PDA

View Full Version : Review section of the site

LordTBT
December 17th, 2004, 03:50 AM
I honestly can't tell whether the information presented was written by Martin or it's the basic stuff on the backs of some of the books(and I dont want to go check), but to me it appears they are more like very detailed and revealing summaries rather than reviews, with a star-rating tacked on at the end.

Keyla
December 17th, 2004, 04:10 AM
Yes, but over time Martin has started to leave more space for opinion. Those which are simply summaries were generally written quite a few years back; more recent ones have gone beyond this to the realms of opinion and criticism, which I personally prefer. I'm not indifferent to seeing the older ones updated but I think there are other areas of the site that might merit his time better.

LordTBT
December 17th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Yes, but over time Martin has started to leave more space for opinion. Those which are simply summaries were generally written quite a few years back; more recent ones have gone beyond this to the realms of opinion and criticism, which I personally prefer. I'm not indifferent to seeing the older ones updated but I think there are other areas of the site that might merit his time better.

Yes I know theyre quite old. I prefer opinion and criticism too. I was just saying...

Cinnabarr Rivershell
December 17th, 2004, 11:49 PM
He was just trying to stimulate some bookshelf convo! Sue him! :mad:

Lonna Bowstripe
December 18th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Okay. I'll need his full name, address of residence, address and phone number of lawyer or lawyer's law firm, and identification just to make sure that he's a citizen. ;)

Martin the Warrior
December 19th, 2004, 10:59 PM
Yes, but over time Martin has started to leave more space for opinion. Those which are simply summaries were generally written quite a few years back; more recent ones have gone beyond this to the realms of opinion and criticism

Yes. In a nutshell. ;) Initially I was more concerned about telling people what the book was about and letting them form their opinion. Since... Marlfox, I guess it was... I started breaking it into two sections-- plot summary (always up to a certain point) followed by a little evaluation, which has gotten longer as the years have gone by. Slowly the two are beginning to meld. You could say it's just an evolutionary process.

As for whether I'd go back and change the older reviews into this style, I probably wouldn't unless I'd just reread the book and with my pile of books, that isn't likely to happen anytime soon. I'd rather focus on the essay section and the few reviews I still don't have done yet (Rakkety Tam & The Tale of Urso Brunov chief among them).