PDA

View Full Version : Braces, and some other stuff

VanessaNB
November 21st, 2002, 04:06 PM
Yes, Vanessa has gone to get her braces adjusted, and now (oh joy oh bliss) I've got bands. It goes in a little triangle shape between two top teeth and down to a bottom tooth. I can't wear it while eating or playing sports. Fortunately they don't put much pressure on my jaws.
And my sister has braces too!
Now, I can't go to Bridgewater without finding something to talk about (other than braces). We went to the mall and saw a very hyper hamster. I was there for more than an hour, and he never rested the whole time. Even rats sit still. I love that pet shop, it treats its animals well, except that they keep their animals on pine/cedar shavings. Urgh.
AND, I found a very neat book on drawing manga, and a book on how to draw anime. They look pretty good (both by the same author), and I can't help but wonder: What is the difference between anime and manga?

Martin the Warrior
November 21st, 2002, 04:46 PM
In North America, anime=Japanese animation and manga=Japanese comic books. In Japan, however, anime=all animation and manga=all comic books.

The styles are basically the same, only the medium is different.

MoonShadow
November 21st, 2002, 06:22 PM
And, MoonShadow does not want to be reminded of the horror of the rubber bands when she had braces, except that weren't in a triangle shape, but in the shape that adjusts a overbite. I mean, it just made it harder to eat, play the flute, and several times the rubber band pulled this cemented down thing loose! It was painful to have the those things off because it kept feeling like by back bottom teeth were being pulled. Plus, it felt weird to have my jaws adjusted. It was hard to close my mouth in a confortable position since the position of my jaws kept changing. :\

So I didn't wear them all the time since they were giving me such a hard time, but then, my orthedontist told me that I should wear them and blah blah blah, and I was glad I did, because she later showed me the alternative, and it looked PAINFUL! Yes, and MoonShadow is not trying to scare you even though her rubber bands were different.

Well, the good thing is that you're getting your braces off soon...

Airemia
November 22nd, 2002, 03:52 PM
Ugh, I guess I'm not the only one who had to wear elastics with my braces. They were annoying, so I never wore them, actually. Then I'd go to the orthadontist, and he'd be like, "Wow! Your bite is excellent! You've really be wearing your elastics, haven't you?" And I'd be like, "Yes, yes I have." :D

Oh, and I'm GETTING MY BRACES OFF DECEMBER 16TH!!! YES!!!!!!!! That's only two days before TTT! I won't have stupid metal things in my mouth while I'm watching The Two Towers! Yay!

VanessaNB
November 22nd, 2002, 04:43 PM
Actually, my bands aren't all that bad, aside from tasting like, well, rubber. I had a fine ole time getting them on this morning. It's easy enough to stretch out, but the little hook thingies you put it on are on back of my teeth on the top. Two on top, one on bottom, and it takes patience and some muttered swear words to get 'em on. Plus, once these things get wet, they have a habit of pinging off your fingers and into wherever. That's what happened today. I was in the school bathroom, trying to put it on after eating lunch, and twang! it went right off my finger. Of course, even if I did find it, I wouldn't want it in my mouth. Who knows what you can find on the bathroom floor at school:confused:
I've got a new one on now. This time it only took me 5 minutes and one swear word!

Cale Yin
November 22nd, 2002, 05:03 PM
Ack... I remember all that... My braces are long gone though... ^_^

My elastics were sometimes in a triangle, sometimes not, depending on how my teeth were doing. And I was really good about them, too. Yay for me. :cornflow:

MoonShadow
November 22nd, 2002, 05:09 PM
Braces hurt. They kept poking into the side of my mouth, making sores. :mad:

And they were responsible for giving me an infection on the inside of my cheek when a basketball hit my mouth and my braces basically made a nice little rip inside my mouth with blood, and of course, none of the adults took it too seriously because they all thought it was just a little booboo but no! If they hadn't made me continue playing basket ball (>.<) and at least get some ice, it would have been a lot better and I wouldn't have to go around school with a swollen mouth and take bitter medicine to get rid of the infection. *end rant*

Ooh... and rubber bands were fun to play with. I could make music with them.

Clone: -.-*

Lyrian Aryns
November 22nd, 2002, 05:40 PM
Oh, I hated those stupid elastic things. I wore them perhaps three times over the year that I was supposed to. Although I didn't really have much trouble getting them in... I fooled around till I could do it without a mirror, and then sorta... intentionally forgot to wear 'em.

But what bothered me was the way they cut the wires off right at the last bracket, but somehow in a week or so, it was poking me again. And I hated how I always took the wax out to eat, and then I left it on my lunch tray, and had to go the rest of the day getting pricked on the inside of me cheek... :\ Just about the only good thing was that when I went into a class where gum wasn't allowed, I didn't have to spit it out, I could just go and push it up on the sid of my mouth, and it would stick. So the teacher would never suspect I had gum.

MoonShadow
November 22nd, 2002, 06:25 PM
Well, I hardly ever used the wax because my orthedontist said that it elongated the time you had to have braces on, so... guess what kind of effect that statement had on MoonShadow. :\

And since my orthedontist said that gum also had you wear braces for a longer time.....

Sometimes I wonder why teachers say they're preparing you for high school when they tell you to spit out your gum, but my math teacher lets us chew gum and even wear hats! Maybe he's an exception?

Lyrian Aryns
November 22nd, 2002, 07:58 PM
Hehe... in my high school, there are no rules against gum, and the only place I can't wear my hat is during gym class.

And my orthodontist didn't really care about gum, so I pretty much chewed it anyway... But then again, I had braces for two and a half years, so maybe my advice really isn't worthwhile to follow. ;)

dandin1
November 23rd, 2002, 09:21 AM
In my school we arnt really supposed to chew gum, but the teachers don't care... Hats are a diffrent thing.... If a teacher sees you with a hat, forget about getting it back.

My friend has braces, and he used to have elsatics... sometimes they would snap in the middle of the class and you could hear it...

MoonShadow
November 23rd, 2002, 11:10 AM
I only had my braces on for one and a half years. ;b

I always did the right things, except I sometimes ate bagels without cutting them up (who cares, I was careful), I never chewed gum, and all the other blah blah blah stuff. Well, I did eat
starbursts, but I only sucked on them, I swear!

When one of my rubber band thingies snapped when I didn't have my whole packet of rubber bands with me, I took the other one off. I HATED THOSE ELASTIC BANDS!

Cale Yin
November 23rd, 2002, 02:23 PM
Well, I hardly ever used the wax because my orthedontist said that it elongated the time you had to have braces on, so... guess what kind of effect that statement had on MoonShadow. :\

And since my orthedontist said that gum also had you wear braces for a longer time.....

Sometimes I wonder why teachers say they're preparing you for high school when they tell you to spit out your gum, but my math teacher lets us chew gum and even wear hats! Maybe he's an exception?
I always did the right things, except I sometimes ate bagels without cutting them up (who cares, I was careful), I never chewed gum, and all the other blah blah blah stuff. Well, I did eat
starbursts, but I only sucked on them, I swear!

Moonshadow, I hate to tell you this, but your ortho was full of garbage. Putting on wax makes you have your braces longer? That is just a load of rot. And BAGELS being bad to eat?!?!? ...Don't recommend him to any other people. The only things that affect how long you have your braces are A)How good your ortho is, B)How crooked your teeth are, and C)How soft your bones are, or how flexible- if they aren't dense and hard, then it's going to take less time.
Yeesh... I ate everyhing I wasn't supposed to, and I did great. I even got my braces off five months early!!

VanessaNB
November 23rd, 2002, 03:05 PM
Eh? I ate all kinds off stuff, including bagels:p I also ate sugarless gum, I'm not supposed to eat the coated kind, but I think I did, and it never hauled my braces out, so...
Ooh, when my braces were first put in, there was no wire in the back poking me, it was part of a bracket in front, and it was freaking murder! I put wax on it, I must've wasted quite a bit.
As to my bands...I can now put them on in less than a minute and no swear words! They don't really hurt much. If I take them out to eat and put them back in after a while it's a little twitchy. Also, the band tends to go on a little twisty, so if I flex my jaw the right way I can make little noises in my mouth. I can't really describe them. Making music, just like Moonshadow sez.
And thank God for Campinos! Tasty little things, you can suck on them with braces, then when they're thin enough, crunch 'em up with no regard to braces. They only thing wrong with them is that I nearly choked on one, but that was my fault. Fancy playing Bouyball with one in my mouth:rolleyes:
My cousin also ate all kinds of stuff with braces. Like chomping corn straight off the cob. He was weeks away from getting them off, so, in his words, "I can take chances!"

MoonShadow
November 23rd, 2002, 06:30 PM
Moonshadow, I hate to tell you this, but your ortho was full of garbage. Putting on wax makes you have your braces longer? That is just a load of rot. And BAGELS being bad to eat?!?!? ...Don't recommend him to any other people. Well, "he" was a she, and she was actually a very good orthodontist. One of my friends told me how her sister had a bad orthodentist where the the wire had cut her lip or something... I don't remember, but mines was a very good and I got it from another friend's recommendation. Anyway, I had a friend who had an even larger foods-you-shouldn't-eat list! Well, my orthedontist said that it was it was the bagle-hardness and the tearing the bagle with your teeth that was the trouble, but oh well.

Probably the worst thing about her was that she was very, very expensive.

Cale Yin
November 23rd, 2002, 08:21 PM
Oh... Sorry... My ortho was a 'he' so I had a wire crossed or a short-circuit or something... :o

Mine was $4000 when I had them done, and 2 years later my sister's is $5000 for the same guy.

dandin1
November 24th, 2002, 02:03 PM
The dentist says I should go see an ortho for my crossbite, but I don't want to! Evreybody I know says that it hurts, and at that price, my familly could buy a few laptops instead!

MoonShadow
November 24th, 2002, 06:27 PM
That's okay Caleyin. :) And that's from the result of evil inflation. :\ *doesn't remember how much her braces were*

And so many of my friends had braces, or are going to have them. There's probably like one of them who's never going to get them. :\ One of my friend's brother had them on for at least six years (as far as I know, he might be still wearing them), because he took so bad care of them, and stuff from his braces are constantly falling out.... Yeech. :rolleyes:

Well, I didn't really need to get braces, because my teeth were basically straight, but still slightly crooked.... Well anyway, I'm over with braces, but then there's still the retainer that I rarely ever wash with a toothbrush or put it into a solution....

Airemia
November 24th, 2002, 06:48 PM
My orthodontist didn't want me to chew gum, or eat popcorn, or chocolate bars with nuts in them, or chewy candy, or caramel. Caramel wasn't a problem because I hate it. Everything else, I ate anyway, and my orthodontist never knew the difference. None of my brackets ever got damaged or anything.

Cale Yin
November 24th, 2002, 08:43 PM
Technically, I can stop wearing my retainer... In two days!!! Two days from today, two years ago, I got my braces off. But I'm going to keep wearing my retainer fro about another 10 years off and on. Constantly for the next year and then wear it less and less.

I'm supposed to put my retainer in a solution? What kind? I brush it with toothpaste and toothbrush but I never did hear no nothing bout no solution.

VanessaNB
November 25th, 2002, 03:51 PM
I dunno how much my braces cost. Well up in the thousands, I'm sure. 5000 and something.
Braces are kinda popular at my school. All the "cool" popular kids have braces, so those lovable little piles of wire are the latest thing where I live. One of the "cool" kids also ended up breaking his off sevral times during fights and four-wheeler accidents.
And yes, I ate popcorn. But I chewed it carefully.
*pause*
There. I had to go put my band back in. We just got done supper (dark already) and someone got to the bathroom before me.
*twists jaw to make rubber noises with band*

MoonShadow
November 25th, 2002, 07:16 PM
Well, I'm supposed to. I guess my ortho is a careful kind of person, or whatever the word is. :\ She said that I'll probably wear it until I'm in the late teens or something, because it's only at night and everything....

Basically everybody is getting braces, but it's not really a "cool" thing though.... And quite a relief when you get them off.

Cale Yin
November 25th, 2002, 07:21 PM
my ortho is a careful kind of person, or whatever the word is

Paranoid? :p

I have to wear my retainer only at night, too. I really haven't worn my bottom retainer at all. :rolleyes: My bottom teeth aren't perfectly PERFECTLY straight anymore as a result but I can still fix it back. Might take a few months but I can fix it.

Lyrian Aryns
November 25th, 2002, 08:38 PM
*coughs guiltily* I have worn my retainer about a total of six times since I got it last year... But it still fits! ... Well, pretty much. :\ And I never bother to wash it, if I do bother to wear it. And still my orthodontist can't tell... or doesn't let on that he can...

Cale Yin
November 26th, 2002, 03:36 PM
But when you wear it, it gets all the drool in it and stuff... XO How can you NOT wash it out?!

MoonShadow
November 27th, 2002, 05:21 PM
I definitely hope Lyrian meant that she didn't wash it with toothpaste or put it in a solution. I just run it through the water and scrub it with my fingers for a few seconds so it won't be slimy with saliva. :|

Lyrian Aryns
November 27th, 2002, 05:59 PM
...ew. Yes, that was what I meant. That would be just... gross... otherwise.