PDA

View Full Version : Can the Abbot or Abbess be married in Redwall?

Jodan
July 25th, 2004, 08:16 PM
Does anyone think that the Father Abbot or Mother Abbess could be married while they held their titles? I don't see why not, since the titles of Brother, Sister, Friar, Abbot, Abbess, etc aren't related to religion at all, and I've never seen anything in the books that says they can't. Thoughts?

LordTBT
July 26th, 2004, 01:17 AM
While in a sense they *are* religion related, (the sect of Redwall, heh) I would assume the Abbot/Abbess cannot be married.

Lord Servone
July 26th, 2004, 02:38 AM
The closest instance I can think of pertaining to this was when Mortimer told Matthias he couldn't become a brother in Redwall because he was to be protector of Cornflower (its been a long time since I read Redwall, so I don't remember all too well.)

Cheesethief
July 26th, 2004, 05:52 AM
no, i believe they cant. it doesnt seem right to me.

Hordern
July 26th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Well, traditionally, all Abbots or Abessess are NOT forbidden to marry.
Nevertheless, they are discouraged to for the marriage may do something bad to their belief I think. Perhaps we should try contacting a real life Abbey...

... There are some in France, I think.

Jodan
July 26th, 2004, 09:47 AM
In real life, the Abbots and Abbesses of the Catholic Church aren't allowed to be married. But Brian Jacques has clearly stated on many occasions that there is no religion in Redwall.

Candied Chesnut
July 26th, 2004, 10:11 PM
thats true, but it has never been done before and i think its frowned upon

LordTBT
July 26th, 2004, 10:41 PM
In real life, the Abbots and Abbesses of the Catholic Church aren't allowed to be married. But Brian Jacques has clearly stated on many occasions that there is no religion in Redwall.

theres a religion to an extent. We just dont know about it.
Read my editorial at the main page. X)

Welcome to the forums Candied!

rowanoak
July 27th, 2004, 08:21 AM
Another thing that hints that the full brothers and sisters of "Redwall" are not allowed to marry is the fact that when Brother Alf, in the book "Redwall," is scolding Colin for joking about how Matthias and Cornflower were behaving at the feast, he implies that Matthias would not be allowed to marry. At least that is what I throught what Brother Alf meant by what he said.

LordTBT
July 27th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Abbots/Abbesses would never be able to get married anyway- as traditionally Abbots/Abbesses are the ones who preside over the weddings.

Firerunner
July 27th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Like you said Abbots and Abesses were of the Catholic Church and the Fathers(or preists)cannot get married or have children.

Cheesethief
July 28th, 2004, 10:46 AM
... There are some in France, I think. there are convents etc everywhere! ther are ones in london, probably edinburgh too! theyre all over!

Like you said Abbots and Abesses were of the Catholic Church and the Fathers(or preists)cannot get married or have children. that didnt stop them over here before the reformation.

Firerunner
July 28th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Okay then Cheese I did not know that.

Cheesethief
July 29th, 2004, 04:32 PM
what, the reformation or the convents? :D

Hordern
July 30th, 2004, 09:52 AM
hey Cheese y'cant really expect ME to know...

...I don't come from Britain or U.S.A or any European countries you know. I don't know much about Abbeys either. So pardon my ignorance.

i still think it's not advisable for Abbots or Abbesses to marry. Besides, isn't this sort of thing SUPPOSED to be based on religion? And I've never seen BJ state anywhere then it isn't based on religion. How do you write a book about religion that ISN'T based on religion?

Firerunner
July 30th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Besides, isn't this sort of thing SUPPOSED to be based on religion? And I've never seen BJ state anywhere then it isn't based on religion. How do you write a book about religion that ISN'T based on religion?

He has clearly stated many times before that it has nothing to do with religion. :rolleyes:

Jodan
July 30th, 2004, 12:10 PM
BJ wanted to create a sense of peacefulness, and that is why the books are set around an Abbey, instead of a castle, whose purpose is defense against war.

Candied Chesnut
July 30th, 2004, 08:55 PM
many people have asked BJ what redwalls religion is, and hes always replied that redwall has no religion. abbots and abbesses not being allowed to marry is catholic, but an abbey and abbots and abbesses are catholic too. thats about all the religion there really is. he doesnt even describe the weddings for fear it might show religious meaning. who knows, maybe one day, BJ will right a book where the abbot/abbess gets married...

Cheesethief
July 31st, 2004, 08:02 AM
the problem is, if the abbot/abbess had children, then would they be by default the successors to the "throne"? or would some other creature take up the mantle? if the latter occurred, that would stir up envy, jealousy and hatred not before seen in redwall since the days of
veil sixclaw.. so of course this sparks an endless conflict, as was happening in britain during the middle ages and beyond. distant relatives staking a claim, invaders trying for the crown...i should write an editorial...

Summerstar
August 18th, 2004, 08:40 PM
Are any Abbots or Abesses married? I think it is safe to assume they cant untill one does, then we will know they can :D

Candied Chesnut
August 18th, 2004, 11:17 PM
the problem is, if the abbot/abbess had children, then would they be by default the successors to the "throne"? or would some other creature take up the mantle? if the latter occurred, that would stir up envy, jealousy and hatred not before seen in redwall since the days of
veil sixclaw.. so of course this sparks an endless conflict, as was happening in britain during the middle ages and beyond. distant relatives staking a claim, invaders trying for the crown...i should write an editorial...

well yes but the abbey warrior passes down his/her rank to his/her children, if they had any. it occurs to me that matthias and mattimeo were the only warriors who had children who carried the sword. im not sure if this is a spoiler so but i put it on just in case.