PDA

View Full Version : Volcanic Island Theory

Akkess of Empyrean
August 16th, 2004, 05:31 PM
If you look at most of the maps in the Redwall books, you'll usually see Salamandastron. Now if I'm not mistaken, Salamandastron is an extinct volcano.I know Redwall is from a book and all that and BJ probably didn't intend this, but is it possible that the island where Redwall Abbey sits upon was first formed by Salamandastron when it was active? I mean, look at the Hawaiian Islands, they were all formed by plate tectonics that rubbed or rode up on eachother to form volcanoes like Kiluea and Mauna Loa. There would be other contributing factors to island formation besides erupting volcanoes,of course, but if you look at Salamandastron on the cover of the book "Salamandastron", it's pretty big, as is the island that the books are based upon. It must have been a highly active volcano.
Another point to back up my theory, remember in Mattimeo when Matthias and co. discover the abyss, and how an earthquake demolished Loamhedge? Well, earthquakes of that scale frequent areas where there is high volcanic activity and where plate tectonics are moving(think California with the San Andreas fault).
Also, in The Legend of Luke, the map shows a bunch of islands like Beau's island, Wood isle, the Twin islands, Ranguvar's island, and low and behold: Volcano island. So here's the the main theory: the Redwall isalnds are on top of a hot spot. This means that a rift has formed from two plates moving around, creating a space for magma to escape from.
Okay, so you know how the crust plates are always moving, and you know that Salamadastron was active.So, I figure that the rift where magma was seeping from the ground was actually Salamandastron and since the plates move, the rift also moved-and formed a new volcano. (Seismic activity may also explain why the twin islands cracked in two.)To prove this, I'll relate to the cataclysmic events in 1883 when Krakatoa erupted, making the island it sat upon cave in.(Krakatoa was the worst eruption in recorded history).Krakatoa then became extinct, but a new volcano, called the Son of Krakatoa appeared not to long after, and only a few kilometers away from it's "father". Scientists know that this new volcano is actually the same one based on the movement of rifts.(Another example of this is happening on the Hawaiian islands as well). So the the volcano on Volcano Island would be a new Salamandastron.

So there you have it. What d'ya think? Sorry for the "small" paragraph. :rolleyes: Man, I'm such a nerd. :lol: This stuff really interests me, so that's what I do,think about why things are the way they are, even if I'm thinking about a book. ;) Freaky,huh?

Bereden the Intrepid
August 16th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Your theory is very interesting. I think that your deduction could very well be correct.

Akkess of Empyrean
August 16th, 2004, 05:55 PM
It makes sense to me, I mean, it may also explain the numerous mountains that border the ocean around Salamandastron and the mountains in the north. Mountains can be formed by plate tectonics subducting underneath eachother, or oceans carving the rock. In this case both would fit because the mountains are close to the ocean, and close to Salamandastron and a possible hot spot. It also makes sense with time. The son of Krakatoa is almost as big as the original Krakatoa, and that's over a space of a little more than a century, and that's pretty impressive when you think about it. Maybe Volcano island is a century or two old. And perhaps Salamandastron did the same thing as Krakatoa: Blow up, destroy an island, affect all things within a hundred mile radius, become extinct, and start a family.

I have another theory, but it's about the TV show.Excuse me while I go and rant some more :rolleyes:

Lonna Bowstripe
August 16th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Looking at your avatar, Bereden, I would think that you would have thought of that...
Anyway, I wouldn't call where Redwall is an island, I would call it a continent. (even thought a continent is an island) Yes, I think you could very well be true. Only... Salamandastron can't exactly float in the water, can it? :D

Akkess of Empyrean
August 16th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Technically, no, but the continents and plates are floating on a sea of molten rock beneath the earth's crust, so Salamandastron did actually form on land. Basically, either the large island which Redwall takes place on (yes, I would call it an island, as Hawaii is an island, and Madagascar is an island.they're just big) was there to begin with, or the rift in which magma was seeping through formed the rock part of Salamandastron, making it look like a mountain.

I could try showing a picture if you want, but I don't think you'll want to see it.

Lonna Bowstripe
August 16th, 2004, 06:06 PM
I was being sarcastic...
And if you want to show a map, you're gonna have to have a memberswhip on graffiti.net

Akkess of Empyrean
August 16th, 2004, 06:15 PM
I know you were being sarcastic, but I just felt like typing it anyway, let the world know,you know ;) .Never mind about the picture, in that case.

Lonna Bowstripe
August 16th, 2004, 06:17 PM
I don't want to have a membership on a million sites either.

Say, I'm a patroller!! I'm a patroller!! I'm a patroller!! I'm a patroller!! I'm a patroller!! I'm a patroller!! I'm a patroller!! I'm a patroller!! I'm a patroller!! I'm a patroller!! I'm a patroller!! I'm a patroller!! I'm a patroller!! I'm a patroller!! I'm a patroller!! I'm a patroller!! I'm a patroller!! I'm a patroller!! I'm a patroller!! I'm a patroller!! I'm a patroller!! I'm a patroller!! I'm a patroller!! I'm a patroller!! I'm a patroller!! I'm a patroller!! I'm a patroller!!

Akkess of Empyrean
August 16th, 2004, 06:26 PM
Nice job! Congrats! :) :cool: :lol: :p :D

LordTBT
August 16th, 2004, 06:43 PM
i disagree. Redwall is on the mainland...NOT AN ISLAND.

Akkess of Empyrean
August 16th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Yes, Redwall abbey is on the mainland, and the mainland that Redwall is on happens to be an island, does it not?

LordTBT
August 17th, 2004, 11:18 AM
No. We don't know that for sure. We don't know how far East or South it goes. It is not an island.

Akkess of Empyrean
August 17th, 2004, 01:06 PM
True enough. Still, it doesn't have to be an island to make the theory plausible. Areas with lots of volcanic and seismic activity aren't restricted to islands(I should have included that before, sorry).

Okay, if the "piece of land" is indeed connected, what do you think it's connected to?

Chelki Sureshot
August 17th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Islands usually aren't tropical and snowy, are they? Unless they're really big.

Akkess of Empyrean
August 17th, 2004, 01:35 PM
What do you mean by tropical and snowy? Anyway, it doesn't matter. Islands, large or small, can be tropical, cold, or temperate. It just depends where they are in the world.

LordTBT
August 17th, 2004, 01:43 PM
If you havent already, please purchase a copy of the(outdated) Redwall Map & Riddler. You will then notice, it is in fact not an island.

Akkess of Empyrean
August 17th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Actually, I have that, but I haven't looked at it in a while, and I don't know where it is.......Anyway, I stand by what I said, with perhaps a few modifications.

-If itsn't an island, than what is it?

Ferahgo the Assassin
August 17th, 2004, 04:52 PM
I think what Chelki meant by saying an island can't be tropical and snowy is that in order to span the latitudes of both hot and cold, it'd have to be reeeaaally big. Any body of land, really. Hawaii is tropical because all of it is in tropical regions, but South America, for instance, is really tropical up north but frigid down south, where it's close to Anarctica. The world of Redwall is very hot down south, and very cold up north, hinting that it's more of a continent than an island.

But I definitely like your idea, and I too always thought there was some connection between the Salamandastron and the southern earthquakes. In fact, long ago I began writing a fanfic about the formation of Salamandastron ... but that's another story. :p

Actually, I'd be inclined to agree with you -- I think that Brian Jacques modelled his Redwall world after the British Isles, but I can't be sure.

It makes one wonder how big the Redwall world really is. We need a Christopher Columbus mousie to make a journey all the way around and see, haha.

That's just my two cents!

LordTBT
August 17th, 2004, 06:05 PM
If itsn't an island, than what is it?

.... :rolleyes: A continent. The mainland. I dont know how many times I've said it. Dig up your Map & Riddler.

Goddess of Darkness
August 17th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Accually, even continents and groups of continents are surrounded on all sides by water, so...yeah...

Akkess of Empyrean
August 17th, 2004, 06:24 PM
I don't know many times have I said it.
-not enough times, apparently ;). Perhaps I was asking for other opinions. Sorry, sometimes I forget things. Boy, I'm going to have to dig deep to find the Map & Riddler.

And Feragho, thankyou for bringing up the fact about the cold in the north and warm in the south. I forgot about that :rolleyes:

LordTBT
August 17th, 2004, 06:26 PM
Accually, even continents and groups of continents are surrounded on all sides by water, so...yeah...

Have fun next time you visit the Isle of Eurasia :rolleyes:

Akkess of Empyrean
August 17th, 2004, 06:28 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: Well, no matter the size, if it be a small island, a large island, or a continent, my theory can still be supported.

Goddess of Darkness
August 17th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Have fun next time you visit the Isle of Eurasia :rolleyes:

I visited it recently, and I had a wonderful time, thank you very much, TBT. :D

Cinnabarr Rivershell
August 17th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Redwall Abbey and Mossflower country and all that are not located on an island. They are located on a huge mass of earth. Last time I checked what a huge mass of earth was, it was called a continent.

Akkess of Empyrean
August 17th, 2004, 11:17 PM
Okay, every one is saying it's a continent, so it's a continent. My hypothesis still stands.

Lonna Bowstripe
August 18th, 2004, 12:24 PM
i disagree. Redwall is on the mainland...NOT AN ISLAND.

Redwall Abbey and Mossflower country and all that are not located on an island. They are located on a huge mass of earth. Last time I checked what a huge mass of earth was, it was called a continent

Technically, NA is an island. So is EU, and all the other continents.

Goddess of Darkness
August 18th, 2004, 05:21 PM

Exactly what I was saying.

Cinnabarr Rivershell
August 18th, 2004, 09:27 PM

Exactly what I was saying.

Then I along with TBT wish you all a happy stay on the Isle of Eurasia the next time you visit. :rolleyes:

Goddess of Darkness
August 18th, 2004, 11:14 PM
I went recently and had a wonderful time. I'm glad you all care so much for our enjoyment. :D

Akkess of Empyrean
August 19th, 2004, 12:08 AM
That's what we're here for! ;) Enjoyment :p

Cheesethief
August 24th, 2004, 03:53 PM
i thought this wasd common knowledge...but...
the south and east seas are seen in some redwall maps. but the north, now, i think that it is connected to a large land mass. now, that would mean that redwall land is a peninsula. still, the volcanics going on could mean that the peninsular was an island that joined to the mainland. (the us and uk move apart at fingernail-growth rate.) so, the island part of this title is possibly void. isnt every piece of land an island though? debate time...
and, look for a tectonics map and boot it up, or i will, akkess.
and i thought we were here to discuss redwall. wheres this enjoyment, eh? ;)

Akkess of Empyrean
August 24th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Alrighty then, here's a tectonic map on the world.
http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/volc/fig37.gif
And here's another map on rifts in the Hawaiian islands.
http://www.jochemnet.de/fiu/earth6.jpg
Sorry for size Everbody.

Cinnabarr Rivershell
August 24th, 2004, 06:12 PM
BLAST the person who taught you how to post pictures! I've never been one for science. Hey! I live on a peninsula.

Akkess of Empyrean
August 24th, 2004, 06:25 PM
It's simple. When you post something, there's an icon with a yellow background and a gray mountain and sun. Click that and type the address in.
Don't worry, it took me a while to figure that out ;) .

Cinnabarr Rivershell
August 24th, 2004, 06:31 PM
I know how to post a picture thank you. Examine my post above more closely and you will see what I meant.

Akkess of Empyrean
August 24th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Oh.......HAHA!! :lol: Sorry. How silly of me! :rolleyes:

Cheesethief
August 25th, 2004, 07:27 AM
okay, so, if the uk is nowhere near a plate boundary, why do we get earthquakes? there was one in scotland a few weeks ago. so, why is this? does anyone know, cos i do, and akkess is mr/mrs geography (i dont even know) so if she answers ill liste to her more readily.
anyways, those images will show you how a volcano works, or if you live near a fault. now, if i had a map of redwall, the fault line would be around the coast, possibly passing very close to the southlands. now, if redwall country was a volcanic island, this would be correct. but what i am thinking is this: salamandastron AND the "volcano island" are BOTH extinct/dormant (exctinct prob.) so this would leave me to believe that the next "son" would be further northwest. if this ring continues around the mainland, as it was, then not only would redwall land be a volcanic island, but the whole continent could be sitting on a plate.
but, whatever.

Trowbaggs
August 25th, 2004, 12:22 PM
I don't think BJ thinks to much on the geography of redwall. He just scribles a map down for each book.

Akkess of Empyrean
August 25th, 2004, 07:43 PM
It's Miss Geography. ;) The answer to your question Cheesethief:
That earthquake you had in Scotland probably didn't even occur in Scotland.
Believe it or not, earthquakes high up on the rictor scale can not only affect the area it took place in, but it can also affect an area halfway around the world, based on shockwaves. I can remember sitting watching TV late one night and out of nowhere, a wierd, almost wavelike jolt shook the whole house. The next day I was reading the newspaper and was shocked to find that there had been a massive earthquake in Japan that occured at EXACTLY the same time the house shook. I live in Canada. That's a long was from the earthquake's focus point, but I experienced how plate tectonics can greatly affect one another. Now in your case, note that there is a boundary near Spain,Portugal, Italy, etc. Italy is well known for Mount Etna and Mount Vesuvius. They are both highly active volcanos and earthquakes are frequent.
So it's possible there was an earthquake somewhere in southern Europe, or possibly one occured in the ocean and you felt it in Scotland. If not, well I have another explanation.

Cinnabarr Rivershell
August 26th, 2004, 12:16 AM
Hey Cheese. Maybe that earthquake you felt was from my good ole' California. I mean Japan to Canada. Then I'm sure that California to Scotland is possible. :lol:

Cheesethief
August 26th, 2004, 11:56 AM
I don't think BJ thinks to much on the geography of redwall. He just scribles a map down for each book correct...but we like to nitpick. apparently.

It's Miss Geography. ok, gottit.

Italy is well known for Mount Etna and Mount Vesuvius. They are both highly active volcanos and earthquakes are frequent. vesuvius is, in fact, not active, but dormant.

So it's possible there was an earthquake somewhere in southern Europe, or possibly one occured in the ocean and you felt it in Scotland. If not, well I have another explanation. fire away.

Hey Cheese. Maybe that earthquake you felt was from my good ole' California. I mean Japan to Canada. Then I'm sure that California to Scotland is possible. it would have to be big. this earthquake was about 5 on the richter.

Candied Chesnut
August 28th, 2004, 12:11 AM
Hey Cheese. Maybe that earthquake you felt was from my good ole' California. I mean Japan to Canada. Then I'm sure that California to Scotland is possible. :lol:

gee...if it were THAT big, you'd prob not have survived as SF is in the way of the san andreas fault which is a hotspot for earthquakes and that fault makes huge quakes. but hey, i live along the san andreas fault too so i'd be dead as well.

Cinnabarr Rivershell
August 28th, 2004, 12:49 AM
I was joking everyone. I've only experienced one bad earthquake, and that was the dreadful 1989 earthquake. (Hey, even if I was a drooling baby, I still experienced it.)

Lonna Bowstripe
August 28th, 2004, 10:42 AM
:rolleyes:

Cheesethief
August 28th, 2004, 02:32 PM
spam, man. spam.
anyway, i just nailed thps4, san francisco level. the disc got scratched years ago, and i just got it fixed. san francisco rocks!

Cinnabarr Rivershell
August 28th, 2004, 04:38 PM
san francisco rocks!
BOO YEA!!!!! Thanks! SF REPRESENT!!!!!!!

Akkess of Empyrean
August 28th, 2004, 04:44 PM
What's cool is Cinnabarr is possibly experiencing an earthquake as we speak, er, type. Most earthquakes are too weak to be felt.

Candied Chesnut
August 28th, 2004, 04:52 PM
i did a whole unit on earthquakes in 6th grade. its funny cuz i can still remember it.

cinn, u really love san fransisco dont u? its a really nice city, except china town. its filty there!

Cinnabarr Rivershell
August 28th, 2004, 05:05 PM
cinn, u really love san fransisco dont u? its a really nice city, except china town. its filty there!
I love it to death!!!!!!!!! As for China Town. It smells horrible and it is quite filthy, but you can buy things there for really cheep prices. My brother went down there when he was sixteen and bought himself a real sword for $20!!!! I don't know how he got it on the bus when he was coming home, but somehow he did. :lol:

Cheesethief
August 29th, 2004, 06:33 AM
i can still remember my first visit to londons chinatown...yeah, it was cool. :D