PDA

View Full Version : Rufe Brush

Ehar
February 8th, 2004, 10:26 AM
I was wondering whether anyone noticed the differance between Rufe Brush's character from Mariel of Redwall to The Bellmaker. I mean in Mariel of Redwall he is described as a tough sort of squirrel and in The Bellmaker his suddenly very timid. Does anyone know whats up with this.

Keyla
February 8th, 2004, 01:45 PM
As I recollect he was quite quiet in "Mariel of Redwall", described as "the strong silent type", I believe, and was intimidated by Treerose' advances. I know what you mean, though, but it is not a completely inconceivable small change. In "The Bellmaker" what makes him seem rather timid is his longing to be back at the abbey, rather than anything else really.

Slagar the Cruel
February 8th, 2004, 05:39 PM
I've noticed it, and it irritated me a bit... not enough to ruin the book for me, but it was pretty annoying.

Originally posted by Keyla
In "The Bellmaker" what makes him seem rather timid is his longing to be back at the abbey, rather than anything else really.
That's the only decent excuse anyone can give for Rufe's complete personality change, but I don't think it's quite accurate. I'm pretty sure that Durry Quill calls Rufe Brush a "young'un" at some point, probably during the excursion to the Isle of Wrecked Ships. Considering that Durry was quite young in Mariel of Redwall while Rufe Brush seemed considerably older... I'm pretty sure it was just an unfortunate oversight on the author's part.

Senav
February 8th, 2004, 07:15 PM
So sad a change, eh? He was much more fun as a tough guy who gets embarresed by a flirty gal, and I thougt the way Rufe handled Treerose was sometimes funny. Very rare to see the strong silent type handled this well in most fanfics *poke*Superstripe*poke*

Ehar
February 8th, 2004, 07:34 PM
I agree Senav, I liked the strong, silent Rufe more than the timid one.

Pennybright
February 9th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Yes he changed, but I never put much thought into why or anything. I do not know why, as I usually dwell on things like this for a long time.

Chelki Sureshot
February 9th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Hmm. . .Yeah, I kinda noticed that too. But if I was told I had to go to another place on a ship when I'd never seen teh ocean, I'd probably be a bit timid too. It didn't bother me.

Mariel StormRider
February 15th, 2004, 12:30 AM
I kinda noticed that too. Rufe Brush was much stronger in battle in Mariel of Redwall, unlike how, in the words of Finbarr Galedeep, he was "halfhearted" in the Bellmaker. He's not the only character that's inconsistant. I though abbot saxtus had a huge change in the books. In Mariel of Redwall, he was about the same age as Dandin. It showed in the way they acted around each other. In the Bellmaker, he seemed to be much older, while Dandin didn't really change. Granted he's been the father abbot for a while, while Dandin and Mariel have been off questing, but still. Also, this totally offends me. In Martin the Warrior, in the prolouge, (which is between MoR and the Bellmaker) Saxtus refered to Mariel and Dandin as "young ones"!!!! HE'S SUPPOSED TO BE THE SAME AGE AS DANDIN, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess the character inconsistancies are my only critic for the Redwall books

t@gg :)
February 23rd, 2004, 04:20 PM
I don't know whats up with that.

Keyla
March 2nd, 2004, 03:47 PM
Saxtus is a funny one because we start by thinking of him and Dandin as quite alike, but by "The Bellmaker" they are very different. This is true of various character pairs that drift apart over the course of a book or several books, such Sagax and Scarum. Dandin and Saxtus have grown up and consequently changed and become more like who they actually are. Even to begin with one can tell the latter is always going to prefer the homely abbey while the former would love adventure. Saxtus struck me as being a bit like an old head on young shoulders. I always thought it was quite an interesting character portrayal.

Mariel StormRider
March 2nd, 2004, 06:17 PM
I guess that's a good way to describe his wisdom. Also, I hve a feeling Dandin's more physically fit than him, with questing and all. :lol:

Senav
March 4th, 2004, 04:48 PM
Questing's good for ya. Tones up the muscles, doncha know.
I know that Saxtus was more...mature than Dandin, but he still had a few "young feller" moments. In The Bellmaker, he seemed more mature altogether.
Do note that I'm re-reading Bellmaker at the moment. How odd.

Keyla
March 5th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Yes, I would guess that he would have lost that element to his personality as he grew into his job as abbot.