PDA

View Full Version : Rakkety Tam cover

Chesk Otter
May 4th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Just pointing out that the Rakkety Tam cover is up at redwall.org

redwall.org (http://www.redwall.org/dave/news.php)

And with an approximate release date and summary:

"From beyond the cold northern seas and the lands of ice, a terrifying beast arrives on the shores of Mossflower Country: Gulo the Savage! With his crew of white-furred vermin, this creature out of nightmare comes to murder his brother and seize the fabled Walking Stone. Nobeast is safe from the mighty Gulo, who feasts on the flesh of his enemies.

But something stands between Gulo and what he seeks: the ancient Abbey of redwall. Who will come to the aid of Abbot Humble and his peaceful woodlanders? The mercenary warrior from the borders, Rakkety Tam MacBurl, that's who! With his mate Wild Doogy Plumm, the brave squirrel sets forth on a quest to rescue two kidnapped Redwall maidens, and joins forces with one hundred perilous hares from the Long Patrol. Together they face a battle that ranges far over the plains, streams and woodlands of Mossflower in this epic tale of war, courage and comradeship.

Hark to the battlecries: Redwaaaaaaall! Eulaliiiiaaaa! Haway the Braaaaaaw!

Expect to see Rakkety Tam on shelves in September, 2004."

Hm. Wonder if the Walking Stone has anything to do with Martha in Loamhedge? Wasn't the wheelchair's wheel stone?

Grath
May 4th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Oh I like that cover. Makes me want to read it even more. Even though I do have to wait a year to get the softback. I ruin hardcovers too easily. Gulo looks really evil too.

Senav
May 4th, 2004, 07:43 PM
That makes me happy. Is he wearing plaid? *snicker*
If I have one complaint, it's that the sword looks rather...huge compared to Rakkety. Wait, Abbot Humble? That's a funny name.

NoRacoonsInRedwall
May 4th, 2004, 09:44 PM
Apparently, this newest Redwall book will be the farthest in its future. I want to see the American cover, though. Or is that the American cover? What's the English cover? I'm going to buy it on Hardback anyway. They last longer. I just can't drink Cream Soda at the same time. I'll laugh and get it everywhere. Hahaha! AAAAHHH!!! MY PANTS!! THAT'S COLD!

Lyrian Aryns
May 4th, 2004, 10:57 PM
Judging by the font, I'd say it was the American cover, though I could be wrong.

Yeesh, so his name really is Rakkety? Ew... They'd better call him Tam most of the time, or I may go insane. :P

Slagar the Cruel
May 5th, 2004, 12:14 AM
I really like the cover. Gulo (or whatever vermin that is) looks genuinely menacing, even frightening, in the shadowy foreground, and Rakkety himself looks to be in classic Redwall style. Actually, the whole cover seems to remind me of older covers for some reason... perhaps it's because the area being portrayed is the outskirts of Redwall, instead of another slightly less familiar locale. Hmm, perhaps if it had a single-colored border running around it...

The description also sounds good. Gulo sounds like the toughest Redwall adversary since Ungatt Trunn, maybe since even farther back. The Long Patrol involvement sounds interesting, and much better than some of the cameo-esque appearances of hundreds upon hundreds of nameless, faceless, indistinguishable hares that the LP seems to have been limited to in many of the recent books (usually for understandable purposes, but I'm still looking forward to a smaller, more plot-oriented bunch of Long Patrol hares appearing in a story). This book's plot sounds to be gravitating away from the more "quest-based", war-lite yarns of recent history, which could prove a nice change of pace.

I'm still not sure what to make of this "mercenary squirrel" business, though. I guess I'll have to wait and see what to make of it...

LordTBT
May 5th, 2004, 12:59 AM
wow. Did Dave Lindsay beat MtW? after such a long losing streak, is Lindsay making a comeback? :D :redsy :eek:

Cheesethief
May 5th, 2004, 01:54 PM
dave has the official redwall site, so he gets news early.
great points all, i love the us cover (you can tell its that because of the writing and style) uk will be better i think though.
i got my redwall readers letter in the post (mail) today. i love getting it!
and senav, tam is wearing tartan. its what us scots wear, the colour our kilts are.(technically theres lots of types of tartan of many colours but they all have the stripes)

Chelki Sureshot
May 5th, 2004, 05:38 PM
Yes! The Long Patrol! We haven't seen them in absolute AGES! Abbot Humble? That's weird. Two kidnapped Redwall maidents. How much ya wanna bet that one's a mouse and the other's a squirrel? I don't like the cover much, Martin's sword is twice as long as Rakkety! That's an awesome name. rakkety, Rakkety, Rakkety. . .Tam.

NoRacoonsInRedwall
May 5th, 2004, 09:28 PM
I have to say, I miss the old covers with a picture of a/the main character(s) with a thin border and then a picture of a landscape. That's how a lot of the old ones were. I like 'em. I think Rakkety should look a little meaner

Nora the Rover
May 5th, 2004, 10:50 PM
I really love the cover art. Troy Howell did a spectacular job! Rakkety looks awesome in the tartan, and Gulo looks even more barbaric and evil than I thought.
This is one Redwall book that I'm actually going to go insane waiting for this summer... :D
The plot sounds very swashbuckling and action-packed. I'm sure it's going to be a good read.

LordTBT
May 6th, 2004, 12:00 AM
dave has the official redwall site, so he gets news early.

thats where youre wrong. The redwall newsline (Martins deal) breaks news before Dave most of the time now. MtW has secret connections. :cool:

Cheesethief
May 6th, 2004, 05:52 AM
MtW is in the Mob?
and anyway, im gonna wait to see the uk + canada cover before i say any more.
we get rak tam a whole month before youse!

Keyla
May 6th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Yes, the cover is cool, though I bet I'll prefer the British one. It's odd that it's surfaced before our one, which gets me a bit worried; if the UK is getting "Rakkety Tam" a month before America one would expect our cover to show up first, although I wouldn't say it nails it really.

What can I say? The summary paints this out to be even better than I thought, although for some reason the style it's written in grates me slightly. It's nice to see what looks like the Long Patrol back; even if they aren't the real Mc Coy, it will be great to have some fighting hares again. The two maidens strike me as full of potential. Of course from appearances they scream "damsels in distress" but Brian has a habit of playing with such concepts and turning them on their heads. There's plenty of oppurtunity while in captivity for some good character development.

Gulo sounds better and better with each new thing that emerges. The concepts sound quite new to Redwall. The idea of him being a theif could play out to provide some alternative motives.

The promise of an "epic" really caught my attention. While it could be taken to suggest something of the style of "Mossflower" the other details could make for something very original and different from the older books.

Of course, most predictions we'll make will be wrong and won't give anything as good as we tend to get. Still, it's nice to speculate, especially when the material looks so promising.

Cheesethief
May 6th, 2004, 02:26 PM
im slightly worried about how brian is concentrating on making his books set after the others, triss seemed to be quite a bit after taggerung, and loamhedge even later. now it appears that RT is going to be another to-infinity-and-beyond book. i long for one set in a gap between two older books, that would be great.
also, the book is out quite quickly after loamhedge. is this an indication that brian is trying to expand his series to its full potential before he is unable to write any longer? after a stroke and a heart attack its not much suprise. i hope this is not the case. Keep at it Brian!
on the other hand, my mother had a minor stroke a while ago, and it made no difference.

Keyla
May 6th, 2004, 02:46 PM
I think the reason Brian is giving almost totally new casts of characters is because characters used already tend to either have baggage to deal with from past experiences or have nothing left to give in terms of development. Now while the former of these can be utilised, such as in the case of Martin, it can also be quite limiting as it gives Brian less freedom as he must stay true to what he has said before while still using the character in the context of a working plot. The latter is even worse, however, as it means the character has nowhere to go on the most part, meaning that a character that was central in a previous book ends up on the back-burner, like Auma in "The Pearls of Lutra", unless he manages to provide some very original development as he did for Cregga in "(The) Taggerung". Carrying over is a difficult business when trying to keep the story good at the same time. It's all very good seeing our favorites again, but if it weakens the novel as a whole I'd rather have a fresh cast.

Of course, we don't know for sure that there won't be any younger creatures from "Loamhedge" over lapping into "Rakkety Tam" in their older seasons. Anyway, the cast we have at the moment looks good and also quite unified in the plot, something we've tended not to have for quite a while.

LordTBT
May 6th, 2004, 04:03 PM
I know this is slightly deterring the topic, but I thought there was loads of room for stories during Saxtus' abbotship.

Martin the Warrior
May 6th, 2004, 08:43 PM
NoRacoons
I want to see the American cover, though. Or is that the American cover?

It is the US cover.

Lyrian
Yeesh, so his name really is Rakkety? Ew... They'd better call him Tam most of the time, or I may go insane. :P

"Rakk" seems more in-line with BJ's style to me. I could be wrong.

Slagar
Actually, the whole cover seems to remind me of older covers for some reason...

Strangely enough, that was my impression as well. I was reminded of the US Lord Brocktree, Marlfox, & Martin the Warrior and the UK The Bellmaker all at once.

TBT
wow. Did Dave Lindsay beat MtW? after such a long losing streak, is Lindsay making a comeback?

It depends on how you want to look at it. ;) This is the first time Dave has put up anything about Rakkety Tam, whereas the Newsline has had information about it up since June 26th of last year. While the summary does contain a few extra plot points and names, it also basically covers the same ground as the summary from the Library of Congress I posted in March (Gulo, land of ice, walking stone, etc.)

He clarified the name situation, but as I said in the article, he was the one that originally confirmed "Rackety Tam" and "Dougie Plum" for me (and reconfirmed when the "Rackety/Rakkety" situation broke in March, albeit in the sense that if Brian and his publisher had changed it, they hadn't told him).

He got the cover first, but he also had the UK Triss cover first, so it's not that unusual.

So, as I look at things, he clarified a sticky issue with the name spelling and posted a Redwall.org exclusive summary (as he always does), but I had nearly a year on him about the book itself, so he didn't "beat" me to anything. ;)

Naturally, you can look at it a different way. ;)

Cheesethief
we get rak tam a whole month before youse!

Tentatively. I'm (personally) very skeptical about the August UK release date because you guys only just got Loamhedge a few months ago. It strikes me as fishy. However, that's what Amazon.co.uk listed, so that's what I've got to go by. I have to assume it's correct. I'd remain cautiously optimistic if I were you.

Keyla
Yes, the cover is cool, though I bet I'll prefer the British one.

I am shocked-- shocked! ;)

if the UK is getting "Rakkety Tam" a month before America one would expect our cover to show up first

Actually, since David Wyatt has taken over the UK cover chores, that's never been the case (even with the virtually simultaneous release of Triss). One could assume he takes more time on the covers than Howell does (or Howell just has it down to a science, while Wyatt is still learning Redwall). Whatever the reason, I'll be surprised if we ever see a Wyatt cover before a Howell one.

Cheesethief
also, the book is out quite quickly after loamhedge. is this an indication that brian is trying to expand his series to its full potential before he is unable to write any longer?

Actually, there's no speed-up in the writing versus release, only in the UK release. Loamhedge hit US shelves last September (as opposed to the UK's release earlier this year), putting Rakkety Tam in line with the usual yearly-schedule Redwall has maintained since early on.

LordTBT
May 6th, 2004, 09:04 PM
Naturally, you can look at it a different way

;)

Lyrian Aryns
May 6th, 2004, 09:22 PM
"Rakk" seems more in-line with BJ's style to me. I could be wrong. Yeah, that does sound right. Of course, I've always assumed his first name was Tam, with Rackety being a descriptor, so... I dunno.

But Rakk annoys me almost more than Rakkety does... for some reason, double k's really remind me of fingernails on a blackboard. Maybe I'm just weird. :P

Chelki Sureshot
May 6th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Nutty Brushtail and I have a bet on, about whether Doogy Poumm dies or not. I say he won't. Ten candied chesnuts to the winner! The review does sound awesome, yay for the Long Patrol! I admit the names are strange, but if there's a war, who cares?

MtW is in the Mob?
I'd believe it. (Only kidding, Martin)

Cheesethief
May 7th, 2004, 02:21 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Martin

Tentatively. I'm (personally) very skeptical about the August UK release date because you guys only just got Loamhedge a few months ago. It strikes me as fishy. However, that's what Amazon.co.uk listed, so that's what I've got to go by. I have to assume it's correct. I'd remain cautiously optimistic if I were you.

actually i got it (the Uk edition) a bit early- WHSmith mistakenly put it on shelves a few weeks or something before it was "released".

Keyla
May 7th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Yes, me too, but we still both got it many months after America.

Martin the Warrior
May 7th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Cheesethief
actually i got it (the Uk edition) a bit early- WHSmith mistakenly put it on shelves a few weeks or something before it was "released".

Which still puts it at "a few months ago". ;) The end of January is when WHSmith put it out, if my memory serves (which, as Keyla pointed out, was still four months after the US release). That makes the gap between the two UK releases roughly half a year, which is suspect when they've followed a twelve month release schedule since the early books.

Again, I'm not saying the release date is inaccurate; I'd just be skeptical about it.

Cheesethief
May 8th, 2004, 05:06 AM
HA! mtw is jealous cos we get Rak Tam a whole month before you!!! Or not.
anyways, id like to see the uk cover.
incidentally, martin's number of posts is 1313...

Sandstripe the Wild
May 8th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Chelki Sureshot
Two kidnapped Redwall maidents. How much ya wanna bet that one's a mouse and the other's a squirrel? [/B]

Chances are that they're both squirrels, since Brian Jacques has incorperated a love interest for any of the main characters since Taggerung he'll most likely make both maidens the love interest for Rakkety Tam amd Doogie Plum. Or maybe there be a love triangle between the Rak and Doog.

Martin the Warrior
May 8th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Cheesethief

How exactly did you reach that conclusion? ;)

Sandstripe
Chances are that they're both squirrels, since Brian Jacques has incorperated a love interest for any of the main characters since Taggerung he'll most likely make both maidens the love interest for Rakkety Tam amd Doogie Plum. Or maybe there be a love triangle between the Rak and Doog.

I'd say that's unlikely. Love triangles have never been BJ's style, nor has quarreling friends (unless it's good natured, which is something it's hard to imagine a love triangle being).

Also, Brian tends to focus on adventures over relationships. He's done a few (Matthias & Cornflower, Martin & Laterose, Gonff & Columbine, Mattimeo & Tess), but more often than not it's only alluded to, there for people to read between the lines if they so wish (as was the case between Mariel & Dandin, Songbreeze & Dannflower, etc.) So, I wouldn't say there's a "love interest" role that has to be filled in Rakkety Tam (but, then again, I could be wrong. ;)).

LordTBT
May 8th, 2004, 08:13 PM

He gets books at least a month before theyre released, in either country. How do you think he has the reviews posted? The publisher ships him a copy. Or someone else.

Cheesethief
May 9th, 2004, 07:32 AM
SEE?! i knew he was in the mafia!!!

Keyla
May 9th, 2004, 07:41 AM
I think the idea of conventional romance has been exhausted in the series, to a certain extent. While such relationships still occur in the series, eg. Fwirl and Broggle, they're not central. Some have said this is a sign of decline in the series- yes, I know, *yawn*; how often this comes up in some forums- but I would say it is rather Brian developing and varying the series. The brave-warrior-marrying-fair-maiden style of male/female relationship is overly common and going against this grain is a plus in my book. If they are "damsels in distress" I should imagine romance would be somewhat tongue in cheek and playful as Brian is so excellant at doing, a light surface over a deeper friendship.

As for a "love triangle" it would again be most likely playful, unless, of course, he decides to start in a far darker direction. Jealousy is an emotional too black to be associated with the typical Redwall hero.

Sandstripe the Wild
May 9th, 2004, 01:56 PM
True but Mercanaries aren't your conventional heros, they don't tend to be heroic and honor bound unless there's something in it for them unlike earlier heros such as Matthias or Martin.

Cheesethief
May 9th, 2004, 01:59 PM
the relationship between martin and laterose was handled exquisitely by brian. you can never quite tell what is going on. it was sad that she died, but good in the fact that this gives martin a harder side, and explains a lot read with mossflower, how martin trudged through snowdrifts fo no apparent reason, running from the memory of his lost love. in the legend of luke, hearing of his father and travelling to the nor'west coast, must have reminded him of her and noonvale, where he could never face his one-time friends (urran voh, brome) again.

Lyrian Aryns
April 17th, 2005, 03:17 AM
Yeah, that does sound right. Of course, I've always assumed his first name was Tam, with Rackety being a descriptor, so... I dunno.

But Rakk annoys me almost more than Rakkety does... for some reason, double k's really remind me of fingernails on a blackboard. Maybe I'm just weird. :PI am obnoxiously bumping this thread up to the top because just realized I was very, very, very right and felt the need to brag about it.

...that is all. :p

Lonna Bowstripe
April 17th, 2005, 11:53 AM
What is the world coming to... :rolleyes:

Sir. Chuck-A-Lot
April 20th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Rakkety Tam in my opinion was very good. Though I liked Lord Bracktree better.
:D

Ringmaster
April 22nd, 2005, 08:24 PM
I am obnoxiously bumping this thread up to the top because just realized I was very, very, very right and felt the need to brag about it.

...that is all. :p
yeah, very obnoxious if
TC
whoops I for got I'm not a mod on this board :p

Basils #1 fan
April 22nd, 2005, 09:56 PM
I would have given it a 10 from a rating of 1-10. ;)