PDA

View Full Version : TAC - Brief Review

LordTBT
May 8th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Aite, TBT got the book a few days ago, and he finished it.

You should definitely pick this up if you enjoy BJ's style of writing, and/or piratey adventures, because thats what the book mainly consists of.

Unfortunately, I havent read Castaways, so I can't say how it stacks up as a sequel. I did however see the hardback for $7 at Halfprice yesterday, so I might have to go pick it up.

I don't know if this was in BJ's future sight at all when he was writing this new series, because its very evident this is going to be a series here(a good one at that), but the storyline seems very easily adaptable to the big screen. This could easily become a movie.

Some of the storyline in this book reminded me of a childhood book I read called 'The Whipping Boy', maybe if others have read it they can comment, but it just did.

At any rate, this is an excellent adventure story, with much more to follow I'm sure.

:redsy

Martin the Warrior
May 8th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Starting with the sequel? That has to provide an interesting perspective. You should definitely pick up Castaways of the Flying Dutchman, though. Excellent book, one I enjoyed even more than The Angel's Command (which, incidentally, is chronologically set in the middle of Castaways). The actual backstory for Ben and Ned is one of the best things BJ has written to-date.

As to whether it's a series or not-- Brian's trying not to get penned in like he did with Redwall, so he's not going to crank these out in that fashion. He only had the first two planned.... but I doubt we've seen the last of Ben & Ned. For some reason, a five volume series strike me as appropriate. But, you're right, these books do seem ideally suited for movies (the first moreso than the second, because I can't quite see them pulling off Adamo as a bear convincingly).

Nice to see some activity in here. Brian's non-Redwall work always seems to get overlooked. ;)

LordTBT
May 8th, 2004, 07:11 PM
series/ 5 volume set same thing. Thats what I figured it would be myself, definitely not a 20 book set :p

Cheesethief
May 9th, 2004, 06:35 AM
it definetly has scope for a film...
five seems enough.

Keyla
May 16th, 2004, 09:53 AM
The problem I had when reading "Castaways" was that after the first section Brian was trying to tone it down a bit to fit his Redwall audience, giving a nice little riddle and a few smart kids and some friendly adults to solve it.

On the whole, I felt "The Angels Command" got a better consistancy where Brian did write in a way designed somewhat to please Redwall fans yet making it far newer and fresher than "The Village" in "Castaways". It also seemed to tie together a bit better.

Cheesethief
May 17th, 2004, 09:43 AM
correctus--------------------------------->:rolleyes: as usual