PDA

View Full Version : The Best...

Rimrose
November 16th, 2004, 04:51 PM
In your opinion, what is the best book in the world?

...the best album?

...the best movie?

...the best food?

(The best doesn't necessarily have to be your favorite :) )

LordTBT
November 16th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Best book: haven't read it yet. I've read several books I enjoy, but nothing spectacularly life changing yet.

Best album: Endtroducing - DJ Shadow

Best movie: Fight Club

best food: Italian. American comes close second.

Felldoh
November 16th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Best Book: I'll have to agree with LordTBT here. But I can tell you my favorite is "The Oaken Throne" by Robin Jarvis.

Best Album: "The Fragile" - Nine Inch Nails

Best Movie: Jacob's Ladder

Best Food: I have to agree with LordTBT again... Italian food rocks all.

LadyBeelze
November 16th, 2004, 05:57 PM
The first three to me are rather hard for me to decide so i'll just skip to ..the FOOD..which reminds me that i'm really HUNGRY *drool*

Best Food: Marshmellow Malts or Mexican Food ..nice and spicy and HOT .. Swedish Fish , and Fortune Cookies. Yeah. :p

Lonna Bowstripe
November 16th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Book: I'd have to say that Tolkien wrote a huge piece of literature when he wrote LOTR. It has so many plot twists, ect. and is extremely hard to nitpick.

Movie: ROTK

Album: Poodle Hat - Weird Al

Food: Japanese

Ferahgo the Assassin
November 16th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Book: The Worthing Saga by Orson Scott Card
Album: Not sure, too many from which to choose
Movie: Again ...
Food: ITALIAN!

volatilis unus
November 16th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Book: so far "Dream a little dream" buy piers anthony and julie brady

Movie: all the lotr movies <3

Album: I havent bought it yet but it's gunna be Josh Groban- Closer <3

Food: as everyone else has said- ITALIAN *drool*

Cinnabarr Rivershell
November 16th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Best Book: Way too many to choose from.

Best Album: "The Chronicles of Life and Death" - Good Charlotte
OR "Franz Ferdinand" - Franz Ferdinand (It depends on my mood.)

Best Movie: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (I consider all three movies just one movie)

Best Food: Either pizza or Mexican food.

Badrang3
November 16th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Best Book: I'll get back to this one.

Best Movie: Die Hard or The Matrix movies (NOT the second one, however.)

Best food: Donuts.

Best Album: The Beatles 1

Bladeswift
November 16th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Book:Too many to choose from, but my top two would be LoTR, and The Flight of Dragons (the book that ignited my interest in fantasy)
Album: I don't listen to much music at all, but my favorite is Sinner by Drowning Pool
Movie: Braveheart (forgot about that movie)
Food: Thai, Mexican... anything spicy really.

LordTBT
November 16th, 2004, 06:47 PM
(NOT the second one, however

the second Die Hard or the second Matrix?

Badrang3
November 16th, 2004, 06:49 PM
the second Die Hard or the second Matrix?

The second Matrix. It had no plot, too many pointless action sequences, and, ironically enough, not any purpose other than showing Smith cloning himself.

Temmlock
November 16th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Book: I want to just say LOTR and be done with it. Yes, that's what I'll say.

Album: I'd be hard pressed to choose my favorite album, let alone the best ever recorded! Something by Pink Ployd, perhaps... it's still a stretch. I think people would laugh if I said the Deftones' "White Pony" is the best album ever written, but it's definitely very good. "14 Shades of Grey" by Staind is also in the running.

Movie: Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark... or LOTR.

Food: Once upon a time I would have said seafood, but I don't think it's the best anymore. Now I'd have to go with Mexican. Chips and Salsa make the wait worthwhile! :p

PiarasJ
November 16th, 2004, 07:51 PM
I'll have say my favourites, because I don't know which is the best...I only know how they appear to me.

Best book: This one I think I can answer with "the best", I know it'll sound dumb and contrived, but the best book is the Bible. It has been around in part or in full for thousands of years, it was the first book printed on a printing press and is still tops the bestseller list. I heard somewhere that they had to take it off the list because they wanted to give others a chance at the top spot. No matter how much you analyse it there will always be mysteries, and the greatest thinkers in the world have not been able to reduce it or pick it apart or get to the bottom of all the meanings, or all the implications of it. *deep breath* That sentence makes very little sense. A close second would be Pilgrim's Progress, the original version by John Bunyan. The best way I can describe it is to say that it is full of wisdom. It is extremely threatening to me personally, and sometimes when I read it I feel like I'm being punched in the gut by a boxer named guilt, but...I like it. When I read it I keep seeing myself in the "bad" characters, which turns me upside down more often than not because I consider myself to be quite a good boy. ;) There is so far you can go with all the wisdom in those two books. ...The wisdom in Pilgrim's Progress is drawn from the Bible though, so the Bible wins hands down for me.

Best album: Maybe Bob Dylan, Masterpieces. Or Ben Harper, The Will To Live. Or Jars Of Clay, Much Afraid. Or...I'll stop there.

Best movie: The Craic :p

Best food: Pasta! (Italian once again :P).

Jodan
November 16th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Best book- not sure. I have many favorites, but I guess my favorite books is the Star Wars Hand of Thrawn duology.

Best Album- again, many favorites. I think maybe the complete Who, maybe

Movie- Star Wars movies or Godfather series

Food- Chinese, favorite item is the Orange Chicken.

LordTBT
November 16th, 2004, 08:02 PM
Food- Chinese, favorite item is the Orange Chicken.

That's my favorite Chinese delicacy myself.

Jodan
November 16th, 2004, 08:04 PM
It's even better now that a Panda Express opened up nearby. It's a Chinese fast food place, fairly cheap for Chinese food but as good as a sit-down restaurant. I can go get Orange Chicken anytime I want!!!

Ferahgo the Assassin
November 16th, 2004, 08:13 PM
Orange chicken is easily my favorite Chinese food too. When I went to Washington, DC last spring I ate at an 'authentic' Chinese restaurant and had THE BEST orange chicken that my taste buds have ever had the pleasure of receiving. Mmmmm. Delectable!

LordTBT
November 16th, 2004, 08:16 PM
Theres a local Chinese takeout/delivery restaurant here in my college town. They are definitely good. 10 bucks gets me a large order of orange chicken and 2 things of white rice, with still a little money to tip the guy.

Furrtil
November 16th, 2004, 08:20 PM
[QUOTE=TemmlockAlbum: I'd be hard pressed to choose my favorite album, let alone the best ever recorded! Something by Pink Ployd, perhaps... it's still a stretch. I think people would laugh if I said the Deftones' "White Pony" is the best album ever written, but it's definitely very good. "14 Shades of Grey" by Staind is also in the running.[/QUOTE]

YES! Best Album: "14 Shades of Grey" - Staind.

Best Book -- Uhh... I dunno about that

Best movie -- The Muppet Movie, and Finding Nemo. This could change, as I will soon see Monty Python and the Holy Grail for the first time. ;)

Best food - Chinese and Jewish. Scallion pancakes, kugel and corned beef -- what more can you ask for?

Renegade
November 17th, 2004, 01:14 AM
Best Book: ??? Honestly, I don't know...

Best Movie: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom or Raiders of the Lost Ark

Best Album: Probably Queen - Greatest Hits.

Best Food: Chinese food, and curry (not too pungent - thus, Indonesian curry ROCKS). Also anything my grandmother cooks... :p

Martin of Redwall II
November 17th, 2004, 09:59 AM
best movie: ROTK, Slamdunk series
book: redwall series, hp series and the bronze bow
food: italian pizza is the bomb! :D

Treerose
November 17th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Best Book: Without a doubt, the Bible. (So your answer didn't sound dumb and contrived to me, Piaras. ;)) I love a lot of books, but the Scriptures tops them all for many reasons. It's an inspiration, comfort, guide, and something that I can never read too often, as well as being a historical and literary treasure trove - it has everything.

Best Movie: The classic Star Wars trilogy, definitely. :D The main reasons for me are the story (which is just spectacular), and the peerless music (which was very important, historically speaking, too - John Williams was the one who brought the big orchestral sound back into style with this music, so it's because of him that we have so many great scores today).

Best Album: For me, classical music fan that I am, itís more of picking a piece than an album... ;) The best piece is probably Beethovenís 9th (the one that has the "Ode to Joy" in it). Simply put, classical music (and IMHO, music in general <g>) just doesnít get any better than this. Itís probably been one of the most influential pieces ever Ė even people who never listen to classical music know the Ode to Joy melody (although I think it should be against the law to cheapen great music by using this and other famous classical bits in commercials and advertisements). The symphony has universal appeal, even though we donít really get what Beethoven was doing with this. The form of the symphony is completely unusual, and has had scholars scratching their heads in puzzlement for decades, but one thing is sure - its ambiguity lets it fit every ideology, no matter how twisted, so thatís why so many wildly different organizations have claimed this as their inspirational anthem Ė everyone feels like it belongs to them. Bottom line Ė it may not be oneís favorite (it isnít my favorite, for instance), but one has to acknowledge that very few pieces in music have have had such an effect on mankind.

Best Food: Anything my mom cooks, especially at holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas. Mm.... ::starts getting hungry:: ;)

Tree

~~~~~

Thomas Thompson (clarinetist) once said that in the earlier days before orchestra unions, no one wore red shirts to orchestra rehearsals - it made one too conspicuous, and no one wanted to be that easy a target for the conductor. Conductors were quite capricious back then, so this probably isn't total exaggeration. ;)

Cheesethief
November 17th, 2004, 02:54 PM
best book: non fiction: the bible. fiction: possibly the lord of the rings. not sure on that one.

best movie: monty python and the holy grail...undecided.

best album: queen greatest hits

best food: the universally (and by this, i mean in scotland) accepted fish e' chups!