PDA

View Full Version : That hare!!

Keyla
December 28th, 2003, 07:12 AM
In the other forum I frequent, Terrouge's, Scarum from "Triss" has become rather more a curse than a character. To say he is unpopular is an understatement. While some did find his antics amusing, others look at as being the worst in a long line of ever more ridiculous hares with over exagerated traits. Not only that but he turns what was once charming about a hare into something quite repulsive.
I've set this pole and thread up not just out of idle curiosity but with the intention of gaging general opinion before I start writing an editorial on him.
So: Did he make you laugh uproariously or hurl your newly purchased copy of "Triss" across the room? Is he a new and original exploration of "hareness" or a blot on the good name of the species? Is he merely the jester in the tale or does he have any other role in the story?
Please post your thoughts.

Chibb
December 28th, 2003, 08:48 AM
I agree with choices two, three and (somewhat) five.
Scarum is probably my least favorite good-beast in the entire series (which is saying a lot, seeing how many characters there are). He was a failed attempt at childish humor, a very exaggerated caricature of a species that I somewhat like (I prefer otters, squirrels, and badgers), and the most loathable good-beast character to set foot in Mossflower woods. His gluttony went over the top, and his rudeness, vulgarity, and childish behavior really steered me away from liking him. If you want a good hare character, stick with Basil, Hon Rosie, Tarquin, and the others. In short, I don't like Scarum at all.

LadyBeelze
December 28th, 2003, 11:49 AM
I didn't like sarcum at all. At the first of the book i thought he was a bit annoying but by the end of the book i hated him. *mumble*

granola woodsworth
December 28th, 2003, 03:03 PM
I didn't really mind him that much.. I found him to be interesting in a way but at some points, annoying. He was not my favourite character but not one of my worst favourite characters either. He was just there. :rolleyes:

Slagar the Cruel
December 28th, 2003, 04:51 PM
I don't really have too vehement of an opinion of Bescarum either way. But I honestly never understood why the people at the Terrouge forums hate Bescarum so much. He was a tiny bit more of a glutton than your average hare, perhaps, but a big deal was made about him learning his lesson about that. What's the big deal?

Glenner
December 28th, 2003, 05:58 PM
Bescarum never really bothered me to much. Like slags said, hes only a tad bit more gluttonous than the average hare, and besides, he was always admonished for his actions by Sagax and Kroova.

Senav
December 28th, 2003, 06:06 PM
I really dislike him...Most hares have some part that makes them redeemable. Scarum has none. He's a greedy glutton, rude, boastful...most of the other hares share those traits, but at least they do something usefull in the end. Scarum simply never learned his lesson, he was dumber than a sack of hammers. Other hare's antics at least made me crack a smile.
Even I have better morals than him, and that's pretty bad.

Chelki Sureshot
December 29th, 2003, 02:53 PM
Admittedly, he was a bit too hungry. Even for a hare. But aren't there people like that in the real world? BJ tries to make every character different, and they are. Scarum changed through the book, though. At the end, when he was captured by Kurda, he realized that that was his end, then tried to go down bravely. Luckily, he didn't go down at all. And look at his family. A father who is important to the Long Patrol, not unlike Tammo's father, and a mother who cries at every little thing. HIs best friend is the son of a badger lord, and it's an unwritten rule that 2 male badgers can't live together. Of course he's a little bit wacky. That change anybody's opinion?

Martin the Warrior
December 29th, 2003, 04:28 PM
Choice #3 was the most in line with my opinion. Scarum is certainly exaggerated for a hare, but I wasn't annoyed by him nor did I dislike him. That's not to say I loved him as a character, but he's just not that bad for me.

Keyla
January 6th, 2004, 11:41 AM
To pose another question: did you feel that over the course of the book he changed, reformed or developed in any way?
If so, how? What, in your opinion, were the defining moments and turning points?
If not, was the lack of reformation deliberate or an oversight on Brian's part?

Senav
January 6th, 2004, 04:24 PM
I don't think he really "reformed" at all. He went on a trip to free some slaves, but pages earlier he ran away because he was punished for something that was totally wrong, and totally his fault.
You don't steal food from little kids. You just don't.