PDA

View Full Version : Birds of Prey

Grath87
November 18th, 2002, 09:58 PM
Has anyone else gotten into the new WB series "Birds of Prey?"

~Kathryn

Martin the Warrior
November 19th, 2002, 07:10 PM
The Batman fan in me made me give the pilot a chance. But, the general disrespect shown to the character of Batman and Bruce Wayne, plus the Schumacher-esque take on Gotham (I still fail to see why it's called "New Gotham"), not to mention the unrealistic treatment of the GCPD, drove me away and I've never looked back. I could type up a fairly long rant on what was wrong with the pilot, but I won't. ;) I will say, however, that my chief complaint was that they made Batman so fragile that Batgirl's paralysis and the murder of Catwoman were enough to make him abandon his crusade. He endured the paralysis fine in the comics and experienced far worse than the death of Catwoman. Smallville, at least, treats the character of Superman and Clark Kent with respect. I can't say the same for BoP.

Probably not the response you were looking for. ;)

Grath87
November 19th, 2002, 08:17 PM
Naw, you just didn't like it.

To me it's a good replacement for "Dark Angel" with all the girl-kicking-peoples-behinds action.

It's spunky, acting isn't great, but the Matrixy action makes up for it.

~Kathryn

Martin the Warrior
November 20th, 2002, 06:31 PM
If only "Matrixy" fighting fit Gotham. ;)

I've noticed that TV Guide, which was a big supporter of the series in the beginning (to the point of insulting anyone who disagreed), recently panned it. I'm not sure if ratings match their opinion-shift, though. Probably not, as TV Guide doesn't make or break shows these days.

Baby Rollo
November 20th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Matrixy action! Another reason not to see this show. Matrix action only works in Matrix movies. It gets really annoying and repetitive when other media start copying it.

Grath87
November 20th, 2002, 06:51 PM
Well it's not Matrixy action as much as it is really cool action. Just lots of kick butt! :D :slagar

It's still a cool show. :cornflow:

~Kathryn

Martin the Warrior
November 20th, 2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Baby Rollo
Matrixy action! Another reason not to see this show. Matrix action only works in Matrix movies. It gets really annoying and repetitive when other media start copying it.

I wouldn't go that far. It's been used to great effect in other shows and movies-- Smallville and Spider-Man, to name a few.