PDA

View Full Version : Same Style Over An' Over

Lonna Bowstripe
September 7th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Has anybody noticed this pattern in Redwall? Main hero or heroine. Main villian. Villian attacks hero or heroine. Hero or heroine defeats villian.
And in the books after Redwall was built, the villian attacks Redwall. The only exception I can think of is Loamhedge, where there were 3 heros. (Bragoon, Lonna, Saro) How about a new style? Like there are 2 main villians of different troops and they fight or something. Also, I've noticed that the binding of the hard covers keeps getting less and less stable with each preceding book. And does anybody else have this big, hulking inkstain on pages 346 and 359 for the American edition?

Ferahgo the Assassin
September 7th, 2004, 10:19 PM
Yeah, the pattern is definitely extremely repetetive and predictable. I've come up with a plethora of ideas of cool, unexpected things that could happen, but I know the pattern will just continue 'cause I guess BJ likes it that way.

RT's villain being a wolverine is the only unexpected thing in a long time ...

And yup, my copy has those exact same inkstains on the exact same pages. Weird.

Cinnabarr Rivershell
September 7th, 2004, 10:33 PM
And does anybody else have this big, hulking inkstain on pages 346 and 359 for the American edition?
I checked my book, and I didn't find any ink blotches on those pages. Lucky me, lucky me. It must be California. It only takes the best things that there are. Including clean published books. :p

Trowbaggs
September 8th, 2004, 07:44 AM
Mine doesn't have inkstains either. Lucky me, lucky me. It must be Michigan. It only takes the best things that are there. Including clean published books. :p ;)

LordTBT
September 8th, 2004, 09:35 AM
And does anybody else have this big, hulking inkstain on pages 346 and 359 for the American edition?

I'd exchange the book.

chris the cynic
September 9th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Some people say that there are three basic stories in existence and all of the difference is in the details.

Redwall stories have the same thing behind them, there is a single basic plot with lots of changes in the details of the books.

For example, you say in all of the books after the creation of the Abbey it is attacked by the villain, not quite true.
In The Long Patrol the battle never reached Redwall. The enemy was defeated by exploiting a key weakness (superstition) and of course the ability of Badgers to dream what is actually happening in some distant place.
In Marlfox the villain was not the one attacking.
In Salamadastron the villain didn’t go near Redwall.
In Outcast of Redwall the villain thought Redwall was a myth.

You say that the villain attacks the hero but that also isn’t always true.
In The Bellmaker the heroes, there were several, were not really attacked by the villain at all, with two exceptions. In fact most of them were never effected by the villain until after they had attacked him.
In some of the others it is the same but I don’t want to try to figure out who you consider the Hero in those books and thus I can’t say which ones.

The main thing in the books is that there is a long standing evil which is eventually defeated by good. Note that I don’t say, “Good overcomes evil,” because that implies that good will always triumph. The books show a different picture, they say that good will often fail, but eventually good will overcome.

LoritheQuestor
September 9th, 2004, 09:27 PM

I don't have an inkstain on any of mine, but in my copy of Triss, half a page was missing. It hadn't been torn; the print was on just one half of the page. Has that happened to anyone?

Keyla
September 10th, 2004, 01:14 PM
While the driving plot concepts of good against evil are consistant throughout, attempts to come up with a template for the series tend to be rather vague. There was a time when one could get pretty close to it, but books like "The Legend of Luke" and "(The) Taggerung" have really thrown a spanner in the works for those who long to write each book off as a clone. There is a huge amount of originality in each new novel and while lable such as "hero" or "villain" may seem to work some of the time there are places where they really don't even begin to satisfy.

Cheesethief
September 10th, 2004, 05:05 PM
in my copy of The Redwall Journal, there was a big waxy blob or two near the end. anyone else get that?