PDA

View Full Version : "Rakkety Tam" blurb with new info...

Keyla
June 15th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Well I thought things had been a bit quiet for the last couple of weeks on the new book front ;) so I went and checked of Barnes and Noble (http://www.barnesandnoble.com) and found this new blurb from the publishers. While it is quite short and much of it we know already, there are a few interesting points:

The most captivating Redwall novel yet!

There has never been a Redwall hero quite like Rakkety Tam, the roguish Highlander squirrel who sets off for Mossflower Wood on a mercenary errand and loses his heart to the charms of Redwall Abbey. And there's never been a villain quite like Gulo the Savage: a vicious beast-eating wolverine who descends upon the Abbey in search of a relic called the Walking Stone. Readers will cheer at the return of the Long Patrol, the antics of a renegade vole thief, and the emergence of a new champion to wield the sword of Martin.

As fans of Brian Jacques and the bestselling Redwall series know, the adventures just keep getting bigger and better.

Suspiscions that the Walking Stone is some kind of relic are confirmed. It seems rather interesting that Rakkety is on a mercenary errand; previous information had seemed to suggest that he had left the service of the squirrelking. Perhaps he is under someone else's command but there is nothing to support that. The renegade vole thief sounds rather interesting, though I'm finding it hard to imagine how he links to the general plot. Has he stolen the Walking Stone?

Any thoughts?

Chelki Sureshot
June 15th, 2004, 11:01 AM
the roguish Highlander squirrel who sets off for Mossflower Wood on a mercenary errand Hmm. . .Maybe he was still working for the king when he was on the errand. And after he meets the honest beasts of Redwall, he decides that the king can't be trusted.
a vicious beast-eating wolverine Ick! Does he mean, like, birds or something, or his own comrades?
renegade vole thief, Hope that's girl. There doesn't sound like there's very many in the book.
Walking Stone. Sounds like the Black Stone.
return of the Long Patrol, **cheers** Yes, finally! 100 hares, all ready to do battle! The last book that actually had hares in it, was Lord Brocktree, and that came out ages ago!
hard to imagine how he links to the general plot **Shrugs** how does anybody? You can't really give away too much imformation about a thief without giving us the whole story.

That's all for my thoughts. Except for there had better be a girl. With all these boys, BJ's starting to sound a little sexist. **grumbles to herself**

Cheesethief
June 15th, 2004, 11:03 AM
what about the pretty squirrel maidens?

Keyla
June 15th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Ick! Does he mean, like, birds or something, or his own comrades?
From earlier info. it seemed to be that he feasts on the flesh of his enemies. Not a pleasant fellow from the sound of things.

what about the pretty squirrel maidens?
I imagine Gulo kidnapps them when he's at Redwall Abbey.

Cheesethief
June 15th, 2004, 11:09 AM
at redwall? and i was pointoing them out cos of the "sexism" thing.

Keyla
June 15th, 2004, 11:15 AM
What sexism thing? The fact that they appear to be falling into the role of damsels in distress suggests to me that Brian's going to overturn expectation.

Cheesethief
June 15th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Hope that's girl. There doesn't sound like there's very many in the book.
that.

Felldoh
June 15th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Sounds interesting. Squirrel heros are always good. :D

Chelki Sureshot
June 15th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Cheesethief
what about the pretty squirrel maidens? **wrinkles her nose** Forgot about them. So now we have two girls, and, **counts on her fingers** 5 boys, not including the Badger Lord. I'm almost certain he'll be a boy. Mayber there'll be some girl officers. . .Squirrles don't count. Really, they're prissy little. . .girly girls. Yeah, that's it. Besides Triss, of course.

Sandstripe the Wild
June 15th, 2004, 09:24 PM
What about Jess, Songbreeze, and Jukka, etc...

LordTBT
June 16th, 2004, 12:01 AM
I imagine Gulo kidnapps them when he's at Redwall Abbey.

No that was me. oh wait.

Keyla
June 16th, 2004, 10:12 AM
**wrinkles her nose** Forgot about them. So now we have two girls, and, **counts on her fingers** 5 boys, not including the Badger Lord. I'm almost certain he'll be a boy. Mayber there'll be some girl officers. . .Squirrles don't count. Really, they're prissy little. . .girly girls. Yeah, that's it. Besides Triss, of course.
Compared to the first books in the series Brian has had a pretty even gender balance in more recent books, so I doubt you'll feel the book is terribly male dominated. 5 boys? I can only scrape together 4 confimed male characters, Rakkety, Doogie, Gulo and his brother, although the fact that he has only been mentioned in the giant blurb downplays his importance in my mind.
As for the badger ruler being male we could be jumping the gun here: while nothing has said for definate that there is none, it seems odd that one hasn't at least been mentioned in one of the blurbs we've got thus far. We know that the Long Patrol is quite heavily involved in the plot, but that doesn't mean that the mountain isn't in between leaders as it has been in parts of previous books, though I would quite enjoy seeing Salamandastron in action with only hares to lead the forces.

Element_man
June 16th, 2004, 06:04 PM
I can't wait for this book. As soon as I heard to words 'Wolverine', and 'Mercenary,' my ears immediately perked up. I hope that this Rakkety Tam brings out another new area of the Redwall country.

Martin the Warrior
June 16th, 2004, 08:42 PM
I'll have to get that up on the Newsline when I add another summary I've been sitting on. Just as a treat for all you forum-goers, though, here it is in advance. ;)

A threatening presence has arrived on the shores of the peaceful Mossflower Valley, heading for Redwall Abbey. Gulo the Savage has a vendetta to fulfil and with his crew of vermin he is going to reclaim the magical Walking Stone. Two warrior squirrels Wild Doogy Plumm and Rakkety Tam MacBurl head up the brave animals defending their Abbey. An epic tale in the Redwall saga full of courage and comradeship.

Also yet-to-be-posted is the fact that Amazon.co.uk has changed the listing for the UK release date to October 7th, 2004. Now, I'm not one to say "I told you so", but.... ::innocent whistle:: (http://forums.longpatrolclub.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1114)

This'll all be up on the Newsline in a few hours, so enjoy the scoop while it lasts. ;)

Cheesethief
June 17th, 2004, 12:10 PM
stuff amazon. ill order it on the net or go to the whs where i got loamhedge early...

Felldoh
June 17th, 2004, 03:44 PM
I hope its American release date won't be pushed back too much...

Senav
June 17th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Hee-e-ey! New summary? I'm still recovering from the fact that there's a wolverine bad guy.
But hey, mercenaries are cool. Even if they do turn good at the sight of our dear Abbey.

Martin the Warrior
June 17th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Just thought I'd mention, for those who didn't read the Newsline article, that the October 7th release date is up on Penguin's site as well, so it's likely the official UK street date. It's possible some outlets might put it out a week or two early like they did with Loamhedge, but I wouldn't count on it.

The US date doesn't look affected at all.

Felldoh
June 18th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Thats good... but I'll still wait for the paperback to buy it... close to $30 a book is not exactly something I'd like to do.

Cheesethief
June 19th, 2004, 04:00 PM
ha! 30 us dollars? its like, i got it for 8.99! and in canada itll be like 50 dollars!
and where is this british cover? i liked the new triss too.

Chelki Sureshot
June 20th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Forgot about Jukka. I was thinking Treerose. But then again, Jukka didn't live at the abbey, did she? Nor did Jess; maybe there's somethink in the food that affects only the squirrels. As fokr the other guy, you forgot Abbot Humble.

Element_man
June 20th, 2004, 04:23 PM
50 bucks Canadian?! (I'm Canadian)

That can't be right. When loamhenge came out in hardcover over here, it was only around 30 dollars.

Cheesethief
June 21st, 2004, 02:03 PM
oh...well i think a dollar canadian is like 40p or something?

Felldoh
June 21st, 2004, 03:35 PM
You're lucky Cheese... I just hope the library gets it soon after its release, though I'm not counting on it.

Cheesethief
June 21st, 2004, 05:49 PM
splash out and buy it or chelki-no-spoilers will reveal what happens!

Element_man
June 21st, 2004, 06:41 PM
oh...well i think a dollar canadian is like 40p or something? 40 Pence?

A good estimation is around:

1 Pound = 2.2 Canadian dollars.

Sandstripe the Wild
June 21st, 2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Element_man
40 Pence?

Hold on, you know how to convert British currency? Can you convert it into American dollars please?

Element_man
June 21st, 2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Sandstripe the Wild
Hold on, you know how to convert British currency? Can you convert it into American dollars please?

1 USD is about equal to 1.5 CAN. Give or take a decmial place.

Cheesethief
June 22nd, 2004, 08:14 AM
1USD=54.66 pence.

40 Pence?

yes- 40p.:p

Element_man
June 22nd, 2004, 11:47 AM
1USD=54.66 pence.

yes- 40p.:p Now that I look at it, yes it does make sense.

Cheesethief
June 23rd, 2004, 06:10 AM
:lol:
is there actually a uk cover for rak tam yet?

Trowbaggs
June 29th, 2004, 10:26 PM
I dont think there is yet. Why is it coming out in America first if Brian Jaques lives in the U.K

Martin the Warrior
June 30th, 2004, 11:33 AM
The main reason seems to be that Brian's UK publisher changed following The Taggerung, while the US publisher remained the same (and, in fact, the same publisher now handles both). The goal is to have a simultaneous release date, but that seems too tricky for them to ever actually work out. :p

Senav
June 30th, 2004, 06:50 PM
I've given up remembering release dates. I just walk into the bookstore with enough money to buy a hardcover book. Simple, yet effective.
I just wish hardcovers weren't so expensive. I don't like paying all that, but I'm too impatient to wait for the softcover. And these new American hardcovers are bigger than the British ones *whine complain moan...*

Trowbaggs
June 30th, 2004, 07:23 PM
I have a book store in my town. The Redwall books are cheap there. I bought the hard cover of Loamhedge for $16. I also have a question. I live in the states so I'll get Rakkety Tam in September. But what about the people in the U.K. Can they buy the American edition when it comes out in September. Or do they have to wait until it comes out in the U.K in October? Is there much difference between them?

Martin the Warrior
June 30th, 2004, 08:17 PM
And these new American hardcovers are bigger than the British ones *whine complain moan...*

You'd be complaining either way, then. ;) The American hardcovers have remained consistent since the initial release of Redwall in 1987 (a year after its UK debut). However, with the publisher change and Triss, the UK hardcovers increased in size beyond the US editions, making them the largest of the bunch. Granted I only have Triss to go by, but I assume Loamhedge followed suit.

I will admit, I did like the compactness of the Random House UK hardcovers.

Can they buy the American edition when it comes out in September. Or do they have to wait until it comes out in the U.K in October? Is there much difference between them?

They'd be able to order the US edition online via Amazon.com or other booksellers easily and have it shipped to them. They wouldn't be able to go out to a local store and get the US copy, though, no.

As for the differences-- there's a slight size difference (as previously noted) with the UK editions being a little bit larger. They'll boast different cover art (drawn by the esteemed David Wyatt). And they'll use the UK style of quotation marks--

'Don't go that way!' she said.

...instead of...

"Don't go that way!" she said.

Not that hard a change to get used to. Beyond that, they're virtually the same.

Cheesethief
July 2nd, 2004, 04:37 PM
what?! dodgy quotation marks?
i ordered the ribbajack off redwall.org, but ill wait for rak tam on uk cover in the shops. which is better than us cover. i won twelve pounds book tokens (about $20) so ill use that.

Cinnabarr Rivershell
July 5th, 2004, 01:28 AM
i ordered the ribbajack off redwall.org, but ill wait for rak tam on uk cover in the shops.
In that case Cheese, you better be careful on the forum when RT comes out in the US cause there are a lot of people on this forum who have no manners and go posting things that give away plots in books, instead of simply and easily putting them into spoiler tags. Don't worry Chelki Sureshot, I won't name any names.

Cheesethief
July 5th, 2004, 10:31 AM
woh. watch out for the scribes cinn, they have darky on their side. *shudders* well, im not actually that bothered about when someone spoils a book YOW cinn, what was that for? oh, right...i am really bothered about this...yes...
no, i would hate rak tam to be spoiled for me in reality. so please dont if you can help it. if/when martin makes a subforum i am stayin out of it.

Keyla
July 5th, 2004, 01:48 PM
I just though I'd do my civic duty and update you all with a blurb I picked up over at the UK Amazon site:

A dark force is rampaging through the forests of Mossflower. Gulo the Savage, wolverine, flesh-eater and brutal killer, has come across the seas in search of his brother, Askor. Askor stole the famous walking stone that will make one of them king of the lands of ice and snow - and Gulo wants it back. Anybeast who gets in Gulo's way is dead meat. Literally. Rakkety Tam McBurl is a brave border warrior, travelled south in search of adventure. But when his army is attacked by Gulo's flesh-eating band, adventure finds him. Gulo is heading for the ancient Redwall Abbey - and Rakkety Tam is determined not to let the savage Gulo destroy the peaceful ways of Redwall.

It's nice to finally get his brother's name and to see theories over a royal squabble over the throne confirmed. However, I'm curious as to how the two Redwall maids and the abbey itself fit into all of this. Has the abbey taken in Askor, perhaps not knowing his real identity and the significance of the trinket he carries with him?
There also seems to be an interesting implication that Rakkety is part of some bigger group after he has left the foolish squirrelking. Were there more beasts than he and Doogie leaving the unworthy monarch? Or, perhaps, have they joined a roaming band of mercenaries?
Hmmm... There seem to be a lot of interesting pieces to this jigsaw, but it's hard to get an idea of what the coherant tale will be like as it is hard to know what order things in the different blurbs take place, whether they cause eachother and what other thus far unknown things occur as well meaning this all makes sense.

Martin the Warrior
July 6th, 2004, 02:19 AM
Thanks for passing along that blurb, Keyla. I'll have to get it up. :) (tomorrow, though, it's getting rather late.)

In that case Cheese, you better be careful on the forum when RT comes out in the US cause there are a lot of people on this forum who have no manners and go posting things that give away plots in books, instead of simply and easily putting them into spoiler tags.

In case you missed it when I explained the spoiler policy, Cinnabarr, all books except the most recent are allowed to be discussed in The Bookshelf. Newer books are restricted to sub-forum spoiler zones until their paperback edition has hit bookshelves. Ergo, Rakkety Tam will replace the Loamhedge subforum in September and will not be allowed to be discussed in the main forum until August/September of next year.

Cinnabarr Rivershell
July 6th, 2004, 02:51 AM
I know that Martin, but there are still people out there that forget these things and accidentally post things that give away plots. I know that there is nothing that can be done about that, but it happens. So like you siad a while back, that if you wish not to get plots given away casue of that Fandom stuff, then you better wait a while till you have read the books, then come on the forums and talk about it.

Glenner
July 9th, 2004, 01:54 AM
Wow, sounds like it'll be and insteresting book! Rakety Tamm McBurl? Now thats a name I can grow to like.;) His name sounds much better with the "McBurl" attatched to it. And of course, anything with wolverines in it has got to be good.

Keyla
July 15th, 2004, 08:38 AM
However, with the publisher change and Triss, the UK hardcovers increased in size beyond the US editions, making them the largest of the bunch. Granted I only have Triss to go by, but I assume Loamhedge followed suit.

I will admit, I did like the compactness of the Random House UK hardcovers.

Yes, not quite so easy to hold. It's the kind of size I lay down on my bed and sit over rather than lie on my back and hold in the air. However, the dustcover material seems more glossy and durable on the new hardcovers, meaning my copies of "Triss" and "Loamhedge" don't have the rips and rough edges my copy of "Marlfox" does. Now this could be due to my having the latter longer, but in truth I have used it far less, after I bought the softcover copy of "Marlfox" when I noticed what was happening to the dustcover. We got the best of both worlds with "The Angel's Command", the smaller size and the better material.

I thought it might be of interest to mention that a 12 CD unabridged recording "Rakkety Tam" has appeared over at "Barnes and Noble":

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=R18iGLd9Xo&isbn=141931243X&fmt=AU&itm=1

Oddly enough the publishing date for this seems to be prior to that of the novel itself. Surely this is an error on the site's part. Still, if it isn't it's a rather expensive means of a sneak peak, though I think the price is fair for the product itself.

Cheesethief
July 18th, 2004, 07:24 AM
wow...15 is fair. but does it have to be 12 cds?

Martin the Warrior
July 18th, 2004, 08:00 PM
To be unabridged, yes. An abridged version could probably be fit onto two CDs.

Cinnabarr Rivershell
July 18th, 2004, 10:50 PM
True. But who wants to have an abridged version?

Keyla
July 19th, 2004, 07:01 AM
I do like listening to my abridged versions on tape but I know I'd much prefer hearing the unabridged ones. Sadly, up until now at least, I have only been able to buy abridged cassette versions in the UK and they're pretty hard to get one's mits on.
Thirteen and a half hours sounds like about the right length to fit onto twelve CDs, just over an hour on each. Just surfing arond B&N a bit I've found the lengths for other unabridged "Tales of Redwall" on CD with their British page count in brackets:

"Redwall": 10 hours, 45 minutes. (416)

"Mattimeo": 13 hours, 30 minutes. (446)

"Taggerung": 12 hours, 45 minutes. (437)

"Loamhedge": 13 hours, 30 minutes. (424)

"Mossflower": 11 hours, 45 minutes. (431)

"Martin the Warrior": 10 hours. (375)

"Triss": 12 hours, 15 minutes. (402)

"Castaways of the Flying Dutchman": 8 hours, 15 minutes. (327)

"The Angel's Command": 11 hours. (374)

Now while the hour:page ratio does seem to have increased with more recent books- perhaps they use more souneffects and music- the fact that "Rakkety Tam" has the same recording length as "Mattimeo" and "Loamhedge" is certainly positive and would seem to suggest that the figure of 432 pages, as given by B&N, is far more probable than other lower figure, which seemed to hover around the 380 mark.

I hope we get another cover by Sean Rubin of "Terrouge" and "redwall.org" fame. His work is invariably excellent and it's great to see members of the ROC getting involved with the publishing of the books on such an artistic level.

Cheesethief
July 19th, 2004, 02:42 PM
wow. i read loamhedge in what, a few hours? taking my time. i read hp4 in like, three or less.

Cinnabarr Rivershell
July 20th, 2004, 01:43 AM
Danga!!!! Cheese, you're just like my friend who reads books in a flash. I'm a slow reader. My mom is a fast reader, but my dad, who does read a lot, is slower than me. So I guess, I inherited my slow reading from him.

Cheesethief
July 20th, 2004, 06:54 AM
yeh i can read pretty fast apparently. but i do take it all in. when i read hp4 my dad said "thats a bit of a waste. if you havent read it properly then youll be in trouble (or something like that)" so he gave me a kind of quiz, and i got everything right.

Trowbaggs
July 20th, 2004, 09:55 AM
My mom reads really fast to. she read a 1500 page book in 2 days. I am a moderatly slow reader. I like to read at night with the lights turned off and my booklight on. That's when my imagination works best.

Cinnabarr Rivershell
July 21st, 2004, 12:23 AM
That's very good Cheese. Some people do read books too fast and they forget things that happen. Most of my friends, who read the same books as me, but much faster, forget most of the story of the book in about a year. I on the other hand remember books that I have read from four years ago.

Cheesethief
July 21st, 2004, 03:33 PM
i remember the storyline of "the little porridge bowl". now that is good ;) . thankyou for your compliment cinn.
trow, i used to read with a book light, but it broke. have to go to borders soon. youre right about imagination. i keep thinking i hear my door open. *shivers* well, it is a georgian house...