PDA

View Full Version : Where have all the Mice gone?

Cinnabarr Rivershell
May 20th, 2004, 11:01 PM
When BJ first started writing Redwall, it seemed that the mouse was always the main character.

Ex. Redwall- Matthias
Mossflower- Martin
Mattimeo- Mattimeo/Matthias
Meriel of Redwall- Meriel

Then, Brian decided to broaden his horizens a little by introducing the main character of Salamandastron as a squirrel, Samkin. Then he went back to the ever popular Martin, in Martin the Warrior. And yet, again he had a mouse as the main character in The Bellmaker, Joseph. After The Bellmaker, though there weren' too many mice as main characters in books that followed.

Ex. Outcast of Redwall- Sunflash
Pearls of Lutra- Grath/Tansy
Long Patrol- Tammo
Marlfox- Danflor Reguba

Finally, after four books BJ decides to bring back the mouse as Martin, in The Legend of Luke. After that though, mice were left on the bookshelf for another four books and soon to be five books with RT coming out.

Ex. Lord Broktree- Broktree
Taggerung- Tagg
Triss- Triss
Loamhedge- Marhta/Braggon/Sarro
Rakkety Tamm- Rakkety Tam (I presume)

So what I'm upset about is the lack of mice as main charaters in BJ's new books. I love mice, but they are being left on the bookshelf. Why is BJ doing this? And will his new book after RT finnally have a mouse as the main character? I certainly hope so!

LordTBT
May 21st, 2004, 12:33 AM
I always found mice boring and liked the other creatures better personally.

Cheesethief
May 21st, 2004, 07:18 AM
PoL-martin II or III was a character.
i would like to see a mouse again though.

Cinnabarr Rivershell
May 21st, 2004, 05:05 PM
I thought about Martin II, but I didn't put him down because he wasn't really a main character mouse, but a sub-character.

Grath
May 21st, 2004, 05:29 PM
I kinda miss the mice in these stories. They always seemed to be in the mood for adventure and were always friendly. Now they don't do really do anything except act as abbot or abbess or become a sidekick to one of the warriors.
Wasn't the last mouse warrior Martin II? And he did not seem to be the main character in the story, yet he did fight Ublaz.
Brian should definietly bring back a mouse warrior, and I hope he does so after Rackkety Tam.

Sandstripe the Wild
May 21st, 2004, 06:07 PM
While I enjoy it when squirrels are the abbey champions, there haven't been many mice champions for awhile. Personally I would like to see a hare or badger claim the Martin Sword.

Cinnabarr Rivershell
May 21st, 2004, 06:22 PM
Wouldn't it be wierd though, to see a hare with the sword of Martin and if a badger had the sword it would more likely be "The Dagger of Martin the Warrior.

That would be funny to see!:lol:

Blurtail
May 21st, 2004, 06:42 PM
who needs mice? SQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIR RELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSS QUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRR ELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQ UIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRE LSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQU IRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRREL SSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELS
SQUIRRELS
SQUIRRELS
SQUIRRELSSQUIRRELS
SQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELS
SQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELS
SQUIRRELSSQUIRRELS
SQUIRRELS

Kediassa
May 21st, 2004, 07:00 PM
I believe one of these days their will have to be either a shrew as a main character, a bird or mole. Mice were well known in the past; i agree that mice should come back for about a book or two.

Cheesethief
May 22nd, 2004, 09:08 AM
last warror mouse- Martin tw, his grandad (mart 1) and mart 3.

Element_man
May 22nd, 2004, 03:07 PM
Hedgehogs are better.

Blurtail
May 22nd, 2004, 03:56 PM
WE NEED MORE SQUIRRELS
SQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIR
RELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSS
QUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRR
ELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQ
UIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRE
LSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQU
IRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRREL
SSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELS
SQUIRRELS
SQUIRRELS
SQUIRRELSSQUIRRELS
SQUIRRELSSQUIRRELS
SQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIR RELSSQUIR
SSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELS
SQUIRRELS
SQUIRRELS
SQUIRRELSSQUIRRELS
SQUIRRELSSQUIRRELS
SQUIRRELS

Kediassa
May 22nd, 2004, 04:39 PM
More squirrels? I couldn't see that happening.

Element_man
May 22nd, 2004, 05:59 PM
Um, Blurtail?

Shut up.

Blurtail
May 22nd, 2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Element_man
Um, Blurtail?

Shut up.

Right back at ya

Slagar the Cruel
May 22nd, 2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Blurtail
WE NEED MORE SQUIRRELS
SQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIR
SSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELS
SQUIRRELS
SQUIRRELS
SQUIRRELSSQUIRRELS
SQUIRRELSSQUIRRELS
SQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELSSQUIR RELSSQUIR
SSQUIRRELSSQUIRRELS
SQUIRRELS
SQUIRRELS
SQUIRRELSSQUIRRELS
SQUIRRELSSQUIRRELS
SQUIRRELS
To quote Strong Bad's popular independant comic, "Teen Girl Squad":

"What's your problem?!"

Cinnabarr Rivershell
May 22nd, 2004, 07:00 PM
Blurtail cut down on the sugary foods.

Kediassa
May 22nd, 2004, 07:42 PM
Yeah, no kidding. :rolleyes:

Cheesethief
May 23rd, 2004, 09:44 AM
Blurtail? quit it.
or quiddit, to quote barry trotter.

Blurtail
May 23rd, 2004, 01:54 PM
I don't eat sugary foods.
BUT I RAISE SQUIRRELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sandstripe the Wild
May 23rd, 2004, 02:51 PM
Really? What kind? Do you sell them?

Blurtail
May 23rd, 2004, 03:06 PM
Grays mostly, and yes i do sell them, but only to people in my county, they don't like to travel alot. My school has used them to repopulate the nature trail owned and maintianed by the Biology club. I have an Albino that i am never selling. His name is George.

Cheesethief
May 23rd, 2004, 03:24 PM
http://www.bartowassoc.com/squirrel.jpg

Blurtail
May 23rd, 2004, 04:26 PM
Cheesetheif, i love that pic, where you get?

Sandstripe the Wild
May 23rd, 2004, 05:32 PM
Gray eh, I'm going to assume you don't live near Texas since we don't have gray squirrels over here.

Cinnabarr Rivershell
May 23rd, 2004, 05:36 PM
Everyone loves SQUIRRELS! Why I ask all of you? Why do people dislike mice soooooo much?!?! I mean they look cute don't they. My new found mission in life is to expose the world to mice by breeding mice! HAHAHAHAAAA!!!!

Blurtail
May 23rd, 2004, 07:35 PM
Nope i ain't from texas. North Carolina born and raised. I like mice, but i like squirrels better.

Kediassa
May 23rd, 2004, 07:40 PM
Go to Australia, Cinnabar. Anyways, just yesterday a mouse jumped in a greese pan at my house. I saved him, washed him off a bit, and named him/her. I set the mouse free this morning.

Cinnabarr Rivershell
May 23rd, 2004, 07:52 PM
What was his/her name Kediassa?

Slagar the Cruel
May 23rd, 2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Cinnabarr Rivershell
Everyone loves SQUIRRELS! Why I ask all of you? Why do people dislike mice soooooo much?!?! I mean they look cute don't they. My new found mission in life is to expose the world to mice by breeding mice! HAHAHAHAAAA!!!!
Um... I think the world has generally already been exposed to mice a great deal.

Regarding mice in the Redwall series: I believe they're starting to make a comeback. They're not as prominent as they once were, but they're not as subdued as they were from most of the time from The Long Patrol to Lord Brocktree.

Kediassa
May 24th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Her name was Cadylith.

I believe it was a girl.

Cheesethief
May 24th, 2004, 12:25 PM
i just google imaged whit squirrels blurry.

i rescued some ducklings the other day. and a baby bird, but it died.:(

Senav
May 24th, 2004, 03:34 PM
We do need more mice. They're kinda like the "everyman" of the Redwall series. Need a random Dibbun or expendable Abbey-goer? Just grab a mouse!
And besides, I don't really like squirrels all that much. Darned annoying in real life. *is beaten by an angry mob*

Blurtail
May 24th, 2004, 08:02 PM
Squirrels are the best in redwall, (and Jess Squirrel and Trisscar Swordmaid are both squrriels, and so is lady amber. So squirrels are average abby goers.) And squirrels are the 2nd most huggable animal on the face of the earth, 2nd only to Komodo Dragons.

Sandstripe the Wild
May 24th, 2004, 08:25 PM
I like the squirrels, though I was never that fond of Trisscar. Personally I prefer Silent Sam, Samkim, the Reguba's, the Swifteye's, Felldoh, Rufe Brush, Oak Tom and Treerose, Russa Nodrey, Friar Butty, and Broggle and family.

Komodo Dragons... huggable? Maybe if you strap on a slab of meat. You remind me of a friend from school.

Blurtail
May 24th, 2004, 08:32 PM
#1 Komodo Dragons are the cutest animal on the face of the earth

#2 I think any squirrel to settle down with Triss would be lucky

#3 I would love to be a redwall Squirrel

#4 I breed squirrels and release them into the wild, so i know that squirrels are smarter than humans in many ways

#5 Did i mention that komodo dragons are the cutest animal on the face of the earth.

Cinnabarr Rivershell
May 24th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Thank you Senav! I liked that reply a lot!
Slowly and slowly I gain more supporters for "More Mice in Rewall." (MMIR) for short. :D

LordTBT
May 24th, 2004, 08:38 PM
I'm happy being the most intelligent species on earth, or human thanks.

Blurtail
May 24th, 2004, 08:43 PM
i love squirrels, would rather have been a squirrel, and if the technoly comes along, i want my mind transfer in to a squirrel body.

Cinnabarr Rivershell
May 24th, 2004, 08:49 PM
If that were possible Blurtail, then you would have to have an extreamly large head for a squirrel to be as smart as you are now. But if you wanted to have a normal squirrel head then you would be extreamly dumb because squirrels have small brains. We humans, have big brains and even though we only use 10% of our brains capacity we still are smarter than any other life form found so far on our planet. Thank you ver much!

Element_man
May 24th, 2004, 10:08 PM
If even though we only use 10% of our brains capacity

WRONG!!!

Cinnabarr Rivershell
May 24th, 2004, 11:48 PM
Well ssoooorrrrryyyyyy!!! So Mr. Know-it-All, how much of our brains do we use? Cause when I'm WRONG I like to know the correct answer so I do not make the same mistake again.

Element_man
May 25th, 2004, 12:15 AM
The correct answer would be: 100%

Kediassa
May 25th, 2004, 08:57 AM
we don't use 100% of our brain capacity. It's in my science book. And I love squirrels, too. But mice need to come back. When I first read Redwall, I thought that mice were the main animal. But when I moved on I learned different.

And just to be random, if you were a creature in the Redwall series, what would you be? Ha, I'd be a badger, though my avatar looks like a ferret..

Cheesethief
May 25th, 2004, 11:09 AM
id be a good stoat. cos i saw a dead stoat last night. two in fact.

Element_man
May 25th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Kediassa
we don't use 100% of our brain capacity. It's in my science book. And I love squirrels, too. But mice need to come back. When I first read Redwall, I thought that mice were the main animal. But when I moved on I learned different.

And just to be random, if you were a creature in the Redwall series, what would you be? Ha, I'd be a badger, though my avatar looks like a ferret..

It can also depend on what exactly you mean by that question. I think we are open to 100% of our brain's capacity, however we don't use all 100% of it at once. the strain woud kill someone.

As for the question, I'd be a hedgehog, because they rock, and they're under-rated in the world of Redwall. All they do is sit arond in the cellar, and drink. Every now and then, you get some hedgehogs wrestling, and we've had 1, (Or was it 2?) Hedgehogs as abbot. No hedgehog has been champion of Redwall yet.

Slagar the Cruel
May 25th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Blurtail
i love squirrels, would rather have been a squirrel, and if the technoly comes along, i want my mind transfer in to a squirrel body.
Um, Blurtail, would you mind elucidating your statement a bit? I'm sorry, but I'm really having a tough time understanding you.

Originally posted by Element_man
No hedgehog has been champion of Redwall yet.
To me, a hedgehog Abbey Champion would be only slightlier easy to imagine than a Warrior Mole. ;) To be fair, hedgehogs have shown a good deal of fighting prowess in the past, but it was usually with more unconventional tactics (the hedgehog from Bellmaker who used stale food as a weapon comes to mind). I just can't see a hedgehog running at the head of an army, sword waving.

Cinnabarr Rivershell
May 25th, 2004, 09:35 PM
Next time be clearer to state your objective and reasoning Element_man.

Element_man
May 25th, 2004, 11:03 PM
Next time be clearer to state your objective and reasoning Element_man. Meh, I wasen't entirelly sure exactly what you were saying on the subject, but it doesn't really matter. We're off-topic anyways.

To me, a hedgehog Abbey Champion would be only slightlier easy to imagine than a Warrior Mole. To be fair, hedgehogs have shown a good deal of fighting prowess in the past, but it was usually with more unconventional tactics (the hedgehog from Bellmaker who used stale food as a weapon comes to mind). I just can't see a hedgehog running at the head of an army, sword waving.

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6162/sword1.gif

Cornflower
May 26th, 2004, 01:02 AM
I like the variety of animals that can wield Martin's sword, and that it isn't just limited to mice. However, we haven't seen a really prominent mouse character since "The Bellmaker" so I would like mice to make a comeback.

Goddess of Darkness
May 26th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Slagar the Cruel
To quote Strong Bad's popular independant comic, "Teen Girl Squad":
What's your problem?!

I met a "possum"! ((My blood hurts...))

Good for you...

Cheesethief
May 26th, 2004, 10:05 AM
hmm. new thread time i think.
"next hero/heroine?"