PDA

View Full Version : Rate Triss!

Rimrose
October 20th, 2002, 05:19 PM
On a scale of 1 to 5, please give us your opinion of Triss.

Martin the Warrior
October 23rd, 2002, 08:43 PM
I'd lump it firmly in the middle.

Slagar the Cruel
October 23rd, 2002, 08:50 PM
I suppose 4 is closest to my opinions...

Airemia
November 1st, 2002, 12:25 PM
I voted for 3, but I really think it was about a 3 1/2. ;)

Slagar the Cruel
November 1st, 2002, 01:03 PM
Me, too... but 3.5 rounds up to 4. ;)

Airemia
November 1st, 2002, 02:16 PM
Well, I was never good at math, so... :rolleyes:

The Red Badger
November 1st, 2002, 02:31 PM
I'm apathetic to the subject, so I guess 3 is closest. Had its flaws, but was good enough. It needed, oh, I dunno. Crimson hued badgers. :rolleyes:

Lyrian Aryns
November 1st, 2002, 06:34 PM
I gave it a four, because it was good, but just not a five...
Triss was the best of the three new books that've come out since I became a Redwall fan, though.

MoonShadow
November 2nd, 2002, 02:19 PM
I dunno why I didn't enjoy Triss as much.... I gave it a 3. :\ It just wasn't as good as some of the other books....

Probably the best part in Triss was with the mysterious Riftguard symbols.... And that only lasted like... a few pages?

The Red Badger
November 2nd, 2002, 03:45 PM
Nah, they lasted longer. It was a long time after we first saw the symbols on the boat and the pawring before they were actually identified. It was the WHOLE alphabet that didn't last very long. Kinda a let down. I had the symbols built up as some big secret badger society something or other. At least the adders rocked.

Chesk Otter
November 2nd, 2002, 09:29 PM
I think it's probably maybe the best written. Even if they didn't leave a clue at the bottom of the alphabet, I bet I coulda figured it out. That woulda been more interesting. Brian Jacques should put code-breaking into his books. If someone tried to decipher the message there would be 400,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 keys to check and if you could check one per second it would take about a billion times the lifetime of the universe to figure out. But I know the short-cut ;) .

Glenner
November 3rd, 2002, 11:14 AM
Triss is between 3 and 4 with me. I liked the book, but the albino ferrets could have been better villians. Plugg was cool though.;)

MoonShadow
November 8th, 2002, 05:05 PM
Well, that's what I meant reds. ;)

Yeah, Plugg was cool because he actually had respect from his crew members, like somebody else mentioned in a different thread. And because his tail fell out. *found those the tail falling out parts amusing*

Chesk Otter
November 8th, 2002, 05:17 PM
AMUSING?! HOW DARE YOU LAUGH AT THE GREAT CAPTAIN PLUGG! Sorry, but Plugg was the best. How could you find his tail falling off amusing?!

Lyrian Aryns
November 8th, 2002, 05:42 PM
Wel, I'm thinking she meant more of the 'taking his tail off and swinging it around his head' moment, which I believe was meant to be funny...

Pawflash
November 13th, 2002, 07:44 PM
I wish Triss would've had a more worthy villain. I would've considered Kurda more than worthy had she not been so easily disarmed by Triss, that just totally deflated the entire story in my point of view. I think it could've been a five, but because of that one small aspect I couldn't give it more than a three in comparison to other Redwall books.

MoonShadow
November 14th, 2002, 05:55 PM
Well, I actually meant the way he acted and his crew members acted about the situation.... "It just fell out."

Darkhood_343
December 7th, 2002, 01:45 AM
I gave it a three. It deserves a three.

Glenner
December 14th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Chesk Otter
AMUSING?! HOW DARE YOU LAUGH AT THE GREAT CAPTAIN PLUGG! Sorry, but Plugg was the best. How could you find his tail falling off amusing?!
Well, you can't say when he whirled it around his head wasn't funny.;)
Yeah, Pawflash is right, the albino ferrets in Triss where just...not great villians... Well okay, its not so bad if one was an idiot(like bladd) but none of them, not even Kurda seemed smart or clever. She had potential to be a better villian.

Pawflash
December 14th, 2002, 08:16 PM
Finally someone who agrees with me on Kurda's potential! It was so sad that she died so pathetically...made me angry!

Darkhood_343
December 15th, 2002, 03:48 PM
Finally someone who agrees with me on Kurda's potential! It was so sad that she died so pathetically...made me angry!
Me too.:mad: I felt the way Triss did.

MoonShadow
December 20th, 2002, 02:57 PM
She was a cool swordsbeast, but the Triss being good at the sword so suddenly seemed weird and... a rather not-so-fitting-part of the storyline.

I also didn't like how Kurda died, but then, BJ didn't want to turn Triss into a bloodthirsty slayer. ;)

Darkhood_343
December 20th, 2002, 09:58 PM
I also didn't like how Kurda died, but then, BJ didn't want to turn Triss into a bloodthirsty slayer. ;)
She should have been one though.;)

MoonShadow
December 23rd, 2002, 07:18 PM
Bloodthirsty slayers are not what Redwall warriors are. ;)

Dakota
December 23rd, 2002, 08:51 PM
I think Triss had a lot of mellow/in between characters. Triss was a warrior buuuut not a vicious one. Kurda was a villain but not vicious/clever one.. Almost all the main characters were just sort of lukewarm, so it didn't really create any kind of dynamic conflict.

Airemia
December 23rd, 2002, 09:42 PM
Yeah, I agree with Dakota. Triss needed to chop off a few heads or something. But seriously, some of the characters did seem like they should have been defined a bit more.

MoonShadow
December 24th, 2002, 08:42 PM
One reason why this book wasn't the best: The characters weren't developed in a way that I liked. In a way that would create more BOOM BANG BANG to the story.

Dakota
December 28th, 2002, 02:04 PM
I think Brian Jacques was trying so hard to create different characters(different from past characters) that he forgot why everyone liked the past characters.

Slagar the Cruel
March 25th, 2003, 05:48 PM
Looking back, I'd probably rate Triss a "3". It was a really good book in many regards, but there was just too much that was never built upon... too many characters that never really amounted to anything. But as reds said, at least the snakes were cool. :cool: I loved Plugg and his crew, as well.

freeverse
April 22nd, 2003, 08:03 PM
i would rate it a 4.25 it's not the best. i mean, if triss was the best swordmaid after martin and the taggerung, then why didn't she do any huge slaying. that goes for the taggerung as well. i think people liked the old books is because they have a happy but also sad ending when a beloved one left because of the battle. i think triss the book missed that point completely. but other wise, a very good book;)

Rillflag27
April 24th, 2003, 02:52 PM
:rolleyes: umm I would have to say 3

Dannflower Reguba
May 16th, 2003, 08:06 PM
I liked it a lot, probably a 4.5. I was waiting for a book named after a squirrel. I think Triss was supposed to be the 2nd Martin, in a way. I mean, her life was pretty horrible: she lost her father, her friend who helper set her free, her best friend, Shogg, and finally her revenge. To me, it was one of the deepest Redwalls. It's right up there with Outcast.

Gabool the Wild
May 18th, 2003, 06:28 PM
I think I would rate Triss as a 4. It started off pretty well, and in the middle it started to decline a little, but once Triss and co. got to Redwall, it got very good. I would have liked to see more happen at Riftgaurd, it seemed like a very interesting place. Also, more Salamandaston would have been nice, but that's just me ;) . I was also surprised to learn that the abbey had a haremum, instead of a badgermum, a change I'm not sure I prefer. It was also very interesting to see the return of adders to Mossflower, especially three siblings that were joined together. It would have been interesting to see more of them, but I suppose we got an adequette taste for them.

The two things that made me really enjoy this book were its comedy and its ending. For me, this was one of the most, if not the most, comedic book in the Redwall series. This was brought about by Scarum, DAB, and the dibbuns. Probably the funniest scene that I can recall was the rock throwing competition:) The ending for this book was also one of the best in the series. First there was the killing of the adders and the Ratgaurds and Freebooters, and the death of Shogg. Then there was Kurda's confrontation with Scarum and then the slaying of Vorto and Riggan (very gruesome), and then there was the duel between Triss and Kurda and Triss's feeling of being cheated of her revenge. That's where the active ending ends and is followed by the sentimental ending (actually begun at the final conversation of Triss and Shogg and Shogg's false vision of Welfo, a tearful scene:( ) First the crew returns to Salamandaston, then to Peace Island, and finally the liberation of Riftgaurd (another funny scene with Agarnu floating to his death) All in all, I felt this was one of the better Redwall books, but not quite as good as Mariel of Redwall:D

Keyla
June 7th, 2003, 07:27 AM
I give it a four: for me although it didn't find some bits as moving as in other Tales I don't think it was meant to be that kind of book; I feel there was more of a focus on the comedy side of Redwall and although I wouldn't want every Tale to be like this I think this kind of Tale gives variety. The humour itself, I feel, was well executed Redwall humour. My main criticism would be the lack of feeling that the villains could actually win as Riftguard was the only place where they had any real upper hand. But then again this fits with the more lighthearted feel to this Tale.
Brian's writing is as well done as ever, so the slight loss on the side of drama is not too terrible and more than made up for in terms of humour.

Nora the Rover
June 7th, 2003, 07:50 PM
I gave Triss a four.
In most of B.J.'s earlier books, there was so much action and emotion in the characters. Most of the characters in Triss seemed rather bland and the plotline didn't have much action. I'm not saying it was a terribly bad book, however, as the antics of Scarum, Kroova, and Sagax were quite comical at times.
I would have liked to have seen more about Brockhall. The state of the ancient home of the badgers hundreds of seasons after the wars against Kotir. It didn't describe it very well at all, just old, dusty rooms, crumbling furniture and wood, hanging curtains that disentigrated at the touch. It could have been a little more dramatic, as in writing about parts and memories of Brockhall from Mossflower and whatnot.

Matthias of Redwall
June 8th, 2003, 11:42 AM
I agree, the killing of Kura should be more interesting like Martin killing Tsamiwhatjamayoucallit. There should be more dramatic than just beating up Kura with the sword

LadyBeelze
June 8th, 2003, 12:19 PM
I'd give it a "3", i don't know why. It wasn't one of my favorites or my least favorites. I'm just happy i got my paws..ermm hands on triss finally. Maybe it was because i didn't really feel any emotion for any part of the book except when shogg died. *shruggs*