PDA

View Full Version : best/worst Redwall books

Sunflash_the_Mace
May 6th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Which ones do you think are the best or worst?

Best:Redwall
2nd: Legend of Luke
Worst: Outcast of Redwall

I'm on Lord Brocktree right now, so it might change

LordTBT
May 6th, 2004, 03:01 PM
in general?

Mossflower is the best.
And there isn't a 'worst' Redwall story:cool:

Lord Servone
May 6th, 2004, 03:18 PM
I haven't read all the books yet (I fear that I may get ideas for my own stories...I want to keep them as seperate as possible.) But, of the ones I read....

Best: Salamandastron
Worst (Weakest/Least Favorite): The Bellmaker

Rillflag27
May 6th, 2004, 03:23 PM
You haven't read all of them? That's like BJ with childrens authors ;)

Best: The Long Patrol
2nd: Martin the Warrior
Least Favorite: Mattimeo, (dunno why though. I just don't feel interested in it.)

Sunflash_the_Mace
May 6th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Worst as in the one you like the least

Why does everybody flame Mattimeo?

It's pretty good

rowanoak
May 6th, 2004, 06:13 PM
"Mattimeo" is one of my favorite Redwall books, that and "Martin the Warrior." As for my least favorite, I don't really have one.

Grath
May 6th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Best: a tie between the Pearls of Lutra and Taggerung.

Worst: Triss. There seemed to be too many characters and they were all kinda boring except for Mokug the Hamster, he was cool.

Cheesethief
May 7th, 2004, 01:28 PM
i have a hamster called jimbob.
anyway, this is a typical sunflash topic. my favourite would have to be redwall, maybe MtW...TLP is good, and salmand. and dont knock Mattimeo and the Bellmaker, when bj was writing the latter he was producing an insight into the southern lands.
i have no least favourites, though triss's ending was a bit of an anti-climax.
i would like to see a new Map, more detailed and showing the whole coastline, with a decent scale too.

Chelki Sureshot
May 8th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Best: It's always been hard to pick one, but I think Mattimeo and The Legend of Luke were the best.

Worst: Triss It was needless. Besides the finding of Brockhall, of course. There wasn't any battles, nothing to keep you going. And Scarum was a disgrace to all of us hares.

Sandstripe the Wild
May 8th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Best Book: Between the Long Patrol and Marlfox, Mariel of Redwall was pretty good too.
Worst Book: I don't have a least favorite book but I do think some books were better then others while some were lacking in certain aspects.

LadyBeelze
May 8th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Best: Salamandastron (i've lost my copy of the book for almost a year *sniff* I want to read it again ;_; )
Worst: Legend Of Luke (urk..took me forever to read, it didn't intrest me too much)

Cheesethief
May 9th, 2004, 06:30 AM
salamandastrons ending was the best. by a mile. beelze, go and buy a new copy.

Cheek Stag Otter
May 9th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Best:The Pearls Of Lutra
2nd:The Taggerung
Worst:Lord Brocktree (very slow book)

LadyBeelze
May 9th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Oh and
2nd: Loamhedge

beelze, go and buy a new copy

Why go and waste my money when i know it's somewhere in this darn house *i think* 0.o

Cheesethief
May 9th, 2004, 12:52 PM
pearls was good. so was tagg and moss. did anyone notice the similarities between gonff and nimbalo??? related?
Mossflower was indeed an epic.

beelze, i lost my readers club redwall bookmark for months, and it turned up under my bed. look there.

Rillflag27
May 9th, 2004, 12:57 PM
That book mark was cool! I kept whipping myself...it was fun..

And yes, I noticed Nimbalo was a lot like gonff. He knew music and acted a lot like Gonff. You'd have to ask Calantorntain, she knows everything about Gonff.

Cheesethief
May 9th, 2004, 01:02 PM
ill ask cal next time she posts or something.
the bookmark kicks! i used to whip everyone with it!!!

Chelki Sureshot
May 10th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Isn't it weird how our opinions are so didfferent? Here's somene who think that Salamandastron was the best book, and I myself couldn't get into it, and someone really doesn't like Lord Brocktree, 'cause it was too slow, but I think it was fast paced.

Sunflash_the_Mace
May 10th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Lord Brocktree was pretty good

I'm reading Taggerung, but I'm having a hard time getting into it

Furrtil
May 10th, 2004, 08:33 PM
My favorite: Mossflower!!!!

My least favorite: I'm not terribly fond of Outcast of Redwall, and Triss was worst in my opinion, although I should reread them, as books seem to get better after another read. They grow on you.

Cheesethief
May 11th, 2004, 04:44 AM
salamandastron is good, sos lord brockers. taggs great. outcast of redwall is the darkest book, exploring unknown territory.

t@gg :)
May 11th, 2004, 04:28 PM
The best is the Taggerung! It rules.

The worst is mariel of redwall. It has a good story line but there was some stuff wrong with it. I mean, how can rawnblade take out an entire searat ship? and why didn't mariel kill gabol?

Sunflash_the_Mace
May 12th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by t@gg :)
The best is the Taggerung! It rules.

The worst is mariel of redwall. It has a good story line but there was some stuff wrong with it. I mean, how can rawnblade take out an entire searat ship? and why didn't mariel kill gabol?

Mariel is one of the worst.

Tagg is pretty good, once you get into it:cornflow:

Cheesethief
May 12th, 2004, 01:35 PM
mariel bad? BLASPHEMER!

Sunflash_the_Mace
May 12th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Don't mess with a Badger Lord, Cheesethief

Cheesethief
May 12th, 2004, 01:39 PM
get outta it sunshine.

Sunflash_the_Mace
May 12th, 2004, 07:46 PM
must...control....bloodwrath

Furrtil
May 12th, 2004, 08:59 PM
If you're wondering why Mariel didn't kill Gabool, you'll notice that it's a standard plot twist of Brian Jacques' to not allow the main character to be a killer. Goodbeasts are not coldblooded killers, so in the end, they usually only indirectly kill their enemy.

Examples/spoilers:

Redwall = Cluny is squashed by a bell
Mossflower = Tsarmina drowns
Mattimeo = Slagar falls in a well
Mariel of Redwall = Gabool is stung by a scorpion
Lord Brocktree = Ungatt Trunn is deathly injured, but ultimately killed by the ocean

and etc.

Cheek Stag Otter
May 13th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Mariel of Redwall was the book that made me notice that fact. Even if the good guy does kill the baddie (thinking of Salamandastron) he also has to die for it.

Salamandastron (the book) rules by the way.

Cheesethief
May 13th, 2004, 01:51 PM
PUT THAT CHAP ON A FIZZAH!
oy, spoiler. cheek.

THIS IS A SPOILER!!!

Sunflash_the_Mace
May 13th, 2004, 06:29 PM
what about Outcast?

Sunflash killed Swartt

Cheesethief
May 14th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Swartt was killed by his son veil (evil, vile,live)
:D

Sunflash_the_Mace
May 14th, 2004, 09:27 PM
funny, I don't remember that.

Martin the Warrior
May 14th, 2004, 11:05 PM
Actually, Cheesethief, Veil was killed by Swartt. Swartt himself was killed by Sunflash.

Sandstripe the Wild
May 14th, 2004, 11:06 PM
Bingo, you beat to the punch by a second.

Cheesethief
May 15th, 2004, 11:03 AM
havent read outcast for a bit, sorry.:o

Sunflash_the_Mace
May 15th, 2004, 11:39 AM
whatever

Cheesethief
May 15th, 2004, 11:40 AM
one word answers are against rules i think.:p

Sunflash_the_Mace
May 15th, 2004, 11:43 AM
How are we always on at the same time?

Cheesethief
May 15th, 2004, 11:45 AM
magic:lol: :lol: :lol:
a good book is martin the warrior, just to keep on the topic.

MoonShadow
May 15th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Hm... I'd have to say that Taggerung stands out as my favorite, and Redwall is at the bottom... I don't know what happened, but I loved Redwall SO much before I read the rest of the books in the series. Eh, maybe I just liked the styles of the other books better.

Sunflash_the_Mace
May 15th, 2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by MoonShadow
Hm... I'd have to say that Taggerung stands out as my favorite, and Redwall is at the bottom... I don't know what happened, but I loved Redwall SO much before I read the rest of the books in the series. Eh, maybe I just liked the styles of the other books better.

you hated Redwall?!

THAT'S IT!!!

I FEEL THE BLOODWRATH!!

RRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Cheesethief
May 16th, 2004, 05:04 AM
without redwall redwall wouldnt be the same, it would just be redwall, if you know what i mean. i love redwall, it could be my favourite in all the redwall series. redwall is great. the only problem is it mentions town dogs, a herd of cows, and a sort of mine up north, yet good creatures should not labour for others.

Cheek Stag Otter
May 16th, 2004, 01:13 PM
I have to agreee with the points about "Redwall". Since it was the first Redwall book I read (I read them in order) I really liked it. But as I've read them all now it would probably be one neary the bottom (although I can think of four books I'd rate lower than it).

Cheesethief
May 17th, 2004, 09:34 AM
redwall is essentially the founding stone for all the series.
i started with tlol

Cinnabarr Rivershell
May 17th, 2004, 11:03 PM
Mossflower was the best and
Mattimeo was one of the most boring books I've ever read.

Cheesethief
May 18th, 2004, 06:12 AM
mattimeo wasnt champion but it wasnt poor either.

Element_man
May 18th, 2004, 05:00 PM
I despised the Long Patrol.

I throughly enjoyed Mossflower, The Bellmaker, (Where the hell is Castle Floret now?!) And Marlfox.

rowanoak
May 19th, 2004, 12:30 PM
I found "Mattimeo" one of the most interesting of the Redwall books. Mattimeo's development as a character and what Matthias and the rest of the parents did, facing all those dangers on the trail, to get their kids back made the story compelling for me.

Cheesethief
May 19th, 2004, 01:58 PM
the long patrol was great.

Sandstripe the Wild
May 20th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Long Patrol and Marlfox are definitly the best of the Redwall books, of course this is only my opinion.

Cheesethief
May 21st, 2004, 07:20 AM
your great and correct opinion.:D
loamhedge was alright. i liked the mouse who had the food.

Sunflash_the_Mace
May 21st, 2004, 01:48 PM
i finished them all now

loamhedge=waaayyyy too corny

Kediassa
May 21st, 2004, 02:07 PM
Favorite: Salamandastron

Second Favorite: Redwall (I cried in that book, as well as Salamandastron, so it's got to be one of the best books).

Lease Favorite: Mossflower

Cinnabarr Rivershell
May 21st, 2004, 05:13 PM
Lease Favorite: Mossflower

How can you have not liked Mossflower!
It was the best book that BJ has ever written!

Sunflash_the_Mace
May 21st, 2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Cinnabarr Rivershell
How can you have not liked Mossflower!
It was the best book that BJ has ever written!

Gonff is cool! :redsy

Kediassa
May 22nd, 2004, 08:41 AM
I love all BJ's books. It's hard to choose; so It's either Mossflower or Mattimeo, and I enjoyed Mattimeo.

Cheesethief
May 23rd, 2004, 09:33 AM
lord brocktree was the last of the books i think of as "classics". mossflower is the most epic. salamandastron is the saddest at the end. redwall was great.

Keyla
May 31st, 2004, 02:24 PM
My favourite is always a toss up between "Martin the Warrior" and "(The) Taggerung".

MtW moved me the most out of all the books and the story had a kind of elegance to it so that there was never really a missable page or a bit that felt like "filler". The mix of comedy and drama was perfect for my tastes, too.

TT is by far the most orignal book in the serious, beyond the originality of the whole concept of the series itself, and takes a very interesting route. The vermin were the most engaging in the series, in my opinion, and while Brian never pretends Antigra or Sawney were ever in any way "goodbeasts", their motives tend not to be purely your standard "greedly warlord followed by greedy army" package. The characters are developed with a real subtlety that goes beyond Brian's normal skill. While some complain that where they expected to be a big scene of some sort they were disappointed, their disatisfaction seems to me to often come down to how they've come to expect the books to written and when Brian goes via a different path they're too busy worrying about it not being done their way that they don't enjoy what they get.
I'm not usually a big fan of battle scenes in the Redwall books, but here they were far more striking and vivid for me in their dynamic simplicity.

My least favourite? Probably "Mattimeo". While it has grown on me over the years I still don't love it. I know it's good but there are parts of it that feel like a leaden balloon when I read them, parts that should be filled with suspence, yet I know what's coming. Of course, there are some elements I get into, such as Slagar, but it feels like a rather uneven experience for me.

Felldoh
May 31st, 2004, 02:53 PM
I have yet to read all of the books (I'm reading them in published order and I'm halfway through The Long Patrol), but of the ones I have read my favorite and least favorite are:

Favorite - Martin the Warrior

Least Favorite - The Pearls of Lutra

I liked Martin the Warrior because, like Keyla said, it had a very good mix of comedy and drama. And as you can probably guess, Felldoh's death struck a serous emotional chord with me, and it somehow made him my favorite Redwall character.

I didn't like The Pearls of Lutra because it just seemed to be so slow paced, figuring out a riddle isn't exactly the most exciting thing for me, but that's not to say I hate The Pearls of Lutra by any means, though it didn't really catch my interest until around Romsca's death.

Cheesethief
May 31st, 2004, 04:19 PM
pearls used to be a great favourite. at a talk by brian i sat next to a young boy clutching his copy. he told me that he was only halfway through and i recommended it. now mtw is a great one, redwall too.
oh, and hi to felldoh.

Felldoh
May 31st, 2004, 08:38 PM
Hello Cheesetheif. I feel kinda nervous being the new flesh and all, but I'll get used to it eventually.

Now that I think of it though, maybe The Pearls of Lutra isn't my least favorite, it may be Mattimeo, I dunno... it's hard to chose a least favorite book out of a series I have enjoyed alot so far.

Cheesethief
June 1st, 2004, 04:21 AM
when you read triss, maybe you may change your ways.
i like your sig...ive got that game. cant wait for #4: the room...
oh and dont worry about being new. ive only been on a month and a half.

Felldoh
June 2nd, 2004, 04:35 PM
Wow, and over 400 posts. Wow.

I hope Triss dosen't suck that much.. but even if it does I can thankfully still go back and read the classics again, like I plan on doing when my friend Bin Bin finishes with my copy of Martin the Warrior.

As for my sig, thank you! That is one of my favorite quotes from the whole series, I loved that scene. I too can't wait for The Room, but I hope it dosen't focus too much on fighting like it is rumored to, or it may lose the great atmosphere the first three Silent Hill games had.

Rillflag27
June 2nd, 2004, 05:42 PM
Over 400 posts in a month in a half is most likely spam. ;) I remember a certain little spammer named Rillflag who made 100 posts in 2 days.

Yeah, like your name Felldoh, I woulda picked that next. I'm gonna call you Fell now ;) Welcome to the forums

Felldoh
June 2nd, 2004, 10:08 PM
Thanks Rillflag! Sure, call me Fell, I'll call you Rillflag instead of Rillflag27. :D

Cheesethief
June 3rd, 2004, 04:35 AM
if i wasnt cheesethief id be something like...finnbarr.
dont ask why rillflag is called rillflag27. ill call you fell though felldoh, even if fell means "evil" in european lore.
and i dont spam. i like to think of myself as *sniff* an upstanding member of the online community.;)

Rillflag27
June 3rd, 2004, 03:57 PM
Or, as Darky calls me, Rilf. ;) That's short'n'sour er I mean sweet. :D

Cheesethief
June 4th, 2004, 06:22 AM
rilf...sounds like, rile. as in irritating, or turbulent. living the life of riley means you are carefree.

Rillflag27
June 4th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Me? Care-free? I don't think so, I have to check every 30 seconds over my shoulder for the cops...er...you didn't hear anything ;)

Cheesethief
June 4th, 2004, 11:36 AM
*sirrens wailing distantly* er, no. *tries to justify post with random book comment* yeah, er, well, outcast of redwall, was described as epic by a newspaper here. actually it probably is only second to mossflower in epicness.
though i thought skarlaths death wasnt empathised enough.

Felldoh
June 4th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Yeah, I agree. For being such a major character I'd expect it to be more of a big deal.

Cheesethief
June 4th, 2004, 03:47 PM
i was actually disappointed. since i knew it would happen, maybe there should have been a big thing over it.

Sunflash_the_Mace
June 7th, 2004, 10:45 PM
yeah, could have used a little bit more

Keyla
June 8th, 2004, 03:40 AM
Well, the lament in the epilogue brought it home for me. If Brian had spent to much time on it when it occured in the plot the momentum would have been lost. By coming back to it at the end it became more central to the conclusion and avoided being swept under the carpet in the positive conclusion.

Cheesethief
June 8th, 2004, 11:13 AM
fair enough.
im glad your back sunflash. began to think you were a one-hit wonder. great t see y back!

Blurtail
June 10th, 2004, 02:25 PM
I don't know about yall, but I really enjoyed Loamhedge. And I still say the the Outcast of Redwall is the worst book.

Slagar the Cruel
June 10th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Could've sworn I already posted this, but here's my Top 16 list of Redwall books.

1. Mattimeo
2. Taggerung
3. Mossflower
4. Pearls of Lutra
5. The Long Patrol
6. Outcast of Redwall
7. Salamandastron
8. Redwall
9. Mariel of Redwall
10. Legend of Luke
11. Loamhedge
12. Marlfox
13. Triss
14. The Bellmaker
15. Lord Brocktree
16. Martin the Warrior

Cheesethief
June 11th, 2004, 12:25 PM
yeh slags, you did, in the wrong topic though. geez.:rolleyes:

Felldoh
June 12th, 2004, 09:23 AM
I just finished the Long Patrol last night... and it ties Martin the Warrior for my favorite Redwall book. I loved it.

Sunflash_the_Mace
June 12th, 2004, 11:02 PM
good books

Sister Cottontail
June 12th, 2004, 11:15 PM
I think that the best book is Redwall.
The worst one I think is Marlfox.

Cheesethief
June 13th, 2004, 10:51 AM
marlfox is ok, the worst is probably...y know, i forgot.
i still wonder why slags hates mtw. it was good!

Norwick Down
June 14th, 2004, 06:11 PM
the best is obviosely outcast and the worst is bellmaker
it is true
do not deny it

Element_man
June 14th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Norwick Down
the best is obviosely outcast and the worst is bellmaker
it is true
do not deny it
You have been denied.

Cheesethief
June 15th, 2004, 10:04 AM
it is wrong
deny it
now
yes, you

Felldoh
June 15th, 2004, 04:45 PM
I deny it too! Outcast is great, but not the best, and I liked The Bellmaker over Outcast... so HA!

Sandstripe the Wild
June 15th, 2004, 08:19 PM
As above.

Cheesethief
June 16th, 2004, 02:37 PM
what er, they said.:rolleyes:

Delhome
June 16th, 2004, 02:40 PM
THe Outcast of Redwall is the worst Bloody book in the series

Cheesethief
June 16th, 2004, 02:47 PM
quick, press edit and delete that word before it is reported! quick!

Element_man
June 16th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Are we not allowed to say "Bloody?"

(If we aren't, let me know and I'll edit this post... >.>)

Anywho, I probably enjoyed The long patrol the least.

Top 3 books:

Marlfox,
Mossflower,
Bellmaker/Pearls of Lutra.

Bottom 3 books:

Martin the Warrior,
Lord Brocktree,
Long Patrol.

Cheesethief
June 17th, 2004, 11:05 AM
martin was good! kind of...
and i dont think you can say the word...

Obscene or vulgar language and questionable or adult-oriented comments and/or statements are not permitted; such comments are subject to removal and termination of user access. Debates are allowed on particular forums, as long as the tone is objective and non-confrontational. Questionable subject matter such as that supporting the use of drugs or those contrary to family values, are not permitted. The Long Patrol Club reserves the right to determine appropriate and inappropriate content. Users who disagree with this policy should not utilize the site.
maybe though...

Rakkety Tam MacBurl
June 17th, 2004, 08:49 PM
hmm...

First: The Long Patrol-Pearls of Lutra
2nd: tied-Marlfox-Taggerung-Loamhedge
last: None...But if i had to pick it would be Redwall (i dont know why i just did'nt like the book):confused:

Cheesethief
June 19th, 2004, 02:56 PM
hi rakkety. looks like youre another redwall-hater (the book) and misuser of commas.:D

Felldoh
June 21st, 2004, 02:21 PM
The first Redwall book is one of my favorites... but whatever.

1. Martin the Warrior
2. The Long Patrol
3. Mossflower
4. Redwall
5. Salamandastron
6. The Bellmaker
7. Outcast of Redwall
8. Mariel of Redwall
9. Mattimeo
10. The Pearls of Lutra

I'll do another when I finish reading all the books.

Element_man
June 21st, 2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Cheesethief
hi rakkety. looks like youre another redwall-hater (the book) and misuser of commas.:D Misuser of PERIODS, cheesethief. ;) He had no commas in his post.

Cheesethief
June 22nd, 2004, 03:21 AM
apostrophes actually.:p

Element_man
June 22nd, 2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Cheesethief
apostrophes actually.:p It may have been a typo, too.

:eek:

Keyla
June 22nd, 2004, 12:16 PM
Well, seeing as we seem to be giving our rankings for the series here's my rough one:

"Martin the Warrior" and "(The) Taggerung" tied;
"The Pearls of Lutra";
"The Long Patrol";
"Loamhedge";
"Salamandastron";
"The Legend of Luke";
"Marlfox";
"Mariel of Redwall";
"Outcast of Redwall";
"Triss";
"The Bellmaker";
"Mossflower";