. I'm not standin' here t'be insulted!"
"Then sit down if you dare!"
Redwallers held their aching ribs, sobbing with laughter, as much at Bargle's parting shot as at the sight of Florian Dugglewoof Wilffachop, strutting off with a heavily bandaged rear end.

Another rather funny part was when Gelltor and Mokkan were arguing:

Dwopple: "Us can't open d'locks, mista Stickabee, they's too tight!"
Gelltor smiled mockingly at the Marlfox leader. "Oh dear, what are you goin' t'do now, mister Stickabee?"
Mokkans paw strayed beneath his cloak. "One more word from you and I'll introduce you to mister axehead!"

Triss also had several funny parts as well. The most memorable would have to be when Scarum's teeth are caught in the wooden boat seat, and when Cap'n Plugg lost his tail.
There are a load of other funny quotes from the books as well, but I don't think I'll post them all.

Glenner
December 28th, 2003, 07:16 PM
In Bellmaker:

I really liked the interaction bewteen the dibbuns and the two searats Blaggut and Slipp:
"If you aren't shoopid then don't ask shoopid questions." Thats just a classic line. Also, Blaggut and Slipp singing the searat shanty during the feast was just priceless.

In Triss:

Plugg's loss of his tail was very funny, especially when he whirled it around his head during the song him and his crew were singing.

I'll come back and post some more funny parts.

Martin the Warrior
December 29th, 2003, 05:41 PM
I don't have the book on hand to quote, but I always liked... Nutwing's, I believe.... warning that pinching too many strawberries makes Dibbuns explode (from Marlfox). "Where do you think the red came from?"

Delhome
January 1st, 2004, 08:00 PM
I think the funnyest moment is from mossflower, where Skipper is fighting Cludd after Mask's death ( :( ) and skipper kicks Cludd with all four paws, and Cludds fall is broken on the Otter javelins stuck into the ground. Otter Javlens are pointed on both ends.

Slagar the Cruel
January 2nd, 2004, 05:04 PM
Marlfox probably has to be one the funniest books of the series.
I agree. Which reminds me of a few funny moments I had forgotten, most notably:

"Who's derr? Wot you knock for?"
The answer came back in a soothing homely voice. "Who do you think I am, little friend?"
The mousebabe pondered a moment, then made up a fictitious name that he liked the sound of. "Stickabee!"The whole "Stickabee" subplot was my favorite thing about Marlfox. :D

Wormerwing
February 4th, 2005, 11:47 PM
HEEHEE, resurrection of a dead thread

Without any prior warning, Horty came skipping blithely out from beneath the overhang. He ran by the log, speeding downhill and calling back to them,"Shrews, eh? Where'd ye meet this flippin' lot? I feel much better now, chaps. Who's for a jolly old paddle in the shallows, wot?"

When three lances came zinging at him, the young hare stopped, but the weapons had pierced his rediculous headdressing. He ground to a halt, only paces away from the dumbfounded reptiles.

" Great blinkin' seasons, have a flamin' care when you're chuckin' those things. A chap could be injured by them!"

Knowing their plan had been ruined, Bragoon, Saro, and Jigger came bounding downhill. At the bottom they found, to their shock, that the reptiles were lying prostrateface down in front of the young hare. Horty stood posing majestically, the three lances transfixing his turban.

Saro glared at him. "Wot were ye thinkin' of, ye great idiot? Lollopin' of right into the enemy like that!"

Horty gave her a scathing glance. "Hold your tounge marm. These chaps are just showing their respect to me. Hawhaw, they must think I'm the Great Hortyplonk,descended out of the bloomin' sky, wot wot"

Okay, now that I've typed it, it doesn't seem too funny after all. I also liked the bragging competition in Lord Brocktree.

Cheesethief
February 5th, 2005, 11:23 AM
The Stickabee thing was the funniest part of the series.

PS...Slagar, are you really here?

Lonna Bowstripe
February 5th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Rakkety Tam

"Say hello to the good creatures we've never met, children!"
"Hello Yoofus!!"

Felldoh
February 5th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Not the funniest, but the only one I can think of right now.

Martin yawned and settled down beside Brome. "Sleep first. Being tied out on a walltop in a storm isn't the most restful place around here. We'll think of something later, friend. We can't disappoint this young un."

Felldoh sat listening to the soft snores of his companions. "Oh yes, let's think of something later," he chuckled lightly to himself. "How to sprout wings, and defeat Badrang and his horde with outside help from a mole and a mousemaid. By my brush, why didn't I think of those two good ideas before?"

Bladeswift
February 5th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Rakkety Tam

"Say hello to the good creatures we've never met, children!"
"Hello Yoofus!!"
That was my favorite line in the entire book.

Another with Basil and Cluny

Get him! Grab that spy! I want his head!"
What's the matter? Isn't your own head good enough? No, I don't suppose it is. Ugly-looking brute, aren't you?"

KitsuneRose
February 5th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Since I'm rereading Legend of Luke right now, I'll pick a line from there that always makes me laugh:

From when they realize the Painted Ones are hiding in the forest:

Martin prodded his friend's well-fed middle. "I hope 'tis a plan that'll work, matey?"
"Oh indeed, an' did you ever know aby o' my plans that didn't work, O swinger of swords?"
"Aye, lots of them, O pincher of pies!"
"Well this won't be one of that sort, O noble whiskers!"
"It had better not be, O pot-bellied coup-swigger. Now tell on."

Grath
February 5th, 2005, 06:14 PM
I liked in Salamandastron where Pikkle and Tubgutt have an eating contest because in the end, Tubgutt just can't stomach anything else and collapses on the table while Pikkle just stares at him and continued eating.

And in the same book while going through rapids Pikkle is so seasick that he never wants to eat anything again but once the river calms down he jumps up happily and proclaims.
"Well that was fun, who's up for some tucker!" (not sure if those were the exact words though)

Wormerwing
February 5th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Don't know why, guess I'm weird, but I like the ironic humor of Cheesethief's death(the rat, not the Long Patroller) in Redwall.

Ferahgo the Assassin
February 5th, 2005, 08:16 PM
When I saw this thread I immediately thought of the Marlfox incident with Florian and the fork - but Nora the Rover beat me to it (over a year ago, in fact! ;)).

Rakkety Tam had its moments, too, like the Yoofis thing mentioned, as well as Mr. Death.

Sea Bogle
February 5th, 2005, 08:44 PM
I thought the part where Basil is leading off Cluny's vermin in Redwall was pretty funny.

"I say, old thing, where's the leader feller? Cluny, or Loony, what ever you call him."
Completely staggered, the rat stood slack-jawed. Basil left him and popped up beside another rat.
..."Er, by the way, did your parents ever call you Pongo, or did they smell as bad as you?

I really liked the 'ferroat' conversation between Bragoon and Flinky. (Chapter 5 in Loamhedge)

"Wot am I young feller? I'm a ferroat, o' course!"
"A ferroat? An' what sort o' beast is dat now?"
"Oh just a cross twixt a ferret and a stoat. I was a small sickly babe, or so me old mum'n'dad told me."
"An who, pray, was yore muther an' father?"
"A rat an' a fox, I suppose, but they was terrible liars."

And in Rakkety Tam, Brooky's reaction to Mr. Death was priceless :lol: .

Badrang3
February 6th, 2005, 02:52 PM
I liked the bit in Mossflower with Tsarmina and Captain Brog.

Tsarmina: I had no idea you had a sense of humor, Brogg.

Brogg: I have my moments.

I laugh every time.

Cheesethief
February 6th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Lonna! I love that line! I bet over half the people who bought Rakkety Tam never got that.

Kratos
February 11th, 2005, 08:51 AM
There's this pretty funny part in Rakkety Tam(actually a lot of them)

And Chugger from Legend of Luke is definitely the funniest Dibbun in the history of the Redwall series.
Log a log pushed on Chugger's stomach,and the water fountained out.
The baby squirrel opened one eye,and his paw rose to point menacingly at the shrew."You quit punchin' Chugga's tummy,or I swirt water in you eye,sh'ew!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well,that's all I can think of right now...

Cheesethief
February 11th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Oh, I think Bungo could give him a run for his money.

Rolinko
February 11th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Ah, but Bungo might as well be in a league of his own considering he's more the storybook type and not the novel type. ;)

Cheesethief
February 12th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Ah, my friend, I must object. Bungo is featured in two books. Firstly, in Martin the Warrior, he is Grumm's nephew. Then, in a book around Redwall time, he is a mischievous dibbun with a younger sister.
AHA!

Barrag Barr
February 12th, 2005, 02:48 PM
I suppose Marlfox made me laugh when the rat attempted to catapult itself over the outer wall and hit it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hisk
February 12th, 2005, 08:58 PM
I found Plugg's "tail problem" kind of funny. The picture in the book at the start of the chapter is even funnier, when I first saw Scummy I wasn't shure what that thing in his hand was. Naturally I jumped to a stupid conclusion and assumed it was a joint. I of course realized how stupid that was, which made me laugh even harder.

Kratos
February 15th, 2005, 04:53 PM
When I first saw it,I thought it was a blanket! :o
I really like the last part in Triss when Scarum is making an entry in the log!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Badrang3
February 18th, 2005, 10:55 PM
I just remembered that part in Brocktree when Dotti asks him if she can call him Brockers. :lol:

Barkstripe
February 19th, 2005, 11:51 AM
my two favorite line in the series have been taken. The one about the people who haven't met yoofus and bladswifts one about cluny and basil

Barkstripe
February 19th, 2005, 11:52 AM
my two favorite line in the series have been taken. The one about the people who haven't met yoofus and bladswifts one about cluny and basil :lol: :lol:

Arrowtail
February 20th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Mossflower:

"I don't care what you're trying to put out! Get that water up here on the double."
"What about the door, Milady?"
"Spit on it, for all I care. This is my room - the Queen's own chamber is on fire. Hurry up, idiot."
"Idiot yourself!"
"Who said that?" she demanded.

Martin the Warrior:

"I'm arf a stoat and an' arf a mole,
An' I'll bury youse all in a nice deep 'ole,
Down, down where it's still an' cold,
An' y'never live to get old!"

Rolinko
February 21st, 2005, 05:51 PM
Ah, my friend, I must object. Bungo is featured in two books. Firstly, in Martin the Warrior, he is Grumm's nephew. Then, in a book around Redwall time, he is a mischievous dibbun with a younger sister.
AHA!I believe Grumm's nephew has about two paragraphs of "screentime" in the book. You know as well as I do that you cannot count them all as one. And I'm sure that many theories can be made connecting them all, with Character A possibly being Character π’s distant ancestor, having migrated from Noonvale and all that. But they’re still not the same. Can you recall which book around Redwall time it was that featured another Bungo and a sister? I haven’t read Tagg, Triss, Loamhedge or Tam, so I wouldn’t know about them. I cannot recall him in Redwall or any of the four novels that take place after Redwall. Bungo did not have a sister in either storybook.

Anyway, I must say I loved it when Cornflower terrified the invading birds by getting dolled up in Martin’s/Matthias’s armor and playing the ghost of Martin. And it was just as funny when animated, to boot.

Nora the Rover
February 21st, 2005, 09:13 PM
One of my other favorite funny moments, would have to be in Lord Brocktree.
Dotti finds the message written by Ruff on the logboat -

It was a crude sketch, done with a piece of burnt wood from last night's fire. There was an arrow pointing downstream and a depiction of herself sitting on the boat. By a sharp bend in the stream, Ruff and Brocktree were drawn, apparently waiting for her. Also there was some sketchy writing, obviously Ruff's: "See U att noone."
The haremaid studied it, still chunnering to herself. "See me at noon where the stream bends, eh? Well, how flippin' nice to let a body know, blinkin' deserters! Tchah! Is that supposed to be a picture of me? Just look at those miserable ears. Mine are a jolly sight prettier than that, wot! Hmph! No wonder that otter's folks chucked him out-his spellin's dreadful!"
She found the burnt stick and corrected it all to her satisfaction, drawing a huge stomach on Ruff, and an ugly drooping snout on the Badger Lord. Finally, after adding many touches to make the likeness of herself more beautiful, Dotti gave Ruff a black mark for his spelling. Feeling much better, she tossed the charcoal away.

Even funnier are Brocktree and Ruffs' reactions to it. :p

Cornflower
February 21st, 2005, 10:34 PM
I've always thought that this scene from "Mattimeo" was hilarious:

Gaffer began trying to remove the pancake from baby Rollo's head. The infant had eaten a hole in it to give himself some breathing space. Sensibly, Gaffer began eating from between Rollo's ears. Cornflower appeared in the kitchen doorway. She tried to look very forbidding, while at the same time doing her best to stifle the laughter that was bubbling through at the comical scene. "Shame on all four of you, hahaha, er, hmph! What on earth are you doing, heeheehee, ahem! Gaffer, will you stop trying to eat that infant's head and remove the pancake with some flou-flou-hahahaoheehee! Flour!"

This scene from "Marlfox" with Florian and Dwopple is funny, too:

Turning on his heel, the hare strode grandiloquently off, only to be hit sharply on his bobtail by a missile from Dwopple's sling.
"Yowhooch! Bandit, fiend, pollywoggle, scallywag! I'll have y'tail for breakfast, sah!"
The sight of Florian's enraged face set Dwopple crying in distress. "Wahaaah! Nasty wabbit gonna eat Dwopple's tail. Boohoohoo! Me on'y a likka baybee. Wahaahaa!"

Cheesethief
February 22nd, 2005, 04:41 PM
I believe Grumm's nephew has about two paragraphs of "screentime" in the book. You know as well as I do that you cannot count them all as one. And I'm sure that many theories can be made connecting them all, with Character A possibly being Character π’s distant ancestor, having migrated from Noonvale and all that. But they’re still not the same. Can you recall which book around Redwall time it was that featured another Bungo and a sister? I haven’t read Tagg, Triss, Loamhedge or Tam, so I wouldn’t know about them. I cannot recall him in Redwall or any of the four novels that take place after Redwall. Bungo did not have a sister in either storybook. Okay, I agree they aren't the same.
Actually, Bungo didn't appear in a Redwally novel. I seemed to remember him having a bath then being measured. But it seems he only appears in The Great Redwall Feast. I bow out.

Martin the Warrior
February 22nd, 2005, 08:56 PM
Can you recall which book around Redwall time it was that featured another Bungo and a sister?

Bungo's sister is featured on page 20 of The Great Redwall Feast, set between Redwall and Mattimeo. Bungo is also featured in A Redwall Winter's Tale, set during the same time-period.

Sagrived Switpaw
February 22nd, 2005, 09:24 PM
Back on subject.
Hello chaps, new member sagrived switpaw reporting for duity.
this is my first post ever. i had my e-mail address all wrong and had to sit through great threads without being able to say a thing. so here it goes.

My favorite comes from Triss, when bescarum hooks a shark over the back of the wavedog. i found that exstreamly hilarious and well worth recognition. :lol: also a fue from Marl Fox but too many too mention now wot wot. :)

Hisk
February 22nd, 2005, 09:33 PM
Yo Sagrived. Welcome to the long patrol. Youre gonna have some time imitating a hare accent on every post though! :lol:

Sagrived Switpaw
February 22nd, 2005, 10:04 PM
:( i will try to keep the bally thing up. "most of the time" :D :D :D
thanks for the welcom u guys rock.
p.s. you can call me swit of sag both are fine.

Flinky_rules
January 13th, 2008, 02:13 PM
:lol: I loved that poem about Brag and Saro when they were Dibbuns.
I could barely stop laughing;
They "filled the pond with beetroots", and "baked poor Foremole's sandals inside a loaf of bread"!:lol:
Also, I think it's funny in Salamandastronwhen one of the two ferrets, I can't remember whether it's Dingeye or Thura, referred the the Foremole as the "Fivemole". :lol:

Fuzface
January 14th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Warbeak was hilarious!

Mara Badgermum
January 14th, 2008, 05:05 PM
the whole 'fork bottom' scene from Marlfox had me in tears.

Flinky_rules
January 18th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Oh! I just thought of another funny part, from Mossflower.

Brogg watched Tsarmina as she lay flat upon the parade ground with her ear to the floor. One of Bane's mercenaries, a rat named Chinwart, tugged at Brogg's cloak and asked, "What's she up to, Cap'n?"
"Can't you see, she's listening for water."
"Water?"
"Aye, water, wormbrain. What d'you suppose she'd be listening for, strawberry cordial?"
:lol:

Gorath the Flame
January 18th, 2008, 04:32 PM
the whole 'fork bottom' scene from Marlfox had me in tears.

Same here. Log-a-Log was just milkin' it.

Flinky_rules
January 26th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Same here. Log-a-Log was just milkin' it.

I agree!:lol: Poor Florian; forks are sharper than one might think. I dropped one on my foot by accident once, pointy things down. It hurt.

RockJaw_Grang
January 26th, 2008, 11:58 AM
People, People, People. Hasn't anyone told of of forum etiquette? This thread was lasted posted in February 22nd 2005!!! Usually if a thread goes a six months without being posted in it's safe to call it dead, so just start another one.

Cheers
~Rock