PDA

View Full Version : Redwall not a pbs program?

Glenner
January 10th, 2004, 02:12 PM
Thats funny; I checked one of my local pbs channels like I do every once in a while to see if Redwall is airing. Well there was a list of programs to choose from, and so I clicked on "Redwall". Its said that Redwall is not a pbs program. I don't get it. Does it mean Redwall will no longer be on pbs, or was it just referring to my tv station?

Senav
January 10th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Who knows? It's PBS ;)

Really, that's all I know. I don't pay any attention to our PBS channel any more. There are no shows I want to watch, and they keep on asking for money.

Blurtail
January 11th, 2004, 02:32 PM
It is sindacated to PBS

Martin the Warrior
January 12th, 2004, 09:44 PM
PBS just has the US broadcast rights. The show belongs to Nelvana and their partners (Alphanim for season one, TV-Loonland AG for seasons two and three).

I do believe PBS' rights are set to expire fairly soon. The initial deal (for seasons one and two) only granted them the right to air through March 2003-- the deal was extended when they picked up season three (the specifics of which I can't locate at the moment). Nonetheless, I do believe we're nearing the point where Redwall will go off the air for good unless a cable channel picks it up for their line-up (I wouldn't be bothered if it wound up on Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network).

Glenner
January 12th, 2004, 11:17 PM
Well, suppose we'd better sharpen our pencils and write to Nick and CN. ;)

Either that, or we need to get a hold of the distribution place that distributes the tapes and tell them to put the rest of the series out.

rowanoak
January 13th, 2004, 07:18 PM
This makes me think, we should start a petition or, do something, to help try to get all the seasons of "Redwall" out on DVD, and make them more availble. I have yet to see any "Redwall" DVDs or videos at any of my local book/music/video stores.

Glenner
January 13th, 2004, 07:32 PM
You can order Episodes 1-6 of the first season on DVD online, but thats about it.

I'm with ya there on the petition, rowanoak.

rowanoak
January 15th, 2004, 06:56 AM
What network do you think would be good for "Redwall" to air on, besides PBS? Not everyone has cable, you know.

The Red Badger
January 15th, 2004, 05:24 PM
The Redwall DVD/Tapes is only on store shelves in Canada. Select ones, at that.

Those that don't have cable are virtually out of luck. PBS was our only go, there. If it gets bought by a cable channel, it'll be for the sole purpose of filling in an otherwise dead half-hour. It's not a "hot property".

Of the broadcast choices (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox), Fox leases their Saturday morning to 4Kids, which have their own shows to push onto the airwaves. CBS has a deal with Nick Jr. NBC has a deal with Discovery Kids. ABC is owned by Disney, which means only shows that help the corporate parent make it on the air.

Redwall for those without cable is over when PBS expires. But, cable is NOT a sure thing. Only theory. Myself, I think Redwall will go into TV limbo for years after this.

Cornflower
January 24th, 2004, 11:14 PM
I checked my local schedules and BOTH PBS channels I get have stopped airing the series (except for the occasional Redwall Movie showing). At least I taped the entire series' on three tapes before it went off, yet I hope they air it again because the tape quality is getting yucky now (lines through it).

t@gg :)
January 26th, 2004, 12:57 PM
the show isn't in canada anymore. :( i'm sad