PDA

View Full Version : Did they modify the plot of the books for the TV show?

Jodan
July 18th, 2004, 08:16 PM
I was just wondering, since I don't remember Matthias' past being explained in the Redwall other than saying he was an orphan. In the show, you see his village being attacked by Cluny and his sister taking him to Redwall, but I don't remember that from the book. I can see how it would add more motivation, though. Also, I thought Cornflower lived at Redwall, and Mr. and Mrs. Churchmouse lived at St. Ninian's. Did they add these parts, or do I just not remember that from the book?

Martin the Warrior
July 18th, 2004, 08:42 PM
Matthias' past was an addition made to the TV series, but it was a past conceived by or at the very least approved by Brian Jacques.

Cornflower didn't live at Redwall, though. She was a Fieldmouse. Remember, Matthias was taking her home when they saw Cluny.

I've listed all changes from the book for the first season and half of the second season at http://rwtv.longpatrolclub.com You might want to give it a look.

Jodan
July 18th, 2004, 11:37 PM
Thanks. I'll check it out.

Lord Servone
July 20th, 2004, 11:47 AM
On a different note, in Martin the Warrior, they obviously changed the gender of Pallum but what about Keyla? The kids that introduce the show referred to him as a her constantly. I just thought that he had a kid voice him. So is that a less noticed gender change or are the kids talking about him just stupid/mistaken. I have a feeling we had talks about this but I don't remember.

Martin the Warrior
July 20th, 2004, 02:22 PM
I never got the sense that Keyla was a female in the show, so personally I'd chalk it up to the kids being mistaken.

Cheesethief
July 21st, 2004, 02:20 PM
i have a confession, whenever i read martin the warrior, until about halfway through i am always under the impression keyla is female. (sorry keyla!) but not anymore. i know better, ater reading the keyla bits over and over. ;)

Cinnabarr Rivershell
July 21st, 2004, 07:58 PM
I always thought of Keyla as a male character.

Lord Servone
July 22nd, 2004, 02:10 AM
Keyla IS a male character. Its just that on the PBS broadcast of Martin the Warrior, Keyla was the character of the day and when they were talking about him, they refered to him as her/she/etc. I assume he is a male in the show as there was nothing really distinguishing him as a female like there was for Tulgrew. She wore skirt and looked feminine. Keyla looked nothing like her, other than they were both otters.

Senav
July 25th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Keyla seemed pretty, uh, male to me. Thankfully, my station doesn't have the little kids interfering with the show like on PBS. The little ankle-biters don't seem terribly bright if they refer to a male character as female.

Jodan
July 25th, 2004, 08:24 PM
Tonight, the second episode of Redwall came out, and I have a question. Didn't Constance know Basil, in the book before he came to Redwall?

Cheesethief
July 26th, 2004, 05:45 AM
yes, through woodland "connections".

Lord Servone
July 26th, 2004, 11:26 AM
All the info on those sort of things can be found on the link Marting gave you, Jodan :).