PDA

View Full Version : Rakkety Tam Release Date

Lonna Bowstripe
August 27th, 2004, 07:01 PM
I called a bookstore near me to preorder Rakkety Tam, and they said it was coming out (US) September 8th. Then I remembered I had a coupon for another bookstore, so I preorderd it there. They said it was coming out on the 6th. So, the US can expect it sometime in early September.

Ferahgo the Assassin
August 27th, 2004, 07:47 PM
w00t! I'm so excited! I've been looking forward to this book for, like, ages. FINALLY a Redwall book with a different species of vermin. Every time a new one comes out, I always can't wait to find out what the main bad guy will be like. A wolverine is so nifty! :D I can't wait.

Martin the Warrior
August 27th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Not necessarily news. The Rakkety Tam release date has been known since January (and been posted on the Newsline).

Of course, nothing wrong with a little reminder. ;)

Cinnabarr Rivershell
August 27th, 2004, 10:11 PM
I was at Borders getting some CD's, when I decided to go to the Fiction area for books. When I walked past the Redwall section I saw 10 Brand SPANKIN' NEW books of Rakkety Tam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not joking with you guys!!!!! I'm totally serious. At first, I culdn't beleve my eyes. I thought that maybe it was some practical joke that the people that worked there did. But then I opened once of the books and examined it closely. And it was indeed Rakkety Tam!!!!!!!!!! I'm sooooooooooo excited!!!! I can't believe that I got it in August!!! I mean AUGUST!!!!!!!! Anyways, while you guys are waiting for September to come along, I'll have already finished the book. :p Once again. I'm not joking. I'm dead serious. I actually got it!

Ferahgo the Assassin
August 27th, 2004, 10:17 PM
Argh! Lucky! :mad:

LadyBeelze
August 27th, 2004, 10:52 PM
I can't wait either! Though i'll probably get a copy from the library if they have it, they don't have one redwall book so i wouldn't expect it (though my mum just got the job as a assistant librarian so i can ask her to get a book for the library if i want). *groan* I wish i hadn't spent my money on all those DVDs now. I'm broke. And wolverines sound so darn cool!

LordTBT
August 28th, 2004, 12:34 AM
I'm sure Martin's already had it for a while too. Wheres the review Martin? :D

TwinBlade Shortsword
August 28th, 2004, 12:48 AM
Yahoo it is coming out soon can't wait even because it actually has an evil chap from North America that is part of the skunk family according to fact, wot wot ( go wolverine)

Felldoh
August 28th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Cool. I'll buy it after I buy Silent Hill 4 (Comes out on the 7th).

Cheesethief
August 28th, 2004, 03:30 PM
silent hill 4 is out here! yay!
woah...this is a joke, right...i got loamhedge early, but...if only bj had been at the EBF, i would have got tamm first...

Cinnabarr Rivershell
August 28th, 2004, 05:30 PM
How was the Edinburgh Book Festival this year Cheese. I wish I could go to that. *sigh* All I have over here is the Gilroy Garlic Festival. HHHHHHHHMMMMMMMM. Garlic!!! I think I'll go have something with garlic on it after this post.

I'll buy it after I buy Silent Hill 4
Priorities dude!! Where are your priorities!!!!!

Firerunner
August 28th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Well was Rakkety Tam great?

Cinnabarr Rivershell
August 28th, 2004, 06:01 PM
I'm still reading it.

Felldoh
August 28th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Priorities dude!! Where are your priorities!!!!!

Sorry, but Silent Hill > Redwall. At least I think so.

Firerunner
August 28th, 2004, 06:11 PM
On the other post it says you finished it.Well so far is it good?

Cinnabarr Rivershell
August 28th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Actually I said this.
Anyways, while you guys are waiting for September to come along, I'll have already finished the book.

That means that I'll have already finished the book once September comes along.

I'm not going to speak anything about the book. Even if it doesn't give anything away, I'm keeping my mouth tightly closed. I'm not even gonna say if it's good or not. Sorry Firerunner.

Firerunner
August 28th, 2004, 06:20 PM
I misread it.Sorry :o

Cheesethief
August 29th, 2004, 07:39 AM
Sorry, but Silent Hill > Redwall. At least I think so. silent hill is greater than/equal to redwall. not plain >. it depends...

How was the Edinburgh Book Festival this year Cheese. I wish I could go to that. *sigh* All I have over here is the Gilroy Garlic Festival. HHHHHHHHMMMMMMMM. Garlic!!! I think I'll go have something with garlic on it after this post. nowadays tourists get seats for all the good shows, then dont turn up.i went to see darren shan, cos i have his books. hes not the best author in the world, but hes pretty genuine. last year rocked, i saw bj, and hes great. when he signs peoples books, he has a good chat with them. brian really is the best! also last year, my godfather was there (at the tomb of the inflatable pig) so i got to go to the authors tent, and was offered free tickets to sell-out shows. brian comes every two years...i am definetely going to get tickets early!
anyway, i hope you enjoy rakkety tam!

Trowbaggs
August 29th, 2004, 02:08 PM
I have a question for cinnabar or anybody else who knows. Why is it that some websites like redwall.org say that Rakkety Tam has 387 pages. While others like amazon say it has 432. How many pages does it have?

Lyrian Aryns
August 29th, 2004, 04:16 PM
From what I understand, the US edition has 432 pages, while the UK edition has 384. Dunno where 387 comes from, though, so... *shrug*

Trowbaggs
August 29th, 2004, 04:23 PM
That was my mistake, I ment 384. Why does the us edition have more pages than the uk edition?

Lyrian Aryns
August 29th, 2004, 05:00 PM
The UK publisher probably uses a smaller font size than the US one does. I can't confirm that for sure, but it's the only explanation I can think of.

Cinnabarr Rivershell
August 29th, 2004, 07:58 PM
My edition of RT has 372 pages.

Martin the Warrior
August 29th, 2004, 08:16 PM
Page counts fluctuate because the ARC copies undergo many changes between when they're made and when the book finally goes to print. Text may be added or taken away.

The difference between US and UK page counts has to do with the typeset and different style of quotation marks (which gradually add up). They're generally within ten pages of one another.

The final page count for the US edition is 372 pages, as Cinnabarr said.

Lyrian Aryns
August 29th, 2004, 08:28 PM
...okay, that is the last time I listen to amazon.com. *grumble*

Cheesethief
August 30th, 2004, 01:26 PM
The final page count for the US edition is 372 pages, as Cinnabarr said. i half suspected this was all a con. now i know the truth... :eek:

Chelki Sureshot
September 2nd, 2004, 06:36 PM
**shrieks** :eek: :eek: Oh thats AWESOME! I read that, and then I went to amazon.com, and it didn't say anything about pre-ordering it, so that means it's probably out! Ooh, I have to call Borders! When I saw that, I started hyperventilating. **breaths** But I'm OK now. Actually, I'm not. I'm going to go be happy some more. :p :D ;)

Felldoh
September 2nd, 2004, 06:57 PM
Now that I think about it... why don't I just buy Silent Hill 4 and Rakkety Tam at the same time? In that case, I just pray that our lame town gets it sometime before I die of old age.

LordTBT
September 2nd, 2004, 07:43 PM
I'll say it again: Where's the review Martin?

Lonna Bowstripe
September 2nd, 2004, 09:13 PM
Hey Cinn, I got mine on the 27th. Maybe you're not the only one who gets it in August. :p
It's good!

LadyBeelze
September 2nd, 2004, 10:19 PM
It's available on amazon? Sweet!. Except i only have enough for shipping and handling. Babysitting isn't the best job to get alot of money fast but i'm going to get this as soon as i can.

Has anybody finished the book yet? And will there be a Rackkety Tam Discussion forum soon?

Martin the Warrior
September 3rd, 2004, 12:13 AM
I'll say it again: Where's the review Martin?

Forthcoming. ;)

Maybe you're not the only one who gets it in August.

Nope, I received numerous accounts of stores sticking it out early and confirmed it for myself last week. It wasn't a fluke where Cinnabarr lives-- it's nationwide.

And will there be a Rackkety Tam Discussion forum soon?

Yes. Tomorrow. See the thread "Loamhedge Ban Lifted".

Chelki Sureshot
September 3rd, 2004, 06:04 PM
I called Borders, they said they have it, it's just in a bunch of boxes. I think I'll go raid their storeroom

LadyBeelze
September 3rd, 2004, 11:04 PM
I've ordered it off amazon now but it says that i won't get it till the 11th or later -.-. Oh well.

Nora the Rover
September 4th, 2004, 12:09 AM
I saw it at Media Play a few days ago. I haven't been able to get it though, because I'm saving all my money up for a big Renaissance faire later this month... :( I'll probably end up buying it sometime in October.
*grumble* Why do these darn things always have to pop up right when a good book is released?

Lonna Bowstripe
September 4th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Has anybody finished the book yet? And will there be a Rackkety Tam Discussion forum soon?

I'm in the 300s. It was supposed to be up yesterday...

Felldoh
September 4th, 2004, 04:07 PM
I assume you've been enjoying it?

Glenner
September 4th, 2004, 05:08 PM
I think the new forum ought to go up soon, I just got my copy at Borders today.

Ferahgo the Assassin
September 4th, 2004, 06:14 PM
I agree with Glenner, I just got my copy yesterday and I'm itching to discuss it! It's sooo good! :D

Martin the Warrior
September 4th, 2004, 06:22 PM
The Rakkety Tam forum is now up. Feel free to discuss it in there. UK fans and those who don't have the book are still free to theorize about it out here in the main Bookshelf forum-- but no spoilers are to be posted, even within spoiler tags!

Lonna Bowstripe
September 4th, 2004, 06:35 PM
I just finished it!

Glenner
September 4th, 2004, 07:59 PM
The Rakkety Tam forum is now up. Feel free to discuss it in there. [/b]!

Excellent!:D

I agree with Glenner, I just got my copy yesterday and I'm itching to discuss it! It's sooo good! :D
Indeed, it is!

Cheesethief
September 5th, 2004, 08:22 AM
i cant stop myself...i have to check out this new forum...even though i havent read the book...no...i can stop myself...when does the uk edition come out...gotta wait...

Felldoh
September 5th, 2004, 11:15 AM
Me too Cheese. We'll have to hold out together it seems.

Cheesethief
September 5th, 2004, 12:26 PM
yeah...i think im gonna have to buy silent hill 4 instead...oh man...

Martin the Warrior
September 5th, 2004, 07:51 PM
when does the uk edition come out...gotta wait...

Next month.

Felldoh
September 5th, 2004, 11:50 PM
yeah...i think im gonna have to buy silent hill 4 instead...oh man...

Hey, its a good way to keep us both occupied 'till we get it. :D

Keyla
September 6th, 2004, 02:29 PM
I'm a little concerned that we won't be getting a seperate cover this time around, as it is less than a month until the release in the UK and we've seen nothing thus far. :(
Still, on the bright side, it is less than a month to go.

Aleisou Swiftpounce
September 6th, 2004, 02:52 PM
What, we ent gettin' a separate cover? Oh, I was looking forwards to seeing what it was...

Gah, I want it to come out so I can go an' get it. I wont be able to stay away from the Rakkety Tam discussion thread. I've already had a bit spoiled for me... dang...

Keyla
September 6th, 2004, 04:00 PM
What I've been exposed to on other boards hasn't been all that shocking and the mods have started a policy similar to that which is run here.

Don't panick about the covers too much; the American one is still very good, though it would be less special not to have our own.

Cheesethief
September 6th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Next month ack!

Hey, its a good way to keep us both occupied 'till we get it. yeah...i havent got much time for games now, not with school and all...besides, i asked my parents to get it for me (otherwise i would have to dig deep into my pocket) and i can wait till my birthday for it. not redwall though. everyone talks about it and all...silent hill is still good though...how is it so far?

I'm a little concerned that we won't be getting a seperate cover this time around, as it is less than a month until the release in the UK and we've seen nothing thus far. i find that hard to believe. the us cover is fitting to the style they have had for the past couple of books. i still reckon that well get a different one. puffin must have something up their sleeve beside their metaphorical arm.

Cinnabarr Rivershell
September 6th, 2004, 06:39 PM
beside their metaphorical arm.
HAHAA! :lol: :lol: You should see me! I'm laughing up a storm here! lol!

LadyBeelze
September 6th, 2004, 07:01 PM
5..more ..days.. I'm holding out good for me, i haven't looked at any spoilers or anything. But why is the UK getting Rakkety Tam later than us? Aren't they suppoused to get it before? Or something. *forgive my ignorance* >.>

Martin the Warrior
September 6th, 2004, 07:52 PM
I don't think there's any cause for concern over the UK cover-- if you were getting the same one, it would probably be out already. It's possible David Wyatt hasn't finished it yet although a far more likely scenario is that it just hasn't been distributed to retailers for promotional purposes yet. I'd wager it'll surface over the next two weeks.

But why is the UK getting Rakkety Tam later than us? Aren't they suppoused to get it before? Or something.

Payback for all those years of beating us. ;)

Felldoh
September 6th, 2004, 09:45 PM
I have a question about Rakkety Tam. Does it require you to read any specific book before it? Like how you should read Mattimeo after Redwall and The Bellmaker after Mariel of Redwall? I'm only up to Legend of Luke and I really wanna read Rakkety Tam without having to read a more recent once first.

silent hill is still good though...how is it so far?

You mean Silent Hill 4? I haven't played it yet. The lyrics in my sig were from the Silent Hill 4 song "Room of Angel" and I first heard it on a video that came with the demo disk for one of my Playstation magazines. So, though I've seen an amazing video of it, I've yet to play it. :(

Ferahgo the Assassin
September 6th, 2004, 11:23 PM
You definitely won't need to read another book before Rakkety Tam, Felldoh. In fact, there aren't even any characters in Tam that were mentioned in another book! It stands perfectly on its own.

LordTBT
September 7th, 2004, 12:30 AM
It's disappointing that I have to wait until december to get this book

Felldoh
September 7th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Yay! Thanks Ferahgo! I'll have to pick it up for sure now.

Cheesethief
September 7th, 2004, 04:49 PM
HAHAA! You should see me! I'm laughing up a storm here! lol! that would be a metaphorical storm ya got there. :D

Payback for all those years of beating us. :mad:

You mean Silent Hill 4? I haven't played it yet. ok

Martin the Warrior
September 8th, 2004, 11:40 PM
Well, like I said, no cause for concern over the UK cover. Sure enough, it's surfaced and I just posted it on the Newsline. ;)

http://forums.longpatrolclub.com/showthread.php?t=1599

Wyatt continues to deliver with a striking pose for Rakkety Tam MacBurl.

Felldoh
September 9th, 2004, 08:41 AM
I think they both have cool covers.

LadyBeelze
September 9th, 2004, 09:14 AM
I agree w/ Felldoh, they're both pretty good. But the UK cover..wow Rakkety looks alot more furry. Well..2 more days for me and i'll hopefully have hands on my copy. -.-

Felldoh
September 9th, 2004, 12:50 PM
I may order it along with "The Oaken Throne" and "Thomas" after school today...

Keyla
September 9th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Well, like I said, no cause for concern over the UK cover. Sure enough, it's surfaced and I just posted it on the Newsline.
*Bows to Martin's supernatural foresight* Well, you were right, and it was well worth the wait. Rakkety has real look about him and I love Wyatt's capture of the texture of the fur. I can see what I reckon is the "renegade vole theif" by the fire. The landscape is quite frankly breathtaking. I wish I could see a copy of the picture prior to all the text, as with "Triss".

Grath
September 9th, 2004, 04:07 PM
I like the UK cover better, its more vibrant, thats what I feel about all the UK covers and I like them better.
Also are you guys sure the US version is out. I went to Barnes and Noble today and did not see any copies of it any where, they had Loamhedge on paperback but no Rakkety Tam, and Barnes and Noble usually has everything.

Trowbaggs
September 9th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Positive. I just finished reading it 2 days ago. I like both covers. They both have their strong points. I think his outfit looks better in the us edition. But he has a slightly cooler pose in the uk edition.

Ferahgo the Assassin
September 9th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Wow, the UK covers always look so much better to me than the US covers. I'm jealous.

Cinnabarr Rivershell
September 9th, 2004, 11:55 PM
The UK covers always look a little too cartoonish to me. But... this cover actually looks pretty good. I like the background a lot, and Rakkety Tam looks pretty cool too.

Aleisou Swiftpounce
September 10th, 2004, 12:51 PM
I may order it along with "The Oaken Throne" and "Thomas" after school today...

Wow, Felldoh, you are in for a good read. But beware the cute characters who really aren't that cute in the end...

And I think they both have good covers too, although I definately prefer the English one (however, I don't like Tam's eyes...). In fact, the only time I've preferred the American cover is with the Taggerung. Usually I hate it.

Felldoh
September 10th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Wow, Felldoh, you are in for a good read. But beware the cute characters who really aren't that cute in the end...

Of course, it didn't work out quite that well. I was too busy to go to the store yesterday... and today when I went their computers were down. I'm excited about getting Rakkety Tam, but I'm more excited about "The Oaken Throne" and "Thomas"... considering I think the Deptford Mice/Histories > Redwall. :p

Another question for those who've read Rakkety Tam, how do you think it matches up to the other books?

Cheesethief
September 10th, 2004, 05:03 PM
the uk cover is better. it seems to be carrying on the triss and loamhedge theme (as martin mentioned, this is about the puffin/david wyatt change) as the us cover is doing. unfortunately (well, fortunately...it depends) thanks to my good buddy who will rename unnamed (unless he wants to get some credit), i will be getting the us edition. though i might have to get the uk one eventually. just cos. ;)

Ferahgo the Assassin
September 10th, 2004, 05:38 PM
Another question for those who've read Rakkety Tam, how do you think it matches up to the other books?

I thought Rakkety Tam was one of the better books of late (i.e., the last few years), but not one of the very best overall. It was much better, in my opinion, than Triss or Loamhedge (neither of which I enjoyed very much).

I didn't have any real complaints other than underdeveloped characters and a somewhat predictable plot (although I will say that there were a few things I definitely didn't see coming).

I'd say it probably would be in the top ten, but not the top five.

Felldoh
September 10th, 2004, 05:45 PM
I see. Thanks. Though even if you said it sucked I'd still read it... :p

Aleisou Swiftpounce
September 11th, 2004, 06:25 AM
So would I ... I mean, it has a wolverine in it! A wolverine! And I love the artist - what's his name again - but he's my favourite Redwall artist. He rox my sox!!!

I love that saying...

Slagar the Cruel
September 11th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Wow... so Rakkety Tam is out already? That completely flew under my radar.

...I should probably buy it.

LadyBeelze
September 11th, 2004, 03:33 PM
It came in the mail today, i got the notifcation thing saying that a package came in but i got there too late since the main part of the post office was closed. Oh well..monday it is than.

Cheesethief
September 11th, 2004, 03:42 PM
hang on till monday cheesethief. hang on...

So would I ... I mean, it has a wolverine in it! A wolverine! And I love the artist - what's his name again - but he's my favourite Redwall artist. He rox my sox!!! that would be david wyatt, who superceded fangorn.

Wow... so Rakkety Tam is out already? That completely flew under my radar. check my new thread on the patroller.

granola woodsworth
September 11th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Wow, I didn't really realise that it was out already either.. :eek: That was faster than I thought. Maybe I should go see if they have it at the local bookstore. :shades:

Cornflower
September 11th, 2004, 04:12 PM
I didn't know it was out either, wow!

I should get it, although I probably won't read it for a while, because I still have to read a few of the other books. I still haven't read Loamhedge yet... :eek:

t@gg :)
September 11th, 2004, 07:09 PM
I'm getting it tomorrow

Candied Chesnut
September 18th, 2004, 06:03 PM
its really good. waaaaay better than loamhedge at least.

Cheesethief
September 22nd, 2004, 02:49 PM
im reading it as slowly as i can so i can savour the beatiful redwallness. it really is a good book. almost done, but i dont want it to end!

though i might have to get the uk one eventually. just cos. i take that back by miles. the script is perfect, except for inverted commas, and a few american words (two), it is great. like, on page 43, they blab about honour. yes, HONOUR with a U. my prawyers were answered.

Firerunner
September 24th, 2004, 11:02 PM
I got Rakkety Tam!Should I read the other books before it or go ahead and read it?Right now I am on Outcast going in order of published.

Candied Chesnut
September 24th, 2004, 11:11 PM
go ahead. rakkety tam doesnt really relate to anyother books

Firerunner
September 25th, 2004, 07:27 AM
OK Thanks :D

Saigo the sergeant
October 16th, 2004, 05:14 PM
i got my copie on like sep 24 or something...believe me, all of them were almost gone!

Candied Chesnut
October 16th, 2004, 11:03 PM
err...saigo, you have ferahgo's avatar and ringo's sig. i dont think they're very happy

Cheesethief
October 17th, 2004, 06:41 AM
Sawney Rat? :lol:
that really is a sad thing to do. i dont think hes actually coming back though. :rolleyes: