PDA

View Full Version : Scotish Squirrel!

Delhome
May 20th, 2004, 07:15 PM
I say it's about time. I've read the Scotish Birds of Prey (Wild Lord Mac Phersome) and I'm glad were haveing a Squirrel from the Wild North. Can't Wait for Rakkety Tamm

Kediassa
May 20th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Scottish Squirrels? Sounds a bit strange if you ask me. (Three s'. I counted).

Cheesethief
May 21st, 2004, 07:19 AM
im happy scots are getting a main character.

Keyla
May 21st, 2004, 11:11 AM
Well, if you'd said to me that a hare would be the hero of "The Long Patrol" before I read it I would have been skeptical. Could Brian pull it off or would it end up as all accent and no character? However, upon reading the book I really liked Tammo and thought him very well written.
It strikes me that Brian is so used to writing accents that it doesn't really get in the way of his writing.

Cheesethief
May 21st, 2004, 01:09 PM
;)
right on.
i wonder if doogie ploom (douglas plum) will turn on racketty at the end?

Kediassa
May 21st, 2004, 02:11 PM
Sorry if I am off topic, but what are all the accents (you know, the moles, the hares so and so)? I'm not very good with accents, so I could never get them.

Now I know the northernbeasts are scottish, what about the other accent ones? Well, I also know the hare is something close to british O.o

Keyla
May 21st, 2004, 03:01 PM
Almost all Redwallian accents are "British". Hares are parodies of the "army major" style talk, even posher than I speak.;) Not that I don't know people who speak like that, mainly teachers though.

Moles are your typical country bumpkins: "Boi ur zur, that's moi comboin'arvester, that is."

Other accents, such as Burble's, often don't reflect a certain region or class, so much as a particular manner.

Kediassa
May 21st, 2004, 04:51 PM
Thank you, Keyla.

Sandstripe the Wild
May 21st, 2004, 06:15 PM
I'm glad Brian's using a Scottsmen for a main character, I really like Scotts. I would like to see him use an Irish character, I like their accents. As for molespeech I believe Brian said it was Rustic.

Cheesethief
May 22nd, 2004, 09:06 AM
rustic as in somerset. ask cheek.;)
irish accents-the dunehoigs (tlol).
its scots with one t. im a scot!

Kediassa
May 22nd, 2004, 09:28 AM
How about a french accent for a character?

Keyla
May 22nd, 2004, 09:36 AM
I see no reason why not; we had germanic villains in "Triss", da vicked Kurda, ja?

Cheesethief
May 22nd, 2004, 10:19 AM
eet eez logeecal, non?

Kediassa
May 22nd, 2004, 11:17 AM
:lol: Funny, but much easier to understand than mole.

Keyla
May 23rd, 2004, 07:20 AM
I think the dialects are easier for Brits to understand as we hear people speak like that every day- if not in actual contact, on the news at least. It's one of those things that makes Redwall feel British. I must confess, it wouldn't appeal to me so much if it were in American or Australian accents.

Cheesethief
May 23rd, 2004, 09:35 AM
mmm. the hares are the RAF chaps. moles are from somerset. otters are the dockers. all people bj saw in his childhood.