PDA

View Full Version : Weird thing

Lonna Bowstripe
September 7th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Look at the map in Rakkety Tam. From King Araltum's Groves to Gulo's shipwreck is about half as long as from Salamandastron to Redwall. How come Tam and Doogy walked from the Groves to Gulo's ship in 1/2 day, when the hares walked from Salamandastron to Redwall in 3? It doesn't make sense, because the hares were trying to get there as fast as they could.

Sandstripe the Wild
September 7th, 2004, 08:53 PM
You want weird, how come in all the prior redwall books Salamandastron is located southwest of redwall on the map but in Rakkety Tam it's located north of redwall abbey?

Trowbaggs
September 7th, 2004, 09:10 PM
Look at the map in Rakkety Tam. From King Araltum's Groves to Gulo's shipwreck is about half as long as from Salamandastron to Redwall. How come Tam and Doogy walked from the Groves to Gulo's ship in 1/2 day, when the hares walked from Salamandastron to Redwall in 3? It doesn't make sense, because the hares were trying to get there as fast as they could. Mabye the distance from salamandastron to redwall was longer than what BJ could fit on the page. He had to sort of cram everything in. Just a thought.

You want weird, how come in all the prior redwall books Salamandastron is located southwest of redwall on the map but in Rakkety Tam it's located north of redwall abbey?
I think that's because your looking at it from a different perspective in the other books.

Ferahgo the Assassin
September 7th, 2004, 09:14 PM
Argh, the map irked me soooo much! What happened to the mountains between Mossflower and Salamandastron? They're nowhere to be seen. And the whole Salamandastron-is-north-of-Redwall is messed up too. Another small thing I noticed ... doesn't the Broadstream flow out to the sea? But in the book, it flows to the east, not to the west. :confused: Odd.

Ferahgo the Assassin
September 7th, 2004, 09:19 PM
I think that's because your looking at it from a different perspective in the other books.

Yeah, Trowbaggs is right. It took me a while to notice, but the cardinal rose has south pointing to the bottom left instead of straight down. Different perspective, that's all.

Lyrian Aryns
September 16th, 2004, 07:00 PM
It was funny... I was looking at the map thinking, "Huh... wha...? ...oh the coast is that way!" But yeah, it's a bit difficult to judge distance on this map, as it's so artsy. The guy who drew it probably wasn't thinking in precise distances.

I think the mountains first disappeared in Long Patrol... which is kinda sad, because we can't attribute it to the winds eroding them over an unknown span of seasons. :\

Cheesethief
September 24th, 2004, 06:16 AM
ive said it before, but wouldnt it be nice if you could get a proper, "to-scale" map?

Chelki Sureshot
September 27th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Yes, that would be very nice. This map is horrible. I don't think the artist has read the books very well.

Trowbaggs
September 30th, 2004, 05:33 PM
I thought I heard somewhere that BJ draws the maps himeself.

Aleisou Swiftpounce
October 1st, 2004, 03:04 PM
He does a rough drawing of the map, then the artists elaborate it.
It makes sense really.

(I haven't got Rakkety Tam yet. I just thought I'd take a look here to see if people are saying the book is good. I ordered it from Amazon and they say that it will be delivered on the 10th. *can't wait*)

Cheesethief
October 2nd, 2004, 03:16 PM
its good. not one to miss.
yeah, maybe the maps show an author's style in a way. to bj, the action would be all close together. if the map was ordnance-survey quality it would be pretty boring.

Ringothewarrior
October 16th, 2004, 04:27 PM
yeah...i think every book's map is different...suome poeple say that it's different times make it change but how could a mountain be missing in like 12 seasons??

Ringothewarrior
October 17th, 2004, 07:57 PM
I think you mean south of redwall abbey

Ringmaster
December 4th, 2004, 08:46 PM
Has nobody looked at the compass rose? If you look at it you will see that Salamandastron is southwest of Redwall (hardly). Personally I like the map in Rakkety Tam. Also the area from KA's Groves to wreak is about one fifth of the distance between Salamandastron and Redwall. ;)

Ferahgo the Assassin
December 4th, 2004, 08:48 PM
:p That's what I said.
It took me a while to notice, but the cardinal rose has south pointing to the bottom left instead of straight down.

Trowbaggs
December 4th, 2004, 08:58 PM
I'm the one that discovered it. ;)

Barkstripe
February 17th, 2005, 04:31 PM
I think that each map is a map for the book. Also I did find a map that kinda put all of the books maps together it is kind of cool.