PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Character?

Ferahgo the Assassin
September 7th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Okay, nobody has started any new Rakkety Tam threads in a while, so I'll throw one out there. Who was everyone's favorite RT character, and why?

I'd have to say that Shard was my favorite vermin. It's always nice to see an unusually intelligent vermin soldier, and I was really disappointed to see him die. And you've got to admit that arctic foxes are just plain cool. :D

I was kind of disappointed with Gulo. Maybe it's just me, but I found him to be extremely underdeveloped for a vermin warlord. Any thoughts?

Tam himself was pretty cool, too, even though I'm getting tired of squirrels as the main characters. Rakkety Tam and Doogy's friendship was sort of reminiscent of Martin and Gonff's, in a sense. Doogy + Yoofis = Gonff. :)

Lonna Bowstripe
September 7th, 2004, 06:08 PM
I argee. Martin, make this a poll! :hon:

Trowbaggs
September 8th, 2004, 03:45 PM
I'd have to say Tam was my favorite character. I just thought he was neat. He had a tight bond with Doogy. He was also the first main character in a while to fall in love and marry someone. I also thought it was cool that him and Doogy wore tartan. I'm not really sick of squirrels. After all, it's the personality that counts. Shard was a pretty cool vermin but it was obvious he was going to die somehow. I didn't like Yoofus. He just made things worse and kept stealing stuff.

Sandstripe the Wild
September 10th, 2004, 08:12 PM
I haven't read the book mind you, but I have skimmed through the first two or three chapters while waiting for my mom at the mall. Sofar I like Rakkety Tam Macburl, he's somewhat scottish and seems to have an interesting way of explaining things and they happened.

The Golden Bard
September 11th, 2004, 09:51 AM
i like doogy,doogie :confused:

any ways i like that guy.

Lacoasta
September 16th, 2004, 04:00 PM
I have a rant...

WHAT THE HECK WAS WRONG WITH BADGER LADY MEMSAWHATEVERHERNAME!!!!! She's supposed to out witht eh Long Patrol! Not stay in her mountain!!!! IT WAS WRONG! And pink tunics?!!?!?! What teh heck was with that ????

But, Doogy and Yoofus did remind me of Gonff, I guess that's why I liked them.

LadyBeelze
September 17th, 2004, 07:48 PM
Rakkety Tam. Suprising, eh? Usually i don't elect the main character as my favorite but most of the characters in the book didn't really wet my intrest. Plus his scottish garb and battle cry were fairly cool.

But the wolverine, oh Gulo oh Gulo..was i so disappointed. He was nothing more than his title, a savage with little brain and wits in him. Oh well..i can always wish for a cooler wolverine in the future books if he chooses to implent them into the storyline again. Heh..i sure hope so. Or maybe it'll just be a one time thing like those moniter lizards. -.-

Ferahgo
I'd have to say that Shard was my favorite vermin. It's always nice to see an unusually intelligent vermin soldier, and I was really disappointed to see him die. And you've got to admit that arctic foxes are just plain cool.

Ditto to what you said, Shard was my favorite vermin as well and i like his name. It conjures up the thought of crystal shards and ice northlands. Hmm I'm attempting some fanart of him too.

[Quote] Lacoasta
WHAT THE HECK WAS WRONG WITH BADGER LADY MEMSAWHATEVERHERNAME!!!!! She's supposed to out witht eh Long Patrol! Not stay in her mountain!!!! IT WAS WRONG! And pink tunics?!!?!?! What teh heck was with that ????[/quote'

I know! What the freak..i thought she should of gone with the LP hares as well but it was nice to see another Lady of Salmandastron even if she was briefly in there.

Senav
September 18th, 2004, 07:44 PM
Somebody doesn't like the color pink...but pink doesn't have to be blindingly bright. There are all kinds of shades, one of which is obviously good for uniforms.

Back on topic, who else thought "Mister Death" was cool? :p

Lacoasta
September 18th, 2004, 08:10 PM
She said a *touching* little speech and then sat back and watched her hares march to death!!! What kind of badger Lady is that??? Yes it is nice to have another lady, but I like the ones like Cregga Rose Eyes (the vicious version) if there are Ladies.

Pink is not the right colour for the LP. Wouldn't yopu think a highly trained army would wear blues or greens or even browns and reds but pink ??? I cannot - will not - invision the great Long Patrol wearing pink to battle. Any shade of pink for that matter.

He was nothing more than his title, a savage with little brain and wits in him.

I so agree.

Ferahgo the Assassin
September 19th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Mr. Death cracked me up. Best quote of the book: "I like to eat thingssssss!" Hahaha. And Brooky's response to the adder is great.

Cheesethief
September 24th, 2004, 05:23 AM
the colour pink is still worn for military dress in the form of blazers i think. more ceremonial rather than field gear though.

as for fave character, mr death. he shoulda come back in the end, perhaps eating gulos severed head in the ditch. ;)

Trowbaggs
September 24th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Cheese!, you don't have to use spoiler tags. Don't get in another fight with Martin! Oh, and it looks like you were wrong about Tam having a Scottish accent.;) I guess I was wrong to. :lol:

Cheesethief
September 26th, 2004, 01:34 PM
spoiler tags are optional. dont want to spoil it!

yeah, tam was a borderer. i think brian stayed away from the scots accent being used frequently because a minority of readers could not comprehend it.

Chelki Sureshot
September 27th, 2004, 06:47 PM
I dunno. I thought "Cwown Pwince Woopurt" was pretty cool.

Keyla
October 9th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Yes, I must confess I almost fell off my bed laughing when I read that.

She said a *touching* little speech and then sat back and watched her hares march to death!!! What kind of badger Lady is that??? Yes it is nice to have another lady, but I like the ones like Cregga Rose Eyes (the vicious version) if there are Ladies.

I must jump to the defence of the good Badgerlady here, (wot wot). Cregga's marching off to face vermin a long way off from Salamandastron could have gone horribly wrong if the mountain itself had been attacked. The same goes for Rawnblade's exploits in "Mariel of Redwall". Of course, things turned out okay and fate was on their side, but their choices seem to owe a lot more to the bloodwrath than rationality. The only other example I can think of where a Badgerlord/lady has marched off from the fire mountain with an army is Russano in "(The) Taggerung". In this case he was prompted by Cregga's spirit to do so.
Think about it from Lady Melesme's perspective. She knows there is a dangerous vermin force moving through the land but she does not know its purpose; it could be heading absoballylutely anywhere. Marching off with her army to track them down sounds all very noble and whatnot but would in truth be very misguided. What happens if Salamandastron falls while she and her hares are over to the east?

Anyway, back to the matter in hand:
I find it really hard to choose my favourite character; there were so many that I loved. Rakkety proved a very satisfying hero, in my opinion. He wasn't just another young beast finding his or her feet in the world. He was an experienced warrior but by no means without his flaws. I enjoyed seeing the romance element reintroduced and relieved to find Armel not to be a Cornflower. Yes, she was a pretty gentle maiden but she didn't feel like she existed simply for the sake of a love interest. Just as Tam softened to the abbey way of life it was good to see how she reacted to conflict after a lifetime of peace.
Doogy was of course great. Very amusing at times, but I felt his rather bloodthirsty nature made him more interesting than simply the humourous sidekick. However, I think the comedy prize has to go to Yoofus and Didjety. The little vole was a real charmer and I was very much endeared to him in spite of his theiving ways. What I was most taken by, however, was the ways Brian wrote the couple's relationship. It was tender without being obvious: the way he thought about what he could steal for his beloved; the way she chided him for every theft yet secretly loved him for it. I was particularly amused by the trio's spell being lost in the woods. Us men and directions. ;)
I was sad to see Shard and then Freeta bite the dust, but it was nice to have a little bit of politics within the group. Particularly enjoyed seeing the way the foxes played Gulo, using him as a means to their own ends. While their evilness is undeniable- they ate flesh as much as any other in the hoard- I found my self liking them.

Barrag Barr
October 10th, 2004, 12:53 PM
I've only just started reading it but si far i like Wild Doogy Plumm

Aleisou Swiftpounce
October 12th, 2004, 02:47 PM
I'm only on page 65 or so, but so far I love Rakkety Tam and Doogy.

Ringothewarrior
October 16th, 2004, 12:58 PM
my favorite person is wild doggy plumm, I like his northorn acent :D

Barrag Barr
November 30th, 2004, 05:52 AM
i was a little disopionted with the end, ithought it was great in a whole, but its a shame doogy could have took a little more part in it. :slagar

im so sad, i mean im not aloud on the forums cause my computer dont work :(

Renegade
November 30th, 2004, 08:43 AM
Tam was probably my favourite... although I liked Rockbottom too (I found him kinda cute).

Bladeswift
November 30th, 2004, 03:14 PM
I just bought it Friday (along with Pearls of Lutra). I actually like Gulo. Tam's pretty cool too.

Sandstripe the Wild
December 13th, 2004, 08:44 PM
Finished listening to the Audio disk last night, I loved it. I still think the best characters are Rakkety Tam Macburl, Wild Doogie Plum, and Yoofus Lightpaw. All three characters were well developed and were your typical woodlanders (Tam and Doogie constantly threatening to kill Yoofus, Doogie's constant threats against the King Arilton and his family, and Yoofus constant thievery against his own companions.), they were each also incrediblely likable in their own individual ways, and I loved all of the highland accents in the book (I really like the Scottish).

Keyla
December 14th, 2004, 04:55 AM
I think the willingness to threaten and kill was an interesting trait to see in the heroes. Rakkety and Doogy certainly weren't niave about the realities are war and this gave the book an interesting flavour. They are no less fundamentally good than other heroes in the series but it is clear they have had a much tougher experience of life. While I hesitate to call them "grey" I would say that this darker element made them somewhat different from the gentler heroes and heroines.

Hisk
December 21st, 2004, 09:33 PM
WAIT A SECOND. Rakkety Tam is OUT? Since when?

I must be living under a rock..

Nora the Rover
December 23rd, 2004, 03:35 PM
*Refrains from making some stupid comment about The Walking Stone/Rockbottom* :p
I liked the fact that Rakkety Tam wasn't a total cookie-cutter type of character. I found it amusing that he had a bit of a temper, and seemed a little clueless and dumbfounded sometimes when it came to Armel. Doogy Plumm was awesome, and the Scottish culture fitted perfectly with his character.
Yoofus wasn't really as annoying as I had expected him to be. Thieving just seemed to be in his nature.
I think the characters seemed a lot more colorful in Rakkety Tam. It was easier to relate to them and made the story more enjoyable.

Basils #1 fan
March 25th, 2005, 02:26 PM
My favorite character in Rakkety Tam would have to be Wild Doogy Plumm. ;)

Josiah the Warrior
April 2nd, 2005, 11:06 PM
Doogy was definantly cool. I was very dissapointed in Gulo, he was not up to par with the rest of Brian's villains. He may have, in fact, been the worst.

Storm Swiftblade
April 7th, 2005, 08:20 PM
[QUOTE=Lacoasta]And pink tunics?!!?!?! What teh heck was with that ????

I really must agree. I think pink is a really wimpy color for military uniforms. It would be too easy to see. As for my favorite charactor, I really liked Wild Doogy Plumm. Though I did like Shard too. I enjoyed the battle in the end. Nice and violent.

Cheesethief
April 8th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Pink has a history of dress uniform. And it is dress, so there's no point in using DPM, is there? Pink isn't wimpy. It's a colour.

Barrag Barr
April 9th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Yay another Plumm fan, as for the pink thing, for the 12th time today im with cheese thief

Sir. Chuck-A-Lot
April 20th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Well going back to the subject my favorite charactor in Rakkety Tam has to be Wild Doogy Plum. His accent is so incredible cool. :cool:

Sunfur Zion
May 9th, 2005, 02:23 AM
I'd have to say Tam was my favorite character. I just thought he was neat. He had a tight bond with Doogy. He was also the first main character in a while to fall in love and marry someone. I also thought it was cool that him and Doogy wore tartan. I'm not really sick of squirrels. After all, it's the personality that counts. Shard was a pretty cool vermin but it was obvious he was going to die somehow. I didn't like Yoofus. He just made things worse and kept stealing stuff.

Ah, Me and ye are the same. LOVED Rakkety Tam!
*Points left* See Avatar

Aubretia
June 29th, 2005, 02:35 AM
go kersey and ferdimond! :p

Lady Blaireao
July 10th, 2005, 12:02 PM
I (pardon my mole!) loik Doogie, because he has a cool accent, he's headstrong, and he's a good, loyal friend. :)
- Lady B

tammo_360
August 8th, 2005, 04:34 PM
ya my fave charecter is Tammo from the long patrol as u may know

dude your mole talk sucks the big ones i could do better

Lonna Bowstripe
August 8th, 2005, 05:11 PM
dude your mole talk sucks the big ones i could do better
Why don't you try it then? I'm sure a n00b with anger problems and terrible spelling could.

Matthias the Warrior
August 26th, 2005, 06:32 PM
My favorite character in Rakkety Tam is Wild Doogie Plumm! :lol:

Triss36
September 22nd, 2005, 11:18 AM
My favorite was definitely Rakkety Tam MacBurl. He was really cool and I admired how he stuck to his beliefs and finally overthrew the annoying squirrel rulers. My second favorite is Wild Doggy Plumm. I liked his Scottish accent and the way he stuck with Tam.

Mariel2
September 29th, 2005, 10:39 AM
My favorite character is Rakkety Tam MacBurl, of course, followed by Wild Doogy Plumm.

Saban
October 2nd, 2005, 12:19 AM
Me favorite character is Brooky 'cause in a way I can laugh at any thing or make things funny even though they're not. :lol:
Oh I like Mr. Death too. :D

RockJaw_Grang
October 5th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Darn I wished I owned The Book So I could look up his name But the General Or captin of the LP THat had to stay Behind At redwall when Every one else whent to fight and he kills whats her name Shards Mate But Died Doing so.