PDA

View Full Version : Watership Down/Redwall

Lonna Bowstripe
July 31st, 2004, 03:49 PM
On some editions of Redwall, I've noticed that reviews compare it to Watership Down. I'm reading Watership down, and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with Redwall except talking animals.

Cheesethief
August 1st, 2004, 05:26 PM
you now the people who review these. if you read it online somewhere, like on redwall.org's la dita, its rubbish. these people cant even spell "redwall", and they just think of talking animals as a watership down thing. by the way-i never read the book, used to see the tv series, but i didnt really count it as a "one to watch".

Lord Servone
August 1st, 2004, 07:23 PM
That is simply why these say its in the spirit of Watership Down: talking animal adventures. I think I also saw one review compare it to the Wind and the Willows...

Cheesethief
August 2nd, 2004, 12:28 PM
precisely. i mean... how different are they? sure, they fight weasels and stuff, but they drive cars and toad is a good guy...well, kinda...i mean, the wind in the willows is nothing like redwall.

Lonna Bowstripe
August 2nd, 2004, 12:34 PM
you now the people who review these. if you read it online somewhere, like on redwall.org's la dita, its rubbish. these people cant even spell "redwall", and they just think of talking animals as a watership down thing. by the way-i never read the book, used to see the tv series, but i didnt really count it as a "one to watch".
I saw it on the back of a paperback American edition of Redwall.

I think I also saw one review compare it to the Wind and the Willows...
What!? Watership Down and Redwall have nothing to do with Wind in the Willows

Cheesethief
August 2nd, 2004, 12:43 PM
a paperback? really? woah. the sheer idiocy of these reviewers. ;) NB-if the reviewer comes on, i am absolutely NOT in france for the next few weeks, so he/she wont find me there. uh-uh.

Chelki Sureshot
August 2nd, 2004, 02:26 PM
I couldn't stand Watership Down. It's nothing compared to Redwall. It's got humans for cryin' out loud.

Martin the Warrior
August 2nd, 2004, 05:28 PM
I didn't know having humans was a bad thing. ;)

Watership Down was a wonderful book, in any case. Don't go in expecting something like Redwall and you won't be disappointed.

Felldoh
August 2nd, 2004, 06:15 PM
Personally, I liked Watership Down much more than the Redwall series. Excellent book, and the movie is my favorite animated movie.

Bereden the Intrepid
August 2nd, 2004, 06:37 PM
Watership Down was Excellent. I also liked the sequel, Tales from Watership Down.

Grath
August 2nd, 2004, 10:41 PM
Watership Down was a very good book but the only part that seemed related to Redwall was the battle with Efrafa well maybe if they added swords or something.

Another book that they say is like redwall are those Silverwing series with the bats. I don't really see that though.

Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH is a little more like Redwall, well the movie at least.

Aleisou Swiftpounce
August 5th, 2004, 02:29 PM
The fact that Watership Down and The Wind in the Willows have talking animals has nothing to do with it. Watership Down - pah, you might as well say the Animals of Farthing Wood is like Redwall! And The Wind in the Willows has people, cars, court, explosives (in the film anyway) and much more.
These people really are dunces.

Another book which might be like Redwall could be Robin Jarvis' Deptford Mice/Deptford Histories. They are more likely than The Wind in the Willows or Watership Down anyway, seeing as they have mice as the goodies, rats as the baddies, they use swords and they are humanoid. But they have magic in them, so I guess not.

Candied Chesnut
August 5th, 2004, 10:10 PM
redwall kinda has magic, with the spirit of martin the warrior and all. but thats about it...

Madd The Sane
August 6th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH is a little more like Redwall, well the movie at least.
In a way I don't think so…
And the book is way different from the movies (yes there are two moovies) What I find odd is that in the movies they have the name be Mrs. Brisby like there going to get sued or something…

Felldoh
August 6th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Why did you remind me of that second movie? *Shudder* I enjoyed the first movie (and book), but the second movie just sucked...

I'm halfway through the Dark Portal, and I must say, it rocks. Though I don't see how people could compare that to any of the three series mentioned.

Aleisou Swiftpounce
August 6th, 2004, 03:45 PM
What????
*Splutters*
The Dark Portal is just is good as any of them! Sorry, but I'm just a huge fan of Robin Jarvis... Mainly because he made a good rat and an evil mouse, changes the stereotypes a bit. And his endings aren't all that happy-dappy. And he used a sable. A sable! YAY!

I get hyper easily. :)

Felldoh
August 6th, 2004, 03:51 PM
I feel you misunderstood me. I loved the Dark Portal, more so than most of the Redwall books and more than Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, what I meant was it shouldn't be compared as in they are nothing alike.

Chelki Sureshot
August 9th, 2004, 02:22 PM
I didn't know having humans was a bad thing. ;)They're bad. They're horrible. They don't belong in the same world as talking animals.

Lord Servone
August 9th, 2004, 03:23 PM
I have the Dark Portal series (at least the first two books)...though I haven't gotten around to reading them. I got it as a gift, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet; as I probably won't read any anthro books/stories until I finish my own series.

Anyway, as an interesting note,there was supposed to be a third Secret of NIMH movie due out in 2001...but I guess it never materialized. It was supposed to be a prequel to the original one and probably better than the drivel that was probably 2 (though I never saw it...the cover with a goofy looking cattepillar was enough to deter me from doing so).

Felldoh
August 9th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Drivel dosen't quite describe the second movie well enough.

If you never get to reading your Deptford Mice series, I'll buy it from you. :D I wanna buy em, but its dang near impossible to find them for some reason.

Lonna Bowstripe
August 15th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Buy them here (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/104-7982247-0159963)

Felldoh
August 16th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Thanks, but you know whats funny? Right after I wrote that I went down to the local book store to order them, but they happened to have all three of them in a very obscure location and I was able to buy all three of them for $22 in all. :D

Madd The Sane
August 23rd, 2004, 12:57 PM
I just read Watership Down (finish time: 3 or 4 days). It wasn't like, or even simaler, to Redwall (I was kind of dissapointed). The only thing remotely simaler is animals, mostly rabbits, that communicate with each other.

Did you know that there are 3 books in the NIMH series? The last two are written by a different author.

Bereden the Intrepid
August 23rd, 2004, 04:17 PM
Did you know that there are 3 books in the NIMH series? The last two are written by a different author.

Really? what are the names of the other two books?

Felldoh
August 23rd, 2004, 04:24 PM
"Racso and the Rats of NIMH" and "R-T, Margaret, and the Rats of NIMH", both by Robert C. O'Brien's daughter Jane Leslie Conly.

Ferahgo the Assassin
August 23rd, 2004, 08:43 PM
I actually liked Watership Down a lot; it was a real classic. The sequel was really good too ... the collection of stories, Tales from Watership Down or something like that. I even thought the movie was pretty good, even though the people who made it were obviously on crack or something. :P

Have any of you read a book called The Cold Moons by Aeron Clement? It's a bit like Watership Down in that it revolves around a colony of animals trying to find a new home because of attempted extermination by humans, but it features BADGERS instead of rabbits. And everyone knows how cool badgers are. :D It's a really good book!

Felldoh
August 24th, 2004, 10:47 AM
I've yet to read Tales from Watership Down, but I do own it and I do plan on reading it when I finish the Redwall and Deptford Mice series. I'll have to check out The Cold Moons too.

Cheesethief
August 24th, 2004, 04:10 PM
They're bad. They're horrible. They don't belong in the same world as talking animals. speak for y'self... ;) but if you saw a talking animal, what would you do? (thread potential here eh?)

Lonna Bowstripe
August 24th, 2004, 06:11 PM
Tales From Watership is awesome! Don't get confused though-The first part is a bunch of seperate stories. The 2nd part is a story with four chapters. And the last part is basically, a chapter book. (Took me a few minutes to figure that out. :p )

Ferahgo the Assassin
August 24th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Ooh, reactions toward meeting a talking animal? That's a very cool thread starter, Cheese! Although I'd have to say that if I met a talking animal my reaction would really depend on what it was saying ...

And whether or not it was wearing clothes and wielding weapons, too! :D

Then I'd get all freaked out and curious, thinking it was a new, highly developed species of an isolated community that somehow involved human-like intelligence, hah!

Akkess of Empyrean
August 24th, 2004, 07:09 PM
At first, I would question my sanity, not that I don't question it already ;) .
Then I would wonder if I was dreaming, or if I ate something wierd.
Either way, that would be so cool :D :cool: !

Watership Down was a great book. It puts you in the place of another animal.