PDA

View Full Version : Tagg and Moses

Lonna Bowstripe
February 3rd, 2005, 09:53 PM
It just struck me, the similarites of Moses and Tagg. I was going to write an editorial about this, but I thought it would be better to have discussion.

1. Moses thought he was an Egyption. Tagg thought he was a vermin.
2. Moses was found on the water. Tagg was captured on the water.
3. Moses ran away because he killed. Tagg ran away because he couldn't kill.
4. Moses saved the Israelites. Tagg saved Redwall.
There are probably more; I can't think of them now. Do you think Moses influenced Brian?

shadowmoon
February 3rd, 2005, 11:09 PM
Plausible.
Just Tagg was an otter so it stands to reason he would be in water :)
But if you're going by the movie Prince of Egypt the tagg is different cuz while Moses hesitated bout leaving a good life, Tagg didnt because he was completely pure and good (like many of redwall's heroes and heroines). :D

LordTBT
February 3rd, 2005, 11:34 PM
Moses parted the Red Sea, Tagg parted the Mossflower River.

Moses talked to a burning bush, Tagg talked to a burning stick.

Moses turned his staff into a snake, Tagg turned a sword into an iguana.

It all makes sense!

Barrag Barr
February 4th, 2005, 03:55 AM
I don't think Brian would use a religious influence, because he may be riddaculed. Its all pretty interesting though

Ringmaster
February 4th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Plausible.
Just Tagg was an otter so it stands to reason he would be in water :)
But if you're going by the movie Prince of Egypt the tagg is different cuz while Moses hesitated bout leaving a good life, Tagg didnt because he was completely pure and good (like many of redwall's heroes and heroines). :D
Why must you say the Prince of Egypt movie. Why don't you just say the book of Exodus or something like that

Cheesethief
February 4th, 2005, 01:28 PM
My thoughts exactly. It's a fair idea, but flawed slightly. I don't believe Brian would use historical influence, at least consciously. So no.

Martin of Redwall II
February 4th, 2005, 02:27 PM
nice job lonna :D hmm...... i didnt see dat connection b/4. :p

um........... maybe... but i dnt think so..

shadowmoon
February 8th, 2005, 11:16 PM
Why must you say the Prince of Egypt movie. Why don't you just say the book of Exodus or something like that
Ive read the book of exodus. movies hav a habit of putting extra things in. I wasnt sure if moses hesitated in the real thing :confused:

Barkstripe
February 22nd, 2005, 01:50 PM
i was going to say that you shouldn't compare the bible with his books because... you know. anyways than i remebered the chronicals of narnia(which is one of my favorite series) everything in that is compared to the bible. I think you're right

Bladeswift
February 22nd, 2005, 02:51 PM
I really don't see enough similarities to say there's a conncection. The only argument that's even slightly reasonable is the part about the being found in water.

Lonna Bowstripe
February 22nd, 2005, 06:31 PM
i was going to say that you shouldn't compare the bible with his books because... you know. anyways than i remebered the chronicals of narnia(which is one of my favorite series) everything in that is compared to the bible. I think you're right
Ouch. CoN had a Christian message. RW doesn't.

Barkstripe
February 22nd, 2005, 06:46 PM
yeah you're right

Sagrived Switpaw
February 22nd, 2005, 09:37 PM
Exactily! But it still is a good thought, and i think its prity clear CoN has a christian message and redwall dosen't but what do you think of C.S Lewis wrigting buddy J.J.r Tolkine and his work? wot wot. :rolleyes:

Cheesethief
February 23rd, 2005, 12:20 PM
I don't think it has as direct a point as Narnia. Despite it being a lot better....
Perhaps one could argue it, but I'm fairly sure. Martin is the authority on Lord of the Rings, so he'll know.

Lonna Bowstripe
February 23rd, 2005, 08:30 PM
Tolkien was a good Cathlotic, besides stating that it was based on the Bible. The Ring is sin, Lembas is Sacrament, Gandalf is an angel, Sauron is Satan, pretty obvious.

Martin the Warrior
February 24th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Tolkien did admit that The Lord of the Rings was largely a Catholic piece of work, and he was a devout Catholic himself.

I've never seen anything directly from Tolkien comparing Lembas to Sacrament (and the Ring with sin might be a tad too simplistic). It's true Gandalf is an angellic being (of the lesser order), however Sauron is not the Satan character. The more accurate representation would be Morgoth-- the fallen member of the Valar (the higher order of angels), to whom Sauron was no more than a servant.

Lonna Bowstripe
February 24th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Actually, don't you mean Melkor?

Badrang3
February 24th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Melkor and Morgoth are the same guy.

Martin the Warrior
February 25th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Actually, don't you mean Melkor?

As Badrang said, it's the same individual.

Melkor was named "Morgoth" by FŽanor following his treachery.

Marlfoxes
February 27th, 2005, 11:46 AM
very true but wuznt Iluvatar basically god?

Badrang3
February 27th, 2005, 12:03 PM
More or less.

Lonna Bowstripe
February 27th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Iluvator. "The One." The name slipped my mind. Anyway, probably the most symbolic referance to Christianity is in the first chapter of the "Simmirillian." The Creation, Melkor wanting to be like Iluvator, ect.