PDA

View Full Version : Redwall Research Paper

Dannflower Reguba
February 15th, 2004, 10:43 PM
I'm doing a research paper for my Brit Lit class in school. It has to be about a British author, so I chose BJ. However, I'm at a bit of a loss on what subject I should write about. It's supposed to be persuasive on some level. Do you guys have any ideas?

Keyla
February 16th, 2004, 05:36 AM
Well, of course, there is the obvious "Why you should read Redwall"/"Why it's so good" kind of thing.
How about, considering this is British Literature class, what it is about the series that makes it identifiably British in its writing style and content and thus persuade your reader that it is undeniably British. Perhaps go beyond accents and whatnot to talk about Brian's inspiration for different characters and landscapes and the links the series has to the UK's historical past, eg. knights, feudalism, monastries.

Dannflower Reguba
February 18th, 2004, 07:01 PM
That's not a half bad idea. Though I have to wonder whether I could do that, considering I know almost nothing concerning the differences between British Literature and every other kind. All I really know is that they add a "u" in come places and switch around their "er"s.

It's all Greek to me.

Keyla
February 19th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Well, I'm sure the spelling would be changed for the US editions anyway. What I mean is looking at the inspiration behind the book and showing how this book would not have been written by an American, unless he did some really stringent research and, for some strange reason, felt like mimicing Britishness.
If you want to pursue this avenue, I recommend going over to The Official Site (http://www.redwall.org) and having a look at the stuff it has regarding Brian Jacques and his inspiration.

Chelki Sureshot
February 19th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Yeah, that's a good idea. Too bad the autobiography isn't out yet. Good luck on your paper!

Dannflower Reguba
February 19th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Yeah, I hope to do well. Anyway, though I ended up deciding not to use Keyla's idea, it DID make me think of one. I began thinking about BJ's writing style, and how he writes children's books, and I began to realize the difference between his definition of "children's books" and other writers'. So, thanks Keyla!

Keyla
February 20th, 2004, 08:58 AM
I'm glad you've got your idea for your research paper. It sounds like a very intriguing one with plenty of mileage. Good luck!