PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets?

LadyBeelze
November 15th, 2002, 02:54 PM
Its in my town's theater right now but i don't know if i want to go on the first day because it would be so hard finding good seats. Anyone seen it yet, was it good, better than the first? Well I'm off to play a game on the computer, aidos.

Lyrian Aryns
November 15th, 2002, 06:29 PM
I remember last year, when the first movie came out, the entire parkinglot of our movie theater was totally filled... As in, no parking. For the whole mall. It was rather intimidating... I actually got to see the movie on the Sunday after it came out, and there was an actual line to get into the theater... And it'll be like that this time, too, I'd imagine.

But, anyway, I'll probably be seeing it somtime this weekend, but probably not tonight. 'Twill give me a chance to reskim the book, so I can nitpick on very single little thing and drive my mom crazy. ;)

Martin the Warrior
November 15th, 2002, 07:29 PM
I'm not sure when I'll get around to seeing it. I never wound up seeing the first one in theatres. The only movie coming up I'll be in line on opening day for is The Two Towers. Of course, there's the fact that Chamber of Secrets isn't my favorite Potter book...

I'll see it eventually, though. Yet one more sequel in a year of sequels.

Baby Rollo
November 15th, 2002, 07:49 PM
I probably won't see it in theaters. My brother is seeing it right now because he's going to his friend's party. I don't want to see it anyway. I hated the first Harry Potter Movie. I felt that it was too slow and nothing exciting actually happened.

Airemia
November 16th, 2002, 04:13 PM
I saw it on opening night! Yay! It was great! Better than the first! Go see it! :D

All right, my sister and I had tickets for the 7:20 show, and we got there at 5:15. So we asked one of the guys who works there when we could line up. They told us to line up at 7:00! Well, we laughed at that, and went and asked another guy, and he told us to line up at quarter to seven! Arrrgh! So we waited and waited and waited, and then at like 6:15 we walked over by where they were going to be letting people line up, and at that moment, they let this huge group of people into line! NOOOOOO!!! But we got in line straight away after that, and ended up getting the best seats!

And I saw one of my fictional husbands (Tom Riddle), but he... er... Well I can't tell you! Go see it! I guess I could put a spoiler warning... Here...

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

My husband exploded. :(

MoonShadow
November 16th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Um... alrighty then....

I'll probably be seeing Harry Potter sometimes during the Thanksgiving break (I almost typed "Harry Potter break" :\), like I did last year.

I've read a review on it on New York Times Online, and it says that the digital effects are extremely good, better than the last movie, and that Hogwarts seems more realistic than before. Well, I saw a trailer for new HP movie, and it looks... rather exciting.

Lyrian Aryns
November 16th, 2002, 04:54 PM
Bah! I was going to see it today, but apparently, my mom forgot she had a class this weekend. :\ Perhaps I could pursuade her to go to the six forty-five showing... I just thought I'd complain for a second there.

In any case, it sounds really good, from what I've read.

Lord Servone
November 16th, 2002, 06:30 PM
I saw it today. Really enjoyed it. Even liked it better than the first one... My favorite character was probably Lockhart...I thought Kenneth Branagh was very funny as him... As I said, I liked it better than the first... as I've heard a lot of critics say, the first movie was the set-up whilst the second is...well, I forgot what they said but I remember agreeing.

The actual viewing of the movie, however, wasn't the best. Good theatre but since it was Harry Potter, it was full of little kids. Noisy little kids. Some times screaming, and often moving, kids.... was to be expected :\

Glenner
November 16th, 2002, 09:39 PM
I just got back from seeing it, and if you thought nothing happened in the first one, the go see thew second one. WAY more action.

Any, this movie was excellent, the digital effects were a lot better, Rupert did an even more excellent job as Ron, and.....it was just cute.

The only problems I faced during the movie was that I felt my bladder was going to explode by the middle of it, (but i refused to leave) and the kids in back of us talked CONSTANTLY. They had full-fledged convos! Not only that, the language this young boy used when his sister asked to him to go with her to the bathroom was just dispicable. He rufused to take her. So that caused even more yakking...So, that distracted me from certain parts of the movie. My sister told them to shut up, and I even asked them to be quiet nicely but..Yak, yak, yak.

Other than that, I enjoyed myself.:)

Cale Yin
November 17th, 2002, 09:37 AM
I'm going to see it next weekend. When there (hopefully) won't be long lines and/or too many kid.

LadyBeelze
November 17th, 2002, 10:24 AM
i'm going to see it this monday :D

can't wait but there probably will be a bunch of little kids making noise, oh well

MoonShadow
November 17th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Well, the crowds are definitely going to clear out by the time I'm going there...

And who said sequals were worser than the original? ;)

Gabool the Wild
November 17th, 2002, 01:06 PM
I saw it last night, but, since it was the 10:00 show and I didn't get home till 1:30, (It takes a half an hour usually to get to the theater but since it was snowing and frezzing raining, we had to drive slowly and it took us longer) I was too tired to post my review. But here it is now:

The movie overall was pretty good, but still not great. Maybe this is because this is my second favorite of the 4. Maybe the next movie, the greatest of the 4, will be great. The graphics were indeed much better than the last one, and like the last one, this one had several comedic moments. Now for the actor reviews:

First, the returning cast:
Harry and Ron did a much better job this time around I think. Probably because they have had another year of experience. The only real difference between the movies besides the improvment of acting ability is their vocies have gotten deeper but this is ok. Ron had a few funny moments while Harry had barely had any at all.Hermione's acting got a little better in this movie, but I don't think it was that bad in the first one.

Draco's acting actually got worse in this movie. In the first movie, I didn't think it was that bad, but in this movie, it was not very good at all. Oh well, maybe it will improve for the next movie.

Professor McGonagall got better in this movie but again, I didn't think she was bad at all in the first one. I mean come on, it's Maggie Smith, how can she be bad? Snape returned and I think he was just as good as in the last movie. Also, Hagrid, the big Teddy Bear came back, and though he wasn't in much of the movie, he was just as good as in the last one. Actually, the ending almost made me cry.

Of course the Dursleys returned but they weren't in the movie for very long at all. It's kind of difficult to compare them between the two movies.

Finally, the late Richard Harris reprised his role as the wise Professor Dumbledore in his last acting appearence. Unfortunatley, I don't think he did as good as in the last one. He spoke very softley and I think you could tell that he was sick while filming. Oh well :(

Now for the newbies:
However Dobby was made to move, it was done very well and very comically too. The voice actor did a good job as well and I think the voice fit very well. I look forward to seeing him again in the fouth movie.(or maybe fifth, I read that they might split the fouth book movie into two movies.)

Gilderoy Lockhart was excellent. The actor did a very good job making him funny and concieted and, in the end, somewhat mean. Too bad he won't be in another movie. (Unless, of course, he's brought back in the 5th, 6th, or 7th book).

Madam Pomfrey and Professor Sprout were nice funny additions to the cast. It's too bad they weren't shown in the last movie. I'll look forward to seeing them in the next.

Tom Riddle did an OK job. He certainly wasn't my favorite, but he wasn't terrible either. He was pretty good at being somewhat sly though.

Finally, for my favorite addition to the cast, Lucious Malfoy. Whoever the actor was who played him did an excellent job. He was so, perfect for this character. I am certainly very anxious to see him again in future movies. Boy, they better not recast this character.

Well there you have it, a character review of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, and probably my longest post ever. :D

Airemia
November 17th, 2002, 03:11 PM
I thought they all acted quite well... The kids definitely improved, but I think Emma Watson is the best actor out of the three.

The first book was the worst, in my opinion. It wasn't bad, it was actually really good, but it was sort of setting up for everything, just like the movie. I just can't decide which book I like more... Chamber of Secrets, Azkaban, or Goblet of Fire! Arrgh!

What's good about Chamber of Secrets is that it had two of my favourite characters in it. Tom Riddle and Ron. My other favourite character, Sirius Black, is in the next one. Can't wait! :D

Baby Rollo
November 18th, 2002, 04:49 PM
I want to see The Ring and get the diapers scared out of me! I'll probably see Harry Potter II when it comes out on DVD or HBO.

Lyrian Aryns
November 18th, 2002, 05:32 PM
I just saw it yesterday... I would have posted this then, if I hadn't of had so much blasted homework... anyway.
I rather enjoyed it, as I did the last one. The only thing I would really gripe about would be that they edited out Nick's deathday party, which I wanted to see for some strange reason... but that really didn't bug me that much.
Well, that, and the fact that they felt the need to switch lines around from various characters... and it really didn't make a lot of sense as to why. :\ I also don't like how they screwed with the Quidditch matches, although this one was a lot better than the one in the last movie...

But, overall, they did a good job with it.

Slagar the Cruel
November 18th, 2002, 07:14 PM
I saw it - the day it came out, actually. It was convenient, and most kids were in school at the time, so I thought, "what the heck?"

Well, there was a lot less exposition this time around. What am I saying? There was NO exposition this time around. ;) But that's a good thing, right? Anyways, Dobby was good, but his voice was a lot less squeaky then I imagined. Again, probably a good thing. ;) Branagh was good as Lockhart - he portrayed the character perfectly. "Celebrity is as celebrity does!" Lucius Malfoy was also portrayed really well - very evil and deceptive.

And on a final note... the Basilisk owns. ;)

Airemia
November 18th, 2002, 08:00 PM
The spider scene was terrifying, to say the least. It scared the heck out of the entire audience, actually, but you see... I'm extremely arachnophobic. And there were like hundreds of spiders attacking them and... argh! It was scary. :p

Goozy
November 19th, 2002, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by Slagar the Cruel

And on a final note... the Basilisk owns. ;)

ARRRRGH! You beat me to it!!

Yes, the movie was IMHO, 100x better than the last one. In all seriousness, did anything exciting happen in the first book? No, not really. It was pretty slow compared to the other books and it was just an introduction to the characters.

On the topic of actors, all the actors improved greatly. ESPECIALLY Radcliffe. Ron just got better and better like Emma did... oy vey!

Heh.. Lucius Malfoy.. mm.. ^_^;

And the Basilisk.. ::drools in a convenient puddle on the floor::

Airemia
November 19th, 2002, 01:15 PM
Umm, Lucius Malfoy wasn't *nearly* as good looking as Tom Riddle! :cool:

Martin the Warrior
November 19th, 2002, 06:56 PM
Gabool
Finally, for my favorite addition to the cast, Lucious Malfoy. Whoever the actor was who played him did an excellent job. He was so, perfect for this character. I am certainly very anxious to see him again in future movies. Boy, they better not recast this character.

His name is Jason Isaacs, a terrific actor (also seen in The Patriot). I've long thought he'd be perfect to play the villain from a story I wrote awhile ago, so I guess you could say I'm a fan of his. With him as Malfoy and Alan Rickman as Snape, the former Death Eaters are extremely well-cast.

Gabool the Wild
November 19th, 2002, 08:32 PM
Snape was a death-eater?! My goodness, do I need to reread the books. Well it has been what, two years since number 4 came out and I read it?

Lord Servone
November 19th, 2002, 09:25 PM
Jason Isaacs was also in Dragonheart...Lord Felton...the guy in which"only he could keep such a sly brain under such a bad hat" ;P.

I agree,he is a great actor...he was such a hatable character as Lucious Malfoy... Next to Lockhart, he was my favorite new character (though we probably won't be seeing Lockhart again...unless he's in the next books...).

Lyrian said:
...edited out Nick's deathday party...
Nearly Headless Nick had more scenes in the book? Why'd they cut them out of the movie? They're wasting John Cleese's comedic talent! xP

Slagar the Cruel
November 20th, 2002, 02:55 PM
Snape was a death-eater?! My goodness, do I need to reread the books.Technically - he was actually a traitor to the Death Eaters, and supplied invaluable information to the good people. I can't remember if he was a spy all along or if he was a loyal Death Eater at one point.

Nearly Headless Nick had more scenes in the book? Why'd they cut them out of the movie? They're wasting John Cleese's comedic talent! xPTo make more space... although I would've suggested cutting out Knockturn Alley. I mean, if you're going to remove what makes a scene like that important (Lucius Malfoy buying the book... or at least mentioning it... I can't remember... :S), then why leave it in at all? ;) Well, anyways, the Deathday party would've been great - the Headless Hunt, and all that. But maybe they thought it would be too morbid...? I dunno.

Cale Yin
November 20th, 2002, 04:21 PM
Wait wait wait... Lucius Malfoy is the blonde boy who got into Slitherin, is he not? Who is he? I don't remember. -.-

Lyrian Aryns
November 20th, 2002, 05:16 PM
Draco Malfoy is the Slytherin kid, Lucius is his father.

As for the spider scene, I actually found it funny... just, the herd of them converging on the car... yes, I have a strange sense of humor.
It also bugged me that they edited out Peeves... some of the scenes in the book with him were just hysterical, as I remember.

Martin the Warrior
November 20th, 2002, 06:36 PM
Peeves was edited out again!? Boy, he sure peeved someone off. ;)

Red Draco
November 20th, 2002, 08:49 PM
I found the first book very boring. I almost didn't bother with the second. Chamber of Secrets is my favourite so far ... I haven't read Goblet yet though. ;)

Lord Servone
November 20th, 2002, 10:27 PM
I was wondering...did anybody stay after the credits? Apparently, it was supposed to reveal the humorous fate of what happened to a main character...that's all I know about it :\

LadyBeelze
November 21st, 2002, 08:16 AM
i seen it on monday but i haven't had the time to go on the computer lately.

Emma,Ruper, and radclife did a way better job in my opinion...tho there voices were a little changed....i wonder if they will even be in the 4th movie with them getting older

the spider scene was wicked..............*shudders*

the only two parts i jumped a inch or two was in knockturn alley when the hand snaps down and when the giant snake thingey jumps out of the water EEK

they left out the deathday party! and i still haven't seen peeves in there

Lockheart was hilarious .......*thinks of the part where harry has no bones...........euuuuuuuuu*

Burping Slugs.........................lol

but it was a good movie all the same, i can't wait till the next one....they have to find a new dumbledore first i expect...which will be hard because how can you get a person that looks like the person that used to play it........:confused:

i got to go to school, aidos

Airemia
November 21st, 2002, 01:33 PM
Technically - he was actually a traitor to the Death Eaters, and supplied invaluable information to the good people. I can't remember if he was a spy all along or if he was a loyal Death Eater at one point.

Actually, I don't think it says at all. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I saw it again yesterday, and stayed after the credits because my sister made me. Argh. It was pretty funny, but the credits are really long. :rolleyes:

Martin the Warrior
November 21st, 2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Slagar the Cruel
Technically - he was actually a traitor to the Death Eaters, and supplied invaluable information to the good people. I can't remember if he was a spy all along or if he was a loyal Death Eater at one point.

The impression I always got was that Snape was a Death Eater, switched colors halfway (convinced by Dumbledore, perhaps?), and then began spying. This ties into my belief that the reason Dumbledore never appoints Snape as the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher is the same reason you never give an alcoholic a drink-- they'll suffer a relapse.

MoonShadow
November 23rd, 2002, 11:18 AM
Well, the fourth book had a very cliffhangy-ish ending, which was really annoying to me, since this was the only time I had to wait for a year for the next book to come out (I only had to wait like a few days for my mom to get the Chamber of Secrets for me out of some location that i don't remember, I got Prisoner of Azkaban in a short time as a Christmas present, and there was only like a half a year for the IV book to come out). But then... the release date kept getting pushed back, and back, and back.... *sigh*

I also was under the impression that Snape was a Death Eater, and then betrayed them for whatever reason....

Draco's acting actually got worse in this movie.
Well, I read in a Nickelodean magazine in the school library, and the reason why Malfoy's acting might have gotten worse is because:
1. He never read the Harry Potter books
2. He decided that he wasn't nasty enough in the first movie, so he tried to get nastier. As a result, he might have tried too hard and gone totally horrible acting-wise.

Cale Yin
November 23rd, 2002, 08:35 PM
I saw it. It was great.
I thought the no-bones part was the funniest part. He just... bent the arm all the way back and... WHOO... :D

I jumped a couple inches out of my seat at the hand scene and the basilisk jumping scene too. The spider scene didn't bother me at all. Spiders bother me in real life but not on screen.
The upchucking slugs part made me queasy. I really hate seeing things like that. Yuk. Poor Ron... -_-
I thought the whole climax scene, in the Chamber, wasn't as well done as it could have been, but only until Harry figured out how to do the thing he had to do. (I don't wanna spoil it.)

And I stayed after the credits (which took years!!!) and it was pretty funny. My mom and sister whined at me, "We stayed for that?"

Sarkin23
November 24th, 2002, 05:47 AM
I just saw harry Potter and the chamber of secerets last night.
I thought it was I good movie.I had forgotten so much about the book that the movie kept me guessing.2 thumbs up!