PDA

View Full Version : Vacation

Gabool the Wild
November 27th, 2002, 08:22 AM
Thanksgiving vacation has started for me today, and what's even better, it started early. Originally, we were only supposed to have a half day of school today and then have the rest of the week off, but since we got 3-5 inches of snow over night, school was cancelled today. It's great, except for the fact that there is snow, of course. I hate snow (except on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day)

LadyBeelze
November 27th, 2002, 08:23 AM
i have to go to school today (wensday) for 2 stinking hours......whats the point and the rest of the week is off. yay

Cale Yin
November 27th, 2002, 10:30 AM
I have today and the rest of the week off. Five days of pure laziness... Except for Christmas shopping, which is still fun... I love sleeping...

Martin the Warrior
November 27th, 2002, 11:19 AM
I hate snow (except on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day)

Snow can get tiresome towards the end of January and after. But in November and December? It's great! Send your snow my way, Gabool. ;)

LadyBeelze
November 27th, 2002, 01:02 PM
There was some snow yesterday but it melted...it figures :(

Lyrian Aryns
November 27th, 2002, 02:16 PM
I had two hours of school today, which consisted of absolutely nothing requiring extensive thought... and now I have a four and a half day weekend ahead of me. Yay.

Bleh. Something tells me that we aren't going to be getting any snow days around here any time soon. Two years ago they called school off twice because of half an inch of snow that melted by lunchtime, and I think they got a number of complaints for it... albeit they were rather convenient, for me, as both times I had huge giant assignments that I had procrastinated bit too long on...

LadyBeelze
November 27th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Lucky! if there were millions of feet of snow i'm sure we'd still have to go to school

Airemia
November 27th, 2002, 02:54 PM
You guys got today and the rest of the week off?! No fair! My next holiday is Christmas. At least I get a couple weeks off for that... But you guys get two vacations in the space of like a month! Argh! Well, happy Thanksgiving to all my American chums. All the Michiganders'll be flooding over to Windsor tonight. :rolleyes:

Lord Servone
November 27th, 2002, 04:14 PM
I got out early at 2:30 today and get a four day weekend...

I don't care how much it snows really, though it does get bothersome at times... if we get a lot of snowdays, since we're seniors, we won't have to make them up xD

All we've got so far is about a think sheet of snow that melted away in an hour or so after it stopped.

MoonShadow
November 27th, 2002, 05:12 PM
Heh, we only have a four day weekend with a normal school day. *sigh* I have so much things to do... well, it's really the fact that my parents are doing some Chinese school thing in NJ, so I have to go along with them for most of satruday.... Gr... a whole day wasted. %^&*!

Well, we got some snow during the night, so it looked really nice with all of the roofs, trees, and grass topped with a bit of snow. It'd be nice if the snow tasted sweet. ;)
It was flurrying when I was going to my bus stop, and it kept snowing until.... I'm not exactly sure, since the auditorium is windowless, but I think it stopped somwhere around 10:40 or something.... I was hoping that there would be enough snow for a 2-hour delay... but unfortunately, there wasn't.

*sigh* Thanksgiving vacation isn't what I was hoping it to be... which certainly didn't include wasting time in NJ.

Slagar the Cruel
November 27th, 2002, 05:34 PM
I'm on Thanksgiving leave right now... I'm posting from my Aunt's house.

I got a bit of snow! Yay! 2 inches, I believe. It was really refreshing, because November where I live is so gloomy and bleak without snow... unfortunately, I won't get to enjoy the cold, white glop, as I'm at my Aunt's house. http://beta.sluggy.net/beta_forums/images/smiles/bert.gif BAH!

dandin1
November 27th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Why is your thanksgiving later than ours?
I probly wouldnt even know Americains had thanksgiving right now if I didnt go to this forum!

Airemia
November 27th, 2002, 07:50 PM
I think it's something about their harvest being later than our's. At least that's what I heard. Personally, I think it's weird that they have Thanksgiving so close to Christmas. I mean, two holidays so close to each other... Plus you get your Thanksgiving sales, and then there's Boxing Day right after Christmas... Actually, you don't get Boxing Day, do you? :confused:

You're all lucky you get even four days off. I have NO days off right now! :( Plus, I might have to go to Detroit soon, for my dad's firm. Ugh. I hate Detroit!! Actually, Eminem describes it quite accurately in his song. Never thought I'd quote Eminem, but here goes:

"The city is no fun
There is no sun
And it's so dark"

That pretty much sums up Detroit, unless your at a hockey game. Not that I have anything against Detroit... well... I do. I just can't stand the city. Nor can I stand Chicago, where I was forced to spend three days. Oh the horror. I guess there's just something about large American cities that doesn't work for me.

So all of you have a nice Thanksgiving, and be THANKFULL that you don't have to go to Detroit. :rolleyes:

Cale Yin
November 27th, 2002, 08:57 PM
It's certainly cold enough to snow here. :eek: *breathes fog*
Whyyyyyyy does it have to be so coooooooolllllduh...

Thanksgiving is tomorrow! My non-immediate family is falling apart and there are feuds galore, and the other side just is rich and stuck-up and doesn't want to be with us "lower-middle-class" people, with nonperfect children who aren't infants and therefore are not worth talking to anymore... :mad: So we're going to A RESTAURANT with my grandmother on the 'rich' side. Bah.

Happy early Thanksgiving!! :D

Glenner
November 27th, 2002, 09:05 PM
Ah..too many of you take snow forgranted.;)
I wish I had snow..Just Christmas Eve and Christmas day...thats all I ask... Well at least we have fog. I lurve fog.;)

I just got out for vacation today too. Just three periods. Thats all I had. It was lovely, really. Although I have presented an obstacle for myself over the holidays. I put of my history report, and now I gotta finish it. Its due on Monday, urgh..
Anyway Happy Thanksgiving ya'll.
It's over to G-ma's house tommorrow for me.;)

LadyBeelze
November 28th, 2002, 09:16 AM
I would just Like to say "HAPPY THANKSGIVING!" before i leave to my grandmas and grandpas house and be with my non-immediate family. Its so cold out here, i can see my breath....burrrrrrrrrrrr *shivers* oh it makes me drool even thinking of thanksgiving dinna

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Airemia
November 28th, 2002, 01:03 PM
*grumbles about lucky Americans getting to have a vacation, and possibly having to go to Detroit* :( :mad:

Cale Yin
November 28th, 2002, 01:12 PM
*pats Airemia and gives her a slice of Grandma's dressing*

The restaurant was all right. My aunt on that side came too. We sat at our table from about 10:45 to 1:00pm. That's a long lunch. :P The food was good. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. :)

MoonShadow
November 28th, 2002, 01:49 PM
Happy Thanksgiving peoples!

I guess there's just something about large American cities that doesn't work for me. *high-fives Airemia* Keep me away from NYC and give me a small city and I'm happy. :\

Well, lucky me is going sort of upstate (yeah, I get to leave LI again... *hugs Long Island*), and I'm going online, while... there are delays on leaving home. *sigh*

Ooh.. fun... a Thanksgiving party today and another tomorrow. :rolleyes: I wish I could bring the laptop or something so I could do work there.... I don't think the batteries are recharged though. :\

Cale Yin
November 28th, 2002, 04:55 PM
I agree about the city thing. I live in a small town (which is growing) and we're right up there with Charlotte, so the traffic around there is so terrible. Charlotte's not a good place to learn to drive. :P And people are nice in small towns.
Speaking of vacation, I think my legs are shrinking.

dandin1
November 28th, 2002, 07:18 PM
Well, happy thanksgiving my Americain friends.

I wish I had sticky snow.. snow fights, snowballs, snow mans

SNOW!!!!!

Airemia
November 28th, 2002, 09:07 PM
I think that maybe if you're raised in a smaller city you might not like large cities... Obviously that's not true for everyone, but it's kind of true for me. It's actually only the large American cities that I don't like. I feel totally at ease in Toronto, Ottawa, or Montreal. I think it's because it's my own country. It's familiar, even if it's not in the same province, like Montreal.

Anyway, I might get a day early for Christmas Holiday.... I'm not sure. Because at this school I'm going to, the teacher'll give you a 'get out of class for five minutes' slip if you're doing your work and stuff, and I'm saving mine up to get a day off. I've got about an hour and twenty five minutes worth so far, and school lasts from 8:55 to 1:55... I'm not sure whether I have to include lunch. We'll see.

Cale Yin
November 28th, 2002, 09:24 PM
*remembers the pictures she took last year of the snow*

Are the people generally meaner, or stupider, or dirtier down here? What exactly is different? I've never been very far north.

Airemia
November 29th, 2002, 01:50 PM
No, I know lots of great Americans. Yeah, some Americans are bad, but most aren't, just like Canadians. I'm not sure what it is about it that I don't really like. I guess Americans and Canadians are different, they ARE two different cultures, even if they're similar, and I guess I feel more at home in Canada because I can relate to Canadians more. I'm a pretty patriotic Canadian, as you can probably see by my picture and my signature. ;) But I generally like Americans as well, you know?

Slagar the Cruel
November 29th, 2002, 05:55 PM
What exactly is different?Canadians... have free health care. ;)

Airemia
November 29th, 2002, 08:27 PM
Free Health Care, only 30 million people, a legal drinking age of 19 (or 18 in Quebec), we have provinces, not states, and we have three territories. We have a Prime Minister instead of a President. The Prime Minister can serve for as long as he wants if he keeps getting re-elected. We're part of the commonwealth. We have basically no army, but are more eager to get involved in peace keeping operations as opposed to wars. We have cars with headlights equipped to run automatically in the day, in case of a sudden snowstorm. We're considered to be less agressive, and have a few sayings or words that are apparently only Canadian, we say 'eh' a lot, we measure in kilometres, centimetres, and metres, not miles, yards, and inches. In school we say 'Grade 9' or 'Grade 5', instead of '9th Grade' or '5th Grade'. We have a variety of different holidays, including an earlier Thanksgiving, Boxing Day, Canada Day (Fireworks!), and Victoria Day (Fireworks!). We have a province that seems to consider itself its own country. Quebec thinks it's a nation. When they have their annual moving day, they call it 'national moving day'. Our beer is MUCH stronger. Not that I know from experience. ;) Hockey. Hockey, hockey, hockey. Hockey.

Want me to add more? Was that a nice little lesson in Canada for everyone? Go see Bowling for Columbine, if you're 14 or older, because it's rated AA. It's got my city in it! :cool:

LadyBeelze
November 30th, 2002, 09:32 AM
I used to live in a Big city right by salt lake city until i was 8 years old and then me and my family moved to a small town to the south of the state. Now i hate being in a big city, too much people, too much cars, the houses are too close together and the backyards are small, they'res dirty people out there....i prefer a small QUIET town :o

MoonShadow
November 30th, 2002, 11:40 AM
The place where I went for Thanksgiving is my ideal town. Even more spaced out than where I live (where I have a backyard that's not on a very flat surface), and plus, the was LOTS AND LOTS OF SNOW! :D!!!!

I want to live there! *whines* Plus, one of my camp friends live there, and when I found out that we were going to her town, I was like "AHHHHH!!!!".

- Oh, and Canada ranks #2 on the best countries to live in the word, while America ranks #6 (I want to live in Canada now!).

- Canada (or at least YTV) is farther ahead in the YGO series

- Canada gets Teletoon

-----

Hm... I was born in Philadephia, which you can say is a big city, but we weren't living in the best living conditions at the time, since my parents were planning to go back to China after they finish whatever kind of degrees they needed here.

And then I moved to a rather nice area somewhere in the borderline, which I don't remember much, except that there was a swimming pool where I lost a part of water gun in.

Then we moved to Queens in a not as nice place, but still... it was an okay part *can't remember*

Then we moved to LI, into the town I live in now, which is sort of small, but we played an important part in WWII that nobody knows about (heh). And then I moved again to a different location in the town.

But still, where I live now is sort of a built up..... I want to live somewhere more spacy.... And where snow will actually stay for more than 2 days.