PDA

View Full Version : What instrument do you play?

Martin of Redwall II
October 6th, 2004, 11:13 AM
i play drums, guitar, very little piano, trumpet and cant think of any thing else :D

Rillflag27
October 6th, 2004, 11:24 AM
I play Drums/Percussion and piano. As I've said before my bro plays Violin, Organ and Piano and Jazz Piano. I wanna take guitar but ever since my friend came over with his guitar and we played "Brain Stew" like 20 times she won't let me. So I'm getting help from my friend's mom and my choir pianist to help me out here. :)

Martin of Redwall II
October 6th, 2004, 11:34 AM
sweet....
i know how to play most of avril's songs......
like complicated, anything but ordinary, and a couple more...
guitar is awsome... it's a bit easier to play than drums even though i have more experience with drums..... ;)

Jodan
October 6th, 2004, 11:46 AM
I play Trombone in my school's band. I had a little jazz group going for awhile, but we kind of lost interest. I would love to learn to play guitar or bass guitar, but I don't have the time or the commitment to learn a new instrument.

Trowbaggs
October 6th, 2004, 12:10 PM
I used to play the alto sax. But then I got into Civil Air Patrol. :D

Treerose
October 6th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Love these kinds of topics... :D

I play the flute (duh <g>), and when I'm forced to, the piccolo. I used to play piano and violin, but I haven't practiced on them for so long, they don't seem to count anymore...

How about dream instruments...anything you'd like to play someday?

I already play the instruments I want to, but I'd like to play some specific instruments.... a Stradivarius violin, Mozart's piano, etc. Probably won't happen, but who knows? ;)

Just some unsolicited advice... keep up your instruments! If I had a dime for every adult who tells me they wished they'd kept up their music... ;)

Tree

~~~~~

"I find piano practicing a great effort, yet one dare not ignore it. It's like an animal whose heads are continually growing again, however many one cuts off."

~Ferruccio Busoni~

Cheesethief
October 6th, 2004, 03:07 PM
piano. im a grade 1-er. :rolleyes: but i play some mean tunes... ;) satchel belch cannon anyone? :lol:
i used to play cello, but gave it up. the teacher, i didnt like.

Baby Rollo
October 6th, 2004, 03:24 PM
I played the piano about a year after I was born. Then I stopped 'cause I didn't like it too much. And I still play the flute--though I'm only mediocre at it.

I also know some chords on the guitar and I could pick it a bit.

My dream instrument would be the violin or the fiddle.

Felldoh
October 6th, 2004, 04:48 PM
I play the drums/percussion, I self taught myself a song on the piano, and I want to learn how to play the guitar. :D

Goddess of Darkness
October 6th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Hey, Cheese, you played cello? Neat. I play cello, as well as singing in choir.

Bereden the Intrepid
October 6th, 2004, 06:12 PM
In fourth grade I played the cello. In fifth grade, I played the clarinet. In sixth grade I switched to the alto saxophone. I played the baritone saxophone throughout highschool. I still have my alto sax, but had to return the bari sax to the highschool when I graduated.

dandin1
October 6th, 2004, 06:35 PM
I play the piano and drums (as in a drum set! Not auxilary percusions :p *shake shake shake shake*). I took lessons for about four year in piano (then the teacher moved or something) and I play drums for my music class at school.

Lyrian Aryns
October 6th, 2004, 07:46 PM
I can play the piano... sorta. I've never had any formal lessons, but a certain musical friend just grabbed me one day, dragged me over to her piano and said, "Keys. Memorize. Now." and I was too scared not to comply. :P I'm not particularly good at it, but it's fun.

I also played the recorder for a very, very short time in third grade. The music teacher at my school thought it'd be a good idea to start a recorder club, much to many parents' dismay... it didn't last too long.

PiarasJ
October 6th, 2004, 08:28 PM
I played sax for a few months before the teacher kicked me off it, I still don't know why. :confused: I sucked at it, but that's alright. I also tried to learn guitar for a while, but I got sick of it. Being forced to do music at school was the worst thing about grades 2 until 8 for me, it made me sick to think about walking into the classroom. But thankfully that suffering is wearing off after three and a half years and I can talk about music without vomiting. Music is such a beautiful thing, but I hated learning it in a classroom...that's my sob story. ;) I think it was an attitude problem that I had towards that particular class. (Wow, I just accepted some of the blame, I think I'm making some progress. :p )

Lonna Bowstripe
October 6th, 2004, 08:44 PM
edit: nevermind

Lonna Bowstripe
October 6th, 2004, 08:45 PM
I play the piano, and I am working to get Debussey's Golliwogg's Cakewalk to perfection so I can enter a competion and win $100!
I can play the Mario theme music, as well as Zelda. I also play a bit of drums.

Jodan
October 6th, 2004, 08:52 PM
Yeah, I can play Zelda on my trombone. It's pretty cool.

Nora the Rover
October 6th, 2004, 09:11 PM
The extent of my musical talent is probably only playing the guitar and singing.
I've tried different instruments, but I haven't really found one that I've liked, (or that I'm good at), besides the guitar.

Akkess of Empyrean
October 6th, 2004, 09:19 PM
I play percussion in the school band, which includes the set,timpani,xylophone,chimes,etc. (gotta love the gong! :D ) I play castanets for my dance and I'm a self taught pianist.

Dream intsrument: That would have to be.....the saw! :D I want to play an organ to, just to feel the deep vibrations running through your spine! :p

Cheesethief
October 7th, 2004, 03:26 PM
If I had a dime for every adult who tells me they wished they'd kept up their music... if i had a dime for every time ive heard someone say that...id have about 12 pounds... ;)

Hey, Cheese, you played cello? Neat. I play cello, as well as singing in choir. yeah...the teach gave me too easy stuff and wouldnt let me progress so i quit.

Mariel StormRider
October 7th, 2004, 10:27 PM
I play the flute (GO WOODWINDS!!!) and piano. Somtimes I play the piccolo in band, but not all the times.

Treerose
October 8th, 2004, 12:17 AM
And I still play the flute--though I'm only mediocre at it.

I play the flute (GO WOODWINDS!!!) and piano. Somtimes I play the piccolo in band, but not all the times.

Yay, flutes! We shall take over the Forum yet! :D Er... ::looks around guiltily and straightens her halo:: I meant, we could start a flute choir... :)

::shudders:: I actually loathe flute choirs. ;) Too many flutes all playing out of tune. I used to be in one... I think I'm still scarred by the "interpretive dance with tablecloth" the director did at one of our concerts while we played. (That was my final performance with them. <g>)

Tree

~~~~~

"Inspiration is wonderful when it happens, but the writer must develop an approach for the rest of the time... The wait is simply too long."

~Leonard Bernstein~

Martin of Redwall II
October 8th, 2004, 11:36 AM
boo ;)
go guitar :D :D :D

LadyBeelze
October 8th, 2004, 03:13 PM
None at all. When band became a class option at Middle School everyone was signing up and i was like "Pssh, yeah right. Who wants to be a band geek?" Now i regret that but if i really want i could try to learn..it's not to late right? :p

Treerose
October 8th, 2004, 06:15 PM
It's never too late! :D

Tree

~~~~~~

"I've never known a musician who regretted being one. Whatever deceptions life may have in store for you, music itself is not going to let you down."

~Virgil Thomson~

Martin of Redwall II
October 9th, 2004, 01:31 AM
yiss yiss! :D

granola woodsworth
October 9th, 2004, 02:05 AM
My instrument is my vocal chords; I consider that the body's instrument. :rolleyes: I love my solo in choir. :D Has anyone heard of the song "You Raise Me Up" by Josh Groban? I love that song. :D

Martin of Redwall II
October 9th, 2004, 02:09 AM
My instrument is my vocal chords; I consider that the body's instrument. :rolleyes: I love my solo in choir. :D Has anyone heard of the song "You Raise Me Up" by Josh Groban? I love that song. :D
no i've never heard that song...........

Lonna Bowstripe
October 9th, 2004, 11:33 AM

No but I've heard of "You raise me up" by Saelay

Ringothewarrior
October 22nd, 2004, 07:11 PM
I play the piano.

Satacu
October 22nd, 2004, 11:40 PM
I play the Ocarina from the legend of zelda, special order ;)

Ringothewarrior
October 23rd, 2004, 06:58 AM
Really? Or are you lying?

Mackinsie
October 23rd, 2004, 11:58 AM
I remember that the Ocarina was offered when that game came out. :)

I play the piano. :)

Satacu
October 23rd, 2004, 12:27 PM
seriously, if you look in the back of any nintendo power from this year it's there ordered it about 5 months ago and been playing ever since

Slagar the Cruel
October 23rd, 2004, 12:27 PM
I remember seeing ads for the OOT ocarina in Nintendo Power. ...for, like, a long time.

Treerose
October 24th, 2004, 01:10 AM
This is very interesting about the Zelda ocarina... I just learned a piece for flute that has a small section for ocarina (which I don't have). My teacher said he'd lend me his when I perform it, but as his is over 100 years old and extremely fragile, that makes me very nervous... :O And in any case, I should get my own eventually.

So, yeah, I think I'll keep this in mind. :D An OoT ocarina would be fun to use, because in my book, any video game that requires music in order to be played is great and should be duly supported. <g> And the range fits the notes I need - I just found a website that sells them and was able to listen to audio clips, and the tone was clear and sweet, too.

Tree

~~~~~

"A conductor should reconcile himself to the realization that regardless of his approach or temperament, the eventual result is the same - the orchestra will hate him."

~Oscar Levant~

PiarasJ
October 24th, 2004, 01:19 AM
How do you play an ocarina? Are they played like a flute or pan pipes, or do they have a reed or something else?

Treerose
October 24th, 2004, 04:49 PM
An ocarina is one of many hundred varieties of flutes...it's very old, goes back thousands of years... It doesn't really look like a "flute" - i.e. something that's long and where you blow across a hole at one end. It's usually roundish and hollow with some finger holes, but the shape can vary - my teacher has a gigantic flute collection, and he has an ancient South American ocarina that's shaped like a person (not the one he'll let me play - too valuable :p). As for playing it, Satacu could tell you exactly how it's done, but it's an end-blown flute (like the shakuhachi), which means the basic premise is like a whistle: you blow into a mouthpiece, and the air eddies around the flat, sharp-edged surface in front of the mouthpiece, which causes the sound.

Tree

~~~~~

"There is no secret to excel in playing the shakuhachi.
Blow not intensely, but from your heart.
Although technique is secondary, it helps to express your true self.
If we are natural, we make fine sound.
If we have an open mind, our sound will be mellow.
If we have right attitudes toward life,
our music will be acceptable to everyone.
Take care of your sound as you would care for yourself."

~Masayuki Koga~