PDA

View Full Version : Ever heard a coyote cry out?

LadyBeelze
October 2nd, 2004, 08:24 PM
Yes. This is a **somewhat** sequel to a thread I posted last year when i brought down a massive 4-point mule deer. Basically I知 just going to rant here but if you have any great hunting stories feel free to share them, since I知 more than willing to hear them: D Or even a story about that monster fish that you almost got. Heck..tell about your nature walks if you want lol. *If you feel ever feel the need to slap me..do so..even though that's not even virtually possible* =P

*Takes a deep breath, cracks knuckles and starts typing*

Today i woke up at 3:30 A.M., almost murdering my alarm clock and slipping into the warmest garb and camouflage I could. Since it is darn cold here in Utah during the mornings. Than me and my dad jumped into the bronco and drove for 2 hours out into the edge of the mountains, walked up to a stand and got situated.

Then we had to wait in the cold for a hour in pitch dark. But during that period of just waiting you could hear coyotes bark like a dog would and then it would break out into a spine-tingly howl and then you would hear a couple other coyotes make themselves known on the other side of the field. On top of that you had elk whistling as loud as possible and a owl that liked to fly right over our heads. It was simply awe-inspiring and made you appreciate god's creations. And the sunrise omg, it never ceases to amaze me and there were dear and elk that came RIGHT up to our stand and didn't even notice it.

I couldn't shoot any of those since i didn't have a doe tag or a bull elk tag though. After it was 8 O' Clock muh dad and me decided to walk around in the sagebrush and see if we could sight a buck. So for a while we did but didn't see any bucks. But as luck has it, I looked back behind me and saw two ears and a small antlers poking out (the sage-brush was HIGH and thick in that spot). It was quite comical in it's own way. So I hurriedly measured the powder, put it in and got it all ready. By that time it was spooked and was starting to run, so I ran as fast as I could, put the open sights right on it's front shoulders and squeezed the trigger. And I hit it! But it didn't drop right down; it tried to jump the fence but slammed into it, got up, jumped and ran off. I was like 0_0 the whole time. But we hurried after it and couldn't find it anywhere.

That's when my dad noticed that clear down about 1/2 a mile down in a grazing pasture some horses where chasing something small. So we got in the car and rode down past that pasture and it was hobbling in a alfalfa field and then laid down. Which presented a big problem since we couldn't go into the field since that'd be trespassing. So we had to call up the owners and get permission.

Sneaking up, I got to a close range and aimed at its ribs and made a clean shot to put it out of it's misery. After that we went home and I was happy to find out that one of my friends got a three point in the private area I drew out on last year ^^ And at the same time jealous since I only got a measly 2 point this year but it had a bigger body which was weird. So now I知 cutting and grinding up all the meat for dear jerky, the antlers are going to be used for a jack-a-lope and the cape I think I知 selling off on e-bay since I don't really need it. Hopefully someone will buy it and put it to good use. Um and that's it. And if you're still awake and reading this I seriously doubt your sanity right now lol.

Jodan
October 2nd, 2004, 11:29 PM
Well, I have a funny story about deer hunting, but it's the old fashioned kind, on foot, using a spear. I have done this three times now with my friends, and we probably will make it a weekly thing.

The first time we did it, we used my friend's Honda Accord. We would drive around in this neighbourhood ripe with deer (the hunting grounds, if you will), until we sighted the herd. Upon sighting, we would catch them with the brights, and they would freeze. Slowly, we would get out of the car, walking slowly toward the deer, and when we were a little bit closer, we would run after them. One of our hunting implements was a spear made of PVC pipe, and wrapped in duct tape, which we would hurl at a deer. We chased the deer until they outran us, then we ran back to the car stumbling cause we were laughing so hard.

The second time we went hunting, we used my old Chevy S10 pick-up as the assault shuttle. My friends rode in the bed, and piled out to chase the deer. We followed the same pattern as I said above.

The latest time, we used my mom's suburban. Our hunting implements this time included my friends dull katana, as well as the spear. I had two people out on the running boards, for quick attack, and they would climb through the window whenever other cars were spotted. One thing that we did on the way was to hack Kerry/Edwards signs with my friend's katana, and my friend kept the remnants of one as a trophy. Another thing that was pretty great was one of my other friends who was riding the running boards kicked another guy off, so the other guy climbed up on the roof, and I swerved into trees. It was awesome.

And if you are wondering if I am making this up, or I was on any sort of drugs or alcohol, than you are wrong. This is what me and my friends do on Friday nights, cause we have no dates, or lives. Or common sense.

PiarasJ
October 3rd, 2004, 01:07 AM
That sounds like great fun (Both posts). I've only had one real hunting experience...it was interesting. A friend and I were firetwirling for a youth event a few weeks ago, and afterwards we decided to drive down to my block on the coast (It was 9:30pm), so we got our stuff and drove down. On the way we saw heaps of animals on the side of the road- wallabies, possums, rabbits...a bandicoot...and I had my sling with me, so every time we saw an animal we'd screech to a halt and jump out to take some shots at it. We must have driven for hours stopping and starting like that, and we hadn't caught anything (we were nearly at the block) then suddenly four or five rabbits dashed across the road in front of us. I was utterly knackered and didn't want to get out, so I gunned the engine and hit one. We just stunned it, and it was in perfect condition, so we skunned it and ate it the next day.

Rabbits are a pest in Australia, I think they were brought in for hunting by silly people who didn't know the damage they were causing. I didn't shoot at the bandicoot of course.

Mackinsie
October 3rd, 2004, 11:24 AM
Beelze - While I really hate hunting, I'm glad you had a nice time out with your dad. :) I'm also glad you hunt the right (legal) way with tags and everything. :)

Jodan - You and your friends were not hunting, you were poaching. Your actions make you guilty of animal cruelty in many states. Not too mention the danger (to you, other motorists and property) caused by your reckless driving.

Jodan
October 3rd, 2004, 11:36 AM
We don't kill anything, we just chase them around. Poaching would be if we actually killed some deer. And we do this late at night, past 12 AM, so there are very seldom other cars on the road, and driving at about 10-15 MPH.

Martin of Redwall II
October 3rd, 2004, 11:50 AM
no wish i have though

Rimrose
October 3rd, 2004, 12:18 PM
We don't kill anything, we just chase them around. Poaching would be if we actually killed some deer. And we do this late at night, past 12 AM, so there are very seldom other cars on the road, and driving at about 10-15 MPH.

So, let me get this straight... you are going out in a car/truck, spotlighting deer, chasing them with a sharpened PVC pipe and a katana blade... and you think it's alright because you haven't killed any of them yet? As Mackinsie said, at the very least, you and your friends are guilty of animal cruelty. Hurting an animal just because you can or because your bored is one of the worst kinds of animal cruelty.

Poaching also includes going onto another's property for the purpose of hunting. You don't have to kill the animal to be poaching.

Cheesethief
October 3rd, 2004, 12:36 PM
thats a crude form of hunting jodan. thats no fun.

anyway, i caught a six-pound trout when i was about
eight.
thats about it. :D

The Red Badger
October 3rd, 2004, 03:29 PM
*reads Jodan's post*

Just when I think there are no more ways for this generation to disappoint me. :shades:

Baby Rollo
October 3rd, 2004, 04:57 PM
Seriously, a PVC pipe and a wall-hanger katana. I am really ashamed. And hacking up Kerry/Edwards posters? Sheesh, some people don't have respect for others 1st-amendment rights. Besides, real men hunt with AK-47s with the dettachable grenade launcher.

Jodan
October 3rd, 2004, 04:57 PM
We haven't hurt any deer. We just chase them. The katana blade and PVC pipe serve only a ceremonial function. We just chase deer until they run into the brush, and then the hunt is on once again. If anything, we are actually helping them with their survival skills.

Baby Rollo
October 3rd, 2004, 05:50 PM
I don't know how scaring them out of their wits would help them with their survival skills.

Treerose
October 3rd, 2004, 05:50 PM
If anything, we are actually helping them with their survival skills.

Okay, that's really scraping the bottom of the excuses barrel...

Sad thing is, if you can't see the harm in what you and your friends are doing now, how much farther will you go before you do decide your actions are wrong?

Tree

~~~~~

"Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay."

~Alexandre Dumas~

Mackinsie
October 3rd, 2004, 06:22 PM
I don't even know how to respond to someone who can't see that their actions are wrong.

One of our hunting implements was a spear made of PVC pipe, and wrapped in duct tape, which we would hurl at a deer.

We haven't hurt any deer.

I assume, given the two quotes above, that the only reason that a deer has not been injured by you and your friends is because you guys can't throw the PVC pipe correctly. It is quite obvious in your first post that your intention was to injure the deer. Also, given the fact that you have gone out at least three different times to "hunt" deer, your intentions are even clearer.

The katana blade and PVC pipe serve only a ceremonial function.

:confused: :confused:

If anything, we are actually helping them with their survival skills.

I have to agree with Treerose. That really is scraping the bottom of the excuse barrel. In what scenario, would the deer need to know how to run away from teenage boys with a duct-tape wrapped pipe and a dull katana?

:(

Slagar the Cruel
October 3rd, 2004, 09:03 PM
Have you ever heard the wolf cry to the newborn moon?

Uh, yeah. I don't really like hunting for sport, so... can't make much further contribution to this topic. Besides railing on Jodan for his gross mistreatment of animals, which others have done before me.

Jodan
October 3rd, 2004, 11:04 PM
The spear is made of pvc pipe wrapped in duct tape. PVC pipe is not aerodynamic. It only flies about three feet, and the closest we ever get to deer is about ten feet or so.

And we are helping them survive by teaching them to fear humans.

You really just can't understand, unless you've tried it. So I suggest you make your own PVC spear, and get your own katana, and go chase some deer!

Martin the Warrior
October 3rd, 2004, 11:28 PM
::shakes head:: I'm surprised you don't get it, Jodan.

Slagar the Cruel
October 3rd, 2004, 11:29 PM
My suggestion to you wouldn't involve spears or katanas so much as throwing yourself into moving traffic. :p

Jodan
October 3rd, 2004, 11:31 PM
I do, I just am trying to make people understand that we are not physically harming the deer. I've been deer hunting in a blind and everything, but it was really boring, and just chasing the deer is pretty fun. It gives both parties (myself and my friends, and the deer) some good exercise. And you people thought my last excuse was bad.

Slagar the Cruel
October 3rd, 2004, 11:32 PM
I do.
Throw yourself into moving traffic? Good, it'll teach you to be scared of cars.

Martin the Warrior
October 3rd, 2004, 11:33 PM
There wasn't any need for that, Slagar. Keep things civil.

Jodan, it doesn't matter whether you hurt it or not. Bothering animals for the sheer heck of it is wrong. It's not harmless fun. Chasing after anything with a spear and/or a katana is wrong. You can get into a lot of trouble for doing it-- to the tune of $10,000+ in fines and serious jail time. Is the joy ride worth it?

Jodan
October 3rd, 2004, 11:34 PM
We posted at the same time, so I wasn't agreeing with you, I was responding to Martin's post.

Jodan
October 3rd, 2004, 11:38 PM
I understand what you're saying Martin, and I have to say we take many precautions against getting caught (people in the neighbourhood don't care, we have someone watching for other cars, we have an alibi, etc, etc), but I won't say that we would never get caught, since knowing my luck that would gurantee our capture.

Martin the Warrior
October 3rd, 2004, 11:39 PM
It's not about getting caught, it's about doing it in the first place. ;)

Jodan
October 3rd, 2004, 11:46 PM
Yeah, well. Anyways, we all know how everyone feels on this (I am ok with it, everyone else is not), so you should probably lock this one.

PiarasJ
October 4th, 2004, 02:06 AM
Nah don't lock it, this is funny. :p

I think if Jodan and his mates are able to kill a deer with a pvc pipe and a blunt katana they deserve a medal, not a fine. But besides the fact that it's illegal- I think it sounds like great fun. I can't imagine them getting close to a deer, even with a car, and it's good excersize and all that rot...the deer aren't stupid, they'll vanish into the trees.

This will not change anyone's views, so I don't know why I'm trying- but the thing is...if you're eating meat from the supermarket, an animal still had to die, the only difference between that and hunting is that when you go to the shop you pay money for someone else to do the dirty work. Hunting is good excersize, it gets you out in the fresh air, it's fun, improves patience, improves aim, improves stalking skills, it's REAL unlike sitting in front of a television or computer watching it happen...besides all that, hunting is more honest than eating meat from a supermarket. You're doing the stalking, waiting, killing, jointing etc etc...it's more fulfilling, you are eating something that you caught and defeated, not something that was born fenced in and killed in the dark by a slaughterer. So if anything, I would say that hunting for your food is more "ethical" than supermarket hunting, although there is nothing whatsoever wrong with either way of obtaining food, but hopefully you understand what I mean by "ethical".

If you're hunting for sport, then if the animal is abundant then go ahead, as long as the animal doesn't go to waste- but if you have a gun and a duck hunting license for instance, and you shoot at anything that moves...geese, swans, seagulls, kookaburras...then you are being silly. I don't like the idea of hunting just for trophy's either. The only animal (apart from fish) that I've ever hunted down is that rabbit, and rabbits are feral pests brought in by foreigners.

LadyBeelze
October 4th, 2004, 07:58 AM
:eek:

Sorry to agree with the others but just chasing deer all over the place isn't right. I'm pretty sure the deer already know how to run away and fear humans so i don't think they need your help. But continue on if you want, it's your choice. =/

PiarasJ
This will not change anyone's views, so I don't know why I'm trying- but the thing is...if you're eating meat from the supermarket, an animal still had to die, the only difference between that and hunting is that when you go to the shop you pay money for someone else to do the dirty work. Hunting is good excersize, it gets you out in the fresh air, it's fun, improves patience, improves aim, improves stalking skills, it's REAL unlike sitting in front of a television or computer watching it happen...besides all that, hunting is more honest than eating meat from a supermarket. You're doing the stalking, waiting, killing, jointing etc etc...it's more fulfilling, you are eating something that you caught and defeated, not something that was born fenced in and killed in the dark by a slaughterer. So if anything, I would say that hunting for your food is more "ethical" than supermarket hunting, although there is nothing whatsoever wrong with either way of obtaining food, but hopefully you understand what I mean by "ethical".

If you're hunting for sport, then if the animal is abundant then go ahead, as long as the animal doesn't go to waste- but if you have a gun and a duck hunting license for instance, and you shoot at anything that moves...geese, swans, seagulls, kookaburras...then you are being silly. I don't like the idea of hunting just for trophy's either. The only animal (apart from fish) that I've ever hunted down is that rabbit, and rabbits are feral pests brought in by foreigners.

Yeah what he said, lol. I'm to tired..it's only 4:00 A.M. But it's very rewarding to stalk, bring down, and eat. We've got about a million bags full of deer jerky now and some meat left in the fridge for steaks so we're not wasting anything. Except maybe the guts but i don't think anyone would want to eat it. :p

Jodan
October 4th, 2004, 10:16 AM
I would like to go bow hunting on foot for deer (the legitamate kind, on a lease). Now that would take skill. I've tried sitting in a blind with my dad, but I fell asleep. I do like bird hunting. I've only been dove, but I would love to go duck hunting. I could go with my uncle, since he has a trained Lab Retriever.

Martin the Warrior
October 4th, 2004, 02:28 PM
(I am ok with it, everyone else is not), so you should probably lock this one.

That's not how it works. You're free to bow out of the discussion if you wish, but the thread hasn't gotten out of hand so there's no need to lock it.

I think if Jodan and his mates are able to kill a deer with a pvc pipe and a blunt katana they deserve a medal, not a fine. But besides the fact that it's illegal- I think it sounds like great fun.

Disappointing. :(

I have no problem with hunting. I don't think I could personally do it unless it were a matter of survival, but I believe it's necessary in society and I don't judge those that hunt.

What Jodan and his friends are doing is not hunting. They're terrorizing animals because they're bored and have nothing better to do. They're being cruel for cruelty's sake and I am flabbergasted how he (and now you, Piaras) can't even see it.

How can you think what you're doing is alright if you've got to take the time to post a look-out and prepare an alibi? Knowing it's wrong and doing it anyway is even worse.

There's nothing fun or amusing about bothering animals for the heck of it. If you want to legitimately hunt them, that's one thing. Cruising for them on land where they're supposed to be protected is another.

It's despicable.

I hope you'll realize that.

Rillflag27
October 4th, 2004, 02:43 PM
A katana blade and a pvc pipe. I think Slagar has a good point but could have used a better example without cars. Imagine if you were in the woods, never had any civilizing at all and some random thing came at you with a veichle seldom seen, not even knowing what it is and then things you've never seen come out of the veichle and start attacking you. Would you think it's funny? Would you be scared? No and yes. Use some thought Jodan.

Back on original subject. I envy you beelze, I wanna go hunting....it's so cool. But one things I don't get is hunter have a gun and the deer is there but they don't shoot it. They wait for like 2 hours, doesn't stand to sense to get it before it runs away. Maybe I could convince my sisters husband to take me hunting, he does it all the time. :)

Baby Rollo
October 4th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Forgive me for being a romantic or a fool, but I think hunting is fun. Of course, I myself can never bring harm to a living thing like a deer or a fox with a gun or a bow. I might take up bull-fighting since the bulls can fight back--but they are usually beaten or electricuted before the fight.

That reminds me, people in Spain justify bull-fighting by saying that a regular bull would live a long, dull life making calves and then ending up as someone's burger. But in a bullfight, it has a chance to make a glorious stand against its enemies and be honored by the audience.

Abbess Sinister
October 4th, 2004, 05:16 PM
It may not be huntin' story, but I have heard the amazing howl of the coyote. I was under incredible conditions also. It was our (my family's) l;ast night staying in this guest house in Phoenix. It was pitch-black outside and we were having this thunderstorm. Hands down, thunderstorms in the southwest are more cool than they are on the east coast. Back in the east, they frighten the heck outta me. But this was beautiful because it lit up the mountains surrounding our house. Then in the middle of this storm my dad and I heard this howling. We figured it was coyote. It was sooooooooooooo cool!!!

Nora the Rover
October 4th, 2004, 07:00 PM
I dunno. I've never really even liked the fact that hunting is even considered a sport. All hunting has ever done is cause a load of problems. It pushes the hunted animals, along with their natural predators, out of their enviroments and migratory areas. Many of these animals have found different routes through more dangerous areas, such as major highways or cities.
I'm not against hunting, if it's a matter of survival, or the animal population is at an imbalance in certain areas.
Other than that, I think it's just a cruel sport.

Bladeswift
October 4th, 2004, 07:50 PM
I dunno. I've never really even liked the fact that hunting is even considered a sport. All hunting has ever done is cause a load of problems. It pushes the hunted animals, along with their natural predators, out of their enviroments and migratory areas. Many of these animals have found different routes through more dangerous areas, such as major highways or cities.
I'm not against hunting, if it's a matter of survival, or the animal population is at an imbalance in certain areas.
Other than that, I think it's just a cruel sport.
The only times areas become unbalanced with animal populations is when there isn't anything keeping the population in check. That's why areas that outlaw hunting are often forced to open a special hunting season every so often because they are too ignorant to allow a stable hunting season that keeps them from getting out of hand in the first place.

As to those who call it cruel. If you eat meat from a grocery store, it's the exact same thing. It doesn't matter if you're not the one killing it, you still ate the meat. If you're a vegetarian who refuses to eat meat because you think it's wrong, you should look up why you have canines in your mouth. Humans are omnivores, they're supposed to eat meat!

Baby Rollo
October 4th, 2004, 08:46 PM
The ones killed in the factor die quickly and painlessly. The ones that get shot die a very painful death.

Cinnabarr Rivershell
October 4th, 2004, 09:16 PM
I've said it before. I dislike the thought of hunting something and killing it, when there is perfectly good meat at the store for you to buy. But if you like hunting, I'm not going to pounce on you, but be aware that I have made a mental note of your hunting/killing of animals.

As for you Joden. I cannot express how disturbed I am by what you have said in this thread. I cannot comprehend how anyone would abuse an animal just because they are bored. And don't give me any dim-witted excuses like you did before. You are a fool, Joden, and if this forum didn't have word restrictions I'd call you something a lot worse than a fool. When my freinds and I get bored, we usually go see a movie or play a sports game or just hang out. We don't go out terrorizing defenceless animals just for the pleasure of feeling big, bad, and superior. "ME MAN, ME STRONG!" That's what I'm getting from you. I have lost all respect for you Joden. People like you make me sick.

Rillflag27
October 4th, 2004, 10:12 PM
Maybe a private message would be better for that Cinnabarr. Don't need to express that much anger here. As for me when I'm bored I do this. ;)

Jodan
October 4th, 2004, 10:21 PM
I've said it before. I dislike the thought of hunting something and killing it, when there is perfectly good meat at the store for you to buy. But if you like hunting, I'm not going to pounce on you, but be aware that I have made a mental note of your hunting/killing of animals.

As for you Joden. I cannot express how disturbed I am by what you have said in this thread. I cannot comprehend how anyone would abuse an animal just because they are bored. And don't give me any dim-witted excuses like you did before. You are a fool, Joden, and if this forum didn't have word restrictions I'd call you something a lot worse than a fool. When my freinds and I get bored, we usually go see a movie or play a sports game or just hang out. We don't go out terrorizing defenceless animals just for the pleasure of feeling big, bad, and superior. "ME MAN, ME STRONG!" That's what I'm getting from you. I have lost all respect for you Joden. People like you make me sick.

Ok.

And eating meat you bought in a store is no different than killing it yourself, you're just paying a middle man to do it for you. And, I wouldn't exactly call deer defenseless either. They have a defense: being able to run quick and jump high.

PiarasJ
October 5th, 2004, 12:08 AM
My point with giving Jodan a medal if he managed to kill a deer with a blunt katana was that it won't happen, and if it did then he would be worthy of respect for being that skilled. But yes, I can see exactly why everyone is against what Jodan and his friends were doing, but...I can't see how it causes the deer any more pain than the bother of having to dash away into the trees. If they'd managed to spear a deer I haven't a clue what they'd do with it, so I guess that goes under what I said about waste. Plus it would be a brutal death for the deer...it's not very nice. I think with that- it's a thrill to chase the deer, and while you're chasing it you hope you can catch it and kill it, but as soon as you manage to bring it down you feel remorse because..................you're not using the meat, you could have used more humane weapons, you didn't have a license- whatever your reasons are.

A pvc spear and blunt katana would bounce off a deer's hide even if they did manage to get close enough to throw it.

Upon sighting, we would catch them with the brights, and they would freeze. Slowly, we would get out of the car, walking slowly toward the deer, and when we were a little bit closer, we would run after them. One of our hunting implements was a spear made of PVC pipe, and wrapped in duct tape, which we would hurl at a deer. We chased the deer until they outran us, then we ran back to the car stumbling cause we were laughing so hard. The thing is, they weren't even chasing the deer in the car, they were getting out and stalking the deer, then chasing on foot. I can't see how that is causing anymore terror to the deer than Beelz's way of hunting. But you will now say "how would you like it if a bunch of aliens charged at you yelling and screaming, brandishing pvc pipes and katanas?" and I will say "I wouldn't like it very much, but if these aliens had two legs to my four then I wouldn't be too concerned for my safety- I would be concerned for their state of mind." I think you lot are just jealous that Jodan is having so much fun! :P But yes, it is illegal...so stuff it. You win.

Martin the Warrior
October 5th, 2004, 01:01 AM
Cinnabarr-- Same thing I told Slagar. Name calling is out of line. If you can't be civil, you're better off not posting.

Piaras-- The fundamental difference is you're looking at the situation in legal/illegal terms, we're looking at it in moral/ethical terms. Chasing and terrorizing an animal is cruel, regardless of whether it's hurt or not. What Jodan and his friends were doing is no different than running into a bunch of ducks sleeping on a shore just to see them panic and take flight-- or going into a crowded movie theater and yelling "FIRE!" There is a very real possibility the deer could injure itself during its flight from these strange attackers and wind up with a broken leg, etc. It's not an issue of illegality (although it is), but of morality.

PiarasJ
October 5th, 2004, 04:45 AM
Yeah, I see that. You're right, but I still don't see any difference between hunting with guns and chasing deer with a spear, except that chasing deer with a pvc spear isn't likely to end in their death. I don't know though, I'm not a deer. I think everyone overreacted about how cruel this is...the deer dash off, Jodan and his mates run back laughing and that's the end of it. I thought everyone was being a bit hard on him. :\

But yes, you are right, it is silly, irresponsible, illegal and annoying for the deer- I wouldn't say it was cruel though...unless they managed to wound a deer, which would cause unnecessary suffering to the animal when a gun would do the job more effectively, although not always, as in the case Beelz described. And I can't really address what you said about the likelihood of a deer injuring itself in flight because I don't know how often that happens. That would be terrible and isn't something that I considered.

Jodan
October 5th, 2004, 01:03 PM
I want to thank Piaras for standing up for me in all this. And I finally looked at Rollo's post awhile ago, about the grenade launcher, and I have only one thing to say: I salute you.

But getting back to the topic at hand, from an ehtical standpoint, how is chasing deer any different than actually killing them? Often, when deer get shot they can run quite a distance. I know this firsthand, having been deer hunting with my dad. He got one, and we tracked it for about 30 minutes before we actually found it. How is that better than just running after deer in general? I'm not saying it's wrong, just that if you are accusing me of animal cruelty, than by your definition you are also guilty.

If my friends and I were actually trying to injure or kill the deer, then that would be crossing ethical and moral boundaries, but we are not.

Rillflag27
October 5th, 2004, 01:59 PM
If my friends and I were actually trying to injure or kill the deer, then that would be crossing ethical and moral boundaries, but we are not.

Contradiction here. How is throwing a PVC pipe and a katana blade at the deer purposefully not trying to hurt them. What are you trying to do? Hurt them. Think Jodan, it's ok to say your wrong. you don't have to keep putting up an argument. Even if you don't want to believe it just say your wrong and everyone else will drop the subject, don't hate people for this. it's not something to get obsessed over.

Jodan
October 5th, 2004, 03:06 PM
We don't throw the katana, and I've been hit by the spear. It doesn't even have a point on it, it's end is wrapped in duct tape, so it barely even hurt.

Aleisou Swiftpounce
October 5th, 2004, 03:06 PM
You're a monster, Jodan. I've always hated hunting and I always will, no matter what you say - although if it's to keep numbers down, or to help another species (for example the problem we have with mink eating water voles we have here in Britain) I can see the point.

What you're doing is too cruel. How you can possibly laugh at these things is beyond me. Hunting for sport seems nothing compared to what you're doing. I mean - scaring the poor things witless and using a katana against them - for the love of God, are you out of your mind? How would you like it if that happened to you?
I'd like it if it happened to you, that's for sure.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Jodan
October 5th, 2004, 03:50 PM
How many times do have to say: WE DON"T USE THE KATANA. We just have it with us to hack Kerry/Edwards signs.

Baby Rollo
October 5th, 2004, 04:42 PM
And I finally looked at Rollo's post awhile ago, about the grenade launcher, and I have only one thing to say: I salute you

That was called sarcasm. Besides I'm a bankvole, not a human.

We just have it with us to hack Kerry/Edwards signs.

That's called vandalism. How would you like it if someone did that to a Bush/Cheney sign? I don't think people will like that either.

Besides, a dull, wallhanger katana would more likely hurt you. The sharper a knive, the safer. Same thing applies to a katana. You're going to get hurt if you don't use it properly. It could bounce off or most likely break the tip and have it go to someone's stomach. I saw one video of this guy on QVC showing how strong a practice katana was. He was tapping it and then it broke in half and the pointy part went into his tummy. Then this guy comes up and he's all like, "I think we're going to need immediate medical surgery."

Martin the Warrior
October 5th, 2004, 04:49 PM
For the last time, guys, namecalling is out of line. Aleisou, calling him a "monster" was uncalled for. Enough personal attacks! There is a line between the issue and the person. Don't cross it. I'm not going to warn anyone again.

Jodan & Piaras-- hopefully this will be the last clarificaton I'll have to make (although somehow I doubt it). The difference between what's happening and hunting is an issue of responsibility. There are quite a few people who believe hunting for food is necessary, but hunting for sport is wrong. It's an ethical issue and an issue of waste. I have no problem with a hunter obtaining a license, going out to hunting grounds, killing a deer, and eating the meat. Unless I'm mistaken, that's what Beelze does. I don't care if the hunter uses a bow & arrow, rifle, shotgun, knife-- I accept that form of hunting.

Teenage boys cruising in a Honda with posted look-outs, alibis, a sharpened PVC pipe/spear, and a katana blade going after deer on protected lands without a hunting license is another story. Nothing from the story suggests that if they did injure one (they're called "accidents" for a reason) that the deer would be disposed of properly. Furthermore its clear that their intent is not to go after the deer for food, but rather because they can/because they're bored. It's a horse of a completely different color and that is where the line is crossed.

Finally, Jodan, hearing that you don't use the katana is a new one to me. The way you presented it in your original post...

Our hunting implements this time included my friends dull katana, as well as the spear.

...suggested that the katana was brought along for the "hunt" and hacking political signs was a side-story.

Jodan
October 5th, 2004, 04:50 PM
We just carry it when chasing deer. And don't worry about the name calling. It doesn't really bother me. And the PVC pipe is not sharpened. As I said before, I've been hit with it, and it has no point and it doesn't hurt.

Martin the Warrior
October 5th, 2004, 05:11 PM
And don't worry about the name calling. It doesn't really bother me.

I'm glad to hear that, but it doesn't matter. It's prohibited in our Terms of Use and I can't overlook it.

TheConqueror
October 5th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Well, i truthfully dont see how any of you made it this far in life. You all seem to think that they are scaring these animals. And that its animal cruelty. But if you know anything about deer, then you would know that the pathetic excuse of a spear they have would do jack to a deer. Theres a reason you use a high powered rifle to kill the stupid animals. As for the katana if its dull its probably not going to do anything either to the deer. But of you could kill a deer with a dull katana i also agree you should get a medal. If you hit a deer with that thing its going to stand up and its going to kick the stuffing outta ya. So i say they are teaching the animals survival skills. They arent scaring them. So quit being liberal tree hugging pansy hippies, and get over it. The fact is you nothing about anthing you are talking about. And i think its so funny how you continue to argue over nothing. Get over yourselves, and get a life for god sakes. Dont worry Jodan we will bring the commy's down together man.

Baby Rollo
October 5th, 2004, 05:35 PM
*rubs eyes*

My, my, a conservative from the 80's.

Just a wee little warning: Watch the tongue, please.

Martin the Warrior
October 5th, 2004, 05:38 PM
TheConqueror's account has been gagged for 24 hours to give him ample time to review the Terms of Use for this forum ( http://forums.longpatrolclub.com/faq.php? ). Re-editing a post already corrected by a moderator to reinsert the offending language is unacceptable.

The account will be reactivated tomorrow evening.

Bladeswift
October 5th, 2004, 06:19 PM
The ones killed in the factor die quickly and painlessly. The ones that get shot die a very painful death.
Take a trip to a slaughter house some time. There's nothing humane about it.

Baby Rollo
October 5th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Yeah, hit it in the base of the neck with that air or electric gun they use. What's not "humane" is what they do after it's dead. You know, turn it into meat and meat by-products.

Jodan
October 5th, 2004, 10:06 PM
Thank you Conqueror, for your support. And nice job on getting locked out on your first day. And yes, the commies must fall.

Aleisou Swiftpounce
October 6th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Take a trip to a slaughter house some time. There's nothing humane about it.

Yeah, you know I think I might. I've always wanted to see a load of cows be killed.
And I was being sarcastic.

I think if Jodan and his mates are able to kill a deer with a pvc pipe and a blunt katana they deserve a medal, not a fine.

You know what, that's really sad. Nobody, but nobody, deserves a medal for killing anything.

And also, if you use the katana to cut up Kerry signs - that's still bad, because it's destroying something which isn't yours and you have no right to do so.
And your pathetic argument that you are teaching the deer to fear humans is complete rubbish. Think about it - many wild animals run away from humans anyway. They don't need to be taught, because, as you've seen, they can already do it. Besides, the only reason they actually need to run away is because people like you exist.

Baby Rollo
October 6th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Thank you Conqueror, for your support. And nice job on getting locked out on your first day. And yes, the commies must fall.

Is Conqueror going to be another Boar? Or Si? Is Jodan on the path as well?

Yeah, you know I think I might. I've always wanted to see a load of cows be killed.

Cows in slaughter-houses die quick and painless deaths. I saw it on the History Channel. The cattle just collapse. Some sort of electric gun is fired into the base of their necks and they die right away. Then %99.9 percent of their body is used whether for food or lab projects for medical students. That's more humane than say shooting a deer in the stomach and not capturing it. Or getting your foot caught in a trap for several days.

PiarasJ
October 6th, 2004, 05:07 PM
I think I just got Swiftpounced on.

Originally posted by me: My point with giving Jodan a medal if he managed to kill a deer with a blunt katana was that it won't happen, and if it did then he would be worthy of respect for being that skilled. Emphasis on the skill, not the kill. I see why you misunderstood me though, I put that very badly. :p

Oringinally posted by Rollo: That's more humane than say shooting a deer in the stomach and not capturing it. Or getting your foot caught in a trap for several days. Who did that?

Baby Rollo
October 6th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Bad hunters

Aleisou Swiftpounce
October 7th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Sorry if I seem a bit evil and angry, but I really can't stand the killing of anything. When people kill a spider at school I go all mad and Bloodwrathy.
I'm a rights activist, you see. When I heard yesterday that somebody was going to die in a house fire, and then some firemen went in, only to go outside and find that the ambulance had been STOLEN I almost got a knife and charged out to hunt them down...

I have no temper, you see.

Grath
October 7th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Why would you want to hurt or kill deer when you can go squirrel fishing. :D

http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~yaz/en/squirrel_fishing.html

PiarasJ
October 7th, 2004, 05:00 PM
You have every right to be angry about that, bloodwrath wouldn't do the situation justice. Stealing an ambulance is low.

Squirrel fishing sounds like fun, I wonder if it works with possums...you see, we have a chronic lack of squirrels in Australia and it causes no end of frustration to the national guild of squirrel fishers.

Felldoh
October 7th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Someone stole an ambulance?! Wow... I don't know enough explicit words to express how stupid that is. Some people... just need to die.

Squirrel fishing... sounds fun. :D I could easily do it where I live... we have plenty of squirrels here.

Bladeswift
October 7th, 2004, 07:40 PM
Yeah, hit it in the base of the neck with that air or electric gun they use. What's not "humane" is what they do after it's dead. You know, turn it into meat and meat by-products.
You left out the part about being crammed in cages not even big enough for one cow, much less two or more. Or chickens having their beaks cut off to keep them from fighting with one another before they're processed. Not that it matters, anyway. If it's killed it's killed. The circumstances of its death are irrelevant.

Cale Yin
October 8th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Wow, this is depressing.

Grath's squirrel-fishing post is awesome. :D

LadyBeelze
October 8th, 2004, 03:04 PM
LoL! Squirrel fishing, now I壇 love to do that..if there were any in this area. I like the last picture on the page where it's being lifted off the ground. Poor thing probably freaked out at that point ^-^

And if you hit an animal in the right spot it dies right on the spot and there's no prolonged pain to worry about. The only reason that the deer I got this year ran so far is because the muzzleloader was a bit slow and hit it's right hind-leg. I felt sorry that it had to go so long with that pain but there was nothing I could do about it. That's why the rifle season is better than the muzzleloader, the rifle bullets go faster and you can reload in a mere second if you miss the target.