PDA

View Full Version : Leonids again

Cale Yin
November 17th, 2002, 09:49 AM
I thought it was a once-in-a-lifetime thing but apparently they are coming back. Probably not nearly as good as... well, whenever they were last time... But here is a rather large article on them.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/832133.asp#BODY

For those who don't know, Leonids are meteors that go by/through/crash into/come from/are eaten by/gather flowers at/perform experiments upon etc. etc. etc. Earth. And they are here every ....? Year? 70 years was what I heard last time. Anyone who knows more about when they come, please tell me.

Treerose
November 20th, 2002, 08:55 PM
Ah, the Leonids. :) Did anyone get to see them, despite the great blinkin' moon hogging up the sky? ;) I couldn't... had stuff going on during the peak hours until it was too late. :(

Caleyin...well, this is a little after the fact, but if you want some more information about the Leonids:

http://www.planetary.org/html/news/articlearchive/headlines/2002/leonids2002.html

Tree

~~~~

"The best ideas come to me when I polish my shoes early in the morning."

~Johannes Brahms~

Cale Yin
November 21st, 2002, 03:29 PM
I didn't see them because it was a school night, but I did see the moon around 9 or 10. Did anyone else see the moon before they went to bed that night? There was a sort of rainbow aura around it. It was really cool.

Treerose
November 21st, 2002, 10:47 PM
Interesting you should mention looking at the moon at that time, Caleyin. There was a lunar eclipse on the 19th, at about 9:00... where the earth casts a shadow on the moon. It was supposed to be kind of hard to see, though. I missed it, of course. I've been missing all the sky sights recently. :(

Not too much else coming up. Saturn's next to the moon... other planets are either hidden, very faint, or visible only near dawn, I think. The sun's got those huge new sunspots. That's about all that's going on, though.

Tree

~~~~

"Talent works, genius creates."

~Robert Schumann~

MoonShadow
November 22nd, 2002, 05:03 PM
Okay... I've missed the lunar eclispe (if I was even in the right location), the viewing of the moon with the rainbow aurora thingy around it, and the lenoids, but it was too early for me to wake up and see it. ;b There's always next year.

And probably the most amazing astronomical event I've seen was a partial solar eclispe. We were wearing like three sunglasses ontop of each other so we could see the sun properly. :cool:

Lyrian Aryns
November 22nd, 2002, 05:26 PM
There was a solar eclipse here once... when I was in kindergarten. All I got to see was the very beginning, though. They cancelled recess so kids wouldn't damage their eyes looking up at the sun... :\

But I pretty much never get to see all thos cool astronomical thingamawhatsits anyway... Dratted school shouldn't start so early.

MoonShadow
November 22nd, 2002, 06:31 PM
Yeah... my dad and I were discussing how school should start at a later time one time in the car. But then, school would end so much later. *sigh*

Treerose
November 22nd, 2002, 08:48 PM
And probably the most amazing astronomical event I've seen was a partial solar eclispe. We were wearing like three sunglasses ontop of each other so we could see the sun properly.

Ouch... Just so you know, using sunglasses - no matter how many - provides no protection against the sun's rays.... I've seen it called eye suicide to do so. There are plenty of safe alternatives, such as using solar filters specifically made for watching eclipses, or watching a projection of the eclipse using the pinhole-on-a-piece-of-cardboard-paper method. Just...not sunglasses. ;)

Tree

~~~~

On finding a misprint in one of his scores:

"That's the worst of my reputation as a modern composer - everyone must have thought I meant it."

~Igor Stravinsky~