PDA

View Full Version : School Musical!

Gabool the Wild
November 24th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Our High School is putting on the famous Broadway musical, "Guys and Dolls" and guess who got a part! Moi! So it's only the part of a gambler, its a part nonetheless. Besides, it gives me experience for future years. Anyway, most of the people who got lead parts are seniors so when they leave, I have a better oppertunity for getting a speaking part next year, right?

Cale Yin
November 24th, 2002, 12:27 PM
I don't know how these things work, but it SHOULD be that whoever can do the part best gets it. Seniors will have had more experience. Our school is doing "You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown," which I was supposed to see but went to see Harry Potter instead. Our school musicals are always great.

dandin1
November 24th, 2002, 01:59 PM
Your school has musicals? God your lucky! We don't even have an auditorium...

Lord Servone
November 24th, 2002, 06:25 PM
We were SUPPOSED to have a musical later this year but I think the choir teacher chickened out of it....she can't even put together our regular concerts right :\

We will, however, have a school play. I'm in fine arts club so I should get a part...I'm also probably the only person who is pursuing a career in acting as well so why not? Experience is also something I reek of... My picture is in the hallway with the other All State Large Group people...though I think I look akward in the picture...was when I had long hair and all.... of course, I don't think very highly of my appearance so maybe I'm just being overly critical...

Anyway, since I hate the other guys in the club, I probably need to get the lead roll away from them...or at least be the villain...

MoonShadow
November 24th, 2002, 06:37 PM
You were in All State Servone? That's so cool! I'm just afraid by the time I get to 11th or 12th grade, there will be a course conflict in my schedule, so I won't be able to take the orchestra class, which I wouldn't mind, except for the fact that I can't go to All County, LISFA, and All State. :\

I look very awkward in the school picture. Thank goodness there's a picture re-take. First time I'd ever had to do it, 'cept I was going to last year, but something happened....

And to the school musical! This year, we're doing the Wizard of Oz, and guess who got Dorothy? A stupid person who shouldn't have gotten it. >:( I didn't try out for anything, as I'm playing in the pit this year again, but I really think that one of my friends who tried out for the part deserved it a lot more. At least she got Auntie Em. But then, I'll feel sorry for another friend who tried out for Auntie Emm, but got a Beautician part or something.

What I find strange is that the person who was Annie last year, is the Munchkin president or something... Weird....

I also think that the lead roles should be based on who's best for the part, and our chorus teacher finally decided that that was a better idea than basing it mostly on which grade you're in. Annie was a 6th grader. Though I think our chorus teacher chose this year's Dorothy for... er... very very very very very wrong reasons.... It's going to be a disaster! (I hope I'm wrong though)

And yes, the people in higher grades are favored slightly more, so I'm guessing you'll have a much better chance next year Gabool. :)

Cale Yin
November 24th, 2002, 08:38 PM
All State what? :P

Moonie!! You used the Whewn quote! LOL... You should use the Bankvole quote too... :p

LadyBeelze
November 25th, 2002, 08:45 AM
our school doesn't have any musicals :(

though we're having a play right now of peter pan :/

Lyrian Aryns
November 25th, 2002, 05:10 PM
My school has a musical coming up sometime in December, tohugh I have no idea what it is... All I know is that I'd have zero chance of getting in owing to the degree of my musical challenged-ness. :\ Although I do like acting in plays and stuff... one of these days I might join the school's drama club, if I get around to it...
Anyway, that's great, Gabool! :)

MoonShadow
November 25th, 2002, 07:13 PM
I'm too _lazy_ to put it in right now. Anyway, I'm hoping to make a new sig image... why not start now? ;)

I think Peter Pan is as musical... Our school did that many many years ago.

All State - just this thing where you get to miss school, miss a lot sleep, but it's an honor. Oh yeah, it involves music too as well.

I wanted to try out, as I guess I can act... sometimes. :\ But even though I'm committed, I start to resent being committed after awhile....

Lord Servone
November 25th, 2002, 07:56 PM
I thought I shared it when it happened....last year, my Reader's Theater group went to All-State after getting all 1's in District and then State...and we didn't get to miss school for it...it was on a Saturday, like all the contests... I only made it to State in Individual....came close to getting all 1's there...

Back to about musicals and plays...I had a bit part in the last musical (2 years ago)...even though I wasn't in the Choir that year xD...I was the footman in Cinderalla with only one line (actually two) "Your highness/majesty" during the ball scene. Then I was the coachman who had no lines and wore a stupid wig (w/ the exact same suit for some reason) when the coach appeared....one of the performances it took forever as the stupid kids running the coach took forever to get their job done (it was a cardboard cut-out btw)...

I should have more theater experience in college (Drama's one of my double majors, after all). I was going to out for the choir too but decided against it after realizing the type of music they sing....lots of religous stuff as well as chamber music. Now, I like chamber music...but that's to listen to, not perform. In fact, whilst in Norway, we got the chance to listen in on a chamber music group practicing for a performance...it was quite good, though we didn't stay for long.
But back to the topic...I'm not going out for college choir because I don't care much for the stuff they sing :P

(We now take you back to the actual discussion, as opposed to Servone's moronic rantings...)

Martin the Warrior
November 25th, 2002, 10:39 PM
Congrats on getting the part, Gabool! It sounds like fun.

MoonShadow
November 26th, 2002, 02:32 PM
I thought I shared it when it happened....last year, my Reader's Theater group went to All-State after getting all 1's in District and then State...and we didn't get to miss school for it...And it looks like your "All State" isn't the same thing I was thinking about. But then, we live in different states, so "All State" could be different. :\

Gabool the Wild
November 26th, 2002, 03:31 PM
Thanks for all the congratulations. Actually, I just learned today that I got two more parts in the play. One in the first and last scenes of it, and the part of a Cuban dancer even though I don't even look Cuban :p

Cale Yin
November 26th, 2002, 03:34 PM
Well, you did share... I just don't have any idea what All-State is. But... well, I have an idea, but it's prolly different in my state.
While we're on the subject of states... how close is Waterloo to where you live?

Lord Servone
November 26th, 2002, 08:47 PM
Waterloo? That's about a 2- 2 1/2 hour drive from where I live... close to where my brother goes to college...