PDA

View Full Version : It's Snowing!

VanessaNB
November 28th, 2002, 05:36 PM
Actually, was snowing. Yesterday, we had a blizzard of sorts, and (surprisingly) it didn't melt. But the internet wouldn't work yesterday, so I'm posting this (important) news now.
I hope it snows some more tomorrow.:D

dandin1
November 28th, 2002, 07:02 PM
We already have snow, and had our big storm two weekends ago. I wish we had more, because now it's all hard, and we cant do snowmans, or snowball fights

Lyrian Aryns
November 28th, 2002, 09:54 PM
*sigh* It's cold enough to snow here, but so far we haven't gotten any. The last time it snowed here was a wacky storm in March, during which we had to go to school, anyway, and by the time we got out it had started raining and thusly was ruined. :\

dandin1
November 29th, 2002, 06:57 AM
It's snowing again! yaaaaay. (and they all rejoiced)

It,s just a small snow, but it's sticky!

Lady Terra
November 29th, 2002, 07:52 AM
it's almost cold enough to snow here but it hasnt yet. some cities in the northern part of the state have gotten some snow. >< i wish it would snow here. maybe we'll have a white Christmas :D

VanessaNB
November 29th, 2002, 05:50 PM
It started raining about an hour ago. Darn. What do you expect from the Bannana Belt?
But we're supposed to get more snow this weekend. *Joy*

LadyBeelze
November 30th, 2002, 09:47 AM
wow, i wish it was snowing

enjoy it to full extent....snowball wars yay

MoonShadow
November 30th, 2002, 11:19 AM
It was snowing a few days ago, and the snow did stick, and there was still a little bit yesterday left, but all of it is gone now.

*sigh* It did snow a bit yesterday, but it looked more like little dust particles falling from the sky. At least I think was snow.... :\

d
Well, the place where I went for Thanksgiving still had quite a lot of snow left... lucky them. :(

Airemia
November 30th, 2002, 03:37 PM
It snowed here today! Yay! It's stopped now, but it might start again... Too bad we NEVER get out on snow days. Never. There were only ever two days in my life that they cancelled school because of the weather. It was when we were having an ice storm, and huge chunks of ice, and branches and trees were falling all over the place, and it was too dangerous to drive or even to step outside your house. So school got cancelled for two days. That was it. Meanwhile, over in Michigan, which is ironically NORTH of us, they cancel school for everything! They cancel it for two centimetres of snow, or because it rained a bit the evening before. I'm hardly exaggerating, either. :mad:

VanessaNB
November 30th, 2002, 04:42 PM
There's only a tiny lump of snow left on my lawn. It's what's left of a pretty good snow person.
Our school is cancelled depending on the weather at Shelburne (major town near us). We can have a raging snowstorm here, but if the weather is decent in Shelburne, we stay. Of course, if the weather was endangering the lives of our staff and students we'd probably go home anyway. Then again, knowing the clever people we have at school...:rolleyes:

MoonShadow
December 1st, 2002, 03:34 PM
The school once sent us home early because of a hurricane that never came. :rolleyes:

VanessaNB
December 1st, 2002, 04:47 PM
Back in grade 4, we had school cancelled and there was just barely a centimetre on the the ground. By the next day, we had about a foot.
I love snow when it's REALLY deep, and it covers everything, and there are huge snowflakes coming down like a blizzard, and there's not a bit of the sun in sight. Then I have an excuse to stay inside all day, and watch my favorite movie and watch the snow coming down outside the window. Especially in the moring.

MoonShadow
December 2nd, 2002, 04:21 PM
I love lots of snow in the morning... puts you in a good mood for the rest of the day, providing that there's no school. ;)

I used to go playing in the snow and attempting to build a snowman, or at least a snowball, but I always end up freezing my fingers off even with gloves. :\

I want snow! *sob* I certainly hope there's snow this holiday vacation....

dandin1
December 2nd, 2002, 04:51 PM
School never gets cancelled here. On the buses. Doesnt mater to many anyways!

Lyrian Aryns
December 2nd, 2002, 05:07 PM
I remember when I was younger, I built this huge snow fort with my cousin... It was so fun. And then the snow started to melt, but froze again overnight, and the walls and floor of that thing were so slick.

There was also the time we got an actual foot and a half of snow, and they used a snow plow on the parkinglot of my grandma's appartment complex thing, and it piled all of the snow up in one gigantic twelve-foot tall hill... it was great. Snow castle.

VanessaNB
December 2nd, 2002, 05:13 PM
I love making snow caves! Last year we brought snow from all around and piled it together with the stuff we shoveled fromour driveway. Then I made a big tunnel that I could fit into, along with my dog (that's pretty big).
We're supposed to get an extra long, cold whatever winter this year. Considering our winters are usually *very* mild (especially right in our area), we might actually get more than a foot:D

MoonShadow
December 2nd, 2002, 06:33 PM
Ah, nobody to help me build snow castles when I was young when we actually had snow. :(

I remember one year at the colledge my mom works at when there was a lot of snow....
I was at a music program there, and I was playing in the snow along with a couple of friends at the back of the building, where there was this great big hill going down (the building was ontop of the hill), and we were stepping through the snow and each time we stepped, we would leave these really deep footprints in the snow and we would try to step in each other's footprints, as only one of us had boots on which prevented the-foot-freezing-off-thing. We kept losing our balance and I think we were hanging on to eachother and then we climbed ontop of a picnic table and... yeah. I don't remember.

dandin1
December 2nd, 2002, 06:44 PM
My mom always say that snow tunnels are dangerous. Once I made one that was 3 meters long. There is a school/community center in front of our house, and there's a big parking, so big mountains of snow!! :redsy :slagar

Cale Yin
December 4th, 2002, 06:18 PM
Wow... How did this thread get back here?... Anyway.
Today we had a "Winter Mix" with some freezing rain, sleet, snow, and then hail, along with the burningest coldness in... well, a year, I guess, but it's still way too cold to go out of the house. It's been 27 Fahrenheit all day but now it's colder. We went home at 2:15 instead of 3:30, and school might be delayed or canceled tomorrow. YAY!! :D

Lyrian Aryns
December 4th, 2002, 06:25 PM
It's been dark, nasty, rainy, drizzly all day... we even had hail earlier this morning. *sigh* Can't the temperature just drop a few degrees?

People here always say that they don't want school to be canceled because then we have to make it up in the summer... but if we have a lot of snow, I personally would rather be out of school for it...

MoonShadow
December 4th, 2002, 06:57 PM
School for us already ends really late, so I would rather have 2-hour delays instead of cancelled days, unless I have a project or something due that day that I didn't completely finish, which only happened once... er... twice.

They said there was going to be snow yesterday, and guess what? Partly cloudly, cold, windy day that I hated. And absolutely no snow. It'd be nice if there was A LOT of snow on Saturday morning, but I doubt it.

Lyrian Aryns
December 4th, 2002, 08:00 PM
Annoyingly, the weather people keep predicting snow... they have been for the past week. But have we gotten any? No... :rolleyes:

MoonShadow
December 5th, 2002, 11:41 AM
Oh yeah! Lots and lots of STICKING snow! And early dismissal at school, just late enough for us to bake pizza in Home Ecc! :D

And here's the "snow schedule"

-Sometime in the middle of math, our teacher shouts, "Oh my gosh, it's snow!" or something like that, and it just started to snow little tiny specks, but there was a lot of little tiny specks.

- snow starts sticking during 2nd period (science)
- more snow starts sticking in the same class (don't remember which period, since it was a double period) and substitute + snow made me really hyper.
- it's announced that all after school activities are cancelled
- its announced that school might be dismissed early
- an announcement is made that school is going to be dismissed during 6th period
- I cook pizza (doesn't have to do with snow, but still, it would be a bummer if I had Home Ecc after 6th period)
- school is dismissed
- I come home looking like a snowman.

Nothing much was really missed, since there were all-day conference so all of our major classes had subs.

Cale Yin
December 5th, 2002, 12:11 PM
WHEE... School is canceled. North Carolina and my whole region is on the news now because the storm we had has "caused more damage than Hurricane Hugo." The power outage is the biggest one in the history of Duke Power. Trees and branches are falling all over the place. The roads aren't even icy anymore. It's above freezing temperature by now.

And I'm fine, and no one I know has gotten hurt as far as I know. But I've seen some pretty bad stuff on the news- 1.2 million houses have no power, and a couple houses have been ruined by fallen trees; I saw a mangled car with a tree on top of it, and a down power line that was flaming. On the news.
And this is the day that my mom is having surgery on her foot. Great day to have surgery, eh? She'll be fine, it's not like open heart surgery or anything, but it's supposed to take at least five hours. Me and my sister aren't allowed outside because trees are all around us- I mean trees that are two and a half times as tall as our two-story house, and their branches are coming down constantly, and stuff. I took some pictures because it's pritty. ^_^

http://home.graffiti.net/Caleyin/icebackyard2002.JPG
http://home.graffiti.net/Caleyin/icefrontwayne2002.JPG
http://home.graffiti.net/Caleyin/icefrontroad2002.JPG

I walked up to the road and it looks like an ice sculpture neighborhood. Ack. My eye is twitching. >.0

And: IT DIDN'T EVEN SNOW. -.-

MoonShadow
December 5th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Good idea, take pictures. Very pritty here as well. Something tells me that we're getting no light from the solar-lamps outside the hous today.... Snow's covering up the panels. Anyway, they don't work too well, but they look nice.

I almost slipped while walking home twice, and then I decided I should put both of my backpack straps on my shoulder, so I'll be more balanced, and then everything was all better, except for the fact the bottom of my pants were dragging in the snow, so I walked all the way home pulling my pants up so the bottoms won't be drenched.

Ooh... nice area you live in Caleyin. Ever since Thanksgiving, I wanted to live in a more spaced out area with more trees and nature and stuff, but not rural.

Cale Yin
December 5th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Yeah. We have lots of oxygen in my neighborhood. ;)

Gabool the Wild
December 5th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Hmm...snow... I hate it I hate it I hate it, except around Christmas and when it gets me out of school, like today. It started snowing around 10:30 today and kept snowing until suddenly during E Block around 1:00, the princaple comes on the intercom and says that the superintendent said that we got to get out of school at 1:40 (20 minutes before usual) today. Why, we didnt just leave after E Block (1:10), and why we had to leave at all, I don't know since there's not really a lot of snow on the ground, maybe an inch and the snowflake are not big at all. Oh well.

Lyrian Aryns
December 5th, 2002, 05:29 PM
Bah. You actually get out of school early because of snow?

*sighs* It's raining outside. It was hailing last night. I just want it to snow... :\ *resigns self to another nasty snowless winter*

Lord Servone
December 5th, 2002, 06:04 PM
I snowed this morning...but it stopped shortly into first hour...by the end of the day, it was all gone...no snow day for me :(. I hope this isn't another mild winter like last year...
Snow days are extra special this time around...we don't have to make them up (cause we be seniors) >:D Muah ha ha ha ha ha!

MoonShadow
December 5th, 2002, 06:21 PM
The oldest-people-in-the-middle-school-who-can-be-related-as-the-seniors-of-the-middle-school shouldn't have to make up for snow days. ;) jk
Well, this year turned cold rather early... Last year's Thanksgiving wasn't as cold as this year's, so I can probably expect lots of snow this winter. And coldness. Brr....

dandin1
December 5th, 2002, 06:32 PM
Um, caleyin. This pics are huge, and grefitty is SLOW!

Cale Yin
December 5th, 2002, 07:07 PM
I know, I know. After they load they shrink a lot. I can't find my picture editing program, or I would make them smaller. Sorry.

Darkhood_343
December 6th, 2002, 04:18 PM
BIG pics Caleyin. I think I posted this before in the old forum but I helped uild a snow car with some nieghbors down the street last year. It was kewl. And you could sit in it.:)

VanessaNB
December 6th, 2002, 04:22 PM
We got a whole pile 'o snow. But our school was not cancelled, despite the road conditions. Why?
Because, like I said, it's based on the weather in Shelburne. We don't have a "weather lookout" or whatever on the island, so they didn't know we got a ton of the white fluffy stuff, and they weather station (therefore) thinks the storm missed our area altogether. I simply love the way things work, don't you?
But my mom let us stay home, and we went sledding, and rented two movies: Lilo and Stitch (coolies!) and Austen Powers in Goldmember (shoot me. I haven't watched it yet).

MoonShadow
December 7th, 2002, 06:44 PM
YAY! We had a 2 hour delay on Friday, and along with the early dismissal the day before, it was the best you can ask for! Why? Because we didn't use up a snow day! :D

And now.. the snow is slowly... melting... away... Though a lot of it is still left.... I took 2 pritty pictures of the snow with my camera that-only-works-outside, but still, not enough to get the pictures developed.

Cale Yin
December 8th, 2002, 09:17 AM
Because of the power outages, I had Friday off too... that means I get lots of extra time for my project, but we have to take Christmas Break days to make up for it. >:(

Darkhood_343
December 8th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Because of the power outages, I had Friday off too... that means I get lots of extra time for my project, but we have to take Christmas Break days to make up for it. >:(

Well I don't get snow days off...heck I don't get any days off:(

VanessaNB
December 8th, 2002, 05:09 PM
All our snow is gone, gone (except a few patches) gone!
Gonegonegone....When you say the same word, over and over sevral times, it starts to sound very strange. Gonegonegone.

Darkhood_343
December 8th, 2002, 07:40 PM
Gonegonegone....When you say the same word, over and over sevral times, it starts to sound very strange. Gonegonegone.

Ya know, your right. Gonegonegonegone...

Cale Yin
December 11th, 2002, 07:43 PM
I found out that we're making it up sometime next semester... And tomorrow the high is 57. That's Charlotte/Fort Mill for you... Terrible historic ice storm, then 57 a few days later...