PDA

View Full Version : Vent your madness on spoilers here

Cheesethief
June 25th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Well, should they be scrapped or a rule set in stone? Post your views here and let's see if we can't sway Martin. You might want to check out the "Favorite Main Character?" thread first, hopefully a scribe can get all that stuff in this thread??? Well, you decide now.

Rillflag27
June 25th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Cheese, just give it up. Martin posted the spoiler rule at least 4 times. You know the rules stop trying to change them. Your going to get banned or something.

Martin the Warrior
June 25th, 2004, 04:49 PM
This is not the kind of thing that gets people banned, Rillflag. ;)

Still, the spoiler policy will not be altered and there is zero chance of changing my mind on this, Cheesethief.

LadyBeelze
June 25th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Cheesetheif, what's the big deal? Most people here are responsible enough to avoid saying big spoilers and if they do it's on accident. When i first joined the LP i had only read Redwall and Mattimeo yet i never encountered any spoilers that shocked me enough that ruined the book. I think the rules should stay the same. They've worked in the past and they still work now. >.>

Rillflag27
June 25th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Martin the Warrior
This is not the kind of thing that gets people banned, Rillflag. ;)

Aye. But the keyword was "or something." Which could mean anything from a thread lock down to a lollypop. ;)

Cheesethief
June 26th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Your going to get banned or something.
ah! please man, say "you're" or at least "youre", it makes me feel nauseous when people use "your" wrongly. seriously... plus, i hope i dont get banned. i mean, you-know-who...the unmentionable...well, him, he got banned for being a bit aggressive, but i dont think you et done for protesting. do you? *looks nervously around*

This is not the kind of thing that gets people banned, Rillflag.
whew! im safe.

Still, the spoiler policy will not be altered and there is zero chance of changing my mind on this, Cheesethief.
still, i dont expect anything, but it should be made less confusing. maype. perhaps. im not going to get banned, am i?
*looks nervously round...again*

Cheesetheif, what's the big deal? Most people here are responsible enough to avoid saying big spoilers and if they do it's on accident. When i first joined the LP i had only read Redwall and Mattimeo yet i never encountered any spoilers that shocked me enough that ruined the book. I think the rules should stay the same. They've worked in the past and they still work now. >.>
thIEf. please. thIEf. oh well, i give up. but i could do a site, maybe www.whyspoilersonthelongpatrolforumspoweredbyvBsho uldbemademoreclearinordertopreventaVBSTverybigspoi lerificthingoccuring.com. you think i should?

LadyBeelze
June 26th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Whatever CheeseTHIEF :rolleyes:

Cinnabarr Rivershell
June 26th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Ah. Cheese, you stuck up for your views, which is very good of you, but unfortunetly Martin is just too stubborn. You had a good run, but the finish line is too far away for you to reach. Your stick-to-it ness is noted.

Martin the Warrior
June 26th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Cheesethief
still, i dont expect anything, but it should be made less confusing. maype. perhaps.

What is it that's confusing you, Cheesethief? Major plot points should use the tag (such as significant deaths, possibly Slagar's identity, etc.) while all else is fine (such as Matthias marrying Cornflower, revealing that X character doesn't die, etc.).

As I said before, worry about the big stuff, don't sweat the small stuff.

I don't know how that can be made any clearer to you.

Slagar the Cruel
June 26th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Slagar's identity should DEFINATELY get the spoiler-tag treatment. It's thrown around way too casually on the internet, when knowing it can subtract so much weight from the book. In fact, if you go to an online bookstore and look up Mattimeo, there's a very good chance that at least one of the customer reviews will contain something like
PS - b4 you read - SLAGAR IS REALLY CHICKENHOUND!!!!!
It irritates me.

Cinnabarr Rivershell
June 26th, 2004, 10:24 PM
Matthias marries Cornflower!!! OMG!
Thanks for spoiling Redwall for me Martin!!!

I'm just joking as usual. I've read Redwall BUT... Martin do you consider keeping our environment clean? I don't mean if you recycle or not. What I mean is, do you go out there and clean up steams and forests and hug trees and all that stuff? I do recycle, but I'm not the type of person to get out there and clean Mother Earth.

I don't think that you are either, and I think that you find better use for your time. So (now I could be wrong here) I think that cleaning Mother Nature up isn't that important for you.

Well to a lot of environmentalists it is important, but it's not important to you is it? (Again If I am wrong, please let me know)

So some people find that cleaning up the Earth is important, and others find it not to be important.

Some people find that blurting small plotlines from books out is perfectly okay, and others find it quite offensive.

So, what I'm getting from your responces Martin, is that you don't care about throughing out small plotlines. You think that they are not important. Well, didn't BJ write the small plotlines? Well, if they aren't important then why in the heavens above did he write these small plotlines. Someone should tell BJ that he is wasting his time, don't you think so Martin? Because these small plotlines are of little importance, so he must be surely wasting his time as well as the readers time.

I don't really care about cleaning up the Earth, but I don't go throughing pieces of trash out the window, because I know that some people care about the Earth. And I am considerate of others.

Cheesethief
June 27th, 2004, 06:47 AM
great one. we should make a team!

CheeseTHIEF :p

What is it that's confusing you, Cheesethief? Major plot points should use the tag (such as significant deaths, possibly Slagar's identity, etc.) while all else is fine (such as Matthias marrying Cornflower, revealing that X character doesn't die, etc.). yes, but where is the line drawn? i mean, where can i say "please put that in a spoiler"? scribes should sort out this stuff, but we should know our rights.

Ah. Cheese, you stuck up for your views, which is very good of you, but unfortunetly Martin is just too stubborn. You had a good run, but the finish line is too far away for you to reach. Your stick-to-it ness is noted. i havent give up yet.

Martin the Warrior
June 27th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Cheesethief
yes, but where is the line drawn? i mean, where can i say "please put that in a spoiler"? scribes should sort out this stuff, but we should know our rights.

I've made it quite clear that I leave where to draw that line up to the individual poster. I've also made it clear that if somebody posts something you think should be in a spoiler, then you may kindly ask them to tag it (and they may very kindly refuse).

That wasn't what was going on, though-- people were very rudely being told to tag it. And therein lies the distinction.

Cinnabar
Martin do you consider keeping our environment clean? I don't mean if you recycle or not. What I mean is, do you go out there and clean up steams and forests and hug trees and all that stuff? I do recycle, but I'm not the type of person to get out there and clean Mother Earth.

Actually, I walk by streams every single day and, yes, I pick up any trash or debris I see laying around them. So, I guess the answer would be yes, even though this analogy doesn't apply to this situation. ;) To explain why, jumping ahead a bit...

I don't really care about cleaning up the Earth, but I don't go throughing pieces of trash out the window, because I know that some people care about the Earth. And I am considerate of others.

And yet, to use your analogy, you're coming into my house and telling me where I may or may not throw away my trash. ;) Or, to put it another way, telling me that even though I've got four trash cans set up, they're in the wrong place and need to be moved.

Some people find that blurting small plotlines from books out is perfectly okay, and others find it quite offensive.

They're perfectly within their rights to be offended. However, since it's my board, I get to make the rules. ;)

So, what I'm getting from your responces Martin, is that you don't care about throughing out small plotlines. You think that they are not important. Well, didn't BJ write the small plotlines? Well, if they aren't important then why in the heavens above did he write these small plotlines. Someone should tell BJ that he is wasting his time, don't you think so Martin? Because these small plotlines are of little importance, so he must be surely wasting his time as well as the readers time.

It's actually quite amusing how you kept building your case on one supposition after another, Cinnabar. :) The downside to that, though, is that if one of the early suppositions is knocked out, it all comes down like a house of cards.

You assume I don't care about the small plotlines because I refuse to make people enclose every detail in a spoiler tag-- not true. You further assume I think those small plotlines are unimportant and that BJ wasted his time-- not true. That I consider them all to be wasting the time of the reader-- again, not true.

These boards are for discussion of these books, not veiled hints and page after page of black spoiler boxes. I'm going to let posters have those discussions with as few rules to worry about as possible. We come here to hear their opinions, not to keep them from voicing them by wondering, "Am I even allowed to post this or not?"

Technically, everything from Redwall to Triss can be posted freely. That's the kind of board this is. The spoiler tag is optional and there should individual posters choose to extend that courtesy towards others.

If somebody wants the purest experience possible, then they have no business being here in the Bookshelf. We're a long established fandom of a book series that is 18 years old. If they choose to read our discussions, then the responsibility for spoilers is theirs. I've gone out of my way to ensure that the newer books are not discussed in this forum until they're out in paperback. Beyond that, reader beware.

Mariel StormRider
June 29th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Seriously, it's impossible to not give away minor plotlines on these forums becuse they fit so well into the other books

for instance, if you state that Joseph is your favorite character in the Bellmaker, then you may have spoiled the fact that he survived being pushed out of the window in Mariel of Redwall. Even, if you mark as a spoiler that
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
(sorry, couldn't find the spoiler marker) Cregga is killed in Taggurung, you've spoiled the fact that she survives Long Patrol and Marlfox. And what about the fact that Martin is even in Mossflower? If you think about it, that basically spoils the fact that
s
p
o
i
l
e
r
Rose dies, since he probably would be in Noonvale if she lived. So basically, it's impossible to not spoil half of the minor plotlines. Therefore, I agree with Martin. If you're going to be on a *Redwall* book forum, you run the risk of having a plotline spoiled

Rillflag27
June 29th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Mariel, This is what the spoiler image looks like.

http://home.graffiti.net/rillflag27:graffiti.net/spoiler.gif

Just click that and type in the spoiler. If it wasn't there before I don't blame you, Martin added it not too long ago. Maybe one of the SCRIBEs can edit those two parts into spoiler tags?

Cinnabarr Rivershell
June 29th, 2004, 06:21 PM

And yet, to use your analogy, you're coming into my house and telling me where I may or may not throw away my trash. Or, to put it another way, telling me that even though I've got four trash cans set up, they're in the wrong place and need to be moved.

I'm not coming into your house Martin and telling you where you may and where you may not throw your trash. If you read my quote with more care you will notice that I said that I don't throw trash out of windows At my house there are no trash cans located outside from a window, which I am inferring you have at your house. So if you get into my shoes, you will understand that by saying that I donnot throw trash out of my window, I mean that I donnot littter.

As for you picking up trash by steams and cleaning up the Earth, I thank you. That is very good of you.

Quote: Cinnabar
It's CinnabaRR. Two r's, not one.

Slagar the Cruel
June 29th, 2004, 07:47 PM
I think we should have to use Spoiler markers whenever we say Redwall. I mean, what if someone who hasn't read the books wanders in here? It'll spoil the fact that there are walls of a crimson hue in the Redwall series.

:rolleyes:

Martin the Warrior
June 29th, 2004, 08:17 PM
I'm not coming into your house Martin and telling you where you may and where you may not throw your trash. If you read my quote with more care you will notice that I said that I don't throw trash out of windows At my house there are no trash cans located outside from a window, which I am inferring you have at your house. So if you get into my shoes, you will understand that by saying that I donnot throw trash out of my window, I mean that I donnot littter.

I don't think you quite understand what I meant.

This forum is my "home"-- in the sense that I've paid for it and it's running off of webspace I've also paid for. I already have "trash cans" (a spoiler policy) in place, but what you're doing is saying that those "trash cans" (the spoiler policy) aren't in the right places (needs to be changed).

In other words, your analogy that the spoiler policy here is akin to "throwing trash out the window" in disregard of environmentalists/newbies doesn't apply, which is precisely what I said. If you don't feel what I've provided is enough, I welcome your feedback, but not mischaracterization.

We've got trash cans in place. ;)

Rillflag27
June 29th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Trash Cans?!?!?! I LOVE THOSE!!! *dives inside one*

I think we should just drop the subject....unless Martin wishes to continue with the er um trash can thingy.

Cinnabarr Rivershell
June 29th, 2004, 10:41 PM

This forum is my "home"
You should have made that more clear. I misinterpreted you. When one talks of his "home" I assume they are talking about a place in which they live. Not a website.

Martin the Warrior
June 30th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Not when one is using an analogy. ;)

Cheesethief
July 2nd, 2004, 03:34 PM
nice sig rillo.
ok, im gonna drop this. if we go into analogies eventually itll lead into quantum etc and someone will go crazy.but for the record (mention me in despatches) i have not forgotten this. so,
PLEASE USE A SPOILER TAG WHEREVER IT IS NECESSARY IN YOUR OPINION.
i clean up trash by the way. though i call it rubbish. ;)

Rillflag27
July 2nd, 2004, 04:33 PM
nice sig rillo.

Rillo? The name is Rillflag 27, or Rilf or Rill. I don't see an O in Rillflag27 anywhere. ;)

Cinnabarr Rivershell
July 2nd, 2004, 05:20 PM
I would keep on arguing about this Spoiler thing, but I kind of screwed up my argument with that blasted analogy. *walks away grumbling to himself* stupid analogy. I'll give Martin a good analogy after I graduate from college. Then he'll be sorry. *keeps on grumbling to himself as he walks off into the beautiful California sunset*

Cheesethief
July 3rd, 2004, 04:55 AM
I would keep on arguing about this Spoiler thing, but I kind of screwed up my argument with that blasted analogy. *walks away grumbling to himself* stupid analogy. I'll give Martin a good analogy after I graduate from college. Then he'll be sorry. *keeps on grumbling to himself as he walks off into the beautiful California sunset*
haha. oh well, i havent forgotten this issue.

Rillo? The name is Rillflag 27, or Rilf or Rill. I don't see an O in Rillflag27 anywhere.
it rhymed with brillo.

Goddess of Darkness
July 8th, 2004, 04:49 AM
Seems like you all should have a thread arguing rules on the spelling of names...lol, I'd like to see that...I can just imagine it: "One may not insert letters that do not already reside in one's name into said name..." and so on. I'm not putting down anyone, I'm just saying I would find it rather amuzing...I don't care what people call me as long as I know they're talking to me...You can all call me "Bob the Purple Llama King" if you want to, as long as you warn me......someday I'm going to put a copyright on that name...then you'll see, YOU'LL ALL SEE! hahahahahaaa!