PDA

View Full Version : A Change of Heart?

Keyla
August 17th, 2004, 05:23 AM
Brian says that when he writes a new Tale of Redwall he knows how it will start, how it will and somewhat what happens in the middle, but he maintains that he writes pretty much as the pen carries him. As his readers we only get finished product and don't really know how much his ideas evolve while he writes. However, I noticed something rather curious in the prolouge for Loamhedge:

Let me tell you a story of travellers, and the paths they followed. Of young ones, like yourself, sometimes uncertain of direction, and often reluctant to listen to the voices of sense and wisdom. Of a mighty warrior, set on acourse of destiny and vengeance, unstoppable in his resolve. Of an evil one and his crew, cruel and ruthless, bound on a march of distruction and conquest. Of a simple maid and her friends, homebodies whose only aims were peace and well-being for all. Of wicked, foolish wanderers, chasing fantasies and fables, consumed by their own greed. Of small babes who dreamed small dreams, not knowing what the future held in store for them. And, finally, of two friends, faithful and true, who had roamed many highways and together chose their own way.

Now for the first time in the series Brian gives us a list of the characters we are to expect in the tale. Most we are quick to identify:

young ones, like yourself, sometimes uncertain of direction, and often reluctant to listen to the voices of sense and wisdom Horty, Fenna and Springald

a mighty warrior, set on acourse of destiny and vengeance, unstoppable in his resolve Lonna Bowstripe

an evil one and his crew, cruel and ruthless, bound on a march of distruction and conquest Raga Bol and his crew

a simple maid and her friends, homebodies whose only aims were peace and well-being for all Martha and the redwallers

wicked, foolish wanderers, chasing fantasies and fables, consumed by their own greed Badredd, Flinky and the rest of the bumbling vermin crew, though rather harshly described

two friends, faithful and true, who had roamed many highways and together chose their own way Sarabando and Bragoon

However, there is one description that seems to refer to another character group:

small babes who dreamed small dreams, not knowing what the future held in store for them

When I first read this I expected some significant dibbun antics, such as in Triss or The Pearls of Lutra, yet there is little of the sort. The abbey babes are not missing from the tale- Martha sings to them, their one significant incident results in Junty's tragic death- yet nothing justifies such a description at the start of the novel. What are these "small dreams" and what did the future hold in store for them. Muggum went on to become cellarkeeper but this is hardly something out of the ordinary. When I first read it I thought it to be Sarabando and Bragoon until I read the next one on the list, which was clearly them.

It really is all quite mystifying to me unless one considers that Brian might have changed his plans while writing. But if so, why? Did he decide that these antics were not particularly original and that other characters such as Horty, Little Redd, Flinky and Halfchop were providing plenty of comic relief and that they were doing it while contributing to the serious plot while a dibbun element would have just felt like an unnecessary addition? Did he recieve some fan-mail expressing a negative opinion on this kind of comedy as is held by some in the ROC? Did he simply get caught up with other narrative strands and forget to weave this element in amoungst them?

Can anyone offer any alternative reasons? Is there a character that I've simply forgotten or a plot thread that I've overlooked? If this is an omitted plot thread, what was Brian intending?

Cheesethief
August 24th, 2004, 02:59 PM
well...i...oh no, now im gonna have to read it again. cheers mate! at first when i read this i was confused by other books, but ill have another read and tell you what i find, if anything.