PDA

View Full Version : Did Loamhedge satisfy your curiosity?

Martin the Warrior
January 4th, 2004, 06:21 PM
Something I don't think we've discussed in-depth yet.

Prior to its release, many fans were overjoyed at the prospect of Loamhedge because they believed Brian would finally be giving them the history of Redwall's predecessor (there were skeptics, of course, and I'd count myself among them).

In the end, we got an overall marvelous present-day tale with roughly one, maybe two chapters insight into life at Loamhedge Abbey. Was this enough for you? Did this satisfy your curiosity over Loamhedge? Are you ready for Brian to move on and address another oft-requested story, as the tales of Luke the Warrior, Lord Brocktree, a vermin-raised woodlander, a female sword-bearer, and Loamhedge Abbey once were? Or was this not enough and you want him to go back to Loamhedge yet again?

Discuss.

LordTBT
January 4th, 2004, 06:58 PM
unfortunately i havent read this yet so I can't vote, but I'm a sucker for historical stuff in Redwall, so anything on any of the Badgerlords mentioned in Mossflower, like Spearlady Gorse that one always intrigued me.

Lord Sarkin
January 5th, 2004, 07:07 AM
martin i was kind of satisfied in a wierd way,because you could tell even by read the high chapters that there wasnt going to be a lot of loamhedge included.since i didnt know there was a new book coming out i wasnt really looking foward to anything but getting my hands on a copy.but they were looking in the gravyard for the healing item,not really in the main part of loamhedge.but there did kinda say it looked gone and decayed over time.

Senav
January 5th, 2004, 05:16 PM
I'm satisfied in the sense that it's a good book, better than Triss as far as I'm concerned. I'd be happeir if we'd learned more about Loamhedge itself, and what the heck this sickness was and so on, but for what we got, I'm happy.
Kharanjul and his army was neat, though...
As for another book about requested ideas, eh, why not?

Slagar the Cruel
January 5th, 2004, 05:55 PM
I was never all that curious about the exact details of Loamhedge to begin with, so I suppose I'm indifferent on the subject.

As for whether I'd like to see another "oft-requested story"... if Jacques can turn out an entertaining yarn using another such idea, then sure, I'm all for it.

I'd be happeir if we'd learned more about Loamhedge itself, and what the heck this sickness was and so on, but for what we got, I'm happy.
It was Dryditch fever... and it was explained deeply enough (at least for me) in Salamandastron.

Chelki Sureshot
February 5th, 2004, 01:28 PM
No, not really. What was Sister Amyl's secret? I wanted more of the layout and everything, but I suppose that was impossible with the earthquake and everything. Oh well.

Senav
February 5th, 2004, 04:25 PM
We did learn Amyl's secret, didn't we? The whole "mind over body" thing. Not a very logical explanation, but better than nothing.

Martin the Warrior
February 6th, 2004, 11:17 PM
Not really, no. Saro and Bragoon made up the one they found-- whether Amyl's secret was what Martha went through was never said. It could have been, but it's all speculation on our part. ;)

Keyla
February 12th, 2004, 01:30 PM
I personally was a little unsure about the idea of simply retelling the story of the plague, which is what I first imagined the story to be. Unlike "The Legend of Luke" the ending would have been too inevitable and the narrative, while perfect for a fanfic or short story, would not have been substancial enough to be drawn over an entire novel, at least not in my mind. Plus, the subject matter might be a bit too depressing and, while I can understand people's taste for a little bit of the darker side, it's not really what the series is about.
The abbey kept its edge of mystery and that is, perhaps, how it should stay. We got a tantalising taste but Brian, fortunately, did not linger around too long, which could have made the atmosphere fade and the idea itself go stale.

Madd The Sane
February 13th, 2004, 04:22 PM
It told a bit about the history about why they left. It didn't tell about what Loamhedge really did, such as day-to-day activities.

Mariel StormRider
March 14th, 2004, 02:08 AM
If only we could read that book about Loamhedge that Martha was reading at the begining!!!:lol: