PDA

View Full Version : Inaccuracies in the Redwall books

Mariel StormRider
May 31st, 2004, 02:33 AM
Has anyone noticed the little inaccuracies of the Redwall books? For instance:

Abbot Mortimer telling Matthias that Martin lay wounded in the snow after battling Tarsmina. It was summer when he fought her.

Martin placed his sword in the weather vane, but it was obvious that Simeon found it in his tomb

My opinion is that they're okay, since they don't really mess with the flow of the books. They're just fun to nitpick about :D

What others can you find?: More importantly, what do you think of it?

LordTBT
May 31st, 2004, 03:17 AM
Martin placed his sword in the weather vane, but it was obvious that Simeon found it in his tomb

I thought only the shield was in the tomb...

Keyla
May 31st, 2004, 09:11 AM
Did anyone else notice how a waterfall suddenly appears at the end of the river Moss in "The Legend of Luke" but is absent in "Mossflower" and "Mariel of Redwall". Of course, it isn't actually refered to as the river Moss, perhaps deliberately but it seems clear that there could be no other river being refered to here.

Cheesethief
May 31st, 2004, 02:15 PM
look, anything could have made the fall. what about small streams? how do you know the sword was in the tomb. i believe simeon went outside (dogrose). and in history, things get muddled, like it says martin came TO the abbey, which is wrong, but how do you know custer had 200 and not 300???

Keyla
May 31st, 2004, 02:53 PM
look, anything could have made the fall. what about small streams? While it would be quite far fetched it is possible that the waterfall was formed within the few seasons between "Mossflower" and "The Legend of Luke". However, the chances are quite slim as it would require some significant seismic movement for part of the land to have been lifted that far above another part. Now, while it is conceivable that a plate margin is running along the coast- after all Salamandastron is there- it strikes me a proposterous that all sign of this waterfall would disappear by the time of "Mariel of Redwall" where it is clear it is not there.

Cheesethief
May 31st, 2004, 05:17 PM
i was thinking more along the lines of activity by the creatures dwelling in the area surrounding the aforementioned waterfall.

Kediassa
May 31st, 2004, 08:46 PM
Have you noticed that in the Mariel of Redwall book Salamandastron is not shown on the map, but Salamandastron exsisted then? It's not that great of a finding, but heh it's something alright.

Cheesethief
June 1st, 2004, 05:16 AM
have you noticed that it is actually, at least in my copy. and what about the cliffs etc.?

LordTBT
June 1st, 2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Kediassa
Have you noticed that in the Mariel of Redwall book Salamandastron is not shown on the map, but Salamandastron exsisted then? It's not that great of a finding, but heh it's something alright.

I think its mainly because we didnt see any action at the ole rock. Rawnblade Widestripe traveled a long distance away from it surprisingly. I wouldnt abandon it for as long as he did.

Cheesethief
June 2nd, 2004, 09:58 AM
its in the uk version i tell ya!

Bragoon
June 2nd, 2004, 06:56 PM
Once my friend said there was a mention of the abbey bell ringing in the Outcast of Redwall. This doesn't fit with the Bellmaker(dandin pounded the logs with the clubs). The Outcast of Redwall was before the bell if the Bellmaker is correct.
I read the book and didn't find any mention of the bell in there though.

Cheesethief
June 3rd, 2004, 05:20 AM
i dont think thats right. maybe in a first edition... im not sure. im reading outcast right now and havent heard about the bell.

Madd The Sane
June 3rd, 2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Cheesethief
how do you know the sword was in the tomb. i believe simeon went outside (dogrose).

And how, pray, did he climb the wall to the weathervane:D ? It would be hard enough for a mouse to climb the wall at night, but it would be twice as hard for a blind mouse to climb the wall at all.
Unless the sword fell, and how would that have happened? As it is said in Mariel of Redwall, Simeon was under the abbey.

About the bell…
the person may have been talking about the bell tower.

Cheesethief
June 3rd, 2004, 11:48 AM
did i say he climbed to the weathervane?
and heres an innacuracy, bungo is a babe in martin the warrior but he is also in the great redwall feast and a redwall winters tale.

Slagar the Cruel
June 3rd, 2004, 03:36 PM
Martin's ghost flew Simeon to the top of the roof, or something. I don't know, all that matter is that Simeon did get the sword off the top of the roof somehow.

LordTBT
June 3rd, 2004, 03:50 PM
The Sword was 'acquired' for Simeon.

Cheesethief
June 4th, 2004, 05:58 AM
what does that mean?

LordTBT
June 4th, 2004, 01:42 PM
doesnt have to mean anything. Thats the mystery of Redwall;)

Speaking of inaccuracies, my favorite one is the paperback copy of Mariel of Redwall. On the back, Gabool has a pistol.

Kediassa
June 4th, 2004, 03:24 PM
:lol: A pistol?

Felldoh
June 4th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Yeah, I own that edition... the pistol is there alright...

Cheesethief
June 4th, 2004, 04:43 PM
i mentioned this on the "cover art" topic a while ago. it is a horrendous mistake.

LordTBT
June 5th, 2004, 02:27 AM
i mentioned this on the "cover art" topic a while ago. it is a horrendous mistake.

ironically, it's the reason I bought it. I was like whoa! Guns in Redwall! I used to(well not used to, I still am) be really cheap and just wait the 6 months to get the paperback editions of new books. Then I realized I wanted the whole set in hardback, its more elegant and then i have something to share with my kids rather than battered paperbacks.

The only ones I'm missing are below. So only 3.

Cheesethief
June 5th, 2004, 06:36 AM
ive got most in red fox paperback, nothing special, except redwall, which is a first edition, mattimeo, also a first edition, and taggerung onwards in hardback.

Felldoh
June 5th, 2004, 10:40 PM
I've got about half the books, all in American paperback. I'm considering getting the hard cover editions, but I have other things I need to spend my money on...

Madd The Sane
June 7th, 2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Slagar the Cruel
Martin's ghost flew Simeon to the top of the roof, or something. I don't know, all that matter is that Simeon did get the sword off the top of the roof somehow.
Then what was a sword belt doing in Martin's crypt? I don't think that it was down there for no reason. I kind of understand a shield, but a sword belt that had a place for a scabbard?

Cheesethief
June 8th, 2004, 12:06 PM
i ordered the redwall playscript too.

Cheesethief
June 13th, 2004, 11:58 AM
sorry to double post, but in the long patrol, on the map in the book the coast is where the lake should be.

Delhome
June 13th, 2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Madd The Sane
Then what was a sword belt doing in Martin's crypt? I don't think that it was down there for no reason. I kind of understand a shield, but a sword belt that had a place for a scabbard?

Ok, have you ever thaught of what the weather and elements will do to leather in over 500 seasons?

That is why.
2ndly, I find it kinda unfair to nit-pick at Brain's work, I mean, with out him, there would be no Long Patrol Forums.

Mariel StormRider
June 13th, 2004, 10:49 PM
He's still great, but this is all in good humor:p

Cheesethief
June 14th, 2004, 10:57 AM
brian is well the best author for kids. jk rowling...copies stufff out of history books...er...i dont read many other kids books...but the ones i do are good, but not like brian.

Mariel StormRider
June 14th, 2004, 06:06 PM
brian is well the best author for kids. jk rowling...copies stufff out of history books...er...i dont read many other kids books...but the ones i do are good, but not like brian.

I TOTALLY agree!!! His books are by far the most re-readable, complex enough but well-paced, and AWESOME!!!

LordTBT
June 14th, 2004, 06:15 PM

Thats inaccurate. BJ uses history for some of his ideas.

And I have to say I kinda disagree with the poster above me. I've read every BJ book so many times...I can just look at the cover and the story comes to me. It's not always like that with HP, the HP books are very lengthy.

Cheesethief
June 15th, 2004, 11:00 AM
i know, but he doesnt open up "Ancient Greek Legends", put his finger on a word in the index, turn to the page and start copying stuff down. and that story thing...me too. but thats good. rowling is poor. the books are too long, at least no 5, the rubbish one, was.

Felldoh
June 15th, 2004, 05:49 PM
I've read up to book three of Harry Potter, and 11 of Redwall... so that probably tells you where I stand on which series I like more. :D I enjoy the Redwall books more, and I think their better than the Harry Potter books, but still not the best books ever. Watership Down, for one, is better than all the Redwall books in my opinion.

Chelki Sureshot
June 15th, 2004, 06:21 PM
**rolls her eyes** (I love doing that:rolleyes: )People! Martin put his sword in the tomb, Simeon went and got it from the tomb, Dandin used it, and at the end of The Bellmaker, it says in the epilouge that Rufe Brush took the sword and climbed up to the weathervane, and placed it there. Remember, Mariel of Redwall happened before Redwall. So, it was in the tomb, then on the weathervane. Now it's hanging at the top of the tapestry. Everybody got it? Such confusion about such a little thing!

Delhome
June 15th, 2004, 08:24 PM
i couldn't stand watership down

Delhome
June 15th, 2004, 08:28 PM

Ok number 1, Martin is based on St. Martin (Look it up)
#2 Asmodeus is one of the many names of the Devil (Brain says so in one of the "Ask the author" seasons in RWTV)

EDIT: sorry to double post

Mariel StormRider
June 15th, 2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Chelki Sureshot
**rolls her eyes** (I love doing that:rolleyes: )People! Martin put his sword in the tomb, Simeon went and got it from the tomb, Dandin used it, and at the end of The Bellmaker, it says in the epilouge that Rufe Brush took the sword and climbed up to the weathervane, and placed it there. Remember, Mariel of Redwall happened before Redwall. So, it was in the tomb, then on the weathervane. Now it's hanging at the top of the tapestry. Everybody got it? Such confusion about such a little thing!

I agree with that, except for the fact that at the end of Legand of Luke, (sorry if I spelled Legand wrong, I'm not sure), Martin asked Krar -I forgot his last name- woodcatcher, or somthing, to help him put it in his hiding spot. It may be nothing, but it seems to me that it would make more sense that since we know there's only two places Martin would probably hide his sword

1. The tomb
2. The weathervane

It's more likely that a bird would be needed to fly the sword up to the abbey roof than go down to an underground chamber. And on that thought, Krar specifically was a raptor and would have been the only bird strong enough to carry a full blade up to the roof. That's why it's confusing, but it's probably a little mistake

Cheesethief
June 16th, 2004, 03:41 PM
watership down, i never read that. just thinking, i thought the farthing wood tv series was a bit like redwall.
delhome, i know. both those. martin is derived from mars, greek god of war too. asmodeus, the devil on two sticks, satan, saint nicholas, lucifer, yaaaaawn.
legend, mariel. tut tut, though i dont use caps, i still spell. and it was woodwatcher. but you have a good point.

Element_man
June 16th, 2004, 06:10 PM
If I recall, The shield was in the tomb. When Simeon recieved the sword from Martin, it was placed in his hands. AFTER that happened, Rufe Brush took it to the top of the weathervane.

Delhome
June 16th, 2004, 09:05 PM
which great king Sparra got from

Mariel StormRider
June 16th, 2004, 10:59 PM

legend, mariel. tut tut, though i dont use caps

:o Sorry:o

LordTBT
June 16th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Delhome
Ok number 1, Martin is based on St. Martin (Look it up)
#2 Asmodeus is one of the many names of the Devil (Brain says so in one of the "Ask the author" seasons in RWTV)

EDIT: sorry to double post

um. youre wrong.
http://www.redwall.org/dave/answers2.html

72. In 731 AD, an English monk, Bede, wrote "...the preaching of Bishop Ninian... Ninian's episcopal see, named after Saint Martin and famous for its stately church ... and is commonly known as Candida Casa, the White House, because he built the church of stone, which was unusual among the Britons."

Is this where the names and idea for Redwall, St. Ninian's and Martin the Warrior came from? (Michael New, Austin, Texas)

What impressive research work!! But as this is the first time I have seen this, my answer is no. I have been influenced by my own environment of red sandstone buildings and a diet of high adventure books as a child.

You are the weakest link. Goodbye.

Originally posted by Felldoh
I've read up to book three of Harry Potter, and 11 of Redwall... so that probably tells you where I stand on which series I like more. :D I enjoy the Redwall books more, and I think their better than the Harry Potter books, but still not the best books ever. Watership Down, for one, is better than all the Redwall books in my opinion.

I've read all of both series. You need to catch up. HP reads incredibly fast.

Madd The Sane
June 24th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Chelki Sureshot

I agree.

posted by Mariel Stormrider
It's more likely that a bird would be needed to fly the sword up to the abbey roof than go down to an underground chamber. And on that thought, Krar specifically was a raptor and would have been the only bird strong enough to carry a full blade up to the roof. That's why it's confusing, but it's probably a little mistake
It may have been that, or maybe when Martin died a squirrel found the sword and put it in the tomb. Maybe?

Jodan
July 15th, 2004, 10:06 AM
and I found the truth about Martin's sword, it was in his tomb, when Simeon was led by Martin's spirit down there. At the end of the book, Rufe carried it up to the weathervane, where it was later replaced by King MacPhearsome after lightning had hit it.

One contradiction that I found, is in Salamandastron, it is mentioned that Lord Brocktree was the first Badger Lord of Salamandastron, but we find out later that is not the case.

Chelki Sureshot
July 15th, 2004, 11:36 AM
Yeah. . .Now I'm really confused. I'm not even gonna think about it.

Cinnabarr Rivershell
July 16th, 2004, 01:01 AM
Well, Joden, you see. Lord Broktree was the first Badger Lord to set up a Salamandastron Code of Loyalty or Honor or something like that. He was the first one to make up most of the recent rules and guidelines that badgers afterward followed. So even though there were Badger Lords and Ladys before him, he was the first Badger Lord to basically remodel Salamandastron.

Jodan
July 16th, 2004, 10:10 AM
It has been awhile since I read Lord Brocktree. But Loambudd still says Lord Brocktree was the first Badger Lord. My thinking is that since the mountain is so old, and the facts are obscured by time, that they simply forgot about the earlier ones. But unless the Badger Lords didn't make carvings before Lord Brocktree, then you should be able to trace the rulers of Salamandastron back as far as they go.

Cheesethief
July 18th, 2004, 07:28 AM
honestly! i mean, that room was inaccessible to most. maybe previous lords did not know about it. and i mean, i cant remember how many ships were in the armada, or how many scots there were 2000 years ago do i?
and jodan, you are proved wrong in your sword theory. krar took it to the vane.

Martin of Redwall II
October 24th, 2004, 06:15 AM
:confused: :confused: i'm confusd :confused: :confused:

Ferahgo the Assassin
October 24th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Well, this is certainly an old thread, but since Martin II brought it up, I'll contribute my two cents.

Remember Diggum and Gurrbowl, the two little mole Dibbun friends of Arven in Pearls of Lutra? Well, in Pearls, Diggum is female, Gurrbowl is male. In The Long Patrol, Gurrbowl is female, Diggum is male. Pretty strange, and not quite like Killconey's gender being confused (that was supposedly an editing mistake, right?).

Also, Gurrbowl and Diggum somehow lived the span of three books.

Bladeswift
October 24th, 2004, 06:54 PM
You mean besides the fact that the animals can talk? ;)

Wormerwing
January 22nd, 2005, 04:15 PM
Well, this is certainly an old thread, but since Martin II brought it up, I'll contribute my two cents.

Remember Diggum and Gurrbowl, the two little mole Dibbun friends of Arven in Pearls of Lutra? Well, in Pearls, Diggum is female, Gurrbowl is male. In The Long Patrol, Gurrbowl is female, Diggum is male. Pretty strange, and not quite like Killconey's gender being confused (that was supposedly an editing mistake, right?).

Also, Gurrbowl and Diggum somehow lived the span of three books.

They were Dibbuns in PoL, and are probably very old in Marlfox.
Also, in Salamandastron, they say Mother Mellus went to her rest "some years ago". Indeed, she could have lived that long if it weren't for Cap'n Slipp, but she didn't. None of the animals in Salamandastron were alive to even remember her.
(sorry to resurrect a dead topic)

Barkstripe
February 21st, 2005, 03:37 PM
Have you noticed that in the Mariel of Redwall book Salamandastron is not shown on the map, .
I think it is because salamandastron isn't important in this story