PDA

View Full Version : See Brian Jacques: Tomorrow. I am.

Furrtil
September 18th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Yes, it's another one of those cliched, "I'm going to go see Brian Jacques!"

I just have to hold up the tradition of cheesiness. Anyway, I'm in New Hampshire, and I just found out today that I missed when he was going to be in Exeter. So..... coming to a Borders near me -- tomorrow I'm heading down to Marlborough, MA. To hopefully catch a glimpse of the guy who stares at me from the back of my books. And we'll try to get Rakkety Tam. Who knows - if all goes well (which it probably won't) I may get it signed!

Thus ends Furrtil's post. It's more of an announcement than anything else, so I'm not expecting any brilliant replies, but whatever. I'm tired. And doesn't every cheesy pointless post come standardly equipt (0.9% APR) with, "OMG this is sooooo FUNY!!!1111 i wrote this at 3 a.m. wen i had 2 much cafeen! i waz sooooooo tired, but this is soooo funy!" And then, of course, you read the post, thinking to yourself, "She calls this WRITING? What is this? Who is she? Does her parents know that she's mentally unstable?"

This will be updated, if I actually get myself down there tomorrow. Zai jian.

Candied Chesnut
September 18th, 2004, 09:40 PM
wow...some people get all the luck. no author ever stops close to wear i live. except bill clinton. but i really dont care about his autobiography.

Slagar the Cruel
September 18th, 2004, 09:58 PM
And doesn't every cheesy pointless post come standardly equipt (0.9% APR) with, "OMG this is sooooo FUNY!!!1111 i wrote this at 3 a.m. wen i had 2 much cafeen! i waz sooooooo tired, but this is soooo funy!" And then, of course, you read the post, thinking to yourself, "She calls this WRITING? What is this? Who is she? Does her parents know that she's mentally unstable?"
Emphasized for truth.

Lyrian Aryns
September 18th, 2004, 10:10 PM
That's totally not fair. At all.

But have fun. :)

LadyBeelze
September 18th, 2004, 10:54 PM
Wow you're so lucky! I'd love to see BJ in person but i don't think he'll ever pay a visit to poor ol utah -.-. Oh well, at least you'll share how it was right?

Lacoasta
September 18th, 2004, 11:12 PM
I met him. He came to Dayton so I went to see him. But this was 2 years ago.

Lonna Bowstripe
September 19th, 2004, 09:02 AM
4 years ago Brian came to a Media Play 1/2 mile from my house!! I don't live in a large city, so there were only about 100 people there. I talked to him, brandished my copy of Mattimeo and got it signed!!

Martin the Warrior
September 19th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Try to weasel the title of his next book out of him, Furrtil! He's usually pretty chatty at these things. ;)

Ringmaster
September 19th, 2004, 04:35 PM
4 years ago Brian came to a Media Play 1/2 mile from my house!! I don't live in a large city, so there were only about 100 people there. I talked to him, brandished my copy of Mattimeo and got it signed!!
I remember that but then I wasn't a Redwall fan :(. And this city is not that small it's the 3rd biggest city in Illinois.

Ferahgo the Assassin
September 19th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Yeah, definitely try to get some information about the next book out of him! That'd be awesome.

Felldoh
September 19th, 2004, 06:42 PM
I hope he comes to Minnesota sometime. Doubtful it'd be anywhere near where I live though.

Furrtil
September 19th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Okay. So, I went. There was a major long line. We were given tickets of different colors, so first the purple group lined up, then the yellow, then blue, and then green - me! I bought Rakkety Tam so Brian Jacques could sign it. Then I had my mother trudge out to the far reaches of the parking lot -my mum is the greatest- to retrieve my copy of Mossflower from the car, which I'm rereading now.

Unfortunately, I had to go to dumb ol' religious school, and so I missed when he talked to everyone. Everyone was talking about how, "he was so funny!" and no one would tell me what he said. :(

He was signing books, sitting next to his wife (I think). Halfway through he had to leave for a quick smoke break. Imagine walking on your way to Best Buy and seeing a world famous author taking a cigarette break!

Unfortunately, since I had that dreadful religious school to go to, I totally forget/had no time to think up good questions... and I couldn't think of anything slightly intelligent to say. So I'm sorry -- no new Redwall info. But he said hello to me. :) My name was on the inside cover of Mossflower, so he knew my name. :D He signed both Rakkety Tam and Mossflower, and I got a picture with him. He wasn't personalizing because he has both arthritis and a broken thumb in his writing hand -- the Borders employees were incredibly thrilled that he even showed up.

Then, of course, my sister steals my thunder... He says to me, "Is that your sister?" So I brilliantly reply, "Yes." And he goes on about how cute/pretty she is. Ah well, at least someone in our family is pretty. :lol:

Brian was very nice, and funny. I was so surprised to see him with his face moving, because I've never seen him in person, and I guess I was expecting him to look like the nonmoving stern face on the back of the books. There was a girl with blue hair, and he said, "What'd you dye your hair for? You don't see me with blue hair!" Reminder: Brian Jacques is the baldest man you ever did see. ;)

I was more excited about getting Mossflower signed than Rakkety Tam -- Mossflower is my favorite Redwall book of all time. :D

LordTBT
September 19th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Unfortunately, I had to go to dumb ol' religious school, and so I missed when he talked to everyone.

I think you couldve skipped school

Grath
September 19th, 2004, 09:34 PM
Aw man you are so lucky. I checked to see if he is coming to colorado and it looks like he will never head to the west coast and I really want to meet him. Hmm maybe I should just take a road trip out east then.

LordTBT
September 20th, 2004, 03:11 AM
Aw man you are so lucky. I checked to see if he is coming to colorado and it looks like he will never head to the west coast and I really want to meet him. Hmm maybe I should just take a road trip out east then.

Everywhere he is going is on the eastern seaboard.

Furrtil
September 20th, 2004, 08:18 PM
I think you couldve skipped school

Oh yes. I can picture it now.

"O dear Mum, I know you're forcing me to go to school and you're the only reason that I bother to show up, but do you think that you could let me skip today so you could drive for an hour to get me to this Borders? After all, if the religion has been around for 5765 years, I don't suppose one week would make much of a difference. Let's go skip out on my religious education, Mum. It would be fun!"

:rolleyes:

Rillflag27
September 21st, 2004, 10:22 AM
"Sure, honey!" ;)

LordTBT
September 21st, 2004, 02:18 PM
Oh yes. I can picture it now.

"O dear Mum, I know you're forcing me to go to school and you're the only reason that I bother to show up, but do you think that you could let me skip today so you could drive for an hour to get me to this Borders? After all, if the religion has been around for 5765 years, I don't suppose one week would make much of a difference. Let's go skip out on my religious education, Mum. It would be fun!"

:rolleyes:

You get one day off class to see your favorite author, and your telling me your mom wouldnt me understanding?

Furrtil
September 22nd, 2004, 12:18 PM
She'd be understanding, yes. It's just that she'd make me feel guilty for the next, oh, month or three.

Cheesethief
September 22nd, 2004, 01:56 PM
wow. i too have had the pleasure of meeting brian. he really is a great guy.
i actually sent martin some stuff about when i met him for the "meet brian" section a while back. what happened with that?

Agravaine
September 25th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Y' know, you'd think he'd stop in New York City, wouldn't you? *mutters darkly*

Aleisou Swiftpounce
September 26th, 2004, 10:58 AM
Ya think he'd stop in some unknown little village where his only fan is me, wouldn't ya?

But no. It's all American now. Stupid Americans...
j/k

Trowbaggs
September 26th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Hmm, I wonder if he'll ever stop somewhere in michigan.

Bladeswift
September 29th, 2004, 02:46 PM
I think I prefer to avoid meeting my favorite authors/actors/etc. I always picture them being something greater than they are and would probably end up being disappointed.

Oh and as if you haven't guessed already I'm a newbie here

Chelki Sureshot
September 29th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Welcome! I wouldn't think he'd come to Montana, but myabe Salt Lake City? Sure, that's a 10 hour drive from here, I'll have my driver's license in a year, so maybe. . .

Felldoh
September 29th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Welcome Bladeswift! :D

I hope he comes to Minneapolis... then it'd only be a couple hour drive for me.

Martin of Redwall II
October 3rd, 2004, 12:29 AM
LUCKY!!!
wish i could :cry: