PDA

View Full Version : As Smeagol would say, "Publisherses!"

NoRacoonsInRedwall
April 17th, 2004, 04:00 PM
I have an interesting question for everyone present. Lord_Brocktree and I have to say that Firebird fantasy editions are the best publications of the Redwall series and that the Ace versions are too stocky and hard to read and the binding gets buttcracked all the time. Ace or Firebird? Or splurge for Hardcover?

Lyrian Aryns
April 17th, 2004, 04:38 PM
I have the first twelve in the ace paperback format, which seem fine to me. I've read my own copies through at least once each, and not one of them has a cracked spine. Of course, I do go out of my way to keep the spines from cracking, so that's probably why. They're also more portable. ;P

Are the firebirds kinda like trade paperbacks? I've heard of them, but I've never actually seen one... I tend to dislike trades, though.

I buy the new ones in hardback mostly because I'm impatient, and by the time my library gets a copy, the paperback's usually out. So.

LadyBeelze
April 17th, 2004, 07:21 PM
All of my redwall books are ace paperback mainly because i don't have alot of money (Except lord brocktree, triss, and loamhedge). I don't really care too much, as long as you get the story it doesn't matter.

Cheesethief
April 18th, 2004, 08:12 AM
hmmmmmm.
in britain, all the hardbacks used to be hutchinson, and the paperbacks by red fox. however in the paperbacks there is some appalling typesetting, so bj dumped Hutch and Foxy for the Puffin. this was after taggerung. so triss and loamhedge are puffin. however red fox still do the companions.
however i have a first edition redwall paperback, which is brill. it's by a company called arrow i think.
the problem is that now the paperback triss doesnt match the other paperbacks. i have the hardback triss, but my friend doesnt so its like: red fox red fox red fox then puffin, so they dont look nice lined up on his shelf.

t@gg :)
April 19th, 2004, 01:16 PM
All my books are red fox paper backs except Legend of Luke, The Taggerung, Triss and Loamhedge.(they are by hutchinson) BTW, the new paperbacks here in Canada stink!

Martin the Warrior
April 24th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Lyrian Aryns
Are the firebirds kinda like trade paperbacks? I've heard of them, but I've never actually seen one... I tend to dislike trades, though.

No, the Firebird editions are more in line with children's chapter books. They're roughly the same size as, say, a Beverly Cleary book, Goosebumps, Babysitters Club, etc. Possibly a bit broader. I may just scan in some comparision shots so people can see the difference for themselves.

Slagar the Cruel
April 24th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Martin the Warrior
No, the Firebird editions are more in line with children's chapter books. They're roughly the same size as, say, a Beverly Cleary book, Goosebumps, Babysitters Club, etc. Possibly a bit broader.
I'd imagine they'd be a bit broader... I can't imagine somebody fitting all of a Redwall book into a, what, sixty-page format? ;)

Martin the Warrior
April 24th, 2004, 05:05 PM
"Broader" refers to the width of the cover, not the thickness (in which case I'd have said "thicker").

Cheesethief
April 26th, 2004, 12:22 PM
slagar's certainly a bit thicker than you martin!!!:D :lol: :slagar

Cheesethief
April 28th, 2004, 07:22 AM
Apologies, slagar. that post came out sounding a bit harsh which was unacceptable. so sorry.
but it was quite good, eh?:lol: