PDA

View Full Version : Favourite book cover art?

Cheek Stag Otter
January 25th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Okay so I'm bored but this topic would have come up sooner or later.

My favourite's would have to be the UK cover for "Marlfox" and "Triss" and I also love the US covers of "Martin the Warrior" and "Loamhedge".

So what about you?

Chelki Sureshot
January 25th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Umm. . .I liked a lot of them. Have you seen the UK covers? UGh! **shudders** they were horrible! Except for The Long Patrol and Salamandastron. Those were very good. I think I'll order those ones. But as for the US, I like Lord Brocktree, Martin the Warrior, Outcast of Redwall, The Bellmaker, Pearls of Lutra, The Long Patrol, Marlfox, Taggerung, and Triss. And the badger and the bell for Loamhedge. Most of them are pretty cool, actually.

Cheek Stag Otter
January 26th, 2004, 12:19 PM
I LOVE the UK covers, its the US ones I'm none to keen on.
What don't you like about the UK covers? I feel the animals look way more realistic (and more as I imagine the characters) than the US ones.

Keyla
January 26th, 2004, 12:33 PM
I agree, although us Brits are probably a bit biased, as you Americans must also be. I guess we think of the characters as looking like that and therefore feel the cover is somehow in tune with how it is in the book. However, I like the way the animals actually look quite a bit like how they do in real life compared to the American covers, in my opinion. Sometimes you feel like you can touch the fur.
Chelki, surely you can't say the recent "Triss" (purple) and "Loamhedge" covers are ugly? There is such a richness to the landscape; it's quite breathtaking.

t@gg :)
January 26th, 2004, 12:50 PM
they do! especialy the taggerung.

Senav
January 26th, 2004, 03:53 PM
I always liked the covers for Marlfox and The Pearls of Lutra, at least, the UK versions. Now we get the US versions. *cries*
The Uk covers always seemed more realistic, and how I imagined the animals. As realistic as upright, English speaking, weapon making animals get, that is...

LordTBT
January 26th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Russian covers. :rolleyes: :D

Rockpaw
January 30th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Pearls of Lutra, the US version, rocked.:D

LadyBeelze
January 30th, 2004, 08:52 PM
I think all the UK covers look fantastic. Salamandastron, The Long Patrol, and The Bellmaker standing out amoung them.

The US covers aren't that bad (Its not a stick figure strapped on the front eh). Marlfox, Outcast of Redwall, and Mattimeo are my favorites out of them.
But it doesn't matter what the outside looks like, you still get the good redwall stories inside ^-^

Chelki Sureshot
January 31st, 2004, 05:12 PM
:confused: How can you like the UK covers so much better? THe characters are very real looking on the US ones.
Chelki, surely you can't say the recent "Triss" (purple) and "Loamhedge" covers are ugly? There is such a richness to the landscape; it's quite breathtaking. You mean the US or UK ones? The UK Triss was ok.But the US one was a whole lot better. I hated the Loamhedge UK one. Lonna was fat! It was horrible! http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0399237240.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0670910686.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg Compare the two. I admit I was a little disapointed with the characters on the US one, but I like it a heck of a lot better the the UK one. Do you want me too compare the other covers, with images? I can, you know, and would be happy to!

Keyla
February 3rd, 2004, 10:32 AM
Lonna was fat? I think broadchested would be a more accuratedescription, which fits with the fact that he, like most male badgers, is strong.
That aside, I cannot see why you think it is horrible. The character look almost as if you could feel their fur and the image itself has a nice composition.
What the image below does not show is the back of the book, which depicts
rising waters beneath a beautifully done star strewn sky. The image is really eye catching and the scene is well chosen for its visual potential, especially the fire arrow.
Of course I cannot make you think my way... well not until I or someone I know takes over the world.

The US cover for "Triss", while nice enough, always struck me as a bit- how can I put this nicely?- drab compared to the British one and the leading squirrel looked more like a leading lady... fith red fur and a squirrel's head. Her shape just seemed a bit odd to me. *shrugs*;)

Senav
February 3rd, 2004, 04:35 PM
Ooh, my computer's slowing down. We're due for another screw-up.

Anyway...I liked both Loamhedge covers. Lonna on the UK version, I suppose he was a bit big, but a badger is a bulky critter in real life.
But, I wanted the UK version of Triss so badly, with all its bright, purple, trippy cool-ness. Yes, trippy. The version I got is so...drab. I can't recall exact details, but Triss's proportions did look a bit freaky on the US version.

Badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger MUSHROOM MUSHROOM (I couldn't help it!)

Foremole
February 4th, 2004, 07:32 PM
I like the Bellmaker book cover the best because it actually shows Foremole, and it kinda sucks you into wanting to read it, as do all the other books too.:rolleyes:

Soren
February 11th, 2004, 12:53 AM
The UK Versions of The Bellmaker , Salamandastron , Lord Brocktree , Outcast of Redwall and finally The Legend of Luke would have to rate among my favorites. It would be interesting to hear the opinions on the worst cover as well.

Goddess of Darkness
March 14th, 2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Senav

Badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger MUSHROOM MUSHROOM (I couldn't help it!)

YAY!!!SOMEONE ELSE KNOWS ABOUT BADGERBADGERBADGER.COM!!!

Have you seen "Special Edition"? It's an LOTR/badger thing...it's great!

HERE COME HERE COME HERE COME THE BADGERS HERE COME HERE COME HERE COME THE BADGERS!!!
See the film the way it was meant to be...all badger scenes fully restored!

Rosie Cottontail
April 10th, 2004, 06:44 PM
My two favorites are Taggerung and Martin the Warrior. :hon:

Cheesethief
April 13th, 2004, 10:34 AM
harumph!!
t@gg and keyla(otters!), my fellow brits, i agree wholeheartedly with you. Some of the Us covers are a bit of alright but a few.......one of the things is that i think the artists must be using the american moes etc in their art. personally i would say that the uk covers exceptionally portray the characters. the scenery on uk mossflower editon is amazing, the foliage etc, even if the Wuddship is out of proportion. and another thing, i heard that in the early us edition of Mariel of redwall, Gabool had a pistol in his belt!!! urg! shot down outta the sky. however even though this was later rectified i dont like the somewhat hairy sea otter that is Finnbarr Galedeep on the front cover of the bellmaker. i am looking at a poster of the us covers now and the pearls of lutra is the best, and redwall is also good. but uk any day.

But it doesn't matter what the outside looks like, you still get the good redwall stories inside
no you don't. many of the words in the books were chaged to suit americans.

Cheesethief
April 14th, 2004, 12:57 PM
goddess of darkness, i too revere the great BADGERBADGERBADGER.COM! they have all the badger cartoons and other funny ones too on www.*can't remember*.com as well though. that's not a real site, to anyone readin this. i just cant remember the address!

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAKE! ARGH!

Senav
April 14th, 2004, 05:56 PM
no you don't. many of the words in the books were chaged to suit americans.
I think you took the statement too literally. Not saying that I'm not guilty of the crime...

And the badger cartoons (and other meaningless fun) are on www.weebls-stuff.com, I think.

t@gg :)
April 14th, 2004, 06:19 PM
Cheesethief, I'm not British! I'm Canadian! (But I am an Otter!)(Canadians got the UK covers until Triss)

Cheesethief
April 15th, 2004, 09:31 AM
ok senav, maybe i was a bit harsh. and it is weeblsstuff.com.
t@gg, you're canadian? Im soooo stupid sometimes. i just assumed when you were talking about the uk covers, without looking at the location thingamijigger.:)