PDA

View Full Version : Introducing... The Bookshelf!

Rimrose
October 20th, 2002, 05:17 PM
What is your favorite Redwall book? Why? :)

Treerose
October 21st, 2002, 12:19 PM
I can't choose!!! :eek They're all so great! Marlfox, TLP, PoL, Mossflower, MoR, etc... I'd end up naming them all.

Tree

~~~~

Artist of the day: Fritz Kreisler was an extraordinary violinist, revered for his incredible musicality. He hated to practice, and did it as seldom as possible (there's credible stories of his tyrannical wife locking him in a room with his violin and refusing to let him out until he'd practiced), not even loosening his bow hair from one concert to the next. His friends said three things invariably happened at a Kreisler concert: he'd play out of tune, he'd have a memory lapse (during which he'd just improvise), and he'd play so gorgeously, you'd forget anything else that happened. Kreisler was one of the old style musicians, where musicality came before all else, and often lamented the fact that in his later years people were more concerned with getting the notes, rather than getting what the notes were saying.

Goozy
October 21st, 2002, 03:07 PM
I'd have to say my favorite novel as of now would have to be Pearls of Lutra or Salamandastron.

Pearls of Lutra brought forth one of my favorite characters, Grath Longfletch. The monitor lizards were fun characters and I liked Ublaz. I doubt BJ will ever show the monitor lizards again or have a pine martin in such a prominent position again.

I really found Ferhago to be very... twisted, in his own sort of way and I just love assassin type characters. Salamandastron also showed more of the badgers, I thought, than previously shown too. :)

Martin the Warrior
October 21st, 2002, 03:59 PM
The last time I ranked them, TLoL topped the list. I honestly need to reevaluate my list, though, as my fondness for the early books has been steadily growing in recent months.

Slagar the Cruel
October 21st, 2002, 05:01 PM
My favorite book would be either the Long Patrol or Mattimeo. The Long Patrol just has a very unique air to it. All of the characters were great. It was nice seeing characters from the Pearls of Lutra come back, too. I just can't find anything I don't like about it! Mattimeo has, in my opinion, the greatest villain of all Redwall books (hence my "name"). I find Slagar the Cruel to be a very unique sort of fiend, mostly because of his mysterious hate for Redwall and it's inhabitants, and the fact that he is actually Chickenhound. It was also neat to see what happened to the original "Redwall" cast. Mattimeo had quite a couple downfalls (surprisingly, Mattimeo had very little focus on the actual Mattimeo, and in the end Mattimeo was next to useless), but it had a lot of good points too. ^o_o^

...In any case, I forgot 2 other good points of Mattimeo. 1) The Painted Ones appear for the first time ever! In their first appearance they seem much more mysterious, and it's fun to guess just what the hey they are. At first I thought they were evil bats. I know this wouldn't be the first appearance of the Painted Ones for many. But in their other appearances, there is less time to wonder, "hey, just who or what the heck ARE those fellows?" 2) The second, and last, appearance of the Sparrows. Poor little guys died off after that, I suppose. You think they would face a better fate than extinction after risking (and losing) their lives to give information to Matthias' band for the sake of Redwall.Those are my comments from the EZboard. (The first one's from my first post ever.)

I don't think the Long Patrol's a contender for my favorite any more, though... not even second. Damug's too flat. I'd say my second favorite would be either Tagg or Pearls of Lutra. The Taggerung is very unique. It was a fresh breath of air for the series, and totally destroyed the whole "formula" complaint. (And there was much rejoicing.) Pearls of Lutra is also very unique. There's a lot of adventure there... a lot of good characters, too. Clecky and Gerul are amongst my favorites.

#4 would be Triss. Very nicely written, with a lot of great elements - ESPECIALLY the serpent siblings. That put the Long Patrol in fifth place. Spot #6? Er... it's between Mossflower and Mariel of Redwall. #8 would go to Salamandastron, and... well, I think that's enough for one post. ;)

Martin the Warrior
October 21st, 2002, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Slagar the Cruel
The Taggerung is very unique. It was a fresh breath of air for the series, and totally destroyed the whole "formula" complaint. (And there was much rejoicing.)

One more reminder that opinion is subjective. ;) I, personally, thought a little bit of "the mold" (which is really a rather silly critique when you think about it) crept into Tagg and Nimbalo's journey, as well as the Abbey thread. Plenty in there to keep it fresh and exciting, however.

Although, I'd have to say Triss was better. :D

Slagar the Cruel
October 22nd, 2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Martin the Warrior
One more reminder that opinion is subjective. ;) I, personally, thought a little bit of "the mold" (which is really a rather silly critique when you think about it) crept into Tagg and Nimbalo's journey, as well as the Abbey thread. Plenty in there to keep it fresh and exciting, however.

Although, I'd have to say Triss was better. :D
I don't place much stock in "the mold" (sounds like a "Blob" rip-off... "Oh no! I thought leaving that moist bread around for a month would only produce mildew, but it created... THE MOLD!") theory either. Come on, if you look hard enough, you could apply the mold to nearly ANYthing. ;) Really, only a minority of the books truly fit "the mold". The rest... is over-examination, IMHO.

Martin the Warrior
October 22nd, 2002, 05:18 PM
Come on, if you look hard enough, you could apply the mold to nearly ANYthing.

Exactly. It's far better to judge the book on its own merits.

Pawflash
November 1st, 2002, 03:34 PM
*after clicking the New Topic Button, Pawflash quickly hits the back button and clicks Reply*

Marlfox is the best! I love the conflict within the villains as well as Mokkan's trickery. Not to mention almost all the main characters were squirrels and Cregga was in the book...you can't go wrong there.

Lord Servone
November 1st, 2002, 03:57 PM
I still say that Salamandastron is my favorite of the books I've read. I liked all the characters and found it quite exciting the entire way through....that's the best reasoning I can give right now, due to the fact that I have a splitting headache at the moment I write this...

Lyrian Aryns
November 1st, 2002, 06:20 PM
I've actually thought about this since I last posted with something along the lines of "I can't decide!"... Although this is sure to change, right now, my favrites are Triss, Mattimeo, The Long Patrol, and Salamandastron.
Why? Because I think so. ;)

Airemia
November 1st, 2002, 06:39 PM
It's so hard to pick just one! I love all of them. Let's see... I guess I'd have to say either Mossflower, Mattimeo, Marlfox, The Long Patrol, Lord Brocktree, or Mariel of Redwall (even though I HATE that badger lord in it!!).

Pawflash
November 1st, 2002, 08:07 PM
yeah....I always found Rawnblade to be rather flat...

Airemia
November 2nd, 2002, 11:22 AM
He wasn't just flat, I HATED HIM!!! AHHHHH!!!!!! I seriously cannot STAND him! Whenever I read about him, or see his name, or even THINK about him, I just want to... to... DESTROY HIM WITH MY FRYING PAN OF TOTAL DEVASTATION!!! *calms down* Sorry. :D

The Red Badger
November 2nd, 2002, 03:30 PM
I've never had a problem with Rawnblade. Seemed your standard Badger Lord to me. 'bout the same as Urthstripe or Urthwyte.

Slagar the Cruel
November 2nd, 2002, 03:44 PM
Rawnblade was... cheap. "Searats killed two hares a while ago... SO I'LL KILL AN ENTIRE CREW OF 'EM BY MYSELF, THEN SAIL THEIR SHIP ALONE! TO TERRAMORT!" "What's your problem?" "THAT IS FOR ONLY ME TO KNOW!"

The Red Badger
November 2nd, 2002, 03:48 PM
Time to pose the time-honored question, then, Slags.

"Searats killed two hares a while ago... SO I'LL KILL AN ENTIRE CREW OF 'EM BY MYSELF

How many hares would have to die? Three? Ten? Twenty? Fifty? How long before it matters? How many have to die before it's wrong?

Give him props for caring about every single hare under his command and being devastated by the death of a mere two. :cool:

Slagar the Cruel
November 2nd, 2002, 03:53 PM
The quanity of hares killed is irellevant... taking on a searat crew single-handed is a bit cheap. And sailing to Terramort (which Rawnblade had never visited before, I believe) by himself afterwards is even cheaper. :p

Lyrian Aryns
November 2nd, 2002, 04:10 PM
He wasn't by himself, though. I don't remember exactly how, but he fishes Mariel and Tarquin out of the sea. And Mariel was going to Terramort in the first place, and they had that little swallow-compass as a guide...

Airemia
November 2nd, 2002, 05:07 PM
I don't know, it always seemed to me that he needed to mind his own business. I know he had his reasons for going to Terramort and everything, but he just seemed so out of place! I'd be trying to read about Mariel or Dandin or whoever, and he'd keep coming back! Yeah, so maybe he cared A LOT about these two hare blokes who got killed like twenty years ago or whatever, but it seemed like he was trying to take the story away from the main characters, you know? Argh! :mad: :p

The Red Badger
November 2nd, 2002, 05:22 PM
What can I say? That's a very. . . skewed take on the book and Rawnblade's involvement.

And if taking on a searat crew single-handedly is cheap, then we'd have to lump Sunflash, Boar, and a few more Badger Lords in the "cheap" category. I seem to recall Stonepaw fighting them single handedly, too.

Now, I'm not some big Rawnblade lover, I just don't hate him and I'd like to see some good reasoning behind the opinions of those that do. :redsy

Airemia
November 2nd, 2002, 05:30 PM
I don't really have a great reason for hating him. I just do. I can't help it. I didn't choose to hate him, it just sort of happened. He's just my very very least favourite character, and I didn't like the way he acted, or his personality. That's it. :)

Martin the Warrior
November 2nd, 2002, 08:30 PM
Worse than Dwopple? I didn't think I'd see the day... ;)

Cale Yin
November 2nd, 2002, 09:31 PM
I just realized it's been quite a while since I've read any Redwall. :(

I liked Pearls of Lutra, Mossflower, Martin the Warrior, Legend of Luke, and... well, prolly some more would make my tops but I can't think of them. :P

Badrang
November 10th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Lesse now...

I'd rank MTW first, seeing as how I'm in it and all, and then...

2.Salamandastron
3.The Pearls of Lutra
4.Triss
5.The Legend Of Luke (Book 2, mostly)

Why?

Salamandastron - For some obscure reason, I ABSO-BLOOMIN'-FLIPPIN'-FLAMIN'-JOLLY-BALLY-LUTELY LOVE
Mara, Pikkle, Samkim, Arula, Ferahgo, and Klitch.

Pearls - I was quite fond of Ublaz, Romsca, Conva, & Barranca, and feltterribly sorry for them when they died, especially Barranca. Poor guy, he didn't even get the credit for starting the corsairs' rebellion! :( That and also the fact that he's...erm...
My great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great,great grandson. I think.

Triss - Great plot, great characters, an' a kyoot likkle hamsta! Need I say more?

"LOL" - Although Books 1 & 3 were quite obnoxious [sp?] and I HATE TRIMP!!! Book 2 was great. The plot was an awful lot like MTW, and there are a couple scenes that really reflect this, it was still great. Besides, my dad was the main villain.

VanessaNB
November 10th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Vilu Daskar is Badrang's dad? Since when? Seriusly, I'm confused.

As to Rawnblade, all the other Badger Lords actually had personality. Sunflash was a sucker for kiddies, Urthwyte kinda was a kiddie (he acted like one), Urthstripe and Mara, and Stonepaw was close to his hares, I could go on.
Rawnblade more or less lives, breathes, and thinks: Must-Kill-Searats. It's pretty zombie-ish. The rats who were killed by Rawnblade may have been assiciated with Gabool, but they weren't the ones who killed his precious two hares.

Badrang
November 10th, 2002, 08:36 PM
Vanessa:

Vilu Daskar is Badrang's dad?

Yes. Badrang Daskar at y'saervice, wot wot!

(Sorry. I couldn't resist.)

LadyBeelze
November 11th, 2002, 08:15 AM
i think that Salamandastron is one of my favorites but then again i like all of the other books. Its just so hard to choose :confused: i just liked that book in paticular *goes of to read it again*

MoonShadow
November 11th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Hm...

1. Lord Brocktree
2. Taggerung

Those are definite. Now Triss didn't really appeal to me much... maybe because I was reading it for a book report.... But it was still good.

Mariel StormRider
February 15th, 2004, 12:55 AM
I didn't like Rawnblade to much either. At first, I had no idea why, but then it hit me. HE IS SO INCREDIABLLY CONTROLING!!!Basically, he just marched up to the Trag army, which Joseph had taken so much care to lead and hold together, and TOOK TOTAL CONTROL OF IT. He had no right to do that. I wasn't bothered when Brocktree took control of retaking Salamandastron because it WAS his fight and HE was the one who would rule the mountain and HE was the one who had a father to avenge. With Rawnblade, it really wasn't his fight. All those slaves had somthing personal against Gabool that they wanted to settle, while Rawnblade was just mad over three hares. I didn't get that either. If it was a battle, there most likely would be causalties on BOTH sides. Why get so worked up over THREE hares??? Not all badger lords instantly assume control when faced with a situation, for instance, I admired Russono for kneeling respectfully to Mhera and kissing her paw to show his respect for her athourity at Redwall. Rawnblade just marched up to Trag and took charge without asking.

Another thing- I did not think Rawnblade should have gotten the honnor of being the closest to killing Gabool. It should have gone to Mariel.

And Mariel should not be flattered that a "great warrior" like Rawnblade was asking her advice. She will always, in my opinion, remain TEN TIMES the warrior Rawnblade will be!!!

Keyla
February 16th, 2004, 04:59 AM
While I do agree that Rawnblade was, at times, controlling and rather singleminded in his pursuit of revenge I prefer this imperfection to having utterly noble badgerlords all the time. Of course he is not the first, or the last, badgerlord, or lady, to be like this.
I was a little disappointed that Mariel did not get to kill Gabool as, by that point, I was thoroughly rapped up in her quest for revenge, but I think it is a far better ending if the unexpected happens.

Vilu Daskar is Badrang's dad? Since when? Seriusly, I'm confused.
I am equally, though I suspect Badrang was joking, either that or he has a very hard working imagination.

My favorites?
Hmmm... Well my top three has, for a long time, been:

1) Martin the Warrior;
2) (The) Taggerung;
3) The Long Patrol.

But now "The Pearls of Lutra" is really growing in my favor and I've only read "Loamhedge" once, so I'm finding it hard to place it, although it will definately end up high.