PDA

View Full Version : Favourite opening chapter...

Keyla
June 8th, 2004, 04:03 AM
I was just curious to find out what people's favourite opening chapter is, not prologue, introduction and part where the storyteller is introduced.

At the moment I'd have to go for that for "Loamhedge"; it still gets me on the edge of my seat, even though I know what's going to happen. The description is also very fine and there is a very tangable atmosphere.

"Mariel of Redwall" and "The Pearls of Lutra" have very effective opening parts.

Nora the Rover
June 8th, 2004, 09:26 AM
I've always loved the opening chapter of Mossflower. It's very well described; the bitter winter weather, Kotir, and the character of Martin the Warrior as he arrives in Mossflower. It's always been my favorite.

Slagar the Cruel
June 8th, 2004, 10:07 AM
I have to go with Mossflower as well. First there is a vivid description of Martin the Warrior, in the previous book only a legend but now alive and in the flesh. Then there is a display of the kind of treatment which the woodlanders must suffer. Finally we get a taste of Martin's legendary fighting ability... but still only through the words of other creatures, leaving us to wonder what he'd be like in a real (fully-described) battle. It sets up the book very nicely.

Delhome
June 8th, 2004, 10:15 AM
I liked the opening chapter of Triss and Redwall it self.

Cheesethief
June 8th, 2004, 02:25 PM
a toss-up between redwall and mossflower. i lked the "Cluny was coming nearer!" bit.
oh yeah, a while back the library at school was refurbished. they threw out loads of old books, but also the first editions of redwall i had grew up reading. so i had to fork out to reread them. they had a version of redwall i have never seen apart from then:
http://www.longpatrolclub.com/images/bookshelf/redwall/redplate.jpg
chucked away. *sniff* in mint condition too.

Grath
June 8th, 2004, 04:07 PM
My favorite opening chapter is in The Bellmaker. I liked how he told about Urgan Nagru and his urge to get away from the winter. I also liked Lord Brocktrees opening even though the rest of the story was not as good.
Also I found Taggerungs beginning cool because you meet the ferret and the fox sorry forgot their names, and how the ant swam I thought it was very interesting.

Cheesethief
June 9th, 2004, 04:36 AM
yep, tagg was good.

Keyla
June 10th, 2004, 11:27 AM
The opening of "(The) Taggerung" quite impressed me, not least because I was interested in what was going on even though I knew what was going to happen from the blurb of the book. The characters and the situation built up to the kidnapping very effectively and had real flare. The ant swimming always intrigued me, as I could see several possible meanings: that the Taggerung was an otter; that he would survive even after leaving the tribe, not drowning, in spite of the fact that Sawney thought that Tagg could have no existance but as Taggerung and that without that he was nothing. It established the mood rather well too.

Cheesethief
June 11th, 2004, 12:22 PM
i didnt like the opening of mattimeo. it was...trying to copy redwall, and didnt succeed.