PDA

View Full Version : Is Grog Alcohol?

Cinnabarr Rivershell
May 17th, 2004, 09:21 PM
I have always been under the impression that Redwall drinks have never been alcoholic. Infact I think BJ himself stated this in an Ask Brian on redwall.org.

But what I find intresting though, is that in Loamhedge on pg. 243 U.S. hardcover or chapter 25, grog is described as a fiery liquor. Further down the page the stoats, Flinky and Crinktail apear to be acting stangely after they have consumed some grog. Then on the very next page, 244, Flinky is described as "blinking drunkenly." And yet again further down page 244 Flinky is described as "drunk."

I am extreamely puzzeled. Does anyone have an idea?

Element_man
May 17th, 2004, 09:25 PM
I'm guessing that the grog is, but not the October Ale.

LordTBT
May 17th, 2004, 09:26 PM
yes it is alcohol.

Cheesethief
May 18th, 2004, 06:10 AM
aerats are bad so they booze.

Keyla
May 18th, 2004, 10:22 AM
I seem to remember that Brian was talking about the drinks in the abbey, such as October Ale, and not vermin drinks.

Element_man
May 18th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Keyla
I seem to remember that Brian was talking about the drinks in the abbey, such as October Ale, and not vermin drinks. I'm inclined to agree. You always here the creature of Redwall asking for the ale, and they never get drunk.

Senav
May 18th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Mmmm. Non-alcoholic beer...

Yes, I know that the drinks in the Abbey aren't technically "beer".
But any beer drinker would probably tell you that the searats have more fun:p

Slagar the Cruel
May 18th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Yes, grog is definately alchoholic. It's a real drink, you know - basically just diluted rum.

If the Abbey drinks are non-alchoholic, what was up with Basil and Ambrose's singing in Mattimeo?

Cinnabarr Rivershell
May 18th, 2004, 08:05 PM
Thanks for clearing that up for me

Cheesethief
May 19th, 2004, 02:06 PM
this alcohol thing is to discourage the heavy drinking culture especially in the uk. bad rats get drunk, good woodlanders dont.
i would say, slagar, that excessive consumption of any drink leads to light headedness, especially when its fizzy.

Jandura
May 19th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Senav
But any beer drinker would probably tell you that the searats have more fun:p

Thats a duh:p

And Slagar, most anything you drink can make you, well, drunk.
it all depends on the amount.

Senav
May 19th, 2004, 07:38 PM
You can get hallucinations from drinking too much water. I'm guessing it's not just enough to make you gotta go real bad, but a LOT of water. It creates some kind of chemical imbalance, and you hallucinate.
So yeah, just about anything can get you drunk:p

Slagar the Cruel
May 19th, 2004, 09:53 PM
Gee, thanks for clearing that up for me. Like, three times. :p

Despite Basil and Ambrose's rather voracious attitude towards drinks, I doubt they would drink themselves to the point of chemical imbalance. The implication was definately that the two were intoxicated.

Cinnabarr Rivershell
May 19th, 2004, 11:32 PM
Slagar I love your Captain List!:lol:

Slagar the Cruel
May 23rd, 2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Cinnabarr Rivershell
Slagar I love your Captain List!:lol:
Thanks! :slagar Unfortunately, the websites themselves seem to be down for the time being... o noooooeeees!1

Cheesethief
May 24th, 2004, 12:28 PM
mine:

Underpants
clogg
nemo
cook
scarlet!