PDA

View Full Version : Ronald Reagan RIP

Baby Rollo
June 7th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Terrible news. Ronald Reagan really was a great president. He got gradual tax cuts, brought a 20-year boom to the economy, and he ended the cold war. He's my favorite Republican President along with Abraham Lincoln and George Bush current.

Martin the Warrior
June 7th, 2004, 09:41 PM
It was, indeed, terrible news. Ronald Reagan was, arguably, the greatest modern President and he will be missed.

Slagar the Cruel
June 7th, 2004, 09:52 PM
Yes, sad news indeed. But considering that he was 93 years old and suffering severe memory loss as a result of Alzheimer's disease, I think it's safe to say that it was his time to go. Nevertheless, he was one of America's better presidents and his country (most of it, anyways) will remember him fondly.

Keyla
June 8th, 2004, 03:54 AM
I'm sorry to hear that. From what I have seen on the news and heard in forums he will be remembered fondly by his people.

Delhome
June 8th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Have yall heard what the editor of the New York Times wrote about Ronald?
He profited from good timing and good luck, coming along when the country was tired of the dour pedantry of the Carter administration, wounded by the Iranian hostage crisis, frustrated by rising unemployment and unyielding inflation. Mr. Reagan's stubborn refusal to accept the permanence of Communism helped end the cold war. He was fortunate to have as his counterpart Mikhail Gorbachev, a Soviet leader ready to acknowledge his society's failings and interested in reducing international tensions. New York Times editorals. I just sent an e-mail to them that would not be, uh, seen as very nice at all, if you get my drift.

Mackinsie
June 8th, 2004, 10:53 AM
:rolleyes: A person could discover a cure for cancer and the Times would write an editorial complaining that it took too long.

I was very sad to hear about Ronald Reagan's passing. He leaves behind an impressive legacy and a country that is much better off due to his leadership. He will be missed. :(

Cheesethief
June 8th, 2004, 10:55 AM
he sounds like a good president. kinda a fitting time t go, during the d day + 60.

The Red Badger
June 8th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Only the New York Times. :rolleyes:

Cheesethief. . . there's no such thing as a "fitting time to go".

The world lost a great President.

LordTBT
June 8th, 2004, 10:05 PM
I'm in complete shock that Rollo started this thread.

And yes, its terrible. Very sad.

Slagar the Cruel
June 8th, 2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by The Red Badger
You'd prefer it if everyone lived forever? :confused:

Rimrose
June 9th, 2004, 10:21 AM
In a word, yes.

It is very sad. I always liked Ronald Reagan. I pray that the next few days are not too difficult for his family and friends.

Baby Rollo
June 9th, 2004, 02:31 PM
I'm in complete shock that Rollo started this thread.

Wow. That was just...wow.

The Red Badger
June 9th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Slagar the Cruel

That has nothing to do with it (even if I don't see the problem beyond the eventual population count). When somebody dies, they should be mourned. The world should weep. Saying "it was a good time to die" strikes me as being incredibly callous and insensitive.

Wow. That was just...wow.

Don't take it to heart, Rollo. He just thought you lived on the other side of the street and he didn't know there was a crosswalk. :cool:

LordTBT
June 9th, 2004, 03:10 PM
He just thought you lived on the other side of the street and he didn't know there was a crosswalk.

If we're being analogous, normally I stick with the neighbors on my side of the street :D

Delhome
June 10th, 2004, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by The Red Badger

Yes there is. You'll die when God says it's your time. Not before, nor after.

Grath
June 10th, 2004, 03:08 PM
I was too young to remember him being president but it was sad when I heard that he died and I was at a graduation party too. What a way to upset a party. He will surely be missed.

Cheesethief
June 11th, 2004, 12:42 PM
exactly. im not callous. he was a gi in the war and d day seemed a good time to leave.
if everyone lived forever it would be rubbish. just full, and boring.

Baby Rollo
June 11th, 2004, 09:13 PM
exactly. im not callous. he was a gi in the war and d day seemed a good time to leave.

The statement was still callous. You don't go around telling people, "Oh he died this specific day that was significant what a coinky-dink. I guess I'll go insult his memory by saying what a fitting time to die". If anything, that kind of talk should be kept in your own thoughts or in private.

I think we should strwy away from religion. We dont talk about G-Dash-D in here too much ;)

Cheesethief
June 13th, 2004, 11:03 AM
hey, get off my back! im sorry ok? in fact i apologise on behalf of...myself to the american nation.

Matthias of Redwall
June 13th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Oh, that is real sad news, my grandfather was 105 when he pass on. I have no idea how he managed to survive a century and five years. All he wanted, he used to say, that he will pass on, after see all his friends go before him, he said it is torture to live on alone. I kinda feel sorry for him. Oh, here is one piece of local rurmor: the gas price here decreased a bit because of Reagan pass away.

Russus Robur
June 13th, 2004, 04:07 PM
President Regan was a great man, I been watching all the event this past week paying tribute to him. I was really moved during the Sunset burial on Friday. Specially when they played tap, it reminded me of my dads funeral and when Nancy Regan broke down and cried with her family around her. She really loved him.:(

Furrtil
June 13th, 2004, 04:14 PM
May he rest in peace.

I'm not old enough to remember him as president. Hum. I wish the best of luck to his family.

The Red Badger
June 13th, 2004, 06:14 PM
The sunset funeral was very touching. I especially liked Michael's speech.

Different thing. That's the time you go, not saying whether it's good or bad.

If a relative of mine were to die tomorrow, if I see on the news that a mother has drowned her own children, that a husband has killed his wife and stuffed her body in the refrigerator, that a two month old child got pneumonia and died, that a mother of three was killed in an accident with a drunk driver, or that someone was struck and killed by lightning, my faith tells me to believe that God has a plan for them and He called them to Him. That He was ready for them. But, that does not make the time they left us nor the fact that they left us "fitting" or "good".

I feel strongly that saying such is incredibly callous.

And, Cheesethief, there is a difference between calling *somebody* callous and calling something they *said* callous. I did the latter, not the former.

Matthias of Redwall
June 15th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Well according to you Redsy, it sounds like war time is a major "soul calling day". Imagine a harvest of innocent soul crowding into the gateway of the haven...