PDA

View Full Version : The Ribbajack reviewed by Cheese

Cheesethief
June 16th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Sorry TBT, had to do that. Anyway, I ordered it before anyone else on the web and it arrived yesterday. So, I ripped open the envelope...and got down to reading.
First of all, I noticed most of the stories were set a fair time in the past. Several could've been set in America two, though it is unlikely. The length was also erratic. In case you didn't know, there were six stories, several were long, but a few (namely Rosie's Pet) were too short. Also, the main characters were mostly in their teens. Anyway, here's the review.

THE RIBBAJACK- A good story. possibly ripping off Harry Potter, but knowingly so. Set in the 30s. Mysteries, such as Archibald's parents, and the rubies, added to the flavour. The Sky Pilot was great, and I liked the tales of The East. The Ribbajack didn't make much of an impact though. Quite long. About 8/10.

A SMILE AND A WAVE- Spooky. The only really scary one. Very short, but good. Liked the twist at the end. Again, lots of strange mysteries. You must read it through a few times to understand. 7 or 8/10.

THE ALL IRELAND CHAMPION VERSUS THE NYE ADD- Funny! Very jolly, narrated with an Irish accent t'be sure. One of my favourites. I would give it 9/10. Can't post much else without spoilers.

THE MYSTERY OF HUMA D'ESTE- Well, I figured it out. Very satisfying to read. Again, rather short, but full of life (:lol:) Again, a good twist. Only 6/10 for others, but I loved it.

MIGGY MAGS AND THE MALABAR SAILOR- Enjoyed it. Set in Brian's home town. Ingenious. One for younger readers. It was witty, comparable to The One With The Small Girl in SSAGT. I liked the cook. 9/10.

ROSIE'S PET- Too short. By far. Clever story, which I liked. Probably 10/10, but for the length. It was stuffed with energy, rumbling along furiously. Loved it.

Felldoh
June 16th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Nice review Cheese man! It makes me interested in reading them. Do tell though, you said A Smile and a Wave was freaky, but was it as freaky as the Silent Hill series? :D Just gotta wonder when one says something is freaky.

Rillflag27
June 16th, 2004, 07:52 PM
To Cheese, a rock is freaky. j/k. ;) I can't wait to get it....once I have enough money after buying all my paintball stuff.

LordTBT
June 16th, 2004, 08:08 PM
Sorry TBT, had to do that

Yeah I was gonna say

Delhome
June 16th, 2004, 08:24 PM
I like chickens Eddy.:D

Cheesethief
June 17th, 2004, 12:08 PM
I like chickens Eddy.
erm...

rocks arent scary...there was one though that looked like a dinosaur once when i was like 7...i do paintball too rill!

and fell, trust me it is spooky, like silent hill. the smell described...

Felldoh
June 17th, 2004, 03:27 PM
I gotta read it now. :D Just gotta wait till the library gets it.

Cheesethief
June 18th, 2004, 01:29 PM
yeh, but it probably wont be for a bit unless you live near a decent one.:lol:

Felldoh
June 18th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Considering their newest book by Brian is Loamhedge, I don't expect much.

Cheesethief
June 19th, 2004, 03:58 PM
huh, libraries. once i asked for lord brocktree and got salamandastron. they practically forced it on me! but they are a good service t have.

Chesk Otter
June 30th, 2004, 10:35 PM
I looked at this in the bookstore not expecting much but it looked surprisingly good. I didn't buy it though. The style was kind of different from the Redwall series but it looked interesting. He should write other non-Redwall books besides Castaways (if he has time).

Cheesethief
July 2nd, 2004, 04:46 PM
Urso Brunov
Seven Strange and Ghostly Tales
The Ribbajack
etc

Chesk Otter
July 2nd, 2004, 06:03 PM
No, long books (like Redwall and Castaways).

Cheesethief
July 3rd, 2004, 05:52 AM
fair enough. but i couldnt imagine a whole different set of stories by brian. it would be weird and expensive (i gotta have em all) and it would probably be a bit silly. but maybe he could do redwall spinoffs, not like the tribes books or the childrens ones but a series of adventures to fill in some of the gaps, like longer versions of the redwall warriors code.