PDA

View Full Version : Close encouters of the Redwall kind

Cheesethief
June 2nd, 2004, 10:12 AM
Out for a walk the other day, i came across a rat trap with a dead stoat caught. it was the first time ive seen one up close and it was so cool. nearby was evidence of several stoats living in a community and in a nearby stream a well-dead stoat was sprawled on the rocks. nearby were owl pellets, a sparrows nest, and a whole platoon of bats.

anyone else had a redwall encouter?
it could be anything from "MY CAT LOOKS LIKE GINGIVERE" to "I SAW A BADGER".
which remins me i do have a ginger cat and i saw a badger so close i couldve touched it only a while ago...

LordTBT
June 3rd, 2004, 03:51 PM
I've never seen half of the main animals of Redwall in all honesty.

I've seen squirrels, seals, whales, ferrets, mice, and rats. But never in person a badger, stoat, weasel, or mole.

Cinnabarr Rivershell
June 3rd, 2004, 04:05 PM
I was really close to a badger once! I wanted to get even closer to it, but I bumped into the glass wall that it was behind. (I was at the zoo). HAHA :D

Furrtil
June 3rd, 2004, 04:20 PM
A girl I know is named Tessa. *blink* I've seen squirrels, mice, hedgehogs, birds, ferrets, and that's about it.

Cinnabarr Rivershell
June 3rd, 2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Furrtil

A girl I know is named Tessa. *blink*

What are you talking about?:confused:

Furrtil
June 3rd, 2004, 04:25 PM
Tess Churchmouse...

Cinnabarr Rivershell
June 3rd, 2004, 04:30 PM
OH. I get it now.

Nora the Rover
June 3rd, 2004, 06:35 PM
I've seen a few weasels, owls, wild rabbits, plenty of birds, a wolverine, (From a distance), squirrels, foxes, voles, snakes, and my old middle school teacher had two really cool pet ferrets. I go hiking and camping alot, so I've seen loads of animals.
I've never seen a stoat before, except in pictures. I've seen alot of the other animals in zoos or as pets, though.

Senav
June 3rd, 2004, 06:56 PM
I've seen ferrets at the pet store. And a hedgehog.
And in the great outdoors, mice, moles, a few dead shrews, an army of squirrels, what may or may not have been a stoat, snowshoe hares (close enough), an otter (or a mink), seals, all kinds of birds of prey, snakes, a fox in a zoo... probably forgoten something. And I've seen some gulls and gannets, they've been mentioned in the books, right?
Foxes are really hard to find. I've seen tracks, but they're really secretive, and I don't have the patience to sit around and wait for one to come out of hiding.

Cheesethief
June 4th, 2004, 06:02 AM
this counry is crawling with critters.
oh, if you love otters, join IOSF. their website is www.otter.org, and its great. ive been a member for nigh on two years.

Felldoh
June 4th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Hmm... we have tons of squirrels roaming around our yard, and whenever I see one I can't help but think "Felldoh". :D I've never seen any alive otters, but since our school mascot is an otter, I see tons of pictures and the usual anthropomorphic otter mascot plastered everywhere. I've seen a few ferrets, but they've all been pets. I've never seen a live fox... but we did have a bat in our old house.

Kediassa
June 4th, 2004, 03:28 PM
I've raised rats before, so I've seen rats. I've also seen an american badger (nothing great). I've seen a fox before. Mice live in my house, so I see them all the time. And I've seen two owls together before. :D I'm also getting a ferret: I see the ferret I'm going to get everyone now and then.

Cheesethief
June 4th, 2004, 04:46 PM
hmm. i got a hamster, a white rabbit, a guinea pig (possible redwall character?) and a cat. i see mice, moles, rats, uk badgers (moles and badgers here are nicer looking than us ones) foxes, otters, stoats, weasels, seabirds, birds of prey, squirrels, bats, etc.

Slagar the Cruel
June 4th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Here's my Top 16 list of Redwall books:

1. Mattimeo
2. Taggerung
3. Mossflower
4. Pearls of Lutra
5. The Long Patrol
6. Outcast of Redwall
7. Salamandastron
8. Redwall
9. Mariel of Redwall
10. Legend of Luke
11. Loamhedge
12. Lord Brocktree
13. Triss
14. Marlfox
15. The Bellmaker
16. Martin the Warrior

Cheesethief
June 5th, 2004, 06:29 AM
er...maybe the wrong topic. and yeh, there are only 16 :lol: . and why do you hate mtw?

LadyBeelze
June 5th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Hmm In the wild i've seen badgers, foxes, squirrels, mice, rabbits, and owls. And in captivity i've seen hamsters, ferrets, otters, rats and seals. Haven't seen a mole before though :(

Grath
June 5th, 2004, 12:15 PM
I've seen foxes, otters, mice, ferrets.

I have never seen a badger but I really want to see one

I had a vole living in my window well last summer and I don't know what happened to it it just disappeared, it might have died during the winter or something :(

Cheesethief
June 5th, 2004, 03:12 PM
bats live in my roof. as do several thousand honey bees.
badgers are so cool, theyre huge, majestic things.

Cinnabarr Rivershell
June 5th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Hey! Guess what I saw today! I'm sssoooo excited that I saw not one, but two sparrows today!!!! Aren't sparrows just sooooo cool!!!

Oh. Wait I see sparrows everyday.......:o
Well whatever!

Hey! Guess what I saw today! I'm sssoooo excited that I saw not one, but three crows/ravens today!!!!! Aren't they just sooooo cool!!!

Oh. Wait I see them almost everyday.....:o Well whatever!

Goddess of Darkness
June 8th, 2004, 10:16 AM
My best friend has rats...two of them named Merry and Pippin (go Pippin!)...I'm getting two rats next weekend...I'm gonna call them Galadriel and Morgen (morning)...and we used to have around 10 rats living in our roof, but they're dead now...*sniff* I love rats.

Cheesethief
June 8th, 2004, 03:19 PM
when im in my rooom i can hear rats in the attic. i think my hamster can too. aometimes he squeaks, which is kinda freaky.

Goddess of Darkness
June 8th, 2004, 06:52 PM
I can hear them too...rats, I mean...we call them the upstairs neighbors...CEL

Grath
June 10th, 2004, 04:17 PM
A few years ago I was hanging out at a friends house and we were walking up the stairs when we noticed that her cat was swatting something. Suddenly a mouse ran between my feet. We all freaked out and called her father who did not come in time because we lost it and could not figure out where it went. A few days later her father found it in his bedroom and tried to catch it with a bucket, sadly he accidentally caught him between the rim of his bucket and broke the mouses back :(

We also had a few baby bunnies living under our porch, most of them died though because one wandered into the nieghbors garage and was found dead a few days later. Another they tried to keep but would not eat and of course died. Yeah that family is not good with rodents. :(

On a lighter note I used to have two hamsters and one lived for a long time before she died of old age. boy those things are smelly.

Cheesethief
June 11th, 2004, 01:23 PM
well, they do when you clean them out every month or two.:o

Slagar the Cruel
June 11th, 2004, 03:11 PM
er...maybe the wrong topic.
:lol: Wow, sorry. Major accident.

Delhome
June 16th, 2004, 03:12 PM
I found a whole tribe o' foxes livin bout 3.5 miles from me house. I nick named one Plugg

Felldoh
June 17th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Lucky...

Now that I think about it more, one of the random squirrels in our yard looks like the TV version of Sam.

Senav
June 17th, 2004, 06:53 PM
So we're naming local animals after characters now, eh? It always amuses me to see a little kid walk into a pet store and start calling all the animals by name. See the little girl peek into the hamster cage and say "Hamtaro!"

Who else thinks Hamtaro is a weird name?

Chesk Otter
June 30th, 2004, 10:30 PM
I always eat the animals before I can get a good look at them.

Cheesethief
July 2nd, 2004, 04:44 PM
er, i saw a red squirrel yesterday on camp in lagganlia. theyre rare. in that area they had wildcats otters, pine martens and other animals.

Cinnabarr Rivershell
July 2nd, 2004, 06:04 PM
Up at my Boy Scout camp, we have mountain lions, but they are seldom seen unless you go hiking up into the hills deep in the camp. Oh, and we have rattlesnakes up there too, and last year one of them came into the Mountain Man area of camp and they had to kill it. After they killed it they had to chop off its head and burn it in a fire because aparently thats what you're supose to do and then they gave the body of the snake to the rancher, who said that he was going to make a belt out of its skin. Aren't we boy scouts so caring for our environment and its innocent creatures.

granola woodsworth
July 3rd, 2004, 01:06 AM
Hmm... I have seen squirrels, ferrets, rats, mice, hedgehogs, sparrows, owls, and snakes.
However, in my life I have never encountered a badger, stoat, pine marten, weasel, or mole...

:shades:

Felldoh
July 7th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Hmm... it was a bit different then most encounters so far, but I was playing Final Fantasy Tactics and I came upon a Samurai named Tess and it made me think of Tess from Redwall/Mattimeo. Also, I was in a battle at Zirekile Falls, I had a generic Lancer I created and named after Felldoh, Ramza, and Reis. Reis was an archer and I had her stand at the top of the falls and snipe downward with her longbow, Felldoh threw javelins, and Ramza threw stones. The battle also made me think of Redwall at the time.

Edit: I also remember coming across a Constance, Luke, Tim (To go with Tess), and probably some more I forgot.