PDA

View Full Version : So who on earth was the central character then?

Keyla
February 12th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Well, it certainly baffled me.;) Forget Sister Amyl's secret! Stop questioning how "mind over matter" works! Who was the hero/heroine in this most impressive entry to the series?

Is it Lonna, the bloodwrath filled bow-wielding badger? After all the book starts with him and without him the abbey would have surely been overrun. But how is he related to the central quest and the title of book itself?

How about Horty? Many would argue that he is the most clearly developed of all the characters and is certainly unforgettable. But were his action that pivotal to the story, other than accidently falling down a grave?

Why not the beloved Sarabando and Bragoon? They are true heroes and a real break from the Redwall norm, showing that it is not only the young that go off questing. But did they develop and, if not, can we truly crown them as the hero and heroine?

Last but not least: will Martha get your vote? While she barely leaves the abbey for the entire book she is the centre of the quest and her growth as a character is tracked very closely. But can we call a character who does not fight the enemy other than with small packets of hotroot pepper the heroine?

Well, citizens of this forum, it is your choice. Of course, you may think I have missed someone vital, in which case you may vote for other and state who in your post.

t@gg :)
February 12th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Saro and Bragoon!

LadyBeelze
February 13th, 2004, 04:17 PM
I voted other because most all main characters are 'heroes' in redwall books. Battles are not won by only one person y'know

Keyla
February 14th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Yes, all the tales in the series are ensemble pieces, to a certain extent, but all have some central that is possible to pick out. Another way of looking at it is to imagine Brian were writing a second installment of "The Redwall Friend and Foe", not that he would just yet: for "Lord Brocktree", "(The) Taggerung" and "Triss" the title says it all, but whom would he pick for "Loamhedge"?
Well, I confess I have been a little hypocritical, enquiring as to everyone else's choices without revealing my own. I voted for Martha, though it was a close call. She is at the centre of both clumps of storylines we boil down to at the end: defender of the abbey and breaker of the problem of Lonna being seperated from them; centre of the quest to Loamhedge. The fact that the abbey is in the title suggests that it is at the heart of the novel in Brian's mind and, consequently, so is Martha's plight, although one might argue the title was chosen in order to argue the key selling point to fans who do not know the blurb. True, she most certainly breaks the mold in that she does very little fighting and has no "big shown down" with the enemy, but I think this is an interesting change, rather than an indication that she is not the central character: that her quest is not over great landscapes but within herself; that she must overcome herself and her internal block, rather than some blacker than black villain.

Sandstripe the Wild
March 12th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Yah that may be true but remember the Outcast of Redwall, Veil was supose to be the main character and in the end the story revolved more around Sunflash and Swartt than anyone else.

Keyla
March 14th, 2004, 06:41 AM
Well, I reckon it was intended that the "outcast" title applied not only to Veil but to Sunflash too, as in that he was in exile from Mossflower, although it could have been better worded. Veil was, in my opinion, the most important character because he tied the two halves of the tale together even if one would not call him the central hero. The idea of the "outcast" also worked well with the idea of restoration

Glenner
March 27th, 2004, 12:23 PM
You know, I've never really though about this. My first thought would be Martha, but Bragoon and Sarobando were really central to the plot as well. *shrugs* I dunno. Jut one of those books which has got a whole slew of main characters.

Senav
March 27th, 2004, 07:01 PM
I'd say Saro and Bragoon. They were cool, and proof that being old doesn't mean being feeble.
Though, when you think about it, all the characters do play big parts...

Rockpaw
March 29th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Saro and Brag, since the sacrificed their lives for Horty, Fenna(???) and wotsername. :rolleyes:

Candied Chesnut
July 29th, 2004, 10:37 PM
id say martha because isnt she the reason why brag and saro went to loamhedge anyways? the whole thing started so she could walk...

Lonna Bowstripe
July 30th, 2004, 11:00 AM
I've never thought about it before. Now that I think about it, I'd say it's like LOTR, with a whole ton of important characters. (Wait, how old is this thread? :eek: March? Well, at least it's not 2003 :D ) When you really get down to it, I'd really have to say Martha, because she saved the abbott and the whole story is about her, and Lonna, because without him, there wouldn't be any Redwall Abbey.

Cheesethief
July 30th, 2004, 04:33 PM
i voted for brag and saro ages ago. they were certainly the mains. im rereading loamhedge, and, so far, those two are indeed the best.
nice avatar, candy. ;)